New Topic Respond to this Topic
CM
CM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Better yet, name 5 bands touring that you think play better live than MMJ.

XBL GT: ELTON JOHN 1111
ALSO, DICKS.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 05:56 PM Reply

Between The Buried And Me are a great live band from what I've seen, I couldn't actually tell that they were playing live for the first part of the song I listened to, I thought somebody had put the original album version over the video.

But I guess it's not all about sound. In my opinion Green Day are the best live artist, they play the songs well and include the crowd in the sets to no end. From little call-outs between songs to getting crowd members to actually play their songs for them.

I've always wanted to see them ever since I saw Bullet In A Bible.

inb4 greendayh8
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 06:00 PM Reply

I don't know My Morning Jacket but Local Natives is incredible live... incredible.

CM
CM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 06:12 PM Reply

Gogol Bordello is the funnest set I've ever been to. Bonnaroo gave them a LN this year and they fucking killed it.

ALSO, DICKS.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 8/31/11 05:51 PM, CM wrote: Better yet, name 5 bands touring that you think play better live than MMJ.

Easily.

Explosions in the Sky
Muse
Mastodon
And So I Watch You From Afar
The Computers
Dananananaykroyd
Death From Above 1979
OFWGKTA

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 8/31/11 06:16 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
The Computers

I couldn't tell when they finished or started a song. They all sound exactly the same when played live, especially because the screaming sounds the same (obviously), and the drum beats are all the same. Those two things being the only instruments you can here at one of their gigs.

Well, that was my experience with seeing them.

They were good fun though, I'll give them that, lead singer went a bit crazy.

CM
CM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 8/31/11 06:16 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 8/31/11 05:51 PM, CM wrote: Better yet, name 5 bands touring that you think play better live than MMJ.
Easily.

Explosions in the Sky
Muse
Mastodon
The Computers
Dananananaykroyd
Death From Above 1979
OFWGKTA

DFA1979, EITS, Muse are good live but still no MMJ. And rapping over backing tracks and shouting GOLF WANG and SWAG does not come close to the talent MMJ has.

ALSO, DICKS.

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 06:41 PM Reply

Heh, wang. Reading all these comments about DFA being good live makes me look forward to seeing them so much more. Also MMJ are pretty boring.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 06:51 PM Reply

At 8/31/11 06:41 PM, Dromedary wrote: Heh, wang. Reading all these comments about DFA being good live makes me look forward to seeing them so much more.

My older brother came back from Osheaga (festival in Montreal) and said he couldn't stop thinking about DFA79 for days after.

AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 05:44 PM Reply

Last night I went to see:

Kamelot
Alestorm
Blackguard
The Agonist

It was a sold out show in Worcester, Massachusetts! I got there around 4 or so, despite the doors not opening until 7 and the show not starting until 8. But it was an easy way to get front row for the whole show and chill with friends. :)

The Agonist went on first and they played for 30 minutes. The music they play is, in all honesty, just deathcore with some melodic death metal elements.

Their drummer was pretty fast and mildly technical and overall interesting to watch, but musically he wasn't doing anything groovish or interesting - just wanking. Their bassist and one of their guitarists were absolutely worthless, they were basically both just playing mindless chugs and notes all throughout their set without any real melody or technicality. Vocally they were pretty lame, it just sounded like she was trying to sound like the singer of Arch Enemy constantly. (which isn't that good)

However, I would like to say that the second of their two guitarists was quite amazing. He kept playing amazing sweeps and was pretty much the only melodic sounding member of the band, and he played like all of their solos besides one. He was pretty kickass. Oh yeah, and their singer was awesome eyecandy. ;D

Blackguard were second and also played for 30 minutes. This is somewhere between my sixth and ninth time seeing them, unfortunately. Basically their sets in a nutshell: Children Of Bodom worship and fans that think they're way better then they actually are. Nothing much to say here, as there's nothing much to say about blackguard.

The crowd basically reacted the same to both Blackguard and The Agonist: A little moshing, a little headbanging, some cheering and that's pretty much it. Nothing overly intense or violent though, and maybe one crowdsurfer for each band's entire set. Haha

Then Alestorm came on, and this is when the show TRULY started for me. They had a 45 set and it was full of craziness! Most of the crowd exploded into moshpits, sustained headbanging, constant crowdsurfing, sing alongs, etc. for their entire set!

