00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Google+ Circle

12,377 Views | 165 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 15:27:46

With the recent beta launch of Google+, a new social network being made by Google, I figured it was a matter of time before a thread would be made in the Newgrounds C&C forums, so here it is.

Google+ is apparently going to be the greatest social network ever, and so far in the beta it looks pretty snazzy. Confusing, yes. But different, and unique.

In Google+ there are "circles", sort of like groups in a way.

There are your friend circles, family circles, and circles you can make for whatever purpose. I have a Newgrounds Circle made, but nobody is in it yet because I have no Newgrounds friends on there as of right now.

So for those of you who ARE in the beta, you can feel free to add me to your circle(s), and keep in touch with it. It seems like I'll be using this a lot more than Facebook once it gets very popular after the beta. I have no doubts that it will be equal to Facebook, or better than.

I think that This should link to my profile, I'm still very new to Google+ so I'm not 100% sure if that's an accurate profile link. Give it a shot, feel free to add me and use the thread to share Google+ related news, and make some new friends for Google+.

You know.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 15:30:28

I saw this right after making the original post and figure I should share it in here, seems like a suitable place.

http://mashable.com/2011/07/12/google-10 -million/

"Google's social network, Google+, might be one of the fastest-growing networks ever, having already reached 10 million users according to one estimate."

Within the past 32-34 hours, approximately 2.2 million people have joined Google+. Seems pretty crazy for it just being in Beta.

Impressive, or bad?

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 18:44:48

I can't believe after over 10 million users I'm still not in.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 18:56:21

Do any of you happen to have any invites? I feel pretty bummed that after all these years of google use they haven't even invited me.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 19:54:41

I can invite both of you, will gladly do so.

Just PM me your email addresses!

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 20:23:47

At 7/12/11 07:54 PM, EpicFail wrote: I can invite both of you, will gladly do so.

Thanks, now people can add me heeeeeere.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 20:25:51

I'm not too certain of Google+. I haven't really gotten around to really trying it out, as I only have 3-4 people that use it, but they all seem really enthusiastic about it, and two of them quite Facebook completely in favor of Google+. I'll be using it in the coming couple of days to see if I like it or not.

Also, I have invites if people need them (:

Meet the Mayor.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 20:27:55

At 7/12/11 08:23 PM, Makeshift wrote: Thanks, now people can add me heeeeeere.

I added you to my circle 'newgrounds'

It's cool, seems quite a few Newgrounders are on there already.

Was a bit confusing for me when I first got it last night though, made zero sense (I was drunk however). It's really fun now, runs a lot smoother than Facebook ever has!

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 21:42:33

Could I have an invite? Pretty please?

Gamertag: Evilchicken43

"Screw those people, I have pancakes."

Sig by simon

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 21:50:14

At 7/12/11 09:42 PM, wafflecake12 wrote: Could I have an invite? Pretty please?

Just send me a PM with your email address.

Also, I don't want this entire club people asking for invites :P

I know it's inevitable right now though!

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 22:32:28

Thanks for the invite, bro.

How do you use the Google+ chat?

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 22:37:03

At 7/12/11 10:32 PM, Jolly wrote: How do you use the Google+ chat?

I haven't really explored that fully. I do know that there is a feature on Google+ called 'Huddle'.

I THINK that is one form of chat, but a group chat.

The single 1-on-1 chat is on the left side right?

I clicked it and it told me to type a name, I attempted typing in "Jolly NG" and nothing happened, it said that this was invalid.

So after that I went to the little arrow beside the chat and pressed "Circles", and enabled all the circles that I want to be able to chat with. It still doesn't show anybody on a list or anything.

Pasting in your profile link did not do anything either.

My guess right now is that the chat isn't working, or we are doing something wrong. I am hoping it's the latter.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 23:11:16

At 7/12/11 10:37 PM, EpicFail wrote: My guess right now is that the chat isn't working, or we are doing something wrong. I am hoping it's the latter.

It's the latter. The text-only chat on the left hand side is basically just GTalk - if any of you are familiar with Gmail, you'll know what that's all about. A simple web or client based IM service, so it's platform independent, and you can invite people to chats etc. It basically shits all over Facebook chat, but no-one really seems to use it much.

Huddles on the other hand are a much richer experience. You start a huddle, and you automatically share a notification on your stream - you can invite people from your circles to join a huddle, and what basically happens is a webcam stream, where you can talk, etc, and also share Youtube videos - if one of you is watching a video within the huddle, the other people in the huddle watch it too. I'm sure Google will expand on this functionality at some point in the future, possibly including games etc inside the window.

Anyway, I think Huddles are really the feature that set it apart from other social networks, though we'll have to wait and see what happens I guess.

