New Topic Respond to this Topic
TrevorMcNally
TrevorMcNally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:07 PM Reply

If you're not a Marine or at least military, then you probably won't understand this. But for all my brothers in arms this is my "light" take on being stuck in formations ;) Follow This Link!

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:18 PM Reply

I disagree I think they are quite fun. Well not fun.... relaxing maybe. Okay not relaxing but tolerable. A little better than tolerable... not enjoyable..... I can't find a word. I don't dislike them though.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
TrevorMcNally
TrevorMcNally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:22 PM Reply

At 7/3/11 06:18 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: I disagree I think they are quite fun. Well not fun.... relaxing maybe. Okay not relaxing but tolerable. A little better than tolerable... not enjoyable..... I can't find a word. I don't dislike them though.

lol, see how you feel after a couple years of them :)

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:29 PM Reply

At 7/3/11 06:22 PM, TrevorMcNally wrote: lol, see how you feel after a couple years of them :)

It's been a year and a half including bootcamp. I'm still ok with them. I like the structure and neatness. What I don't like is the person next to me having gas.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:01 PM Reply

how often does an officer get chewed out for piss-poor formations? I expect to see this at OCS

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:15 PM Reply

You look like white trash with that hoodie on and sunglasses on while you're INSIDE.

Douchebags in the marines, go figure.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
Xgsniper
Xgsniper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:18 PM Reply

At 7/3/11 07:15 PM, robotking98 wrote: You look like white trash with that hoodie on and sunglasses on while you're INSIDE.

I'm pretty sure he's doing that in a half-assed attempt at hiding his identity.

robotking98
robotking98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 7/3/11 07:18 PM, Xgsniper wrote:
At 7/3/11 07:15 PM, robotking98 wrote: You look like white trash with that hoodie on and sunglasses on while you're INSIDE.

I'm pretty sure he's doing that in a half-assed attempt at hiding his identity.

That's why he gives his name, right?
Of course it COULD be a fake name, but then they still have his voice, and anyone who knows him and sees the video will know it's him by the sound of his voice most likely.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature
TrevorMcNally
TrevorMcNally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:24 PM Reply

At 7/3/11 07:01 PM, STEM wrote: how often does an officer get chewed out for piss-poor formations? I expect to see this at OCS

lol, I have NEVER seen an officer even remotely give a fuck as to what a formation looks like (with the exception of retirement ceremonies etc...) It's different with each unit, some places you may never find yourself in a formation. There's MOS's in the Marine Corps where you don't even wear cammies (CID Stuff). It's good that you're going in as an officer though, on the enlisted side, you'll spend 90% of your life doing nothing productive at all. (often times due to a lack of terrible leadership). I've considered using the MECEP program to become commissioned, but I think I'm ready to move on in my life :)

Back on subject though, at OCS you'll be primarily trained in leadership whereas being enlisted you primarily get trained in DRILL (discipline). You shouldn't have to worry about any of the marching/drill/formations etc... for the most part. Just recently I did a retirement ceremony and one of the Commanders in the parade got pissed and started yelling, "I can't hear the commands! Fuck! I don't even know how to drill!" lol

TrevorMcNally
TrevorMcNally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:28 PM Reply

No, I'm not trying to hide my identity. It's just part of having character. Like this guy.

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:42 PM Reply

Army > Navy

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
TrevorMcNally
TrevorMcNally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 7/3/11 07:42 PM, Dromedary wrote: Army > Navy

Army is BIGGER than the Navy, but the only real way you can compare the services is by how effective they are with their funding. In this sense the Army (biggest money waster, but they have all the cool shit) loses by a LONG shot, Navy/Airforce come in 2nd and the Marines easily win (I swear to God I've got CIF issue gear that dates back to Vietnam). Anyways, nobody cares what service > the other service. It's like comparing apples and oranges and in the end we've all got the same objective.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:04 PM Reply

Cavalry!

fear my waves of mounted horsemen with machine guns

BBS Signature
Wagggs
Wagggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:23 PM Reply

At 7/3/11 07:53 PM, TrevorMcNally wrote:
Army is BIGGER than the Navy, but the only real way you can compare the services is by how effective they are with their funding. In this sense the Army (biggest money waster, but they have all the cool shit) loses by a LONG shot, Navy/Airforce come in 2nd and the Marines easily win (I swear to God I've got CIF issue gear that dates back to Vietnam). Anyways, nobody cares what service > the other service. It's like comparing apples and oranges and in the end we've all got the same objective.

The fuck you talkin' bout Willis?

The Army, being the bigger service, also has a larger budget. And don't tell me the Army gets all the cool shit. Have you been in and lived in an Army base? Its shit. The ammenities suck. Don't complain about your shitty gear, because if your service spent their money wiser than the Army then they'd have the same or better gear. Army logic is, "Yeah, we'll spend more money so we can have a better fighting force."

Saying the Army is the worst financially is like putting an F1 against a pick-up truck in a drag race, and saying, "Well, at least the guy in the truck saved some money!"

Exploding genitalia
"Get buttfucked in the mouth." | "Dammit, let me spread my anger, breed my hate!"

TrevorMcNally
TrevorMcNally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 12:35 AM Reply

At 7/3/11 11:23 PM, Wagggs wrote:

The Army, being the bigger service, also has a larger budget. And don't tell me the Army gets all the cool shit. Have you been in and lived in an Army base? Its shit. The ammenities suck. Don't complain about your shitty gear, because if your service spent their money wiser than the Army then they'd have the same or better gear. Army logic is, "Yeah, we'll spend more money so we can have a better fighting force."

Saying the Army is the worst financially is like putting an F1 against a pick-up truck in a drag race, and saying, "Well, at least the guy in the truck saved some money!"

You completely missed the point...even with our "vietnam era" gear, our mission success is impeccable compared to the haphazard careless tactics of the Army. Also, I'm not arguing in favor of the Marine Corps because I am a Marine...I'd rather be in the Air Force - better quality of life. It's just facts.

Wagggs
Wagggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 12:59 AM Reply

At 7/4/11 12:35 AM, TrevorMcNally wrote:
At 7/3/11 11:23 PM, Wagggs wrote:

You completely missed the point...even with our "vietnam era" gear, our mission success is impeccable compared to the haphazard careless tactics of the Army. Also, I'm not arguing in favor of the Marine Corps because I am a Marine...I'd rather be in the Air Force - better quality of life. It's just facts.

I did have the point entirely. You said how effective they are with funding, NOT how combat effective they are. Even so, the Army's tactics are not careless. I really don't know where you got that notion. You do realize that all tactics in the military are centralized, right? Grunt in the Army learn the same stuff as grunt Marines, and the same with other combat MOS's. There is just some variation with the different services but the core learning is all the same.

Exploding genitalia
"Get buttfucked in the mouth." | "Dammit, let me spread my anger, breed my hate!"

TrevorMcNally
TrevorMcNally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 01:30 AM Reply

I did have the point entirely. You said how effective they are with funding, NOT how combat effective they are. Even so, the Army's tactics are not careless. I really don't know where you got that notion. You do realize that all tactics in the military are centralized, right? Grunt in the Army learn the same stuff as grunt Marines, and the same with other combat MOS's. There is just some variation with the different services but the core learning is all the same.

I got that notion from watching them act like disposable cutlery in Afghanistan. All tactics are not centralized. If they were, then we'd have the same bootcamp. (The only centralized tactics belong to special forces training such as Jump Schools, Dive Schools etc...MARSOC/RECON/Rangers/SEAL training). In general, the discipline and leadership in the Army is garbage. Why else would I have been telling Army sergeants what to do in Afghanistan as a Corporal of Marines? Once again, I'm not prejudice towards any service, they all have their ups and downs. If you don't believe me, then join w/e branch you feel like when you're old enough and experience it for yourself. Getting the chance to deploy and fight for your country is a remarkable experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing.

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 7/3/11 07:53 PM, TrevorMcNally wrote: we've all got the same objective.

My objective was to start a flame war.

In all seriousness though, I respect both services equally, and good luck with your career, stay safe.

Marine Corps Formations Explained

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Marine Corps Formations Explained Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 01:50 PM Reply

Hmm....interesting.