Alestorm's setlist:
1. Back Through Time
2. Shipwrecked
3. Wenches and Mead
4. Nancy The Tavern Wench
5. Wolves of the Sea (Pirates of the Sea cover)
6. The Sunk'n Norwegian
7. Heavy Metal Pirates
8. Captain Morgan's Revenge
9. Keelhauled

While, technically speaking, none of Alestorm's members are THAT talented they were quite fun and spectacular to watch! Also, their keytar is gorgeous and their vocalist/keytarist randomly broke out into playing the final countdown for like a minute during Wenches And Mead before returning to their own song. It was awesome.

Then came Kamelot, and my pants became drenched with jizz. (as if they weren't already drenched with sweat)

As you may know, Kamelot's famous vocalist Roy Khan left the band earlier this year. In his place was Fabio Lione, known primarily for his vocals in Rhapsody Of Fire!

They were also joined by some cute Elize Ryd chick on backing vocals for most of the show, she pretty much stood next to the drum set dancing and singing. And they were also joined by Simone Simons of Epica for "The Haunting" and she's gorgeous as all hell in person! Always amazing to see/hear her in person. <3

Kamelot's setlist:
01. Rule The World
02. Ghost Opera
03. The Great Pandemonium
04. The Human Stain
05. Center Of The Universe
06. Abandoned
07. When the Lights Are Down
08. Soul Society
09. Keyboard Solo (2-3 minutes long)
10. EdenEcho
11. The Haunting (With Simone Simons)
12. Necropolis
13. Drum Solo (2-3 minutes long)
14. Forever
ENCORE:
15. Bass Solo (2-3 minutes long)
16. Karma
17. The Fourth Legacy
ENCORE 2:
18. March of Mephisto

They were perfection, Fabio's vocals are better then even khan's live and the light and smoke machines, combined with a gorgeous stage presence and a crowd which rocked out and knew every word easily made this one of the best shows of the year! Easily beating the Kamelot shows I attended in 2005 and 2008 as well!

I also scored a kamelot guitar pick! :D

At 8/31/11 06:16 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Explosions in the Sky
Muse
Mastodon
Death From Above 1979

All of these bands are incredible!

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 8/31/11 06:00 PM, Makeshift wrote: I don't know My Morning Jacket but Local Natives is incredible live... incredible.

The second time I saw Local Natives, We Are Scientists came on stage during the second half of Sun Hands to join in.

Describe your jealousy below.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 9/1/11 06:03 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Describe your jealousy below.

mmmmmmmmmh

I tried to find it, but I found this and now I'm going to spend a few more minutes listening to this shit.

hmmmmmmmmm

CM
CM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 07:06 PM Reply

Any of you been to a Lightning Bolt show? Heard great things and hoping to catch them soon.

ALSO, DICKS.

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 9/1/11 05:44 PM, AniMetal wrote: Last night I went to see:

Awww you chose us over metal hell. <3 But seriously, they were pretty good reviews. The use of the word 'Jizz' was spectacular.

Also Alestorm are fucking weird

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 08:56 PM Reply

At 9/1/11 08:35 PM, Dromedary wrote: Awww you chose us over metal hell. <3

Well, I figure it's more logical to make the reviews in here and just post the link in the metal hell rather then the other way around. I would've copied and pasted the review in both threads, but I felt like that would've been a bit cheap.

But seriously, they were pretty good reviews. The use of the word 'Jizz' was spectacular.

Haha thanks.

They're funny as fuck though.

At 9/1/11 07:06 PM, CM wrote: Any of you been to a Lightning Bolt show? Heard great things and hoping to catch them soon.

I haven't, but my older brother was obsessed with them for like two months and went to see them. He said it was one of the most overly violent shows he's ever been to.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
TruBluFoxx
TruBluFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 2nd, 2011 @ 03:23 AM Reply

Anybody go to Mayhem? My friend wnt and gots me swag. Also is anybody planing on going to the 48 hour tour in las vegas? I really wanna go, and my friend and I are tryn to save up. The lineup looks killer. Also.does anyone know the full lineup for the holloween hootnanny?

