Be a Supporter!

Consumers ruin gaming.

  • 942 Views
  • 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-23 22:59:29 Reply

So this is a concept I've been toying with and I'm sure many agree and it's that the consumers(gamers) are slowly but surely helping to ruin games and their futures.

There are many different ways that gamers are doing this, from buying broken games with inexcusable glitches to bitching and moaning because a company is trying to expand or buying the same junk over and over again. I think it's quite saddening to see that the very ones who benefit from games are the very same ones that are ruining them.

Look at Fallout: New Vegas (being the most recent one I can think of), when that game was released it was incredibly buggy, some people couldn't even play their game let alone enjoy it(although some managed to see through the bugs) and this is looking to be a more and more of a common practice. More games are being shipped out with inexcusable or game breaking bugs and we the consumers just eat it up.

Or you have franchises that offer to little to no change from a previous installment and charge full price for the sequel, and because a majority of people don't stop buying into this garbage this practice continues.

Then you have companies trying to change things up or expand their horizons, only to have fans bitch and moan because it's not what they want(Half-life ep. 3 comes to mind or inFamous 2 having to change Cole back to look more like the original).

Sure the consumers aren't the only ones to blame, companies hold some of this blame by relying to much on the ability to patch a game or for only seeking to gain more profit, but at it's heart consumers are the biggest cause of these ever growing problems.

So Thoughts

Tl;Dr get a fucking attention span.


BBS Signature
Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-23 23:16:30 Reply

At 6/23/11 10:59 PM, zooos wrote: Or you have franchises that offer to little to no change from a previous installment and charge full price for the sequel, and because a majority of people don't stop buying into this garbage this practice continues.

More of the same isn't a bad thing if the same needs no improvement or change whatsoever. This is why the God of War sequels are better than the original. This is why Super Mario Galaxy 2 is twice as good as Galaxy 1.

inFamous 2 having to change Cole back to look more like the original).

That's different. Cole was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT character when inFamous 2's first trailer came out. New clothes, new non-grouchy action-hero voice, new face, new hair, EVERYTHING was different and they had the balls to make him the same character. He might as well have had a new name too. I'm fine with their being a new voice or a new outfit, but this was just too much. That was a DAMN good reason to "bitch and moan".

zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 01:48:17 Reply

At 6/23/11 11:16 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: More of the same isn't a bad thing if the same needs no improvement or change whatsoever. This is why the God of War sequels are better than the original. This is why Super Mario Galaxy 2 is twice as good as Galaxy 1.

I agree to a point but I still think it's a problem. Some companies rely to much on the same formula and never take chances, never innovate, and overall just produce the same game with a new name and some bells and whistles here and there(Madden is a big one). Even then some companies have the balls try to sell it at full price when it is no where near the value they try to market it as.

That's different. Cole was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT character when inFamous 2's first trailer came out. New clothes, new non-grouchy action-hero voice, new face, new hair, EVERYTHING was different and they had the balls to make him the same character. He might as well have had a new name too. I'm fine with their being a new voice or a new outfit, but this was just too much. That was a DAMN good reason to "bitch and moan".

It's not different, at least in my opinion. I understand why people were mad but to bitch and moan to get the company to change it back is ridiculous. I mean us consumers are restricting what companies do in some ways and restricting their ability to expand and try different concepts, because they are worried they won't make money for trivial shit such as how Cole looks.

Maybe they had a reason for redesigning him, maybe his redesign would of fit better into the new game they created, or hell maybe the first Cole wasn't exactly how they wanted it. Instead of giving it a chance people just shot the idea down. Look at the new Dante from Devil May Cry, same damn thing, some people won't even give it a chance.

We prohibit companies from taking chances, trying new things, and developing their characters/stories/etc. These are their babies and while we should have some input being the consumer, we shouldn't have as much as we do.


BBS Signature
Death
Death
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 02:25:27 Reply

shit like that is why I stopped buying triple A titles a while ago. market's not gonna get any better if we keep feedin 'em for sellin us shit.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 02:53:20 Reply

At 6/24/11 01:48 AM, zooos wrote: We prohibit companies from taking chances, trying new things, and developing their characters/stories/etc. These are their babies and while we should have some input being the consumer, we shouldn't have as much as we do.

So, ok, think for a second. Say Mario never existed until 2011. A trailer comes out for Super Mario Brothers (HD) and Mario looks like the Mario we know today. The game is amazing and grows a huge fanbase. Then, a trailer for Mario Brothers 2 comes out, and Mario now looks like Luigi but he's still called Mario. This isn't character development or a new concept, this is sheer stupidity and it makes no goddamn sense. Sure, in the end you can say the way the character looks is trivial, but you MUST at least ATTEMPT to make it look like the original design because otherwise you're going to confuse people and you might as well give him another name entirely.

vraadoo
vraadoo
  • Member since: Jun. 21, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 05:17:14 Reply

Browse through these ancient Ruin board game rules and instructions to help you get started on your journey into the center of Mayan ruins

Elfer
Elfer
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 07:08:06 Reply

This is basically true of everything, though.

If you don't want companies to release buggy games, stop buying from companies that habitually release things before they're ready. Software is incredibly deadline-driven, so they'll release as soon as they hit the minimum acceptable level of reliability, which normalizes poor quality control and drives the standard down.

I forget who said it, but it's still great: "If software were planes, trains, or automobiles, we'd all be dead"

zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 16:31:42 Reply

At 6/24/11 02:53 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Post

Again I get where your coming from and that, but people didn't even give it a chance, they immediately shot it down. I've also seen the trailer and honestly he doesn't look that much different (besides the hair), at least nothing as noticeable as changing Mario into Luigi(mostly because of the color differences).


BBS Signature
kiljoy96
kiljoy96
  • Member since: Jul. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Musician
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 16:35:58 Reply

And we who care about gaming can do nothing about it but take our anger out on CoD fanboys.


SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 17:38:19 Reply

I'm pretty sure Activision was bribing journalists for Black Ops, though.
It was the worst game I've ever played and I've played some damn bad games back in the day...

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-24 17:40:42 Reply

At 6/24/11 05:38 PM, Wolfos wrote: I'm pretty sure Activision was bribing journalists for Black Ops, though.
It was the worst game I've ever played and I've played some damn bad games back in the day...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-o f-duty-black-ops
Critic score: 81
User score: 4.2

I'm 100% sure those journalists were bribed. Putting up with half the game like it's nothing "Oh, the singleplayer is terrible but it still deserves a 90!". A game can't deserve a 90 if the singleplayer is terrible. It's half the game.

Idocreating
Idocreating
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-06-25 02:56:44 Reply

At 6/24/11 05:40 PM, Wolfos wrote: I'm 100% sure those journalists were bribed. Putting up with half the game like it's nothing "Oh, the singleplayer is terrible but it still deserves a 90!". A game can't deserve a 90 if the singleplayer is terrible. It's half the game.

This is Call of Duty your talking about. Most of the consumers bought it for the multiplayer only.

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-10 14:56:33 Reply

At 6/23/11 11:14 PM, Travis wrote: With the way evolution has made the media, shitty games are getting good reviews although they are the SAME FUCKING GAME (I am looking at you IGN, you hipocritical fucks...).

First of all, it's their opinion that those games are good.

Second of all, who the fuck cares if every installment of a game isn't different from the previous installment? If the gameplay doesn't need any changing and is perfectly fine the way it is (eg. Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, etc.), then there's no reason to make the next installment different.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-10 23:23:35 Reply

At 6/24/11 01:48 AM, zooos wrote:
At 6/23/11 11:16 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
I agree to a point but I still think it's a problem. Some companies rely to much on the same formula and never take chances, never innovate, and overall just produce the same game with a new name and some bells and whistles here and there(Madden is a big one). Even then some companies have the balls try to sell it at full price when it is no where near the value they try to market it as.

You do realize that changing up too much of the formula of a certain game franchise could destroy the fanbase altogether, which means less people are going to buy the game. Taking chances on something that works could easily bite them in the ass more often than not, especially if they're a small developer, so that's generally why they don't take huge chances on said franchise. As the old saying goes, "you go with the one who brought you to the dance." if there's little to improve on from the prequel, it makes no logical sense to mess around with the formula.

It's not different, at least in my opinion. I understand why people were mad but to bitch and moan to get the company to change it back is ridiculous. I mean us consumers are restricting what companies do in some ways and restricting their ability to expand and try different concepts, because they are worried they won't make money for trivial shit such as how Cole looks.

I would agree with you somewhat, as I said before, messing with the original could have negative effects with the fanbase, which would turn off both fans and the average gamer. That said, It is rather stupid that they are complaining about Cole's new attire from the first one, I mean, if Sony expected to see some backlash over that, they would've put his original look for a DLC or something like that.

We prohibit companies from taking chances, trying new things, and developing their characters/stories/etc. These are their babies and while we should have some input being the consumer, we shouldn't have as much as we do.

Let's slow a little bit, because the irony in your statement is that people want to see game companies take chances and try new things, yet you say that we don't want that to happen. Plus, what do you want them do that would constitute taking chances? {i.e Activision making a RPG that isn't Warcraft related.} They're in the business of making games for profit, not for fun, and it just so happens that a lot of people enjoy playing said games. If something isn't broke or run it's course, then they're no reason why they should fix it.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
LucasJC
LucasJC
  • Member since: May. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-11 03:26:04 Reply

If you buy anything ever you are a consumer, so technically we are all ruining gaming. Even the OP.


"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-11 10:25:58 Reply

At 6/23/11 10:59 PM, zooos wrote: Then you have companies trying to change things up or expand their horizons, only to have fans bitch and moan because it's not what they want(Half-life ep. 3 comes to mind)

Nobody fucking knows anything about Episode 3 so I don't really get your point. If Valve had released any details I'm sure some people would complain but this isn't the case.

zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-11 16:28:37 Reply

At 7/11/11 10:25 AM, GiantDouche wrote:
At 6/23/11 10:59 PM, zooos wrote: Then you have companies trying to change things up or expand their horizons, only to have fans bitch and moan because it's not what they want(Half-life ep. 3 comes to mind)
Nobody fucking knows anything about Episode 3 so I don't really get your point. If Valve had released any details I'm sure some people would complain but this isn't the case.

What I meant was companies, like Valve, are trying to work on different IP's and concepts and fans complain about how EP3 hasn't come out yet.


BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-11 17:26:21 Reply

Modern gaming:

1. Developer approaches publisher with original IP.
2. "Why don't you make it Manshoot 5: The Bloodsplaterring instead?"
3. Developer is given a development time of 2 years to create Manshoot 5, 6 months of those devoted to creating on-disc DLC.
4. Publisher starts a year long multi-million dollar marketing campaign and starts bribing review sites (50% of the title's budget right there).
5. The spineless dumbfucks that are the majority of gamers buy into the hype.
5. Manshoot 5 is released with a 4 hour campaign for &60 to stellar reviews. It becomes the fastest selling video game of all time.
6. $10 DLC cosmetic items are released a week after the game's launch. Gamers buy it en masse and start entering buyer's remorse.
7. Someone complains about the game and is called a hipster.
8. Someone tries to discuss another, more thought provoking, original and mature game, and is called a hipster.
9. Developer goes on to work on Manshoot 6, to be released the following year, while other companies revive/reboot their IPs to go the Manshoot way.


Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
cool4345
cool4345
  • Member since: Feb. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-12 06:59:42 Reply

At 7/11/11 04:28 PM, zooos wrote:
At 7/11/11 10:25 AM, GiantDouche wrote:
At 6/23/11 10:59 PM, zooos wrote: Then you have companies trying to change things up or expand their horizons, only to have fans bitch and moan because it's not what they want(Half-life ep. 3 comes to mind)
Nobody fucking knows anything about Episode 3 so I don't really get your point. If Valve had released any details I'm sure some people would complain but this isn't the case.
What I meant was companies, like Valve, are trying to work on different IP's and concepts and fans complain about how EP3 hasn't come out yet.

i see fans complaining more about how valve has failed to release any of the aforementioned concept artwork- or even any information about the game at all to even say they're working on it- after a 4 year time span..


sig made by Willzyx ^^

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-12 08:02:47 Reply

At 7/12/11 06:59 AM, cool4345 wrote: i see fans complaining more about how valve has failed to release any of the aforementioned concept artwork- or even any information about the game at all to even say they're working on it- after a 4 year time span..

