New Topic Respond to this Topic
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Digital Piano Suggestions 2011-07-01 15:24:35 Reply

Willing to spend up to about £1,000 ($1725US) on a digital piano, just wanted to know if anyone knew some decent makes? I'm looking at the Casio PX830 and Kawai CL 36. Anyone know any other makes out there in similar vein?

I'm after something with in-built pedals and suppressors, and creates a great grand piano sound. Obviously I've tried the key action on both and am leaning towards the CL 36 for the fluency in the keys.

So... any suggestions?

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Digital Piano Suggestions 2011-07-01 15:28:14 Reply

I would seriously consider a Yamaha. You want to look at more than sound and feel. Although the Yamaha are great for those as well, it's also one of the more ROBUST makes out there. meaning, it's keys are less likely to break or get stuck in the down position after a few years of loving use.

Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Digital Piano Suggestions 2011-07-01 16:02:49 Reply

At 7/1/11 03:28 PM, brokendeck wrote: I would seriously consider a Yamaha. You want to look at more than sound and feel. Although the Yamaha are great for those as well, it's also one of the more ROBUST makes out there. meaning, it's keys are less likely to break or get stuck in the down position after a few years of loving use.

I had a play of a YDP141 and it was alright. It sounded superb, but I just didn't get into the keys that much... it felt somewhat spongy. I used to have a Yamaha and loved it to pieces, though. Lasted me years.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Digital Piano Suggestions 2011-07-01 16:10:24 Reply

At 7/1/11 04:02 PM, Markface wrote:
I had a play of a YDP141 and it was alright. It sounded superb, but I just didn't get into the keys that much... it felt somewhat spongy. I used to have a Yamaha and loved it to pieces, though. Lasted me years.

There are some Yamahas that have keys that feel and work like those of a real Grand Piano. I would get one of those if you want a more authentic piano "feel". But for your set price range...

ProudAardvark
ProudAardvark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Digital Piano Suggestions 2011-07-01 20:22:30 Reply

As a serious pianist I have to also recommend the keyboard feel of Yamaha, you can't go wrong with them really. I've had a P-85 for the last 10 years or so and love it.

BBS Signature