Be a Supporter!

Synesthesia

  • 580 Views
  • 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
00-BEN-00
00-BEN-00
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Synesthesia 2011-06-29 13:03:49 Reply

I have it. And if you don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I recently started using it in my abstract art. I just uploaded something I made by translating my current feeling (a bit too emotional, I know) into forms and colors:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/00-be n-00/stargrid

I also have made something by translating music into art, bonus points if you are a synesthete and you can guess what genre of music:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/00-be n-00/sycret

How about you all? Did you know about synesthesia? Are you a synesthete? Did you just find out about that? Have you used it in your artwork, either accidentally or on purpose?


to Ben or not to Ben
YouTube
Wordpress Blog

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to Synesthesia 2011-06-29 13:19:27 Reply

At 6/29/11 01:03 PM, 00-BEN-00 wrote: I have it. And if you don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I recently started using it in my abstract art. I just uploaded something I made by translating my current feeling (a bit too emotional, I know) into forms and colors:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/00-be n-00/stargrid

I also have made something by translating music into art, bonus points if you are a synesthete and you can guess what genre of music:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/00-be n-00/sycret

A) I don't think it works like that. A piece of music doesnt translate into a visual picture the same way for all synesthetes, and even if it was roughly the same, it wouldn't be similar enough to distill the genre from it.
B) Poeple have been interpreting sound/music in flat art since Kandinsky (and probably before him). Although Kandinsky based his paintings on an idea of a form of general synesthesia he thought to be existant in every human being, many artists have tried to reflect music in their paintings even if they weren't synesthetes themselves. How do you reckon your work, being an actual synesthete, differs from those other attempts?

How about you all? Did you know about synesthesia? Are you a synesthete? Did you just find out about that? Have you used it in your artwork, either accidentally or on purpose?

I have a (common) mild form of synesthesia where I associate numbers with colors. Can't really do it intentionally, but occasionally when rolling a die I will say "blue" instead of "four".


NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Synesthesia 2011-06-29 13:29:42 Reply

At 6/29/11 01:19 PM, J-qb wrote: I have a (common) mild form of synesthesia where I associate numbers with colors. Can't really do it intentionally, but occasionally when rolling a die I will say "blue" instead of "four".

That's not syntheseizure, you're just a pleb.


BBS Signature
00-BEN-00
00-BEN-00
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Synesthesia 2011-06-29 13:40:25 Reply

At 6/29/11 01:19 PM, J-qb wrote: A) I don't think it works like that. A piece of music doesnt translate into a visual picture the same way for all synesthetes, and even if it was roughly the same, it wouldn't be similar enough to distill the genre from it.
B) Poeple have been interpreting sound/music in flat art since Kandinsky (and probably before him). Although Kandinsky based his paintings on an idea of a form of general synesthesia he thought to be existant in every human being, many artists have tried to reflect music in their paintings even if they weren't synesthetes themselves. How do you reckon your work, being an actual synesthete, differs from those other attempts?

A: It's a very specific genre, and I used colors I thought to be the most likely an other synesthete would see when listening too this genre of music. To make it a bit easier I roughly blended in some not-so-abstract characters that are associated with the music, but I've hidden it enough so you can only see it if you were actually thinking it could be that genre. There's also a big chance you don't know that music by the way..
B: Actually a lot of people have at least a slight form of synesthesia, mostly without knowing it. It's also hard for a synesthete to imagine that there are people that cannot see what they see, so maybe that's why Kandinsky might have thought everyone could do it. My art is different from those many attempts, since those most often are music -> image, and are probably inspired by more than just the music. I have more types of synesthesia, of which I can use most of them in my art. I could for example easily make something based upon the smell of someone's sandwich. Synesthesia is automatic, I don't need to do much for it.


to Ben or not to Ben
YouTube
Wordpress Blog

BBS Signature
VividGrim
VividGrim
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Synesthesia 2011-06-30 12:57:44 Reply

At 6/29/11 01:19 PM, J-qb wrote: I have a (common) mild form of synesthesia where I associate numbers with colors. Can't really do it intentionally, but occasionally when rolling a die I will say "blue" instead of "four".

Haha, that happens to me too! Also, when I see letters/numbers that aren't black(a neutral colour) or the grapheme's corresponding colour, I get a sharp pang of "wrongness".