I don't really see what this matters, it's pretty much supports what I quoted, at least from my perspective.


BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-12 10:27:13 Reply

At 7/12/11 08:02 AM, zooos wrote:
At 7/12/11 06:59 AM, cool4345 wrote: i see fans complaining more about how valve has failed to release any of the aforementioned concept artwork- or even any information about the game at all to even say they're working on it- after a 4 year time span..
I don't really see what this matters, it's pretty much supports what I quoted, at least from my perspective.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but you have to understand when someone is making a sequel for the sake of it and when a sequel is actually needed. Valve ended Ep. 2 on a cliffhanger, and the whole point of the episodic games was that they would be cheaper, shorter and took less time to develop. It's been 4 years since Ep. 2 now, during which Valve created 2 new IPs, and sequels of the first kind I mentioned for both of them (we could've lived without Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 was just completely unnecessary).


Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-12 12:47:02 Reply

At 7/12/11 10:27 AM, idiot-monarch wrote: Normally, I'd agree with you, but you have to understand when someone is making a sequel for the sake of it and when a sequel is actually needed. Valve ended Ep. 2 on a cliffhanger, and the whole point of the episodic games was that they would be cheaper, shorter and took less time to develop. It's been 4 years since Ep. 2 now, during which Valve created 2 new IPs, and sequels of the first kind I mentioned for both of them (we could've lived without Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 was just completely unnecessary).

Don't get me wrong I completely understand why people are upset and I've been waiting for EP.3 as well, but (some) people are taking it too far in my opinion. We don't know what's going on with it, maybe shit came up, maybe they came up with so many ideas of how to continue the story they didn't want to restrict it to episodes and wanted to take on a completely new Half-Life.

I only included things like this as examples, some are more justified then others but when I wrote this these were the one's that I could think of at the time. I hope people are just picking at every example I give when more or less I'm trying to get people to see the bigger picture.


BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-12 13:21:32 Reply

At 7/12/11 12:47 PM, zooos wrote: I'm trying to get people to see the bigger picture.

Fair enough. It was a pretty bad example, though. Makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.


Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-12 14:12:12 Reply

At 7/12/11 01:21 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: Fair enough. It was a pretty bad example, though. Makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Well here I would disagree because it's really a matter of opinion in terms of it being a bad example. And I don't think one "bad" example should exempt what I've brought forth in this thread because even without that example I believe I made some very valid points to support my idea that consumers are ruining gaming.

And I don't try to come off as if I know everything, I live by the "true knowledge is knowing you know nothing".

But I do appreciate your opinion and thoughts.


BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-12 16:47:39 Reply

At 7/12/11 04:35 PM, CrypticPoptart wrote: Related comic.

Is that supposed to be ironic? Because I pretty much agree 100%.


Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-12 16:49:50 Reply

At 6/23/11 10:59 PM, zooos wrote: Or you have franchises that offer to little to no change from a previous installment and charge full price for the sequel, and because a majority of people don't stop buying into this garbage this practice continues.

I don't see why people get mad at games not changing enough. New levels, plot, graphics, and music is enough of a change. We don't need game companies changing a game's core formula to please a couple of guys who would probably hate the game no matter what they did to it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.


BBS Signature
Dapper
Dapper
  • Member since: May. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Animator
Response to Consumers ruin gaming. 2011-07-14 18:21:24 Reply

I just wish people wouldn't only take the opinions from some guys at IGN, Gamespot or any of the huge VG sites who get paid to review games.


YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYE SYESYESYESY ESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYE SYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

BBS Signature