00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RIOTxANON06 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Segregation Where You Live

1,528 Views | 21 Replies

Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 04:50:20

I remember a month ago I was talking about this with a guy who's in his 50s and grew up in my city, and has lived all around the country, and been to all around the world. He told me about how segregated my city it seems and it's kinda messed up thinking about it.

Some of the neighborhoods where I live are really just predominantly white, and the other neighborhoods predominantly Latino/Mexican-American. There aren't too many places where it's an equal mix of them. Asians are the second largest minority and they're just scattered around. My mom is a Chinese immigrant and our family is one of the few Asian people in this condo neighborhood, with just one Filipino family and I think a Korean couple. Blacks are a smaller minority, like 3% or less here, and they kinda live in concentrated areas but there aren't many.

Segregation just kinda sucks, because it seems awkward. My high school was 30% Latino and 3% black, but in the honors classes which I saw, there were little to none of them. The average honors class would be all white except for about two to five Asian kids. Occasionally there'd be one Hispanic student. In the lowered-leveled classes, there were about two to four white kids, and the rest were Latino and one or two blacks, and one Asian kid (make it one-and-a-half if it included me). I remember how kids in those classes always pointed out there were so few white kids and they felt weird about it.

There's a high school in my city that's 80% Latino. My neighbor works at the school I'm in now as a like a campus supervisor, and he's of Mexican descent (he can't even speak much Spanish and his family has been here forever) and he says being in very white schools he was picked on a lot and had to transfer to the majority-Hispanic school and felt more comfortable. He says the city we live in is somewhat racist.

I just pity the fact that sometimes we as a people can't blend in together no matter out background, but it seems like income plays a large roll in this.

What do you think of segregation like this, and would you even consider it so? Does stuff like this happen where you live?

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 04:51:14

You racist! you should get crucified

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 04:55:37

At 7/25/11 04:54 AM, Boxxy wrote: ctrl + F "Chinese"

2nd paragraph, sentence 3

Looking at your profile, you're obviously a waste of anybody's time.

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 04:56:39

Meh my city at times has been the most segregated in the U.S. There is literally lines that divide different ethnic groups.

We even have a joke around here(although I keep forgetting which street the bridge is on).

What's the easiest way to get from Africa to Mexico? The 35th bridge. Because on one side it's exclusively latino's and on the other side it's exclusively blacks(obviously with patches here of other races) but it's pretty consistent.

Currently I'm one of the only white people in my neighborhood, which happens to be a pre-dominantly black area.

Heroine houses all around.

BBS Signature

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 05:31:11

At 7/25/11 05:13 AM, Boxxy wrote:
At 7/25/11 04:55 AM, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
At 7/25/11 04:54 AM, Boxxy wrote: ctrl + F "Chinese"

2nd paragraph, sentence 3
):

I still love you :(((

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 05:49:55

Central Florida is almost ALL latino.my old school was 78% or so of hispanics,and i live right next to it.funny enough,the black population was less than 5%.

Did i mention orange county alone has over a million people(orlando) and a big chunk of it is latino? Just a bit of enlightenment for you.

And to answer your question,ive never really been segregated because its all hispanics down here.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 06:23:50

Let's see...I live on an Indian reservation, next to a town where the primary language up to the 1940's was Norwegian, in what is probably the most rural bedroom community to ever be right next to a city, with the exception of the half-dead urban slum that inspired the Sir Mixalot song 'Bremelo.' Oh, and all the rich people live on an island that only has one bridge connecting to the mainland, incidentally as fair away from the slum as possible and connected to the Indian reservation on the other end.

Segregation here? Nawwwwww.

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 07:13:24

I've lived around Cheetham Hill in Manchester all of my life and have witnessed segregation occuring and all people do is complain and say how it used to be. I complain with them though. Asians have taken over the bottom of Cheetham Hill including shops and residential areas and they have continued to rise in numbers and take over the village bit by bit. They don't integrate with the community and just colonise and breed. The Jewish used to dominate that area but have since taken over the upper part joining Prestwich. They also do not integrate and keep very much to themselves and their community/area. Recently there has been a surge in Polish immigrants in the area so people complain about that now.

It's the ignorance and arrogance of some of these people that I have a problem with. It would be nice to walk down the street and hear an English accent or even them speaking English. Few of them care to learn.

I know people that hold different views and am quite shocked at how racist some people can be. It depends where and how you were brought up.

BOOM, baby.

BBS Signature

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 08:21:08

My hometown was one of the last in the country to "desegregate" although it wasn't segregated in the sense of deliberate separation (although apparently there was an issue with segregated public housing but that's before my time).

Anyways, the schools here were ruled to be segregated by a federal court in 1986. Kids had been required to go to their neighborhood schools, since no busing was provided. So kids in nicer areas went to better schools, you get the picture. That's pretty much the extent of any segregation here, although now there are buses provided for students, so they can go to whatever school they choose.

