SantoNinoDeCebu
SantoNinoDeCebu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:10 PM Reply

Good tie breaker call as I'm in need of some new t-shirts!

Viridis
Viridis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 09:10 PM Reply

Congrats to all the winners. :)

PSN: Cloud-1409

BBS Signature
OreoSaki
OreoSaki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Art Lover
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 01:50 AM Reply

Uh...
Yea

Its my sig, its me, i made it, gtfo

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 02:00 AM Reply

It's gonna be a cold day in hell when I actually make it for the stream.

[SevkittyBBS, join LOSER] - [I am not a crook] - [Add me on Steam: svkkt]

BBS Signature
Neophyte-Ronin
Neophyte-Ronin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 04:58 AM Reply

Tanoku's "Mike Shadow: I Paid for It" is a game that should get front page. It's another one of those "Advancement Games" where you do the same damn thing over and over, like building a contraption and trying to get it to fly further with each attempt until... well, whatever. In any case, beating a vending machine to death with an intricate, customizable palette of techniques and then combining them with the limited amount of patience you get per round... well, it's actually pretty satisfying. And there are plenty of silly interludes between each attempt, so the gag never quite wears thin. This game has the best potential to be featured on the Front Page, out of the list given.

CrackerJack30
CrackerJack30
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 06:38 AM Reply

At 7/1/11 04:44 PM, bcdefg123 wrote: 2nd place! Awesome!

And well-deserved for you and your team!
Believe me, I talked to the elders.
They like your work.
They watch you.

Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Movie Buff
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 06:05 PM Reply

Oh hey I just realized I was the first to post here. <3

I have a penis

BBS Signature
Fox-hat134
Fox-hat134
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 10:56 PM Reply

At 7/1/11 04:44 PM, bcdefg123 wrote: 2nd place! Awesome!

it was a damn awesome game man loved the story it, loved the whole lovecraft type of feel it had to it

darkox32
darkox32
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 04:28 AM Reply

Mike shadow rules i played that game for 5-6 hrs couldnt stop tl i got 100k :D nice game upload more

BanglaBoy96
BanglaBoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 05:44 AM Reply

At 7/1/11 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: We are now BROADCASTING LIVE so come chat and watch stuff on NG with us!

AustinBreed came up with a list of his Game Jam winners and I broke the tie for third... HOPE IT'S OK.

Game Jam 5 Winners (1st-3rd, $150, $130, $100 Store Credit)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 2825
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 2817
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 2794
Close runner-up:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 2798
Please play them all!

So rigged, The Outsider was by far the best Game of this Game Jam and it comes 2nd?!
Ohhhh! I see because the "great" Jazza entered it was rigged to come 1st, FAIL.
3rd place game wasn't anything good and the runner up was better.

Our Game was better than 3rd and 4th Place. But of course! Let the overrated people outshine us regulars, Give other people a chance. It was an unfair decision all in all!

Next time I think the Public should be allowed vote. For their favorites. Instead of the whole system being easily rigged.
-BanglaBoy96

NEED A VOICE ACTOR?! YOU GOT ONE RIGHT HERE SWEETIE ;)

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 06:50 AM Reply

At 7/5/11 05:44 AM, BanglaBoy96 wrote: Our Game was better than 3rd and 4th Place. But of course! Let the overrated people outshine us regulars, Give other people a chance. It was an unfair decision all in all!

Well aren't you modest.

I just want to point out that your game, while it was fun and polished and everything, had almost nothing to do with the theme at all. I mean really, the theme was to make a game based on literature...you just made a canabalt-like game and threw some books in there.

Just my thoughts.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 09:00 AM Reply

At 7/5/11 05:44 AM, BanglaBoy96 wrote: Ohhhh! I see because the "great" Jazza entered it was rigged to come 1st, FAIL.

Jazza and his team made their game exceptionally well, and they deserved to win.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Jazza
Jazza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 09:57 PM Reply

So rigged, The Outsider was by far the best Game of this Game Jam and it comes 2nd?!

Our Game was better than 3rd and 4th Place. But of course! Let the overrated people outshine us regulars, Give other people a chance. It was an unfair decision all in all!

Next time I think the Public should be allowed vote. For their favorites. Instead of the whole system being easily rigged.
-BanglaBoy96

Ahahaha it's all one big conspiracy.

But if you actually use your brain you'll realize a few things, My team has never won a game jam until now and we've entered and loved every one of them, I personally expected to not win this time which I was fine with coz it's about the fun collaborative environment. You might also realize that the winners are picked by a single, unbiased game developer who knows what he's looking at, and when you suggest "the Public should be allowed vote. For their favorites. Instead of the whole system being easily rigged" you should use a little more of your brain and realize that's the WORST recipe for a public bias separate to quality since it ONLY becomes about who is more popular then another person.

