New Topic Respond to this Topic
JadeTheAssassin
JadeTheAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:13:00 Reply

At 7/11/11 12:06 AM, MintPaw wrote: Homeless people are dumbasses, there's so many government funds you can live off of, I mean, there's food stamps for one.

the food stamp and welfare systems in the US are laughable simply because those that need it the most don't qualify for it, and those who abuse it are getting to be bigger in numbers? or how about in stereocrisis' situation, where food stamps can't be transferable to get diapers or baby wipes for his kids, nor can it get toilet paper or toothpaste.

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}
A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature
Magic-Mushroom
Magic-Mushroom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:30:45 Reply

I'd buy him some canned goods instead.

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature
dj9547
dj9547
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:42:27 Reply

At 7/10/11 11:12 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: I don't give money to those putting strain on the system purposely.

Yes, because they woke up one morning, and decided to be homeless.

Where I'm currently living, you don't see homeless people at all. I try to help when I can, with donating to charities and such.

Even though most of the charity money goes straight to the people who started it, and not to a good cause.

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:45:53 Reply

I don't see why you guys don't just give him a few dollars, or a single dollar.

If somebody is determined enough to get something, they are going to get it no matter what. Whether they steal it or beg for change to buy it. Somebody is going to be kind enough to give them quite a large sum of cash eventually.

I was flying a sign once and was really down on my luck as far as how much money I was getting. A black woman drove up to me and handed me a twenty dollar bill telling me to spend it good and get inside somewhere because it was storming.

That really taught me something, I wasn't homeless or anything at that point but needed money for a concert and beers. There are very kind and generous people in this world and that lady honestly made me grow a smile on my face. A bit of generosity can go a VERY long way you guys.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:48:33 Reply

I never give homeless people money. A lot of them seem to downplay their situations, and there is usually quite a bit of help from shelters and centres.

I'd rather give my spare change to a charity tin someone is waving which I do.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Lojinkz
Lojinkz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:49:13 Reply

At 7/11/11 12:30 AM, Magic-Mushroom wrote: I'd buy him some canned goods instead.

But no can opener? How delectably evil!

I would probably give them money in exchange for directions to the thieve's guild.

What's up with that

BBS Signature
Comrade
Comrade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:49:22 Reply

If he was wearing that costume and that sign I'd give him tree fitty!

GenocidalTendencies
GenocidalTendencies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:53:24 Reply

Give him money for some rock.

Facebook
"Man creates his own reality."

BBS Signature
xSarCastiCx
xSarCastiCx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:53:52 Reply

I dunno, I used to ride the bus through the city, and have seen enough homeless people to know that they are all assholes, so if they bother me about giving them money or cigarettes they should be lucky I don't give them the finger.
If its a situation where I can't avoid them and they ask for a cigarette, I will give them one just to avoid hearing them yell like insane 60-year-old babies.

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 00:55:15 Reply

At 7/11/11 12:13 AM, JadeTheAssassin wrote:
At 7/11/11 12:06 AM, MintPaw wrote: Homeless people are dumbasses, there's so many government funds you can live off of, I mean, there's food stamps for one.
the food stamp and welfare systems in the US are laughable simply because those that need it the most don't qualify for it, and those who abuse it are getting to be bigger in numbers? or how about in stereocrisis' situation, where food stamps can't be transferable to get diapers or baby wipes for his kids, nor can it get toilet paper or toothpaste.

Exactly. People think that it's so easy. The government doesn't just come in on a big white horse like a knight defending you from starvation. You have to stand in lines for hours, and be on the phone for hours just to get what they offer. Food stamps for my family and I don't even last the entire month. Where I live, the state doesn't give cash assistance, (spending money for things like soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, BILLS) unless both my wife and I both already had part-time jobs, or unless one of us had one full time job. I was DENIED unemployment checks. I'm not disabled in any way so I can't get any money for that, and I wouldn't want to exploit the system like that, so I never tried. But you know what? My wife WAS in a car accident and can't even get TEMPORARY disability for injuries that she will most likely have for the duration of her natural life. The system is soooo soooo fucked. She was driving in her company truck at her job at auto zone, and some idiot smashed into her from behind while she was STOPPED trying to make a right turn. She got FIRED as a result. She didn't even get worker compensation. She's had a law suit going on for over 4 years, and in that time, she hasn't seen one dollar for any of it. The only help we get is food stamps, and WIC, which supplies our children with formula, and we can get milk, and cereal, and the most basic forms of food.

We don't get help with bills other then food in other words. We only have this computer because we live with my mother, who works, and she pays for everything. Without her help, we would be in a homeless shelter.

And I know everyone has a story, but to be called out for being full of shit really hurts. Especially since this is all true. Not only that, but what is a further kick in the balls is "advice" people give. It's like, you know, "advice" doesn't pay the bills. Even good natured advice can really get under my skin. Because people have these outlandish assumptions about how the system works.

alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:02:23 Reply

when I see people with "Money for Beer" or something along those lines I give them money. sure the money is not going towards a better life, but i can't help but just appreciate the honesty.

on the past page, Jade mentioned those that con people out of money. past experience has learned me to never give money to people ever again. it's terrible indeed, but i've been scammed one time too many.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

LucasJC
LucasJC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:07:20 Reply

He isn't helping society in any way, and even though I do feel very sorry for him, I'd rather just let him die.

"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

JadeTheAssassin
JadeTheAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:09:30 Reply

At 7/11/11 12:55 AM, Stereocrisis wrote:
Exactly. People think that it's so easy.

Also forgot to mention that you get questioned for every little tidbit of information, whether it's in regards to what you have, why you're not working, why you bought certain product, and a lot of things that can be demeaning, embarassing, and humiliating. food stamps = not a piece of cake.

And I know everyone has a story, but to be called out for being full of shit really hurts. Especially since this is all true. Not only that, but what is a further kick in the balls is "advice" people give. It's like, you know, "advice" doesn't pay the bills. Even good natured advice can really get under my skin. Because people have these outlandish assumptions about how the system works.

i really hope you find a good solution, soon. i'm rooting for you and your wife. :)

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}
A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:11:33 Reply

If he's doing something cool, but if he's just sitting there, no.
You need to work to do drugs.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:26:01 Reply

At 7/11/11 01:09 AM, JadeTheAssassin wrote:
At 7/11/11 12:55 AM, Stereocrisis wrote:
Exactly. People think that it's so easy.
Also forgot to mention that you get questioned for every little tidbit of information, whether it's in regards to what you have, why you're not working, why you bought certain product, and a lot of things that can be demeaning, embarassing, and humiliating. food stamps = not a piece of cake.

Also, I forgot to mention that we actually have to get to these appointments in order to KEEP our benefits. It's not like they supply us with gas money, or give a shit if our car were to break down. They don't pay for my oil change, or car insurance, or car tax, or general repairs... We have to go on foot when my car dies. It's all the way across the city, which is fine, we'll pack up the kids and walk... but what about jobs? What about clothes when our are to ripped up to even look presentable at a job interview. I mentioned earlier that capco steel job I might be getting. The state isn't going to pay for my gas to get back and forth to that job, until I get my first paycheck. It's like a 30 minute drive. On foot it would take all damn day to get there.

i really hope you find a good solution, soon. i'm rooting for you and your wife. :)

Thank you Jade. I know people out there understand, like you. I am just so outright offended when people have it so good, they don't know what HARD is, and they look at you like you're a piece of shit on the ground.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:27:24 Reply

At 7/11/11 12:45 AM, EpicFail wrote:
That really taught me something, I wasn't homeless or anything at that point but needed money for a concert and beers. There are very kind and generous people in this world and that lady honestly made me grow a smile on my face. A bit of generosity can go a VERY long way you guys.

Wait, did that woman think you actually needed the money? If so that was kind of a dick move.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:32:45 Reply

I wouldn't give him the money because my city actually has lots of soup houses and homeless shelters and lots of clothes donation places (Vinnies) and stuff like that.

Something would be fishy if he was doing this, he would probably be using the money to buy drugs or liquor which he can't get from the aforementioned places.

That or he could be one of those fake homeless people I'm always hearing about, the ones that pretend to be homeless for money, I absolutely despise them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:45:02 Reply

At 7/11/11 01:32 AM, FurryDemon wrote: I wouldn't give him the money because my city actually has lots of soup houses and homeless shelters and lots of clothes donation places (Vinnies) and stuff like that.

What if the question was instead, would you volunteer at a soup kitchen or hospital? You wouldn't have to give any money, but you could help people for free. Would you do that?

Something would be fishy if he was doing this, he would probably be using the money to buy drugs or liquor which he can't get from the aforementioned places.

Going to a McDonald's for dollar menu food instead of seedy soup kitchen in a bad neighborhood is a better way to not get stabbed.

That or he could be one of those fake homeless people I'm always hearing about, the ones that pretend to be homeless for money, I absolutely despise them.

I hate con artists. Once someone gets tricked, they think everyone is a scammer, ad it maks it hard for honest people in bad trouble.

SimpleStuff
SimpleStuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 01:50:50 Reply

I was homeless for about two weeks. It was fun. People just gave me money, but I would never give money to a homeless person. They don't deserve it.

sandwich-eater: you know shits about to go down when you're taking a shit, and gravity is present.
Twitter - Tumblr - Pickle

BBS Signature
i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 02:08:35 Reply

i would just ignore him and tell him to leave me alone if he insists on me giving him money.

some people pretend to be homeless while they are have families and are fully capable of supporting themselves. they just want extra cash. whenever you see a beggar, 90% of the time he isn't really in need of money.

^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 02:10:02 Reply

At 7/10/11 11:02 PM, Cootie wrote: He is outside of a gas station, store, or mall. What do you do?

I don't give him money because I know for a fact half of them buy booze with it or some other nonsense. I will just go inside and buy him something to eat if the place I am at has anything. That way I know he is actually getting a meal and I don't have to risk him spending the money on stuff he should be using.

fuck you. i'd give him money without him having to ask. it doesnt matter if he's gonna spend it on alchohol, LET THE MAN GET HIS BOOZE

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
scroom38
scroom38
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 02:13:30 Reply

I offer him food, If he asks for money, tell him food or nothing, if he insists on money, tell him to F*** off.

*Sig has yet to be created, please stand by*

coleknows
coleknows
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 02:18:36 Reply

I usually pass because most homeless people don't convince me enough. They would have some items that i couldn't imagine a hobo would have. Infact, i could never figure out, how did they end up homeless? What was there house bombed or something?

I instead (but unfortunately dont) would buy the guy some food. When you hand out straight forward cash, he might waste on just drugs or alcohal which is not going to help you (not saying that alcohal and drugs are bad though).

My name is actually CK. Coleknows is too old.

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 02:25:15 Reply

At 7/11/11 01:27 AM, Cootie wrote: Wait, did that woman think you actually needed the money? If so that was kind of a dick move.

Well, the sign I had said something like, "Need money, anything helps" - And technically I did need the money to go through with the plans I made for the night. So it wasn't like I put "Broke, starving, travelling, poor, down on my luck." shit like that you know?

But yeah, I don't agree with doing it anymore unless I was really homeless and shit. Things have definitely changed.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to A homeless man ask you for money 2011-07-11 23:25:16 Reply

At 7/11/11 11:09 PM, agustana wrote: I do not give him money because I am a tight ass.

Mmmm yeah agustana's sweet tight ass!

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature