New Topic Respond to this Topic
psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 05:49 PM Reply

I currently have $360 and my goal is to get $1500. Currently saving a lot of money for it. All that money will be used to build a new computer.

What I am thinking about putting in it.
A Intel quad processor
A 2 gig video card (maybe more)
8 gigs of memory
Terabyte hard drive

What motherboard, power supply, fans, heat sink, case, and what else I still haven't decided yet. Case will come last though. I think $1500 will be way more than enough to make a powerful gaming computer, will be saving more for it even after I reach the $1500 mark.

So what do you think, any suggestions?

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Get an AMD processor instead. They're the same quality and a lot cheaper. You could probably get a new 6-core AMD CPU for the price of that Intel quad core. A lot of people are die-hard Intel fanboys but I can assure you that AMD is a good choice.

psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 05:53 PM Reply

At 7/24/11 05:51 PM, bgraybr wrote: Get an AMD processor instead. They're the same quality and a lot cheaper. You could probably get a new 6-core AMD CPU for the price of that Intel quad core. A lot of people are die-hard Intel fanboys but I can assure you that AMD is a good choice.

Thanks, not sure what I would need with a 6 core though. I will check out the AMD one, see how that is. Probably will just get the quad core as that itself seems enough, but then again I might go for the six.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 7/24/11 05:53 PM, psycho-squirrel wrote: Thanks, not sure what I would need with a 6 core though. I will check out the AMD one, see how that is. Probably will just get the quad core as that itself seems enough, but then again I might go for the six.

I don't know, computers advance pretty quickly. If you're willing to spend the money now something bigger than a quad core might be worth it.

I'm running a quad core now, when it was new it was the same price as some of the big higher end ones now. :/ It's worth looking at anyways.

I don't know anything about video cards though, I have a one gig and it runs most modern games okay. I would buy a four gig if I could find one that's not mind rapingly expensive.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:05 PM Reply

AMD is the way to go. You will save a hell of a lot of money, and as the guy above said AMD Phenom x6 will be a very future proof option and cheaper than many of the high end Intel x4 CPUs.

As for the motherboard, just get one that supports your CPU. Motherboards aren't too expensive, and you can probably get one with stuff like USB 3.0 and Crossfire support pretty cheaply now.

PSU, just go for something around 650w+. The main thing when buying a PSU as you probably know is to get one from a trusted brand, mine for example is a Corsair. Cheap crappy PSUs often go wrong.

Case fans just go for Cooler Master, they do great stuff. And for the heat sink, just Google for whatever the best one is for your CPU. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 (955), and I use this heatsink. Its great for overclocking and as a bonus it looks pretty cool.

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature
psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:05 PM Reply

Looked up a few videos about amd vs intel and it seems like intel is the better choice if money isn't a concern. I might get intel, since the cost isnt a concern and because it seems like you have more options with the intel than with the amd, and I like having more options.

BBS Signature
psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:07 PM Reply

I probably should of mentioned that this will be a gaming computer, and have it s it can run games like crysis 2 on all max without breaking a sweat.

BBS Signature
LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 7/24/11 06:07 PM, psycho-squirrel wrote: I probably should of mentioned that this will be a gaming computer, and have it s it can run games like crysis 2 on all max without breaking a sweat.

Figured that out dude.

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 7/24/11 06:07 PM, psycho-squirrel wrote: I probably should of mentioned that this will be a gaming computer, and have it s it can run games like crysis 2 on all max without breaking a sweat.

The AMD hardware should have no problem with that. IMO with Intel you're paying extra for a brand, but it's your decision.

redzone
redzone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:15 PM Reply

Why not just buy a computer?

misterchees0
misterchees0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:20 PM Reply

If you're actually willing to dish out 1500$ for a computer, you should check into Water cooling. Just my two cents.. Also go for the 4 core processor. Computers advance so fast that by the time you've saved up 1500$ there will probably be a 16 core processor.

Anyways!

I invented Gnoming. Don't believe me?

BBS Signature
nVicious
nVicious
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:23 PM Reply

Are you going to use if for gaming? Try to dish out a lot of money for a video card.

To moist to burn

treedude
treedude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:27 PM Reply

I found a refurbished PC on Ebay very very cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-DX4320-6-Cor e-8GB-1.5TB-Desktop---Refurb/31033288333 5?_trksid=p1468660.m2000037

Original Price $799

Refurbished $459.99

Six Core
8GB of Ram
1.5 TB Hard Drive
1 GB ATI Video Memory
Comes with Windows 7 Home Premium.

This is probably the cheapest computer I've ever seen with 6 Cores and 8 Gigs of Ram Pre-installed.

Building a computer.

Photoshop Me!

BBS Signature
LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:28 PM Reply

At 7/24/11 06:20 PM, misterchees0 wrote: If you're actually willing to dish out 1500$ for a computer, you should check into Water cooling. Just my two cents.. Also go for the 4 core processor. Computers advance so fast that by the time you've saved up 1500$ there will probably be a 16 core processor.

Anyways!

I can buy a Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz for £120, that's what, around $200? That really isn't that expensive.

BBS Signature
treedude
treedude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:54 PM Reply

At 7/24/11 06:27 PM, treedude wrote: I found a refurbished PC on Ebay very very cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-DX4320-6-Cor e-8GB-1.5TB-Desktop---Refurb/31033288333 5?_trksid=p1468660.m2000037

Original Price $799

Refurbished $459.99

Six Core
8GB of Ram
1.5 TB Hard Drive
1 GB ATI Video Memory
Comes with Windows 7 Home Premium.

This is probably the cheapest computer I've ever seen with 6 Cores and 8 Gigs of Ram Pre-installed.

By the way, it says its overclocked from 2.9 GHz to 3.2 GHz for the 6 Cores.

Photoshop Me!

BBS Signature
andy70707
andy70707
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 06:55 PM Reply

Don't buy an AMD.

Look here. It's a list of high-end CPUs by absolute computing speed. If you look at the top, the fastest are all Intels. Nothing compares to the quality of a genuine intel CPU. Don't buy a CPU because of price, clock speed, or number of cores. I actually chose a quad-core i5 @2.8GHz over a similar one at 3.3GHz, simply because of the benchmarks. I also used to buy AMD, because tehy were cheaper for a similar clock speed, however, a quad core AMD athlon which is the last AMD chip I have will only benchmark at about 10GFLOPS, whilst my i5 clocked at the same speed with the same amount of cores benchmarks at 40. My core 2 duo laptop @2.1GHz benchmarks also at 10GFLOPS. (another good way of benchmarking CPUs is by using linpack, which is where the FLOP measurements come from). Google it.

Anyway, for the rest of your question, make sure you buy good hardware, but don't get ripped off. For example, with the ram, check the capacity and speed (and possibly the latency, but they all seem to be about the same). I bought cheap £10/module 1gb server ram @1.33GHz, whilst simlar "gaming ram" which had a big blue heatsink but was otherwise identical, was about £40/module, the price I payed for all 4gb.

For a graphics card, I would always recommend XFX, they are a good company that make good quality cards. They are expensive, but so far, none of them have ever broken or gone wrong. My MSI card overheated, and my sapphire card drew all the power away from my motherboard. As for nVidia/ATI, I think they are both the same performance wise. I have always preferred nVidia, but it's just a personal preference. With graphics cards, look for the clock speed, GPU model (check wikipedia for latest models, newer=better), Direct X support, ram speed, onboard ram (carefully check this is onboard ram. I have seen plenty of "1GB" cards that only have 512mb onboard and use 512 system ram).

For your motherboard, I would recommend something like a gigabyte or asus. I have a gigabyte at the moment, but asus are also good. Just try and avoid the cheap ones (ecs, msi, foxconn). ASrock are good mid-price boards. Deciding on a board is mainly down to connectivity. Firstly, check the CPU socket, then ram sockets, and then expansion ports and I/O ports.

For a hard drive, do NOT get a seagate. I have heard mixed opinions, and frankly they used to be a very good company, I still have a running drive from the 1990s, but all new drives I have bought have died within a year. I always buy hitachi, but toshiba and samsung are good too. Make sure it has a sata interface, preferably sata-II, or even sata-III. Disk speed is pretty standard at 7200RPM, don't get a 5400 or it will be slow. A larger buffer also helps speed things up.

I usually buy arctic cooling heatsinks. The Arctic Cooler 7 is a universal Intel/AMD heatsink that covers many sockets. Don't use the stock cooler, you won't be able to overclock and it will run as hot as a laptop. Thermal compond is also tricky to apply correctly, there are plenty of good videos on the internet. Check the temperature with CPUID's HWmonitor, If its any hotter than about 40 degrees idle, you're doing it wrong. Don't use the silicone or ceramic based compound either. Silver is good, but I would avoid it as it is a pain to clean off if you re-apply. I use arctic cooling mx-4 or nano-diamond.

Power supply can be anything really, I haven't ever really had a bad one, but I wouldn't buy the cheapest I can find. If you want to spend a lot of money on it, go for a modular one, it really helps cable management. I don't really ever go for a specific brand, just a mid-range modular supply.

I would make sure you get a good, sturdy case too. I got a cheap £30 case as it's just a case and only has to hold everything, but I don't like it much as the screw threads have come of, the side panels bend, and the racks have bent under the weight of everything. So I would definitely get a decent case, but don't spend too much just for visual appearance.

Again, definitely don't just buy a processor for it's clock speed or amount of cores. If you don't believe me, look at the benchmark for a 4GHz Pentium 4 vs a 1GHz i7. True, the i7 has more cores, but it's benchmark will be about 10-20 times that of the P4.

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature
psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 24th, 2011 @ 08:22 PM Reply

Should I get a hard drive or a Solid State drive?

BBS Signature
andy70707
andy70707
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 08:01 AM Reply

At 7/24/11 08:22 PM, psycho-squirrel wrote: Should I get a hard drive or a Solid State drive?