Cheer up, get that sand out of your vagina, and participate in the game jams for FUN because that's what it's there for.

Lawyered.

follow me: TWITTER and FACEBOOK

BanglaBoy96
BanglaBoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 6th, 2011 @ 01:50 AM Reply

At 7/5/11 09:57 PM, JAZZA wrote: Ahahaha it's all one big conspiracy.

But if you actually use your brain you'll realize a few things, My team has never won a game jam until now and we've entered and loved every one of them, I personally expected to not win this time which I was fine with coz it's about the fun collaborative environment.

I love you Jazza, I really do :3

NEED A VOICE ACTOR?! YOU GOT ONE RIGHT HERE SWEETIE ;)

BBS Signature
tonicipriani
tonicipriani
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 6th, 2011 @ 12:14 PM Reply

Nice flashes there :)

levi101
levi101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 6th, 2011 @ 03:34 PM Reply

Hey peoples my aunt needs some sponsors so she can get into nascar ! I need some money so please send me some . TY

Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting

Nicholas-Deary
Nicholas-Deary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 6th, 2011 @ 10:31 PM Reply

Congratulations to the winners. It was great to be part of the game jam!

BBS Signature
bcdefg123
bcdefg123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Programmer
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 8th, 2011 @ 12:54 AM Reply

At 7/5/11 05:44 AM, BanglaBoy96 wrote:
At 7/1/11 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: We are now BROADCASTING LIVE so come chat and watch stuff on NG with us!

AustinBreed came up with a list of his Game Jam winners and I broke the tie for third... HOPE IT'S OK.

Game Jam 5 Winners (1st-3rd, $150, $130, $100 Store Credit)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 2825
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 2817
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 2794
Close runner-up:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 2798
Please play them all!

-BanglaBoy96

Well, thank you for your support :P But I'll point out that games are not only judged by their score. I can't speak for Tom and Austin's personal set of criteria, but I imagine that a game must adhere to the theme (their chosen book), be fun to play, and be balanced like a game should. Originality is also a desirable trait in a Jam game. In terms of adhering to the theme, we excelled, and dare I say we did it even more than JAZZA's team did (although I must say I didn't play their game all the way through). While our game might have been fun, it's really just a point and click at heart. A simple one, too. JAZZA had us beat here. Finally, in terms of balance, I think we also had the upper hand here. I've heard a fair share of complaints about the Robinson Crusoe game saying it was too hard, or went too fast. Inversely, however, you can also blame us - many say The Outsider is easy. Which is mainly due to its brisk length. Finally, a point and click isn't the most original thing around, but JAZZA's team's game may have been a bit more so.

Now I did like your team's game, Bangla. However, as said before, you kinda missed the point of the theme, and I quote from the initial post the weekend of the Jam: "You must somehow adapt a published work of fiction/non-fiction into a game!" What you came up with is a game that takes three characters from different works, but doesn't adapt any of those stories into a story in the game. Also, it was not completely original - I've seen a fair share of run-until-you-die Flash games. To be fair, you did introduce the interesting mechanic of the books and transforming though.

Opening the voting up to the public would fix some problems and create others. For example, having only two people on the panel may create a bit of bias, even if they are both experienced game designers. You open it up to the public, and that problem goes away. Yet there is the new problem of having people that do not have that experience with games. Sure, some probably do, but I'll make a bold assumption that JAZZA's game would have gotten first anyway. Why? Probably because of the great opening cutscene and nothing else. Oh, and the fact that it's JAZZA Studios. The fact is, opening it to the public would only serve to intensify the problems that you want to be fixed. If you want proof, the recently released Best Of The Month results may be what you want.

As Aigis said, this was all for fun. I came into this competition not knowing how well I would do. I had one great success in the second game jam, but a complete and utter failure in the third. Plus, I didn't know who my team members would be, because I posted in the looking-for-members thread. I basically put it up to luck. I was - and am - completely awestruck at the results, and did not expect The Outsider to be this popular. I can't speak for Aigis and J-qb, but I imagine the same goes for them too. We got so much attention and licensing moolah out of it that, honestly, the results of this Jam don't matter to us quite as much as it does for others. But we're still glad that we got second, obviously. Placing was never the goal for me, but making a fun game in a single weekend with some great collaborators was. And we've succeeded in that.

So, if you want to complain and say your game was the best thing since sliced bread, you're really kinda missing the point of the Jam here, unless your Flash really is the best thing since sliced bread. Which is highly, HIGHLY unlikely, even outside a Game Jam.

amike324
amike324
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Game Jam 5 Winners, Broadcasting Jul. 9th, 2011 @ 12:18 AM Reply

Congrats to the winners

NICE JOB =D

"Do you not know that everyone who runs a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win".