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 09:25:35

It's because races tend to band up with their own race.
If you don't have your race where are you supposed to turn to?

Photoshop Me!

BBS Signature

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 09:56:15

At 7/25/11 09:25 AM, treedude wrote: It's because races tend to band up with their own race.

You summed up what I was going to say. People in my area(Philadelphia Suburb) have their own neighborhoods in Bristol Township, Pennsylvania such as:

Bloomsdale-Fleetwing Neighborhood(predominately African-American)
Venice Ashby(Hispanics & Blacks)

There are a lot of Polish-only, Jewish-only and a neighborhood for Homosexuals/Transgenders in Downtown Philadelphia which is probably the same case for most major cities.

Without money, there is no justice.

BBS Signature

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 15:41:35

At 7/25/11 09:25 AM, treedude wrote: It's because races tend to band up with their own race.

Why not just blend together?

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 15:46:03

At 7/25/11 03:41 PM, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
Why not just blend together?

I live in a neighborhood with a redneck to the right, a Russian to the left, a Chinese to the front, and an Italian two blocks down. Each one has his/her style of living, as do I. It'd become very weird to see the different lifestyles and opinions of each--but after a while, everyone would get along. The fact that they don't want to try it out is the reason why we don't blend together.

At least, that's what I think.

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 15:57:47

Everywhere is mixed in the city where I live apart from the 3 poorest neighbourhoods, which are all white.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 16:22:26

Half the people in my neighborhood are mexican.

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 16:22:59

At 7/25/11 04:55 AM, EddyFromEEnE wrote:

i never knew there was a ctrl-f that was not at all a waste of my time it was useful!

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 16:25:49

My city is somewhat like that expect everyone chooses to be segregated. All the latinos here, all the whites here, etc. I guess its more comfortable living with your own people.

To moist to burn

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 16:27:48

My town has a lot of hispanic and portuguese living here, but I wouldn't consider us segregated.

At least, until the World Cup starts...

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 17:03:45

Ever heard the term "wrong side of the tracks"? Well my the black and spanish neighborhoods are separated by train tracks. My middle school was right in the middle of two neighborhoods so the school was half black and half mexican. The school staff seemed pretty diverse in the same way except for the principals who were all black. So much racism happened in that school. Good times.

Sig by BabiesAteMyDingo

BBS Signature

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 17:51:56

At 7/25/11 05:33 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Also, another reason why I think you're a dick.

When people point out that you mention that you're Chinese in every single one of your threads, and we point it out, you make stupid comebacks that make no sense.

ok

Also: Judging by YOUR profile, you haven't contributed ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY HELPFUL.

What the fuck is a Pigletface?

Hahaha. I used to make a lot of Flash movies when I was on Newgrounds, in 2007-2008. I've made A LOT of Flash movies, and helped a number of people on how to make Flash too back in the days. While now I've stopped making Flash movies and seriously lost interest in doing so, I've done something back in the old days.

Do you really think most people on the BBS who make topics contribute to anything useful? What is useful on this site, that isn't related to making Flash or audio?

if anyone's not contributing anything, IT'S YOU. You go to my threads posting irrelevant nonsense calling me an asshole and whatnot. That's NOT helping. It's just spreading negativity that we don't need.

it's also kinda creepy how many topics of mine you post in.

You are CLEARLY Fbombcitykid, which just makes me hate you even more.

wow I'm some old alt account with a number of posts and you're accusing me of being that person. now that I've been exposed, I feel like I can't

You are one of the few users I wish never joined Newgrounds in the first place, and strongly believe the site would be better if you never did.

end of rant.

I've been on Newgrounds much longer than you, and don't ever bring up the fact I signed up in this account very recently, because it's not relevant. I know NG better than you, I know NG better than most people here.

I'm not gonna argue with you because it's gonna derail my thread. most likely if you respond to this I won't even care and just ignore it.

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 18:01:24

At 7/25/11 05:20 PM, ClockworkSpace wrote: Sums it up pretty well.
Please, just don't make threads. Or if you do, don't include the word "chinese" or "asian".

Only one of my last 30 posts mentions either of those words, so 97% of my posts have nothing to do with it. Stop making stuff up.

Response to Segregation Where You Live 2011-07-25 18:16:31

At 7/25/11 06:08 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Yes, but the ones BEFORE IT almost always mention it.

And your threads always do.

Does it count if I post about a band that has Asian people in it? But I checked the last four topics I made, and only one of them mentioned anything Chinese, and it was this one, and I barely mentioned it. Two threads I made before that, only one of them mentioned China because I was mentioning about my cousin that I met in China.

That's 2/6, so 1/3. About one-third of my topics mention a substance of China or Asians or more. So I guess that may be a lot to someone.

And even if I did do it a lot in the past, why would you bring it up again? Shouldn't you be kinda rewarding me for improving? It's like going up to a young prisoner who used to commit a lot of crimes years ago and is now improving a lot and stopping drug use and telling him he's a pathetic criminal and druggie.