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 2nd, 2011 @ 04:42 AM Reply

At 9/1/11 08:56 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 9/1/11 08:35 PM, Dromedary wrote:
They're funny as fuck though.

Scottish Pirate Metal, I always found that hilarious.

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 11th, 2011 @ 12:09 PM Reply

Saw some good bands two nights ago, despite being removed from the premises three times, a good night was had by all!

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 11th, 2011 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 9/11/11 12:09 PM, Dromedary wrote: despite being removed from the premises three times

no gays allowed?

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 11th, 2011 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 9/11/11 12:48 PM, Snuff wrote:
At 9/11/11 12:09 PM, Dromedary wrote: despite being removed from the premises three times
no gays allowed?

I was wondering why you weren't there.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 11th, 2011 @ 07:19 PM Reply

Just got back from seeing TesseracT, Chimp Spanner and Uneven Structure.

Uneven Structure only got to play a few songs, they were probably the heaviest band there. Good too, shame the crowd wasn't really warmed up when they performed. Chimp Spanner were brilliant, the drummer is a monster and everything was played perfectly. TesseracT fantastic and the most energetic, the new lead singer is a friendly guy too, probably not as good as the previous vocalist (but that's really hard to top) but still worthy.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 11th, 2011 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 9/11/11 05:54 PM, Dromedary wrote:
At 9/11/11 12:48 PM, Snuff wrote:
no gays allowed?
I was wondering why you weren't there.

Well played sir, well played.

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 20th, 2011 @ 08:02 AM Reply

At 9/11/11 07:19 PM, JaY11 wrote: Chimp Spanner

Is that supposed to be an alternative to monkey wrench or something?

DFA SOON EEEE

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:54 PM Reply

I've gone to various shows over the past few days:

On the 17th I saw Evergrey, Powerglove & The Absence.
On the 19th I saw Opeth & Katatonia.
On the 20th I saw Kyuss, The Sword, Milligram & Monstro.

I will also be seeing Primus with unknown openers tomorrow, and Enslaved + Junius + Alcest + Frozen on monday.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 22nd, 2011 @ 03:24 PM Reply

Saw Between the Buried and Me and Animals as Leaders last night, it was immense.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 22nd, 2011 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 9/22/11 03:24 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Saw Between the Buried and Me

Man I really want to see them some time. What stuff did they play?

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 22nd, 2011 @ 06:34 PM Reply

At 9/22/11 02:54 PM, AniMetal wrote: I've gone to various shows over the past few days:

Quite a few names I recognised, which means they must be pretty big! What were the prices like?

At 9/22/11 05:46 PM, Snuff wrote: Man I really want to see them some time. What stuff did they play?

Yeah, ALA are better though... Anyway, that seems like a strange combination if they were sharing a gig.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 22nd, 2011 @ 07:03 PM Reply

At 9/22/11 05:46 PM, Snuff wrote:
At 9/22/11 03:24 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Saw Between the Buried and Me
Man I really want to see them some time. What stuff did they play?

He got to see them play a special set (Colors in it's entirety) ;___;

I just got back from the same gig (different place) and for me they played a mix of things from Colors, The Great Misdirect, The Parallax, and Alaska.

AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 9/22/11 06:34 PM, Dromedary wrote: Quite a few names I recognised, which means they must be pretty big! What were the prices like?

The Evergrey/Powerglove/The Absence show was only 20 bucks.

But I actually got into that show for free because i'm really good friends with Nick(bass) and Bassil(drums) of powerglove - they're from my state and I know from other concerts along with animeboston. haha

The Opeth/Katatonia show was 30 bucks, but I bought my ticket at the door for 25 from someone with a spare.

Kyuss/The Sword/Milligram/Monstro was 35 bucks, but VERY worth it - Kyuss alone is worth that much, the rest of the bands were just bonus.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Concert/Gig Goer's Association Sep. 23rd, 2011 @ 05:01 AM Reply

At 9/22/11 07:03 PM, JaY11 wrote:
He got to see them play a special set (Colors in it's entirety) ;___;

Aw shit I heard about that. Sounds awesome, though I'd prefer to see The Great Misdirect in it's entirety personally. Even though Prequel To The Sequel live is insane.