00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

monsterparty drawrs.

49,139 Views | 286 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-12 18:53:35

I've started taking sketch requests for anyone who donates $5 or more to The ARMSmasters Project on Kickstarter. They've only got a week left and just under $2000 to raise, SO if anyone is interested in checking it out, look here.

And if you do donate and are interested in a sketch, send me message or just leave a comment with your request, and I'll send you a high resolution digital copy when the mission is complete.

So, yeah.
Below is the first one I did for G-F-D. He told me I could just draw whatever, so I drew up an old character from 8th grade. I love when I get to whip out the oldies.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-12 21:39:20

At 10/12/12 06:53 PM, monsterparty wrote: So, yeah.
Below is the first one I did for G-F-D. He told me I could just draw whatever, so I drew up an old character from 8th grade. I love when I get to whip out the oldies.

This is awesome! You draw the best mouths lol.

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-12 22:16:43

Really slick stuff, love your line art and the quality of your strokes. Yeah, the mouths are great, remind me of many french and italian comic artists who do great expressions. Keep it up, great to have you here.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-14 11:15:17

At 10/12/12 09:39 PM, Sockembop wrote: This is awesome! You draw the best mouths lol.

Thanks! Haha, I almost never think about the mouths. Mostly teeth. I love drawing teeth.

At 10/12/12 10:16 PM, Hyptosis wrote: Really slick stuff, love your line art and the quality of your strokes. Yeah, the mouths are great, remind me of many french and italian comic artists who do great expressions. Keep it up, great to have you here.

Why, thanks you. :]
It's interesting to see how people relate my work to others influences. I've never looked at any European comics, but it'd probably we worth checking out.

Well, here is some work from an Illustrator assignment for my Digital Fundamentals class. In the end, I'm gonna have to choose a color scheme, clean it up, and print it. I can't decide which is my favorite. Either the one on the top right or the bottom left. Decisions, decisions...

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-14 13:35:13

I love everything you do, your quality of line is beautiful. Do you think you could tell me a little about your process, from start to finish? I'm curious as to how you work

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-15 20:23:02

At 10/14/12 01:35 PM, Otto wrote: I love everything you do, your quality of line is beautiful. Do you think you could tell me a little about your process, from start to finish? I'm curious as to how you work

Thanks. :]
I was about to start working on a picture for Legolass when I saw this, so I tried to keep track of it and take notes as I went along. It's pretty rough, but hopefully they still get the idea across.

THE VISUAL

1. Start with thumbnails. These usually go on the top corner of the page I'm drawing on. I like putting it on the actual page, so I can refer to it without having to look away. I attack them as gesture drawings because having the silhouette lets me layer on scribbles on top of scribbles of what I know are body parts without getting confused. It's also a good time to try out different poses.

2. I start the drawing with the lines of action for each character. It helps me balance the figure and also helps keep my focus while I'm building the characters, so none of the looseness of the original thumbnail gets lost in translation. I never goes as far as drawing an actual skeleton or stick figure. It helps me if, from the beginning, I'm thinking in three dimensions. I go straight into a very, very rough sketch over the action lines, which you can kind of see under everything. The idea of this first sketch over is to stay focused on the flow and weight of the figures as opposed to anything technical about structure.

3. Start definition. This is where I start paying attention to anatomy, and also start working more on things like facial and hand expression. With cartoons, there's a lot more breathing room, so I don't really worry too much about getting everything anatomically perfect, but it still has to be believable. I forgot to scan this step, but before adding clothes and everything, I make sure the figures are down. If I'm ever confused about how a limb is moving, I'll draw "seams" across it that help define it.

4. A little cleaning and more work on details. I still keep the lines light just so I don't have to make any commitments just yet.

5. When I'm finally happy with everything, it's just cleaning and sharpening from then on in. On this though, somehow I messed up the footing for the last image, so I'm gonna have to go back and fix that.

And I will because I'm going to be coloring this. While I'm at it, I guess I'll take notes on that too for Jester and Sock. :]

I hope that helped! That was the very basics of how I do a sketch. There are a lot of little details that I'm kind of anal about, but as far as my general process goes for character drawings, I'd have to say that's it pretty much it.