Anyway, to OP: the picture Sycret is confusing. What's with all the colours? Personally, when I listen to music there's a predominant colour and maybe one or two secondary colours, and some differing values of those colours. But Sycret is all over the place. The plasticy feel and the neon makes me think pop with a bit of techno, but the black and deep blue speaks more of alternative rock/Breaking Benjamin sort of music. The yellow could be really high pitch music or gospel... and I don't think I've ever heard green music. So, I give up. What's the freaking genre?

00-BEN-00
00-BEN-00
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Synesthesia 2011-06-30 15:00:36 Reply

At 6/30/11 12:57 PM, VividGrim wrote: Anyway, to OP: the picture Sycret is confusing. What's with all the colours? Personally, when I listen to music there's a predominant colour and maybe one or two secondary colours, and some differing values of those colours. But Sycret is all over the place. The plasticy feel and the neon makes me think pop with a bit of techno, but the black and deep blue speaks more of alternative rock/Breaking Benjamin sort of music. The yellow could be really high pitch music or gospel... and I don't think I've ever heard green music. So, I give up. What's the freaking genre?

Oh, I should note that the colour black is 'my nothing'. Synesthetes have their own 'nothing', which means than everything else is projected onto this. It's most often either black or white, but I do know someone that cannot describe it with a color, he says it's simply transparent.
This means you shouldn't pay too much attention to the background, the genre is actually quite 'empty', though the almost empty space has some noise.


to Ben or not to Ben
YouTube
Wordpress Blog

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Member since: Jun. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Synesthesia 2011-06-30 18:38:10 Reply

Sounds like a load of sophistry if you ask me.
Just looks like a bunch of stuff you spent three hours photoshopping.
But that's just my two cents.
As you can see by the numerous replies, people often associate things with other things. I doubt it needed a medical term. Crazy world we live in.


BBS Signature
00-BEN-00
00-BEN-00
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Synesthesia 2011-07-01 12:56:31 Reply

At 6/30/11 06:38 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: Just looks like a bunch of stuff you spent three hours photoshopping.

Actually it took about the length of 3 songs.. which were added 10 minutes and 36 seconds. Of course I kept on improving it a bit, but that didn't take more than a minute 0-o


to Ben or not to Ben
YouTube
Wordpress Blog

BBS Signature
Breaktroll
Breaktroll
  • Member since: Apr. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to Synesthesia 2011-07-03 07:06:19 Reply

At 6/29/11 01:19 PM, J-qb wrote:
I have a (common) mild form of synesthesia where I associate numbers with colors. Can't really do it intentionally, but occasionally when rolling a die I will say "blue" instead of "four".

Blue = 4? C'mon man Blue is definitely 5, and O. just like Red is 6 and A.
Everybody knows that. :P

As for the genre.. is it.. Goa-Techno? I mean lookit all the purty colours!


Try not being a bitch for once, huh?

BBS Signature
00-BEN-00
00-BEN-00
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Synesthesia 2011-07-04 15:10:38 Reply

At 7/3/11 07:06 AM, Breaktroll wrote:
Blue = 4? C'mon man Blue is definitely 5, and O. just like Red is 6 and A.
Everybody knows that. :P

It's different for everyone, here are my first 10 numbers -> colors:
1: grey
2: yellow
3: light green
4: dark green
5: light red
6: light brown
7: dark blue
8: light orange
9: dark brown
10: dark blue (even darker than 7, going towards black)

At 7/3/11 07:06 AM, Breaktroll wrote:
As for the genre.. is it.. Goa-Techno? I mean lookit all the purty colours!

Nope, but getting closer.. a bit..


to Ben or not to Ben
YouTube
Wordpress Blog

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to Synesthesia 2011-07-04 16:19:31 Reply

Guys, guys, guys.

It's obviously new wave jazz.


every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
00-BEN-00
00-BEN-00
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Synesthesia 2011-07-06 18:10:16 Reply

At 7/4/11 04:19 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: Guys, guys, guys.

It's obviously new wave jazz.

nope.

Actually it´s a very specific genre, and a song in this genre most often has another genre next to it. (Like this genre + pop or this genre + rock)

I could give a small hint.. but I guess you simply don't know the genre..


to Ben or not to Ben
YouTube
Wordpress Blog

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Synesthesia 2011-07-06 21:39:04 Reply

At 7/6/11 06:10 PM, 00-BEN-00 wrote: Actually it´s a very specific genre, and a song in this genre most often has another genre next to it. (Like this genre + pop or this genre + rock)

Polka.


Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature