00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Background Art, Constructive Wanted

2,498 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hiya, My name is Greg. I am a programmer in AS2 online and artist on Pencil and Paper. I do not have a tablet so my art from it can't transfer over. I use a mouse and I started with something simple. Backgrounds. I did a few pieces in flash And I know they are crap but please tell what needs improvement :P. Read what is next to links. I will upload 2 examples.

Kitchen Outline: This is a kitchen outline I did for an animation I never finished. All done using line tool. Perspective right? What looks wrong?

Platforms:These are some platforms, trees and walls I did for a mini-game. Would you play a game with graphics like this? If so, what kind of game?

BBS Signature

Response to Background Art, Constructive Wanted 2011-06-24 05:25:45

Programming, good. Well, I'll try to help out a bit here. Namely by ripping one thing apart, but hey.

Before I go into this, from what I can tell, the second thing has nothing seriously wrong with it due to its simplicity. Its style is such that not very much can be ascertained from it. I would say to change the tree trunks from squares to more organic shaping.

Anyhow,

At 6/24/11 05:01 AM, Kibester wrote:
Kitchen Outline: This is a kitchen outline I did for an animation I never finished. All done using line tool. Perspective right? What looks wrong?

I'm guessing this is older.

First off, the window is off. As illustrated, this is due to the lines not matching up with its lower counterparts. The lower two appear to follow each other appropriately, but the top one does not. This gives the appearance of an extremely unusually shaped window.

The sun in the picture disturbs me. As far as I know, there is a perfectly good circle tool in flash. Use that; don't try to be fancy with line curves.

The overhang on the kitchen counter is unusual if not portrayed wrong. I have never seen a counter with overhang that exists solely on the flanks. There is no indication of any of the counter hanging over the structure in any other part of the furnishing.

The doors under the kitchen sink are built as if they are two separate compartments, rather than one large space like every kitchen sink I've seen is. The handles should be close to each other to facilitate their opening away from the center, so there is one space, not as if the hinge is in the middle.

Lastly, the large boxy object in the middle of the room looks weird. I cannot exactly put my finger on why, but I think it has something to do with its height compared to everything else.

Hope that helped slightly.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Background Art, Constructive Wanted 2011-06-24 05:27:55

hi, I've Graphic Design knowledge. I make designs in illustrator... If you ned help then you can pm me.

Response to Background Art, Constructive Wanted 2011-06-24 05:55:25

At 6/24/11 05:25 AM, Felis wrote: Lastly, the large boxy object in the middle of the room looks weird. I cannot exactly put my finger on why, but I think it has something to do with its height compared to everything else.

It's pretty easy; the perspective is off by a mile. OP, if you want to draw these kind of things, always start out with a perspective point. There's tonsof examplesout there, I don't even need to draw it or explain it in great detail, I can just take one drawing from Google to make you understand.

BBS Signature

Response to Background Art, Constructive Wanted 2011-06-24 06:09:23

At 6/24/11 05:27 AM, vraadoo wrote: hi, I've Graphic Design knowledge. I make designs in illustrator... If you ned help then you can pm me.

'Course he needs help, he said so in the opening post.
Post your advice in the thread, so that other people can benefit.

I'll agree with what Test said, it looks odd because all the objects have different perspectives. Provided you can identify where you want the vanishing point to be, you'll have no problem moving and correcting the lines.

This Flash tutorial is pretty useful for one point perspective:

BBS Signature

Response to Background Art, Constructive Wanted 2011-06-24 10:14:07

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips. I will try to redo it later using what you guys have taught me, including the Vanishing Points and perspective.

BBS Signature