New Topic Respond to this Topic
djack
djack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 04:30 PM, Auz wrote: I don't mind there being a facebook 'like' button for submissions, but I agree with plenty of others that it could look nicer and could perhaps be placed in a better position. Somewhere below the window instead of above for example.

I wouldn't mind the location if it looked like it belonged on Newgrounds but as is it stands out way too much and is a bit of an eye-sore. All it would take is some minor color changes and it would blend in perfectly, most of the complainers probably wouldn't have even noticed it in the first place if it wasn't so brightly colored.

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 06:16 PM, Arch-Angel wrote:
At 7/13/11 05:33 PM, Luis wrote:
Thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard. Why would you want less people to enjoy your work.
Most of the people that hate this 'like' button arent actual developers/animators cause if they were theyd see the value of it. By your logic, there should be a button when you dont want your submission to be 'front-pageable'. What are you scared of.
Is it really that unheard of? it might be weird to you. but I personally dont need or want anything to do with some big faceless corporate system. If I wanted my stuff on Facebook, I'd post it there myself. that's my choice. (or at least it used to be).

Hate to break it to you dude, but NG wants to make money and become a big corporation... and besidess, facebook isn't faceless... they have Jesse Eisenberg! And really, I don't think your work is in any real danger of getting viral popularity....

At 7/13/11 05:39 PM, Saggatto wrote:
You have to be the most autistic and dumb person I know.
I'm sorry, do I know you?

all I'm saying is that we should have a choice. If I were any good at flash, I wouldnt want my hard work to be carelessly slapped up on some twelve year old's Facebook page for their social benefit.

if you don't want 12 year olds using your work to try and feel cool... you are on the wrong fucking website here! If it's all so bothersome, you should totally start a new website that's not corporate in any way... figure out how to pay the bills without selling out at all... and don't ever try and grow it so that way no big sites ever take an interest in sharing your work. Problem solved!

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Arch-Angel
Arch-Angel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 06:49 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 06:33 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: you should totally start a new website that's not corporate in any way... figure out how to pay the bills without selling out at all... and don't ever try and grow it so that way no big sites ever take an interest in sharing your work. Problem solved!

Okay I see your point...

Yep. that's me on liljim and PsychoGoldfish's sigs.
I must be pretty awesome huh?
I, for one, welcome our new Facebook overlords.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 06:16 PM, Arch-Angel wrote: Is it really that unheard of? it might be weird to you. but I personally dont need or want anything to do with some big faceless corporate system. If I wanted my stuff on Facebook, I'd post it there myself. that's my choice. (or at least it used to be).

HI I'M ARCH-ANGEL AND I UPLOADED SOME ANIMATIONS THAT ARE PUBLICLY AVAILABLE ON A WEBSITE AND I NEVER ANTICIPATED THEM EVER BEING SEEN BY ANYONE WHO USES FACEBOOK OR LINKED TO FROM ANY FACEBOOK PAGE DESPITE IT BEING EASY ENOUGH FOR THEIR USERS TO DO THAT BUT NOW MADE EASIER BY THE FACT THAT THERE'S A LINK FOR THEM TO DO IT FROM THIS IS WRONG I DON'T WANT MY WORK TO BE SEEN DESPITE ME POSTING IT ON A WEBSITE THAT IS DESIGNED TO PROMOTE MY WORK MY LOGIC IS INFALLABLE DISAGREE WITH ME IF YOU WISH BUT YOU ARE WRONG I BLAME IT ALL ON LUIS.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:10 PM Reply

I think you all need to lay off of Arch-Angel

He's just trying to help you guys make the site the best it can be and you're just patronizing him and possibly hurting his feelings and I won't stand for it.

CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 07:08 PM, liljim wrote: Corporate knob sucking brah

Yo man, you gotta be hatin' against the corporations, the corporations are evil brah stand up against the man.

Facebook 'like' buttons

BBS Signature
coleknows
coleknows
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:15 PM Reply

Jesus! This whole thread is a god damn flame war! Can we just end it with peace? *points at sig*

Honestly, i think this thread is kind of pointless.

My name is actually CK. Coleknows is too old.

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:16 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 07:10 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I think you all need to lay off of Arch-Angel

He's just trying to help you guys make the site the best it can be and you're just patronizing him and possibly hurting his feelings and I won't stand for it.

It's cool, he still has his theme tune.

Besides, has is not occurred to you that we're just fucking around (whilst trying to demonstrate some very rudimentary points) with him?

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 06:16 PM, Arch-Angel wrote: all I'm saying is that we should have a choice. If I were any good at flash, I wouldnt want my hard work to be carelessly slapped up on some twelve year old's Facebook page for their social benefit.

I would. They would very much appreciate my mario sprite flashes!!!

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 07:10 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I think you all need to lay off of Arch-Angel

I agree, Luis needs to quit being such an asshole.

BBS Signature
coleknows
coleknows
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:18 PM Reply

It's cool, he still has his theme tune.

Besides, has is not occurred to you that we're just fucking around (whilst trying to demonstrate some very rudimentary points) with him?

Excuse me for saying this, but i just laughed really hard at your sig since that is what we are debating about XD

My name is actually CK. Coleknows is too old.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 07:16 PM, liljim wrote:
At 7/13/11 07:10 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

No, the concept had at no point occurred to me

All I saw was a poor young man being attack on all sides like Jodie Foster in The Accused and I, as a scion of justice for the BBS, had to step in.

I am sure you understand.

BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:22 PM Reply

I don't really mind. Since if i like things some of my friends go on the site more. Atleast its not the other way around

The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:24 PM Reply

I LIKE THIS, FUCK THE HATERS

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 07:19 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: All I saw was a poor young man being attack on all sides like Jodie Foster in The Accused and I, as a scion of justice for the BBS, had to step in.

I am sure you understand.

Sorry, you lost me at Jodie Foster.

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:30 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 05:33 PM, Luis wrote: Most of the people that hate this 'like' button arent actual developers/animators cause if they were theyd see the value of it.

That's true. I'm far from front-page material, but I found one of my submissions with about 45 likes after realizing that like button was even there. 45 people shared that link on their Facebook page, and their friends all have a chance of seeing it, and perhaps liking it as well, and sharing it with their friends. Though, I assume those likes will stay stagnant around the 40-60 area for a while, though. Still, that means it is beneficial. Sadly, I still hate Facebook and Google as corporate giants, but you have to compromise in the end. And you have to use them. But, hey, let's hope they don't get too big or take over completely. Eh?

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
Alexander
Alexander
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Writer
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:31 PM Reply

Hooray for trying to argue from one perspective!

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:36 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 07:30 PM, Narcissy wrote:
At 7/13/11 05:33 PM, Luis wrote: Most of the people that hate this 'like' button arent actual developers/animators cause if they were theyd see the value of it.
Sadly, I still hate Facebook and Google as corporate giants, but you have to compromise in the end. And you have to use them. But, hey, let's hope they don't get too big or take over completely. Eh?

meh... I'm not the biggest fan of facebook either... but I also hate banks... but when people write me checks from those banks, I'll sure as shit cash those fuckers!

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:38 PM Reply

''like'' buttons are the worst thing to happen the internet since ever

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Arch-Angel
Arch-Angel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:46 PM Reply

okay haha funny... but cmon guys gimie a break. seriously I'm sorry okay?

Yep. that's me on liljim and PsychoGoldfish's sigs.
I must be pretty awesome huh?
I, for one, welcome our new Facebook overlords.

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 7/13/11 07:36 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: meh... I'm not the biggest fan of facebook either... but I also hate banks... but when people write me checks from those banks, I'll sure as shit cash those fuckers!

That's true. Like I said, got to compromise in the end, I know that. Just so long as something too drastic doesn't come along to Newgrounds, I'm fine. A "Like" button on submissions make sense and I see the benefit of it. The Portal is the biggest draw to Newgrounds, why not make it bigger and have more attention given to it? Especially before the redesign, when people some new people will just stumble across Newgrounds and later open it up to a completely new look.

That all makes sense to me. But yeah, as long as there is no huge sellout, like others have done. But I don't think that fear will be realized. Tom's been offered lots of money before, and denied it. Why start now?

I ramble too much.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
Prid-Outing
Prid-Outing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 07:58 PM Reply

Seriously, what do you have against Arch-Angel! Geez, what a bunch of brats - I find his idea, very helpful!

Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 08:00 PM Reply

Holy crapcakes, I thought this was a joke until I checked the portal.

Nice feature, get artists more exposure.

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 13th, 2011 @ 08:14 PM Reply

its a greater way to get newgrounds content spread around so people visit the site chill out.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 14th, 2011 @ 09:53 AM Reply

Actually, there is one thing I don't like about the like feature on Newgrounds. On Chrome it's made it difficult to hover over the buttons to put the lights out, expand submission, etc. Not good for me when I really need most submissions expanded to make better icons.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 14th, 2011 @ 09:58 AM Reply

At 7/14/11 09:53 AM, Bahamut wrote: Actually, there is one thing I don't like about the like feature on Newgrounds. On Chrome it's made it difficult to hover over the buttons to put the lights out, expand submission, etc. Not good for me when I really need most submissions expanded to make better icons.

Actually, it goes haywire depending on the flash dimensions. A submission like this wasn't liking those buttons whereas others were OK:

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 14th, 2011 @ 10:04 AM Reply

If you like someone's Flash, then help them out by liking it so more people can see it. We have simply given everyone a tool to help give more exposure to the artists. That's why they put their Flash here, they want people to see it, so be kind and "like" their content if you deem it worthy.

Also the "like" button will look much better in the redesign.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
mattuiop
mattuiop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 14th, 2011 @ 10:14 AM Reply

At 7/12/11 05:04 PM, FirstBaby wrote: Save the picture, it doesn't work for my IE...

lol, get chrome. ie is for Indian programmers

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 14th, 2011 @ 10:17 AM Reply

I heard that we'll have a dislike button on the redesign. But only for userpage posts in general forum.

None

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Facebook 'like' buttons Jul. 16th, 2011 @ 01:13 PM Reply

I'm not able to use the like feature for this submission:

Whenever I click the like button, it unchecks itself, and is not posted on my Facebook wall. Additionally, if I hover over the buttons to the right, the flash area edges around. Perhaps that's what Bahamut was referring to in his above posts, something about the video's dimensions? I tried liking the submission he posted, and it worked just fine.

I'm using the latest edition of Chrome on a Macbook, if that helps.

BBS Signature