New Topic Respond to this Topic
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:12 PM Reply

If you found out a good friends of yours or just an acquaintance of yours in a class or at a job is illegal, how would you react?

In my history class last year, the majority of the kids in that class were Latinos. Most of them were recent-arrived immigrants. Most of them are very nice kids but they seem to come from troubled backgrounds and none of their parents can speak much English at all. But what's kinda disturbing is that some of them told me they're not here legally, or they have a lot of relatives here legally.

I just saw something on the news about the massive amount of undocumented workers in California and it's just kinda disturbing. I mean, I like immigrants, my mom is a Chinese immigrant and I would love my Chinese relatives to move to the US if they wanted to, but it's just kinda rude to just barge in here like that and take away your job and not speak English.

DevourerJay
DevourerJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:14 PM Reply

just leave people alone man...

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Sig By Xeno.
Formerly known as MissingNYC

BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:17 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 08:13 PM, Newgrundling wrote: Besides just making a racist assumption, how would you definitively find out you had an illegal in your midst?

Many of them told me that they are or somebody else told me that.

I know you're all like "leave them alone why do you care" but you don't live in California, because the economy is really bad to undocumented workers and whatnot.

InDuStRiEl
InDuStRiEl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:17 PM Reply

When I was in high school, have of my friends were illegal immigrants. It didn't bother me, because liking someone over their status in this country is silly. I've recently heard from one of them, and she's apparently doing well.

Bounce Bounce Jiggle Bounce :3

BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:19 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 08:17 PM, InDuStRiEl wrote: When I was in high school, have of my friends were illegal immigrants. It didn't bother me, because liking someone over their status in this country is silly. I've recently heard from one of them, and she's apparently doing well.

I don't want them to be deported, but I want them to make an effort to be a citizen or at least on a green card. But the ones that are here to cause crime, which there are a lot of where I live, should just be deported.

The people who think I'm just being mean are from a nice suburban neighborhood and have never lived in a neighborhood that has an influx of illegal immigrants. It really does bring down the quality of life in that place.

Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 08:17 PM, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
the economy is really bad to undocumented workers and whatnot.

This is true. I live in the Central Valley and quite a few of my friends were undocumented back in HS. One of them got their citizenship senior year. They ended up getting a FULL RIDE to CSU Fresno. Crazy indeed, they are obviously doing well.

To the others that think Eddy is being racist, he isn't. He is just wondering what we think. I have absolutely no problem with them. Obviously since a bunch of my friends were undoc'd

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
Emarius
Emarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 08:19 PM, EddyFromEEnE wrote: The people who think I'm just being mean are from a nice suburban neighborhood and have never lived in a neighborhood that has an influx of illegal immigrants. It really does bring down the quality of life in that place.

Now that's an unfair generalization if I ever saw one. A lot of them come here to try and make their lives better for themselves or their families back home. The illegals that I've had the pleasure to know have been some of the most inspiring people I've met. I was practically raised by a woman who was an illegal immigrant. She's like another mother to me.

There are certainly illegals in my city, and while some rotten apples always spoil the bunch, for the most part they are here to just try and live a better life. It is very uncouth of you to group them all together like that and say that them trying to live better makes your life worse.

SouthAsian
SouthAsian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:29 PM Reply

As long as they contribute and work for the betterment of their adopted communities and country.None of that gang member bull shit.Or else we send them back.

IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 08:26 PM, Emarius wrote: Now that's an unfair generalization if I ever saw one. A lot of them come here to try and make their lives better for themselves or their families back home. The illegals that I've had the pleasure to know have been some of the most inspiring people I've met. I was practically raised by a woman who was an illegal immigrant. She's like another mother to me.

You live in Canada. Aren't most of the illegal immigrants there from Asian countries? Illegal immigrants are different depending on the country they're from. Illegal Mexican immigrants in general come to America and give birth to a lot of children due to Catholicism who are what you call "anchor babies" and don't ever teach them English and those kids have to be placed in English-as-a-2nd-language classes.

I have a lot of Mexican friends, some of them possibly undocumented or born to undocumented parents, and even THEY don't like it just like many other people don't. It has NOTHING to do with race, I'm talking about the culture you idiots.