It depends on what you want to use it for. I have always bought standard spinning drives, provided they are good quality, but mainly because SSDs are so expensive. If you have enough money, go for it, they are a lot faster and they have no moving parts, so they can't easily break. If you can't afford a large one, buy a 64GB or 128GB SSD and use it for your boot drive/programs so it runs quick, and use a spinning drive for your files.

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature
lucatheawsome
lucatheawsome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 08:51 AM Reply

At 7/24/11 05:51 PM, bgraybr wrote: Get an AMD processor instead. They're the same quality and a lot cheaper. You could probably get a new 6-core AMD CPU for the price of that Intel quad core. A lot of people are die-hard Intel fanboys but I can assure you that AMD is a good choice.

dont get amd there shit
i recommend getting
1024w psu
i have 16 gig ram 4 of these
and devo get a nvidia over ati
ati are good but games work better on nvidia since nvidia sposner most games
the card i have

btw if your thinking of getting water cooling dont
its shit

disregard females acquire currency
NG irc :D

BBS Signature
lucatheawsome
lucatheawsome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 08:52 AM Reply

At 7/24/11 06:20 PM, misterchees0 wrote: If you're actually willing to dish out 1500$ for a computer, you should check into Water cooling

water cooling is so shit its loaud as fuck not as cool as a good fan and eventully breaks

disregard females acquire currency
NG irc :D

BBS Signature
KingPin727
KingPin727
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 08:56 AM Reply

My friends making a computer to, but I see no point in it.

066pop
066pop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 09:03 AM Reply

Go for AMD (less pricey CPUs). Start looking at the motherboard first and work your way around it.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 09:21 AM Reply

At 7/24/11 08:22 PM, psycho-squirrel wrote: Should I get a hard drive or a Solid State drive?

If you're going to get an SSD, you should also get an HDD. The SSD is for high read/write priority storage like your OS/applications/games, the HDD is for things that don't require high read/write, like music and video files, or programs where you don't care about load speed.

Right now I'm running 60 GB on SSD and 3 TB on HDD. A 2 TB HDD (I'd recommend the WD caviar green line for this use) is pretty cheap and should provide most of your bulk storage needs for a while.

psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 09:28 AM Reply

At 7/25/11 08:01 AM, andy70707 wrote:
It depends on what you want to use it for. I have always bought standard spinning drives, provided they are good quality, but mainly because SSDs are so expensive. If you have enough money, go for it, they are a lot faster and they have no moving parts, so they can't easily break. If you can't afford a large one, buy a 64GB or 128GB SSD and use it for your boot drive/programs so it runs quick, and use a spinning drive for your files.

They dont seem too expensive. I saw some on newegg that cost like $229 for a 128GB. I dont see any terabyte ones though, so I might then just buy a HDD instead.

BBS Signature
Josh
Josh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 7/24/11 06:15 PM, redzone wrote: Why not just buy a computer?

It is a lot cheaper, more customizable and reliable than buying a pre-made computer from a store.

Like I said, you can choose what you want in the computer without sacrificing a whole lot of money trying to find a pre-made computer to suit your needs.

Without money, there is no justice.

BBS Signature
Farza
Farza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 09:59 AM Reply

Heh, I suggest getting a Mac;)

I am a FAB

BBS Signature
psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 10:06 AM Reply

At 7/25/11 09:59 AM, Farza wrote: Heh, I suggest getting a Mac;)

1. They are super expensive
2. You are limited as to what games and tech you can use
3. shut the fuck up.

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 10:09 AM Reply

At 7/24/11 06:15 PM, redzone wrote: Why not just buy a computer?

Because you may get ripped off.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

BBS Signature
Rage
Rage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to Building a computer. Jul. 25th, 2011 @ 11:40 AM Reply

At 7/24/11 06:05 PM, LulzCal wrote: AMD is the way to go. You will save a hell of a lot of money, and as the guy above said AMD Phenom x6 will be a very future proof option and cheaper than many of the high end Intel x4 CPUs.

People like this who are saying AMD is better have no idea what they're talking about. AMD is so behind the game right now that it's embarrassing. It's not even a question of who is a fanboy of who, but more of a "Why the hell has AMD been standing still for the past several years" sort of thing. In other words, evidently you guys don't really keep up with hardware much because AMD sucks ass right now if you're looking to build a new computer. It's gotten so silly that even Intel's quad cores completely destroy AMD's six cores, even in multithreaded tasks like 3D rendering. Don't take my word for it, there's plenty of evidence online.

Chart on the left: Gaming benchmark for L4D2, starting from the top. All the blue bars are Intel processors, with the first AMD processor (green) showing up in 21st place with the Phemon X4 980 black edition.

Chart on the right: A more multithreaded benchmark, with AMD showing up in 19th place with the Phenom II X6 1100T. It's behind a bunch of 4-cores despite having 6.

Those two processors are among AMD's best offerings. Here's to hoping that AMD's bulldozer architecture brings some actual competition to the market. Normally I wouldn't post something so verbose like this, but you guys actually had the poor OP looking in to AMD processors on a $1500 budget and it just had to stop.

Building a computer.

BBS Signature