New Topic Respond to this Topic
Laughingbox
Laughingbox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 23rd, 2011 @ 10:41 PM Reply

Yes, you heard right. For all you people that have Steam but don't have Team Fortress 2, it's now FREE. Seriously, it's free to download and free to play. Steam's been going on a roll with free to play games, and this is pretty much the greatest game to become free, ever. It became free about 15 minutes ago.

Seriously, download it.

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

xports
xports
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:06 PM Reply

Mine only says "Free to play this week."

Am I missing something?

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature
TNT
TNT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:08 PM Reply

At 6/23/11 11:06 PM, xports wrote: Mine only says "Free to play this week."

Am I missing something?

This video said it is free FOREVER!

Latest song cover: Rock Is Dead.
Steam ID: echoes83 (Tyler from Texas)

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:19 PM Reply

I thought it was a cartoon.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

B4574RD
B4574RD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:34 PM Reply

Yeah, be a F2Per if you're willing to ruin the game.

strider-dan
strider-dan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 6/23/11 11:34 PM, B4574RD wrote: Yeah, be a F2Per if you're willing to ruin the game.

Yes, sir!

explodingbunnies
explodingbunnies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:53 PM Reply

Fuck no. This is almost game-crushingly bad news. Influx of noobs, griefers, 12 year olds, obnoxious fucks, and overall game ruining nuisances. I really hope people who payed for the game get some sort of special thing like servers only for people who bought the game.

The community just went from a bunch of jackasses to a pile of flaming, smelly, disgusting, diarrhea filled black void.

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.
PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:57 PM Reply

At 6/23/11 11:53 PM, explodingbunnies wrote: The community just went from a bunch of jackasses to a pile of flaming, smelly, disgusting, diarrhea filled black void.

Pretty much. Too bad us elitists aren't going to stop the tide.

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 01:02 AM Reply

Sorry if I'm going to ruin your fun guys.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 01:40 AM Reply

Downloadin'

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 02:32 AM Reply

I hear a lot of people worried about hackers now that it's F2P.

It's still VAC.
There might be an increase in griefers, but let's face it.. The game hardly cost much money to begin with in the first place. Griefers will get bored of it and go back to Gmod.

Yeah, whatever.

Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 02:52 AM Reply

I guess that I can now make a bunch of alt accounts and get past the drop limit. :D

DrClay
DrClay
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 03:13 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 02:32 AM, EpicFail wrote: There might be an increase in griefers.

You honestly think most griefers pay for the game? A lot of them just illegally download it, which explains why most of the videos might contain missing textures.

TF2 Crew I User Icon Makers Club I Source Filmmaker Crew I
NEWGROUNDS TF2 Server: 192.223.24.28

BBS Signature
zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 03:19 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 03:13 AM, DrClay wrote:
At 6/24/11 02:32 AM, EpicFail wrote: There might be an increase in griefers.
You honestly think most griefers pay for the game? A lot of them just illegally download it, which explains why most of the videos might contain missing textures.

Illegal copies would rarely if ever make it into a server(especially ValvE games, don't believe me visit a torrent site and see how many people want to know how to get online and find there isn't a way). You'd be surprised to see how many griefers actually pay for the game just to piss people off. Hell there are plenty of hackers who will buy a game, get banned, and buy the same game under a new account just to continue.

BBS Signature
Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 03:22 AM Reply

At 6/23/11 11:53 PM, explodingbunnies wrote: Influx of noobs,

OH GOD, NEW PLAYERS. Who the fuck cares? Does everybody need to have played this game since 07?

griefers,

As stated, they're already here.

12 year olds,

TF2 isn't dark, gritty, or realistic enough for 12-year-olds to be interested in.

obnoxious fucks,

Basically the TF2 community right now. And you.

But I will agree with you that people who paid for this, including me, WILL be expecting compensation. And NOT in the form of a hat.

zooos
zooos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 03:27 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 03:22 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Post

This post has a lot of truth. Although these jackasses everyone talks about can easily be fixed by muting incoming voice. Seriously every time I've played I've never met anyone I would consider an asshole.

Also, I don't think any body who bought the game deserves compensation unless they bought the game within the last month or two. I bought the game a year or two ago and this game is by far the most updated game I've ever played and I fully got my money's worth.

BBS Signature
DrClay
DrClay
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 03:30 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 03:22 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: But I will agree with you that people who paid for this, including me, WILL be expecting compensation. And NOT in the form of a hat.

Umm, people paid for Portal and that became free. Did that create an uproar?
I paid for TF2 as well, and while I will be hoping for a compensation or whatever, I'm not going to run around and demand it like hell. Valve is a good company and gave me Portal for free.