There are certainly illegals in my city, and while some rotten apples always spoil the bunch, for the most part they are here to just try and live a better life. It is very uncouth of you to group them all together like that and say that them trying to live better makes your life worse.

You don't live in California. Many of the illegal immigrants are nice people but they are making the economy of California bad and that's scary to me. Everybody knows why the economy is bad and that's due to illegals. Would you like it if there no jobs for you and they all went to illegal immigrants?

Most of the gang shootings and stabbings where I live are committed by illegal immigrants from Mexico. I used to live in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood and I thought it was an actually somewhat okay place to live, and good Mexican food, but the crime is just bad and it's mostly done by illegal immigrants.

JadeTheAssassin
JadeTheAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:37 PM Reply

a lady recently moved onto my block.

her husband works back in china, her son is in ontario studying.

they own about 5 million dollar homes.

she's planning on living off a canadian pension.

that's her only reason for coming here. she doesn't work, she expects her and her husband to get their citizenship when he retires so they live off of other people's hard work. :/

that's what bothers me, not the people who work their asses off and EARN their pension/their income, whether they're here illegally or not.

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}
A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature
Emarius
Emarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 08:45 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 08:32 PM, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
At 7/20/11 08:26 PM, Emarius wrote: Now that's an unfair generalization if I ever saw one. A lot of them come here to try and make their lives better for themselves or their families back home. The illegals that I've had the pleasure to know have been some of the most inspiring people I've met. I was practically raised by a woman who was an illegal immigrant. She's like another mother to me.
You live in Canada. Aren't most of the illegal immigrants there from Asian countries? Illegal immigrants are different depending on the country they're from. Illegal Mexican immigrants in general come to America and give birth to a lot of children due to Catholicism who are what you call "anchor babies" and don't ever teach them English and those kids have to be placed in English-as-a-2nd-language classes.

Wrong there, I've lived in New York up until I went to Canada for University. I'm in New York right now. There are plenty of illegal immigrants here, mostly Mexican & Hispanic. My point is that it's an unfair to lump all illegals into a category like that. Of the illegal Mexican immigrants I've met, they've had well raised kids who know the value of hard-work and know English perfectly. So obviously we've had different experiences, and none applies to all, which is what I'm trying to say. Hell, there are plenty of kids here raised by legal citizens, who've been raised in English speaking households, who may as well be taking ESL.

I have a lot of Mexican friends, some of them possibly undocumented or born to undocumented parents, and even THEY don't like it just like many other people don't. It has NOTHING to do with race, I'm talking about the culture you idiots.

I'm not accusing you of racism or anything of the sort, just you basically said "Illegal immigrants make places suck".

You don't live in California. Many of the illegal immigrants are nice people but they are making the economy of California bad and that's scary to me. Everybody knows why the economy is bad and that's due to illegals. Would you like it if there no jobs for you and they all went to illegal immigrants?

Yes, illegals are entirely to blame for the bad economy. They take all of the jobs because they are highly qualified for all positions. The economic issues run a lot deeper than just "there are no jobs". Are they responsible for all of those problems too?

Most of the gang shootings and stabbings where I live are committed by illegal immigrants from Mexico. I used to live in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood and I thought it was an actually somewhat okay place to live, and good Mexican food, but the crime is just bad and it's mostly done by illegal immigrants.

And most of the gang violence where I live is committed by legal citizens. Which is why I'm raising the point that you cannot apply something to everybody, it just makes you seem ignorant. How do you know most of it is by illegals anyway? Do they carry around tags or something?

IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 08:45 PM, Emarius wrote: Wrong there, I've lived in New York up until I went to Canada for University. I'm in New York right now. There are plenty of illegal immigrants here, mostly Mexican & Hispanic. My point is that it's an unfair to lump all illegals into a category like that. Of the illegal Mexican immigrants I've met, they've had well raised kids who know the value of hard-work and know English perfectly. So obviously we've had different experiences, and none applies to all, which is what I'm trying to say. Hell, there are plenty of kids here raised by legal citizens, who've been raised in English speaking households, who may as well be taking ESL.

In NY most of the illegal immigrants are from all kinds of countries, but I think Dominican Republic would be number one. There's a lot of those people there. If an ILLEGAL family comes to America and knows English why won't they bother becoming citizens? If you're in the US and don't know English it doesn't make sense to not apply for citizenship, so you can take the test.

But I don't know of any people who are middle-aged or older who are illegal immigrants who don't know "perfect English." That doesn't make sense.

I'm not accusing you of racism or anything of the sort, just you basically said "Illegal immigrants make places suck".

I guess people are racist and think any minority-majority neighborhood sucks. I don't believe in that, but all the white people moved out of the majority-Hispanic neighborhood in my city. Doesn't that sound kinda odd to you?

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 09:32 PM Reply

I wouldn't really be bothered. Most illegals don't really have a choice, it's either live illegally here, or even worse in Mexico.

You think they want to come here just to take some low paying job? No,they just don't have any another option.

BBS Signature
Emarius
Emarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 09:23 PM, EddyFromEEnE wrote: In NY most of the illegal immigrants are from all kinds of countries, but I think Dominican Republic would be number one. There's a lot of those people there. If an ILLEGAL family comes to America and knows English why won't they bother becoming citizens? If you're in the US and don't know English it doesn't make sense to not apply for citizenship, so you can take the test.

Shows a fairly fundamental misunderstanding of the system there. They're illegal immigrants, they can't just waltz in and take a citizenship test. A legal immigrant needs to live here and have a green card for 7 years before they can take a citizenship test. Since illegal immigrants generally don't have green cards (because that would generally make them a legal immigrant) it's not so easy for them to obtain citizenship.

But I don't know of any people who are middle-aged or older who are illegal immigrants who don't know "perfect English." That doesn't make sense.

I don't understand what you're saying here. It reads essentially as "All the middle-aged illegal immigrants I know of know perfect English". I assume you meant you don't know any older illegal immigrants who knew perfect English. My response to that would be that I do, but I know where you are coming from. However I think you misinterpreted my response. I meant the children knew English perfectly. My point after that was many natural born citizens here can hardly speak English and are more fond of this "Ebonics" crap.

I guess people are racist and think any minority-majority neighborhood sucks. I don't believe in that, but all the white people moved out of the majority-Hispanic neighborhood in my city. Doesn't that sound kinda odd to you?

People tend to flock to their own. Kind of how some areas end up as predominantly one race or culture, some people just like being surrounded by people who are similar in that regard. Honestly, it's very similar here. There are areas that are predominantly different ethnic groups, but I don't think people move out solely because there are illegal immigrants around them, it probably has more to do with the behavior which you are associating purely with the illegals. To which I again ask, how do you ascribe all of that to them?

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 09:52 PM Reply

Report them to the immigration its your civil obligation and duty as a citizen to report them to
immigrations and customs enforcement report them here

mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 09:58 PM Reply

You probably have a lot of illegals in your school because you live in California.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 09:58 PM, mothballs wrote: You probably have a lot of illegals in your school because you live in California.

Of course California has the most sanctuary cities because California is ran by a binch of bleeding heart
liberals who believe its a divorce right that they don't deserve since they arent citizens beside to h
To them helping those who are less fortunate and need to come here because there fleeing
their shit hole country is the "right thing to do" even though they take welfare and jobs from legal citizens

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 10:15 PM Reply

Fucking DROID sorry bout that im still trying to get used to posting.

Weeaboo
Weeaboo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Audiophile
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 10:26 PM Reply

You just see it as an citzen point of view.
Look buddy, I live in Central America (specificaññy, Honduras) and this economy is really fucked up, you cant find any jobs that pay at least a little bit of food for your family, thankfully, my mom is a profesional, so i dont fall in that category, but man, ive seen where the poor people live, isa shithole, literally.
So, the men (sometimes women) have to decide,
- go illegally to US to find a midly decent job to send money back, even if that means risking your life due to the Zetas, and the frontier.
or
- Keep living their live with their family starving to death, and feel like you cant do something about it.

