New Topic Respond to this Topic
masheenH3ad
masheenH3ad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
How to get Huge Drum Sounds 2011-06-28 09:51:43 Reply

I'd been experimenting a lot on how to have a huge sounding drums like you hear in Symphonic Music. I want it to sound huge without overpowering other sections such as strings and woodwinds.

Is there anyway on how to do it? To make sound awesome? Thanks!

Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to How to get Huge Drum Sounds 2011-06-28 12:22:06 Reply

At 6/28/11 09:51 AM, masheenH3ad wrote: I'd been experimenting a lot on how to have a huge sounding drums like you hear in Symphonic Music. I want it to sound huge without overpowering other sections such as strings and woodwinds.

Is there anyway on how to do it? To make sound awesome? Thanks!

There are several ways to do this: First you'll need some good drum samples of Timpani and Kettle Drums for symphonic drums. I'm sure you can find several free ones, or you can check these out if you're willing to pay a lot of money to buy them.

Once you've got the samples, you can try layering them to get a larger more dynamic sound. Reverb and EQing also help here to perfect the noise into the sound you need. Other than that, you can also try backing the drums up with strings and other symphonic instruments.

I'm not trying to showcase my stuff or anything, but the below piece has some pretty decent drums and should give u and idea of how to play them and stuff:

• ECHO - Inexorable
    ECHO - Inexorable by Echo

Click to listen.

Score
    4.36 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

This one also has the same type of drums, but used in a different scenario to a different effect:

• ECHO - Goddess
    ECHO - Goddess by Echo

Click to listen.

Score
    4.35 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

masheenH3ad
masheenH3ad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to How to get Huge Drum Sounds 2011-06-29 11:16:44 Reply

Very nice sounds!

Anyhow by saying layering what do you mean? Is it combining two tracks of Drums to get an effect?

Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to How to get Huge Drum Sounds 2011-06-29 11:47:03 Reply

At 6/29/11 11:16 AM, masheenH3ad wrote: Very nice sounds!

Anyhow by saying layering what do you mean? Is it combining two tracks of Drums to get an effect?

Different drums have different sounds which, in most cases, sound weak. When you layer them, ie have them play something on the same beat, you get the two sounds intermixed, thus creating a more varied and powerful noise. You can do this with more than 2 drums of course, just don't overdo the amount of drums you layer since that could make the noise annoying to listen to ;)

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to How to get Huge Drum Sounds 2011-06-29 17:47:21 Reply

It's common to take aspects of samples and use those and discard the rest.

So I might like the crack of a snare but find it abit boxy, so I'll highpass that and add a snare with a nice body to it and I might lowpass that or have a slow gate so that I don't get its transient. You actually like every aspect of both and keep them all, but it's something to consider in all elements of sound creation. A high rate chorus might add that sort of "almost self oscilating" low end and instead of throwing it out because it adds mud you can hipass it and keep the sound you wanted from it.

HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to How to get Huge Drum Sounds 2011-06-30 00:59:29 Reply

Compress the shit out of them and add a bit of reverb.

This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to How to get Huge Drum Sounds 2011-06-30 09:31:18 Reply

Yeah. Use reverb and also experiment with some Compression and EQ. This will help.
EQ FREQUENCY CHART