00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

monsterparty drawrs.

49,114 Views | 286 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-17 16:21:36

The concept for a bass guitar I'm painting that I just now decided to scrap.
Back to the drawing board... later.
When I finish that digital painting that I'm most definitely going to finish. :)

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-17 19:36:01

At 6/17/12 04:21 PM, monsterparty wrote: Back to the drawing board... later.

Bu... Bu... But.... Its awesome! whats wrong with it!

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-18 21:30:10

Yo honey, your art gets me all hot and bothered. I don't know what's wrong with the design either, but being a plebian man servant in face of your sexy lines I'll completely trust in your judgement and turn my uneducated eye to more mundane and less attractive pursuits.

WHOOPS. I seem to have spilt jealousy all over myself.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-19 02:04:02

At 6/17/12 07:36 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 6/17/12 04:21 PM, monsterparty wrote: Back to the drawing board... later.
Bu... Bu... But.... Its awesome! whats wrong with it!

Thanks. :]
Nothing is actually wrong with it, I guess, but the guitar is for my brother. He's moving to LA soon with his band to do band things, so I want to surprise him with this good bye, good luck gift. Originally I picked a Valkyrie as a way of saying "Hopefully paradise awaits you at the end of your battle" sort of thing, but after hanging out with him this weekend for the first time since Christmas, it occurred to me that it just doesn't suit his image. Though it'd be cool for display, I'm paying for hundreds of dollars in upgrades to make this cheap bass sound awesome, soooo... you know.

At 6/18/12 09:30 PM, Lintire wrote: Yo honey, your art gets me all hot and bothered. I don't know what's wrong with the design either, but being a plebian man servant in face of your sexy lines I'll completely trust in your judgement and turn my uneducated eye to more mundane and less attractive pursuits.

WHOOPS. I seem to have spilt jealousy all over myself.

You make me smile.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-19 18:12:33

Hey Rival, i still see you are up and kicking (ass)! awesome work cant wait to see this latest one done!

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-20 23:39:41

At 6/19/12 06:12 PM, Ramatsu wrote: Hey Rival, i still see you are up and kicking (ass)! awesome work cant wait to see this latest one done!

Hey, you're back! :D

---

I've been trying a lot of new things with this, so my progress has been pretty slow. It's almost finished though, so that's nice. Probably won't update until I'm done.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-21 05:17:19

I'm not sure what program your using but this picture could be way better with some editing.
I hope you dont mind, i adjusted the image so you can see.
Increased the contrast, made the shadows more blue and the highlights more yellow.

Also i love what you got going on here, nice thread!

monsterparty drawrs.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-21 22:20:32

At 6/21/12 05:17 AM, Flowers10 wrote: I'm not sure what program your using but this picture could be way better with some editing.
I hope you dont mind, i adjusted the image so you can see.
Increased the contrast, made the shadows more blue and the highlights more yellow.

Also i love what you got going on here, nice thread!

Thaaaanks. c:
And thank you for being a dear and reminding me of the wonders of digital media!
I was working on this a little today and found myself a little upset about how flat it was. So glad a checked this. I'm definitely going to change up the contrasts, probably make it a little more saturated. I don't know if I'm going to shade towards blue like you did, simply because it was my intention to make everything very warm and have it glow. I'll have to experiment more with the colors and see what happens. I'm excited.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-06-29 00:30:24

Oh, man. I will never get around to finishing anything.

Just a thing. I was reading up on guns and was compelled to doodle myself a guy. My paper was too big for my scanner, so I had to take a picture. This was as clear as I could get it.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-08-14 14:13:43

A quick commission. Acrylic on what I think is 16x24 canvas. I don't remember.

This isn't a stellar picture of it. It looked fine on the camera, but looking at it bigger, eh. Not that it was really awesome to begin with.
I had to slip it in between a bunch of other stuff I'm working on, so I rushed through it. I kind of feel guilty about the parts I half-assed, but I only asked for $20, which is really just enough to cover the cost of material. Hopefully that justifies it a little.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-08-14 15:27:31

At 6/29/12 12:30 AM, monsterparty wrote: Oh, man. I will never get around to finishing anything.

Just a thing. I was reading up on guns and was compelled to doodle myself a guy. My paper was too big for my scanner, so I had to take a picture. This was as clear as I could get it.

This is an awesome concept, i really dig the gun. think i need to work on some myself. yeah i started working with bigger papers so its hard to scan things nowadays so i am investing in a digital camera.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-08-17 22:37:10

At 8/14/12 03:27 PM, Ramatsu wrote: This is an awesome concept, i really dig the gun. think i need to work on some myself. yeah i started working with bigger papers so its hard to scan things nowadays so i am investing in a digital camera.

Thanks! Yeah, I've recently developed a fascination with guns, and I'm drawing them all the tim, and most def get a decent camera. I bought one a while ago for a road trip, but after that, all I ever do with it is take pictures of my drawings.
SIGH. If only I had a life.

At 8/14/12 03:29 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: If you're every concerned about a digital painting being flat, add more layers of foreground. A solid, dark silhouette in the foreground always works to enhance depth.

Thanks for the input. Creating depth, perspective, just backgrounds in general are definitely my weakness. After working on the Boop painting, I realized how tired I am of just drawing characters all the time, so I think it's about time for me to break out of the comfort zone and work on this other stuff.

Well, here's something weird. I was asked to paint a local high school football team's logo for a friends birthday on a ceiling tile of all things. Ha, it's off center, which makes me shake my head a little, but what's done is done, I guess.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-08-19 00:39:58

The aforementioned bass that I'll be painting.
It originally had a black body and a white pickguard, but now everything's been spray painted ivory.
I have a pretty busy day tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll get to actually start painting. If anything, I'm gonna try and have the design drawn out and ready to go. I have to have all of this done before I leave for school next Friday, so I've really gotta fly on this one.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-08-19 01:23:51

At 8/19/12 12:39 AM, monsterparty wrote: The aforementioned bass that I'll be painting.
It originally had a black body and a white pickguard, but now everything's been spray painted ivory.
I have a pretty busy day tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll get to actually start painting. If anything, I'm gonna try and have the design drawn out and ready to go. I have to have all of this done before I leave for school next Friday, so I've really gotta fly on this one.

Oh nice, I just painted my bass myself. What type of paint are you going to use? And are you going to do a full on drawing or like vector designs and stuff?

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-08-20 16:00:50

At 8/19/12 01:23 AM, JackDGreatest wrote:
At 8/19/12 12:39 AM, monsterparty wrote: The aforementioned bass that I'll be painting.
Oh nice, I just painted my bass myself. What type of paint are you going to use? And are you going to do a full on drawing or like vector designs and stuff?

Oh, awesome. I checked it out in your gallery, and it's really cool. Did you just hand paint it?
I'm gonna be using my airbrushes and do a full on drawing. Sort of. It's a really simple design. This is just a quick digital rendering of what I had in mind. In the actual thing, I'd add more details to the horns, and if I have time, put some skulls and stuff behind her.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-08-20 17:22:52

At 8/20/12 04:00 PM, monsterparty wrote: Oh, awesome. I checked it out in your gallery, and it's really cool. Did you just hand paint it?
I'm gonna be using my airbrushes and do a full on drawing. Sort of. It's a really simple design. This is just a quick digital rendering of what I had in mind. In the actual thing, I'd add more details to the horns, and if I have time, put some skulls and stuff behind her.

Thanks, Yeah all hand done with acrylics (probably not the best choice in hindsight) That's going to be an awesome bass, I look forward to the end result

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-08-26 20:36:16

Finally reached the end of this busy week! Just moved into my college dorm, and classes start next week. I don't know what I'll be doing art-wise for the first few days while everyone gets situated, but when things start happening, I guess you'll get to see a lot of my school work. Hopefully in the next four years, I'll have my BFA, and a pretty sweet job in the animation industry.

Anyhow, this is as far as I got on the bass before moving. Unfortunately it stormed the last couple of days I was at home, and I didn't get to go out and work on it at all. That was a little disappointing since I can't get back to it until December. But yeah, that's enough of my life I guess.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-16 12:51:24

Oh my gosh! Art school is totally kicking my ass! :D

I have a B- in my Foundations class, and all we've done is draw boxes. I'm humbled to the fact that I know absolutely nothing about perspective. That's what I get for skipping ahead to the fun stuff.

aaand, the chair on the bottom right. It's awful, I know, Especially the box underneath. It was a quick rough I worked out today for a study before I put it on big paper.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-16 14:32:57

At 9/16/12 12:51 PM, monsterparty wrote: Oh my gosh! Art school is totally kicking my ass! :D

I have a B- in my Foundations class, and all we've done is draw boxes. I'm humbled to the fact that I know absolutely nothing

If that's B- , I wonder what an A+ is 8O

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-16 15:48:13

At 9/16/12 02:32 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: If that's B- , I wonder what an A+ is 8O

Exactly my thoughts...

I have been toying with the idea of maybe going back to school... Considering taking something related to art... But that post made me question whether or not I could handle it...

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-16 16:02:32

At 9/16/12 03:48 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 9/16/12 02:32 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: If that's B- , I wonder what an A+ is 8O
Exactly my thoughts...

I have been toying with the idea of maybe going back to school... Considering taking something related to art... But that post made me question whether or not I could handle it...

what they said! i want to start taking art classes but talk about expensive.. thats what is mainly keeping me from getting into an art school.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-16 17:41:28

At 9/16/12 03:48 PM, Sockembop wrote:
Exactly my thoughts...

No! I don't mean to turn off anybody from considering going to school for art because there's a reason they exist. I was pretty proud about being a self-taught artist, but being here really showed me that I just don't know what I don't know. Yes, it's tough, but in just the couple of weeks that I've been here, I can really tell I'm improving. My eyes have gotten a lot sharper in regards to errors in perspective, so it's SO worth it already. As rapidly as I'm forced to learn, I honestly believe that I could ace that class by the end of the semester.

At 9/16/12 04:02 PM, Ramatsu wrote: what they said! i want to start taking art classes but talk about expensive.. thats what is mainly keeping me from getting into an art school.

Scholarships! :D
Look for schools that have scholarship opportunities because yes, they are expensive. If it hadn't been for scholarships, I most definitely couldn't be here. Not on minimum wage.

I figure I'd start updating my thread regularly with art school assignments, so people can kind of track what an art school is about from start to finish. Like a blog, I guess. I'm majoring in animation, so in four years time, I'd go from drawing boxes to actually making me some cartoons.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-16 19:49:19

meow I like these meow!

Well, that's just radical. You're radical.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-28 10:39:01

At 9/16/12 09:27 PM, bigCman321 wrote: I'm trying to double major in business and studio art right now. I recently started getting serious about art less than a year ago (I've always sketched and doodled, but stopped during high school). I personally think I've made a ton of progress overall (although I haven't taken many classes yet, so most of it's from practicing and challenging myself).

Loving your art though, lots of great stuff here. Do you have a deviantart account or something? I've had one for year but only recently became truly active.

I do have a deviantart somewhere. Since joining Newgrounds though, I haven't done anything with it. I stayed a little while to see what friends put up, but after the MLP fandom broke out, they all made the switch to putting up nothing but pony art. Yeah... so I just stopped going all together.
And thanks! I'm a fan of what yours too. From the first to the current stuff on your thread, it's obvious you've been improving, and I love to watch. :]

Well, this is some more school stuff. We're going over Illustrator in my Digital Fundamentals class and we had to pick a shape and create 4 different compositions with it. This is actually my second attempt at it. The first time, I apparently did it completely wrong and only had a couple of hours to redo it, so I made some boring stuff just to get it done on time. If I finish digitizing my first attempt, I'll put that one up too for comparison, I guess.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-29 19:05:33

A character design for the antagonist in my Creative Visualization class. She's kind of an old character that I've just now gotten around to fully developing. Actually, she's the thing I was attempting on the first page of my thread for this big, huge picture that I never finished. Comparing then and now though, I feel like I've gotten a little better at painting digitally. The protagonist is coming up sooner or later, but for now I've got other homework to do!

It's kind of interesting looking at my last three posts from school, just how different they are in content.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-30 23:06:45

I was in the middle of painting my protagonist when I realized I kind of actually have a method for painting hair that I kind of actually like.

So I was thinking about maybe making a tutorial for it in the near future since I've read a lot through the forums that people struggle with hair a little. In this picture I'm working on, there's like three or four steps in it going clockwise. So that's just a thought If anyone is interested in painting like this. Hopefully it isn't too dark to see.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-09-30 23:24:01

At 9/30/12 11:06 PM, monsterparty wrote:

So I was thinking about maybe making a tutorial for it in the near future since I've read a lot through the forums that people struggle with hair a little.

I really really like the way you color and would love if you made a tutorial. Not necessarily for hair, just the way you paint people in general is amazing.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-01 00:01:51

At 9/30/12 11:06 PM, monsterparty wrote: I was in the middle of painting my protagonist when I realized I kind of actually have a method for painting hair that I kind of actually like.

It looks awesome!

So I was thinking about maybe making a tutorial for it in the near future

Yes pls!!!

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-04 16:42:49

At 9/30/12 11:24 PM, Jester wrote: I really really like the way you color and would love if you made a tutorial. Not necessarily for hair, just the way you paint people in general is amazing.

Thanks! I'm actually still trying to find a technique that I like for digital painting. Right now, my method feels pretty inefficient. Despite that, I guess I paint pretty decent, but I think all it takes to know is the fundamentals. I feel like if people are learning to do this stuff, it would help to start all the way back to the initial sketch and work up from there. So... drawing tutorials anybody? Haha, I'm in no way an authority over this, but if anyone thinks I'd be able to help, I'd be glad to try.

At 10/1/12 12:01 AM, Sockembop wrote: It looks awesome!

Why, thank you!

Putting up the final version. I finished up a while ago, but kind of lost track of time.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2012-10-06 20:31:44

My car's battery died today, and I was trapped at a CVS while waiting for my roommate to come get me.
While waiting, I went inside to grab chocolate things but found myself contemplating seriously about getting an eye patch. I almost put back some Oreos for it, but at the moment, I just really needed... cookies.

In retrospect though, that eye patch probably would've made me just as happy.

When I get my car battery replaced, I might have to go back and get it.

monsterparty drawrs.