Getting mad about this is kind of getting mad about Nintendo releasing the 3DS after releasing the DSI only a few months before.

TF2 Crew I User Icon Makers Club I Source Filmmaker Crew I
NEWGROUNDS TF2 Server: 192.223.24.28

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 03:48 AM Reply

At 6/23/11 11:53 PM, explodingbunnies wrote: Fuck no. This is almost game-crushingly bad news. Influx of noobs, griefers, 12 year olds, obnoxious fucks, and overall game ruining nuisances. I really hope people who payed for the game get some sort of special thing like servers only for people who bought the game.

> Implying the TF2 community wasn't already like this to begin with.

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC
Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature
Viri
Viri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 06:16 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 03:30 AM, DrClay wrote: Umm, people paid for Portal and that became free. Did that create an uproar?
I paid for TF2 as well, and while I will be hoping for a compensation or whatever, I'm not going to run around and demand it like hell. Valve is a good company and gave me Portal for free.

Getting mad about this is kind of getting mad about Nintendo releasing the 3DS after releasing the DSI only a few months before.

Pretty much this, I'm not sure why everyone thinks they deserve compensation. Odds are almost everyone who bought TF2 either got it from a sale, or from the Orange Box, which was basically for free anyway. The TF2 community is already shit, so that's not really going to change at all.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]
Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 07:00 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 03:22 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: But I will agree with you that people who paid for this, including me, WILL be expecting compensation. And NOT in the form of a hat.

We have a badge. I doubt we'll get anything else.

BBS Signature
vai90
vai90
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 07:53 AM Reply

Anyone who has bought the game or buys the retail version now gets a premium account instead of the free account that new users will have.

Free account = 50 slots in backpack
Premium account = 300 slots in backpack (upgradable to 1000)

With a free account you can also not trade items and you can't gift items to other players (only receive).
You don't have access to all blueprints and premium members will get rare & cosmetic items.

You can upgrade from a free account to a premium account by buying anything in the Mann Co. store.

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 08:02 AM Reply

You guys can add me on steam by the way, I played for a bit over an hour last night and am decent at being a sniper, although not too sure what I like the most so far. My Steam ID is epicfail_

Yeah, whatever.

Balazeal
Balazeal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 08:28 AM Reply

Wait free...forever? Huh. I could have sworn this was only going to be a weekly promo.

Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 08:47 AM Reply

Wow, you PC gamers are an odd bunch judging by the above posts. I'm staying well clear.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Greenfrost6
Greenfrost6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 09:37 AM Reply

I welcome new TF2 players with open arms. For them, they get to experience a great game. For me, I get more people to play with, which means more kills. At the moment, Valve have promised to keep exploiting and hacking to a minimum with VAC, and I trust them with that.

Besides, you have to actually buy something from their store to play the game to it's full potential, and that includes using cosmetic items.

The only people who are complaining about this update is /v/. Nothing bad has happened, and nothing potentially bad can happen either. As said before, this game won't be filled with 12 year olds for one reason: It's not a 'realistic' modern warfare shooter. And thanks to VAC so far, I've only seen 1 hacker in my whole 1200 hours of playing.

This update won't change anything. People are just assuming that now it's free the entire game is going to go to shit. Grow up.

And stay away from /v/.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 09:40 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 09:37 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote: The only people who are complaining about this update is /v/.

No surprise there. Also, this doesn't bother me too much anyway, and I don't really care if I receive compensation or not. I've got my Grizzled Veteran badge to show that I've been playing a while anyway, and my friend was interested in buying this a few days ago and now he's pretty damn happy Valve have made it a FTP game.

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 09:41 AM Reply

someone make a NGS clan because I want to join it but cant be assed to make it.

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 09:44 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 09:41 AM, MrPercie wrote: someone make a NGS clan because I want to join it but cant be assed to make it.

Hmmm... I'm too lazy as well but I'm a good sniper I'll shoot heads off in the clan yeah.

Yeah, whatever.

Greenfrost6
Greenfrost6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 09:49 AM Reply

Well, we're not a clan, but we do love talk about TF2 here.

I don't think a clan is really nessesary or would even be practical for Newgrounds in general. Simply because we are all from different corners of the world. For a FPS that requires a good latency between players, a clan just seems a bit impractical in my opinion. But do feel free to join in the conversation in the TF2 Crew.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to TF2 - Free to Play Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 10:25 AM Reply

Hahaha, I was always tempted to make a steam account and play team fortress now I definitely will, I will be one of thousands of "noobs" coming to play and spoil the regulars fun. Suck it faggots, I'm just gonna spam the most over powered class or soldier or whatever the fuck you do in this game and I'm gonna love it.

BBS Signature