And just slipping this in here, for the next four days, I'll still be doing sketches for people who donate $5 or more to the ARMSmasters project on Kickstarter if anyone is interested.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-16 06:41:35

At 10/15/12 08:23 PM, monsterparty wrote: I was about to start working on a picture for Legolass when I saw this, so I tried to keep track of it and take notes as I went along. It's pretty rough, but hopefully they still get the idea across.

Amazing... truly amazing!

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-16 12:31:35

At 10/15/12 08:23 PM, monsterparty wrote: ... And I will because I'm going to be coloring this. While I'm at it, I guess I'll take notes on that too for Jester and Sock. :]

Your art is wonderbar! I'd love to see your coloring process.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-26 19:19:09

Thanks, guys! :]
Still working on coloring your thing. We just had midterms at school this week, so I took a break from everything for it. So yes, that is coming shortly.

When I opened Painter again though, I felt the need to do something painterly, so SELF-PORTRAIT.

The picture below was from about 40 minutes in. Final product is: DOOT!

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-27 01:26:49

At 10/26/12 07:19 PM, monsterparty wrote: The picture below was from about 40 minutes in. Final product is: DOOT!

Wow, you captured yourself amazingly........ even though I have no idea what you look like.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-07 21:14:56

At 10/27/12 01:26 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 10/26/12 07:19 PM, monsterparty wrote:
Wow, you captured yourself amazingly........ even though I have no idea what you look like.

Well, thank you. :]
I think it's the most accurate self-portrait I've ever done so I guess I would say I look like that.

About 3 hours into a school project. I'm definitely not a fast painter, but I've definitely been getting better. And I know, more portraits. Sorry.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-08 12:52:38

At 11/7/12 09:14 PM, monsterparty wrote: About 3 hours into a school project. I'm definitely not a fast painter, but I've definitely been getting better. And I know, more portraits. Sorry.

Don't apologize for awesomeness!

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-09 20:20:53

At 11/8/12 12:52 PM, Nacco wrote:
At 11/7/12 09:14 PM, monsterparty wrote: About 3 hours into a school project. I'm definitely not a fast painter, but I've definitely been getting better. And I know, more portraits. Sorry.
Don't apologize for awesomeness!

Ha, sorry! I feel like I've been doing a lot of portraits lately.

Well, here's a little more on this.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-10 19:33:03

MOAR.
At this point, I'm just over 5 hours of work. Just out of curiosity, about how long would you assume something like this takes? I've always known myself to be a pretty slow worker, and I'm just kinda wondering if I'm heading in the right direction as far as speed goes.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-10 19:49:03

At 11/10/12 07:33 PM, monsterparty wrote: MOAR.
At this point, I'm just over 5 hours of work. Just out of curiosity, about how long would you assume something like this takes? I've always known myself to be a pretty slow worker, and I'm just kinda wondering if I'm heading in the right direction as far as speed goes.

:\

It takes almost 5 hours to do a decent coloured doodle. A full painting/illustration is probably closer to 15 hours.

And it still wouldn't be nearly this good.

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-10 19:49:10

At 11/10/12 07:33 PM, monsterparty wrote: MOAR.

Hmmmm who knows, I know for sure that you're faster then me lol. Though really professional artists sometime pull off awesome art in 1 hour or 3hours or even longer.

But you're drawing 3 people with only the top half of the body being shown, so yeah who knows.

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-10 20:04:54

Hey did I ever tell you that I'm a fan and I love you? Because I really do.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-10 20:31:34

At 11/10/12 08:04 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Hey did I ever tell you that I'm a fan and I love you? Because I really do.

Oh yeah. Me too.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-11 19:15:29

At 11/10/12 08:31 PM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 11/10/12 08:04 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Hey did I ever tell you that I'm a fan and I love you? Because I really do.
Oh yeah. Me too.

:D rival! you kick my ass! im falling behind! i might as well give up, i cant do portraits or anything along those lines for shit. but i can't give up because you inspire me.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-12 09:43:48

Daw. Y'all give me the honey glow something awful.

Here's another school assignment. I've been going back and forth between this and the digital painting all weekend. It's stippling, so both images are made up of thousands of tiny, tiny little dots. I tried to get a close up, but my camera is pretty sucky. It kept going out of focus. Anyway, SO glad this is over. Over 20 hours of my life put into these two 5x5 squares.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-12 11:03:32

At 11/12/12 09:43 AM, monsterparty wrote: Daw. Y'all give me the honey glow something awful.

