Be a Supporter!

Philosopy question for smart asses

  • 1,676 Views
  • 67 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
LeonOfBlain
LeonOfBlain
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:06 AM Reply

I love physics and quantum mechanics I'll be the first to admit I dont even have my first step to a generally acceptable "you know about physics". but what i love about it is that human language formulas attempt to explain with great accuracy the answer to the "neverending why". so my current thought is this: is it possible that the phenomena of thought is itself a dimension and also is it not a similar if not the same dimension as the environment of electrical impulses we designed as computers?

LeonOfBlain
LeonOfBlain
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:08 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:07 AM, psychicpebble wrote: penis.

thats what she said

Blysk
Blysk
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:10 AM Reply

At first i thought you were serious, but upon further analyzation of your thesis, i concluded it makes no sense

its a goddamn pile of horseshit, that's what it is
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:10 AM Reply

You're asking if what we perceive as reality isn't actually reality, because of the limitations of our senses? I'd say that it's quite possible, in all seriousness.

EmperorOfSwag
EmperorOfSwag
  • Member since: May. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:13 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:10 AM, bgraybr wrote: You're asking if what we perceive as reality isn't actually reality, because of the limitations of our senses? I'd say that it's quite possible, in all seriousness.

actually i believe he's wondering whether our reality we perceive and the actual "perceiving" are actually in two distinct dimensions?

please clarify a bit more op

LeonOfBlain
LeonOfBlain
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:13 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:10 AM, Blysk wrote: At first i thought you were serious, but upon further analyzation of your thesis, i concluded it makes no sense

its a goddamn pile of horseshit, that's what it is

please specify what part is horseshit. a closed mind can learn no more.

LeonOfBlain
LeonOfBlain
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:15 AM Reply

please clarify a bit more op

ok so lets start with electricity. how would you describe a computer?

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:15 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:13 AM, EmperorOfSwag wrote:
At 7/9/11 04:10 AM, bgraybr wrote: You're asking if what we perceive as reality isn't actually reality, because of the limitations of our senses? I'd say that it's quite possible, in all seriousness.
actually i believe he's wondering whether our reality we perceive and the actual "perceiving" are actually in two distinct dimensions?

please clarify a bit more op

Same thing if I'm understanding correctly, "two distinct dimensions" isn't that different from "two different realities".

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:17 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:06 AM, LeonOfBlain wrote: I love physics and quantum mechanics I'll be the first to admit I dont even have my first step to a generally acceptable "you know about physics". but what i love about it is that human language formulas attempt to explain with great accuracy the answer to the "neverending why". so my current thought is this: is it possible that the phenomena of thought is itself a dimension and also is it not a similar if not the same dimension as the environment of electrical impulses we designed as computers?

FINALY someone intelegent.

Yes, it is posible that thought itself could be its own dimension. Across the known dimensional plain, well, we only know about our own. It could, however, be a seperate buble universe, just outside of our own. in this case, you would have to not only travel at, lets say ten times the speed of light (in star trek terms this would be warp 14) for, considering the distance to hubbles blackout (the hubble telescope once reached such a velocity of magnification that it could litteraly see the end of the universe) about 30 million years, but you would also have to phase yourself out of exsistance once you reach the end of this known universe. then travel for another 50 million years.

So, summurizing everything said, yes, it is verry much so possible, but the chances of us ever reaching it is veeeeeeerrrryyy slim.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:18 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:15 AM, LeonOfBlain wrote:
please clarify a bit more op
ok so lets start with electricity. how would you describe a computer?

It's better if you simplify what your asking or provide a complete example instead of making us fill in the blanks. I think if you did that you would get more responses, I would have given my two scents if I could get a good grasp at what your getting at.


BBS Signature
EmperorOfSwag
EmperorOfSwag
  • Member since: May. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:18 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:15 AM, bgraybr wrote: Same thing if I'm understanding correctly, "two distinct dimensions" isn't that different from "two different realities".

reality is the sum of all dimensions

i assume anyways, someone correct me if i'm wrong

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:18 AM Reply

It appears that the notion of concision is a bit alien to you. Oh well.

Thoughts are just electrical impulses; I don't see how they could be from another dimension, as that seems inconceivable in my honest opinion. The electrical impulses generated by computers are not too different from those generated by the human brain. However, I imagine that the human brain is more efficient and definitely generates more impulses at a faster rate than computers currently do.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:20 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:18 AM, Jedi-Master wrote: Thoughts are just electrical impulses; I don't see how they could be from another dimension, as that seems inconceivable in my honest opinion. The electrical impulses generated by computers are not too different from those generated by the human brain. However, I imagine that the human brain is more efficient and definitely generates more impulses at a faster rate than computers currently do.

Related to this post, I think it's pretty safe to say that humans are merely an organic, sophisticated computer.


BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:21 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:15 AM, LeonOfBlain wrote:
please clarify a bit more op
ok so lets start with electricity. how would you describe a computer?

a computer is nothing more than a highway of circuits and processors that compute information as givven to it.

I know, I know, using sci-fi movies for solid fact is just retarded, but im not using it as fact:

The movie tron basicly shows you what the inside of a computer ship would be like if you were an 8-bit bb code.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
EmperorOfSwag
EmperorOfSwag
  • Member since: May. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:21 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:20 AM, zooos wrote: Related to this post, I think it's pretty safe to say that humans are merely an organic, sophisticated computer.

i'm just going to agree with this

as it's correct

Markface
Markface
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:22 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:06 AM, LeonOfBlain wrote: is it possible that the phenomena of thought is itself a dimension and also is it not a similar if not the same dimension as the environment of electrical impulses we designed as computers?

BAWWW. BABIES FIRST EPIPHANY.


[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:23 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:21 AM, EmperorOfSwag wrote:
At 7/9/11 04:20 AM, zooos wrote: Related to this post, I think it's pretty safe to say that humans are merely an organic, sophisticated computer.
i'm just going to agree with this

as it's correct

What does it have to do with the OP's question though?

dj9547
dj9547
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:26 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:17 AM, Xenomit wrote: FINALY someone intelegent.

Ahem. Hm. I'm sorry, what?

Maybe it's possible. We don't know, and can't prove it, so why think about it?


.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:31 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:26 AM, dj9547 wrote:
At 7/9/11 04:17 AM, Xenomit wrote: FINALY someone intelegent.
Ahem. Hm. I'm sorry, what?

Maybe it's possible. We don't know, and can't prove it, so why think about it?

because you can learn.

i never learned anything from school. I just peiced together what i already knew, and everything turned out ok.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:31 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:23 AM, bgraybr wrote: What does it have to do with the OP's question though?

Nothing, I'm still waiting for the OP to clarify seeing as I don't think the way I'm interpreting his question is the way he intended, a mere observation while waiting in patience.


BBS Signature
LeonOfBlain
LeonOfBlain
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 04:49 AM Reply

sorry bout that i gotta learn to use these posts more wisely

Same thing if I'm understanding correctly, "two distinct dimensions" isn't that different from "two different realities".

well on that topic let me ask about reality would you say that a person who plays a computer mmorpg and interacts within it more often then the outside world lives in a seperate reality?

in my opinion we have created a world that follows a set of rules much like our physics and quantum mechanics and gave birth to a reality within electricty.

i"ll try to be more specific. consciousness as well as the world within computers are the world within electricity are the same type of dimension. (height, width and depth are spacial types of dimensions im not sure what type time is)

and can an electrical impulse be measured for these all three spacial dimensions? thats also a question unclear to me.

finally. that 4 posts per 30 mins limit is a lame rule.

DevourerJay
DevourerJay
  • Member since: Jan. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 05:41 AM Reply

nice google search of a physics question...


DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Sig By Xeno.
Formerly known as MissingNYC

BBS Signature
LeonOfBlain
LeonOfBlain
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 05:56 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 05:47 AM, Tramps wrote:
At 7/9/11 05:46 AM, Tramps wrote: Nice thought but no.
I think I misunderstood the question but included your answer somewhere in there.

well is there some set limit on how much energy a dimension must have to be considered a dimesion? we in fact uses more brain energy while sleeping, isnt that right?
maybe we use more brain energy to create a small scale dimension.

ps this is an awesome Flash that really helps put things into proportion

The Scale of the universe

i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 07:05 AM Reply

well is there some set limit on how much energy a dimension must have to be considered a dimesion? we in fact uses more brain energy while sleeping, isnt that right?

i don't know what you are talking about. what do you mean by dimension?

i suppose you meant 'degree of freedom'. the amount of energy in each dimension can be arbitary small. in fact, you can have an system with infinte degrees of freedom in thermodyanics, with arbitary small energy in each degree of freedom, and the total energy being summation of E_i's.


^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

LeonOfBlain
LeonOfBlain
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 07:41 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 07:05 AM, i-am-ghey wrote:
well is there some set limit on how much energy a dimension must have to be considered a dimesion? we in fact uses more brain energy while sleeping, isnt that right?
i don't know what you are talking about. what do you mean by dimension?

yeah i shoulda explained that one a bit better. what i mean is we in our awake state we observe reality. in a sense being able to sense the world outside our bodies is easy and perhaps our natural bodies are proof because our brains work less and use less energy but while we sleep are brains are creating or possible tapping into this dimension where space and things and people and lifeforms exist though for a fleeting moment you experienced and interacted with it so you can say it became data and on what dimesion does data exist? perhaps on the same plane as our thoughts, dreams and computer created environments

i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 07:50 AM Reply

lol. you are high.

information stored and processed by the human brain is finite as the number of neurons are finite. in the same sense that you computer has limited storage capacity (in terms of bytes).


^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Reader
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 10:33 AM Reply

It depends if you believe any claim is an empirically ascertainable thing.


Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 10:34 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 04:08 AM, LeonOfBlain wrote:
At 7/9/11 04:07 AM, psychicpebble wrote: penis.
thats what she said

i think we are done here...


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Reader
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 7/9/11 05:46 AM, Tramps wrote: It's not so much impossible as it is implausible. The mind, or imagination as you will, is a non-physical entity. The strangest philosophical thing we have to deal with is wondering why our physical selves can interact with this non-physical thing that is the mind. As a thought pops into your head, the thought that you're creating 'dimensions' is absurd seeing as thoughts can be forgotten or altered at your will.

And this depends if you believe in free will. The mind and imagination is still a physical entity if it is deterministically altered in conjunction to the processes which influence it.

For example if I imagine a bunny, the physical structure of that bunny is only determined by the physical bunny in the world which is independent to the mind. And the bunny has only been thought of because everything you do or see is a series of causal patterns. I was actually talking about bunnies earlier on which might suggest why it came into my mind as such.

Long debate, going to the gym, cya.


Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature
CherinoGears
CherinoGears
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Philosopy question for smart asses Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 10:37 AM Reply

Well then if our thoughts are just electric impulses in the brain; what happens to those impulses when we die? We know that the law of conservation of mass and energy says that it cant be destroyed or created; it just changes.

so what happens to "us" as a result?