Before saying something, see the both sides of the story.

peace brutha.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Heinrich
Heinrich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Movie Buff
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 10:53 PM Reply

I live in Canada and it's pretty difficult to illegally access the country unless you're living in the USA.

Here in Alberta, we have many Filipino immigrants working in fast food restaurants and gas stations due to a lack of workers compared to the amount of jobs we have inside the province and I'm pretty sure they are all legal. They are friendly and hard working people so I have no issues with them.

If they were illegal, I would just leave them alone and let the government deal with it. I still would not mind at all of my classmates were illegal immigrants.

BBS Signature
Weeaboo
Weeaboo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Audiophile
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 11:22 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 10:49 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: You report them to immigration and customs

Yeah asshole, cause you are not the one starving to death, just to make your family eat a little bit.

BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 7/20/11 10:53 PM, Heinrich wrote: Here in Alberta, we have many Filipino immigrants working in fast food restaurants and gas stations due to a lack of workers compared to the amount of jobs we have inside the province and I'm pretty sure they are all legal. They are friendly and hard working people so I have no issues with them.

Filipinos are in general friendly people, so yeah. But I know a guy who has family in Alberta, Canada and he visits there and he told me there's a lot of Indians. I know it may seem like a stereotype that Indians work in gas stations but it's kind of the truth where I live. Do they own any gas stations out there? Just wondering.

But yeah, I think it's alright if you're hard working and illegal, but I would encourage them to do whatever it takes to be a citizen.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 11:36 PM Reply

Report them to the authorities

Breaking the law is inexcusable under any circumstance unless you serve in congress

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer

At 7/20/11 11:22 PM, J-Cobyz wrote:
At 7/20/11 10:49 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: You report them to immigration and customs
Yeah asshole, cause you are not the one starving to death, just to make your family eat a little bit.

Not my problem, their criminals if they crossed our border undocumented, you want to come to our
country you do it like everyone else your not special. You come in illegally you get deported.

There is nothing wrong with that

IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate

At 7/20/11 10:26 PM, J-Cobyz wrote: Before saying something, see the both sides of the story.
peace brutha.

My mom is from China, and my other relatives are from China, and I've been to China for a month. Some of them live in poor conditions but I guess it's nothing like your country. A lot of people in China are living decently and there's a lot of jobs there so maybe I can't compare immigration from China to the US like your people to the US. I guess Latin America isn't getting better anytime soon, except for maybe South America.

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 11:39 PM Reply

I wouldn't give a shit.

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 11:43 PM Reply

well,

there are also loads of illegals out here in florida,but not the kind you would expect.

CUBANS.

not to be racist,but apparently by US law back in the cold war,once a cuban steps foot on the US,they are a CITIZEN. thats right. no test,no nothing. instant mod status,if you will.

what pisses me off even more is that (and i have a decent understanding of economics) these "citizens" can apparently(my mom's friend confirmed my beliefs,as she was cuban) can apply for a loan of ANY sort up to an outrageous amount(in my mom's friend case,1 MILLION) and not have to pay it back.

guess which state has the most cubans? FLORIDA.this is what pisses me off really badly,because we're losing hundreds of millions of dollars to these people that escaped tyranny but then decide to fuck us over too.

good damn think my example went bankrupt...she was a MILF though,i'll say that much. and her daughter? JESUS!...

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
LocoJoe
LocoJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 11:44 PM Reply

I'd report them if I were you. We shouldn't give them a free education if they don't pay any taxes or have legal citizenship. We're falling behind because we're wasting money on people who shouldn't even be here.

Sig by BabiesAteMyDingo

BBS Signature
BHVampire
BHVampire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Classmates That Are Illegals Jul. 20th, 2011 @ 11:44 PM Reply

For me that not counts... Only the kind of People are ya... If I Have an Ilegal Friend... No problem, I Can help you.... But a Legal enemy.... Well... i just Kill him.... An Ilegal Enemy... I Just Kill Him.... A Legal Friend... Hey, no problem, I Can help ya..... So, are the same shit....

BTW... FUCK YOU!!!