Here's another school assignment. I've been going back and forth between this and the digital painting all weekend. It's stippling, so both images are made up of thousands of tiny, tiny little dots. I tried to get a close up, but my camera is pretty sucky. It kept going out of focus. Anyway, SO glad this is over. Over 20 hours of my life put into these two 5x5 squares.

YOU MONSTER!!!!....THAT PARTY!!! This awesome and crazy 8D

So what ink pen did you use to get such small dots? (or how exactly big was those 5x5 squares, I suck at measuring).

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-12 12:06:56

At 11/12/12 11:03 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: So what ink pen did you use to get such small dots? (or how exactly big was those 5x5 squares, I suck at measuring).

Use your brain Zane, 5x5 more than likely means 5 inches by 5 inches, which is probably smaller than your stretched out hand.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-14 10:55:32

At 11/12/12 11:03 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: YOU MONSTER!!!!....THAT PARTY!!! This awesome and crazy 8D

So what ink pen did you use to get such small dots? (or how exactly big was those 5x5 squares, I suck at measuring).

Thanks! And yes, Jonny's right. It's 5x5 inches. For the pen, I used a 005 Pigma Micron. It's the smallest size they offer, but I still had to apply it very delicately or else the dots would still be too large.

Well, I'm kind of stuck on this painting. I started working out the clothes. The guy on the right is completely finished, the middle is halfway done, and the guy on the left has hardly been touched at all. For the one in the middle though, I'm torn on how to make his shirt.

The top version is slightly more realistic in regards to lighting, but I thought having it just red, solid, and flat was sort of an interesting juxtaposition to the faces, which have really strong value. Any opinions?

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-14 11:18:58

At 11/14/12 10:55 AM, monsterparty wrote: The top version is slightly more realistic in regards to lighting, but I thought having it just red, solid, and flat was sort of an interesting juxtaposition to the faces, which have really strong value. Any opinions?

I like the bottom one better.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-14 11:39:33

At 11/14/12 10:55 AM, monsterparty wrote:
At 11/12/12 11:03 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: YOU MONSTER!!!!....THAT PARTY!!! This awesome and crazy 8D

Thanks! And yes, Jonny's right. It's 5x5 inches. For the pen, I used a 005 Pigma Micron. It's the smallest size they offer, but I still had to apply it very delicately or else the dots would still be too large.

Well, I'm kind of stuck on this painting. I started working out the clothes. The guy on the right is completely finished, the middle is halfway done, and the guy on the left has hardly been touched at all. For the one in the middle though, I'm torn on how to make his shirt.

The top version is slightly more realistic in regards to lighting, but I thought having it just red, solid, and flat was sort of an interesting juxtaposition to the faces, which have really strong value. Any opinions?

I'll go with the top since it's more realistic in lightning

I notice 2 area that make me feel iffy. Though the spot where the hair is at could be nothing that's actually wrong with it. I do however notice that the shadow on the mouth is bothering me.

monsterparty drawrs.

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-16 23:21:56

Yeah! The hair thing always bothered me, and I couldn't stop messing with it. I ended up taking the whole thing out all together. As for the shadow though, it was in my original reference picture. I changed it a tiny, tiny little bit to try and make it not look so... crazy, I guess, so hopefully it made a difference.

The shirt. I ended up making it more realistic. I saved it for last, and figured that whatever I end up doing I should just try and make it consistent with the rest of it.

But yeah! It's up in the portal now. I had to turn it in today, so hopefully there isn't anything that's too distractingly wrong.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-30 16:41:14

Winter break can't come fast enough. SO ready for this semester to be over.
I just finished up the final project to one of my classes... a liberal arts class, so nothing special, but I thought I'd reward myself with a visit to the old sketchbook. Can't wait til I have time for this again. :)

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-11-30 20:34:44

...and another.
Decided that I don't really want to do anything else today.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-12-06 18:21:23

I finally remembered to take pictures of some of my school stuff. All of the next few drawings are gonna be from my foundation drawing class, the one I mentioned a few pages ago where I posted up some sketches of boxes and a chair.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-12-06 18:28:12

I kind of just gave up on this in the end, the end being the top left of it. Well, mostly that obnoxious white light bulb in the middle.

monsterparty drawrs.