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC

Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-12 23:18:14

At 7/12/11 11:11 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote: Anyway, I think Huddles are really the feature that set it apart from other social networks, though we'll have to wait and see what happens I guess.

I figured I was just messing up, I'm still very new to Google+ and trying to figure everything out... Slowly.

I'm not TOO familiar with gmail either, I simply use it for business purposes with other people, and use hotmail for other E-Mail purposes.

So thanks for shedding some light on this situation, Huddles sound very interesting, but I wonder if there is also text chat in huddles, and not just video chat. I'd assume there is text chat, would make everything a whole lot easier. I'm just going to assume there is.

Anybody wanna "Huddle" at some point? Lol.
Sounds so cute.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 01:02:12

At 7/12/11 11:18 PM, EpicFail wrote: Anybody wanna "Huddle" at some point?

You'll need to buy me dinner first.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 01:11:12

At 7/13/11 01:02 AM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 7/12/11 11:18 PM, EpicFail wrote: Anybody wanna "Huddle" at some point?
You'll need to buy me dinner first.

OK - Well add me and we will discuss our date further.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 02:11:53

i want a damn google+

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 02:19:51

At 7/13/11 02:11 AM, Struggle wrote: i want a damn google+

Shoot me or another one of us your email address PM style.

I'll definitely be able to get you an invitation by tomorrow. Going to bed for now.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 02:36:04

I'll invite anybody that PMs me with there email address.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 03:42:58

I'd very much like to get into this new trend!

Not sure of the requirements, but if someone wanted to invite me, that would be very cool!

The kind of old they just don't make anymore!

[Had your submission unpublished? Click here!]

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 03:44:39

You don't need to come in here and ask for an invite, just PM someone who already has an account.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 04:09:08

At 7/13/11 03:44 AM, Makeshift wrote: You don't need to come in here and ask for an invite, just PM someone who already has an account.

Yes that would definitely help a lot. Like I stated it's pretty much inevitable for the time being, everyone is new to it or hasn't experienced it yet. I don't mind, but the thread would look much nicer without all of the posts about it from now on kind of thing you know?

I've had a few people message me without posting in here, so that's good.

Anybody who requested already and hasn't had an invite yet just PM me.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 06:17:30

This looks interesting, I'll definitely join this when it comes out of beta. The inability for Facebook to allow certain people to see certain things is what keeps me from adding my whole family.

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 10:28:36

I've been waiting for Google to finally let everyone in already. I check like everyday to see if I can finally register myself. I want to get away from the terrible facebook chat which seems to keep getting worse..

I sent EpicFail a pm, I'm just hoping for the invite. I'll make my own NG Circle when I can and try to add you guys.

Blammin' and Shit Postin'

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 10:57:47

id be happy to invite people as well.

: sorasword A.K.A soraw434

Sig by Donut

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 11:21:21

PM'd a couple of people for an invite. Really want to have a look at this. Seems like it was inevitable that Google would launch a social networking site sooner rather than later. Looking forward to seeing whether it can compete with the top two or three.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 12:32:36

At 7/13/11 04:55 AM, Cootie wrote: I wonder if I will be able to link the Google+ to my main Google account when the beta is over.

I think it will, I've heard anyway.
You added me!

At 7/13/11 06:17 AM, Imacow wrote: This looks interesting, I'll definitely join this when it comes out of beta. The inability for Facebook to allow certain people to see certain things is what keeps me from adding my whole family.

That's why I think Google+ will conquer in the Social Networking war. Already it has better privacy than Facebook. Facebook you an hide it from the public sure, but only "Friends" and "Friends of Friends" can see it when it's hidden. Depending on what you choose as the setting.

That itself is ridiculous, Google definitely has my favor right now.

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 13:37:46

Also, as of today (I believe) you can now "+1" things on certain websites that have the feature.

Here's a screencap

The Google+ Circle

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 14:16:51

Cheers for the invite EpicFail, I'm online. Still trying to figure it all out. Photo albums I create seem to keep disappearing.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/104540125257 811753913

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to The Google+ Circle 2011-07-13 14:25:19

At 7/13/11 02:17 PM, Crink wrote: I am really liking the circles and how you can dictate what each circle sees of your profile. That level of privacy alone is enough to make Google+ superior to Facebook because Facebook privacy is just well, rather binary.

Yup, it's just a great idea. I have a feeling that many teenagers will not want to switch over to Google+ once it becomes public, but once it takes out Facebook, as Facebook did with Myspace, they will not hesitate. All it takes is a few people. I'm sure they don't even care about the privacy shit, most of them.

But it's definitely a huge factor in the social networking trend and business, Google+ is just brilliant.