New Topic Respond to this Topic
DartEnergy
DartEnergy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
To all wanting good software... Jun. 11th, 2011 @ 08:02 PM Reply

I'm not an expert in this field, but I've certainly used alot of different software's to be able to recommend at least a few to the people who continuously ask which software's are good to create songs.

This is all from my experience, so if you don't agree, tough luck, I'm only putting fourth my ideas.

- I recommend having a good synth player / an instrument to record with
- Different Software's Include:
- Cubase Studio 4
- Cubase Studio 5 Pro
- Studio ONE
- Cebiellus
- If your lucky enough to have a Mac: Logic Express Pro 10
- Pro Tools LE

All of these software's work great, and all have alot of similarities and differences. If your looking for something simple that's easy to use to get you started, I recommend Cubase as the interface is rather plain and simple, However don't expect 'Mozart', 'Iron Maiden' or 'Dr Dre' quality tracks using this!
Next, for the more talented or already slightly experienced, either logic express, an apple made product, or pro tools LE are great. Slightly more advanced and confusing, but work very very well, and can easily get studio quality tracks if you have the right equipment.

~ Dart Energy ~ Making Shit Flash's Since 2011 ~

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 11th, 2011 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 6/11/11 08:02 PM, DartEnergy wrote: All of these software's work great, and all have alot of similarities and differences. If your looking for something simple that's easy to use to get you started, I recommend Cubase as the interface is rather plain and simple, However don't expect 'Mozart', 'Iron Maiden' or 'Dr Dre' quality tracks using this!

I'm sorry but this is just plain wrong. Do you realize Hans Zimmer runs a Cubase workstation? And his tracks are some of the highest quality audio production you'll hear out there, and it's certainly not his software that does all the work...

I could name plenty more but Cubase is on the same level as all this other software, even FL Studio which has been looked down upon for a long time is capable of producing world-class quality audio (also with an impressive roster of artists behind it).

Next, for the more talented or already slightly experienced, either logic express, an apple made product, or pro tools LE are great. Slightly more advanced and confusing, but work very very well, and can easily get studio quality tracks if you have the right equipment.

This is weird too because Logic is probably the MOST user-friendly in my opinion, moreso than Cubase. Especially since the new versions are all colorful with inspiration from Garageband design. Pro Tools happens to be an industry standard because of its history with DSP integration and whatnot, but even if some find it less user-friendly than other software, that doesn't magically mean it's "better" in some vague unquantifiable way.

Anyway just want to make sure no one reading your post is misled - nothing against you.

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 11th, 2011 @ 11:30 PM Reply

I use FL Studio, and it makes me happy

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 11th, 2011 @ 11:40 PM Reply

Anyone who thinks Pro Tools is required to make professional sounding tracks is an idiot. The IDE means nothing.

dietsnapple135
dietsnapple135
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 11th, 2011 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 6/11/11 08:48 PM, NickPerrin wrote:
At 6/11/11 08:02 PM, DartEnergy wrote: All of these software's work great, and all have alot of similarities and differences. If your looking for something simple that's easy to use to get you started, I recommend Cubase as the interface is rather plain and simple, However don't expect 'Mozart', 'Iron Maiden' or 'Dr Dre' quality tracks using this!
I'm sorry but this is just plain wrong. Do you realize Hans Zimmer runs a Cubase workstation? And his tracks are some of the highest quality audio production you'll hear out there, and it's certainly not his software that does all the work...

Its not even that Cubase is just as good. Cubase is considered the best, most well-rounded DAW there is. Saying Cubase isn't on the top level of audio quality is an absolute joke.

Informant
Informant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 01:30 AM Reply

I have cubase 4.
No idea how to use it for what I want to do.
Had it for ages, and never really learned what it can do.
I tried watching some random tutorials on youtube, but most of them are shitty, or talk about recording.
Woe is my life.
:|

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 02:06 AM Reply

It's not solely about the name of the program, or what software, samples and/or VSTs have, it's how you use them. Sure, high-end products help, but knowing how to use simpler stuff to your advantage really helps in the long run.

I've been running on FL Studio 9 Fruityloops Edition for 5 years, been using (and abusing) 3xOSC and WASP XT and the FL default effects since then. Only things I have really used outside of FL Studio's package largely are the Superdrums 8000 sample CD and dBlue Glitch.

Just make due with what you have and reap the benefits of mastering simple stuff and then move on if you wish to more difficult stuff. It's what I did.

HlyHndGrnade
HlyHndGrnade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 12:39 PM Reply

So Cubase is definitely a good place to start then I'm guessing. I don't have a problem getting any software, but I'm a beginner to this so please fill me in of what you think would be the best to start off with.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 01:48 PM Reply

FL studio is easier to start with than Cubase IMO. The interface for FL is incredibly easy to pick up and understand and can give you an end result just as good as any other program (Don't let the haters tell you otherwise). However do whatever you feel works for you. It's the worker not the tool.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 01:58 PM Reply

I'm working with FL Studio 10 XXL, so far best interface for me. Got rid of that stupid pattern selector at the bottom.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
HlyHndGrnade
HlyHndGrnade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 02:39 PM Reply

Alright, I guess I'll just experiment and figure out what works best for me. Seems easy enough.

Iceyninja
Iceyninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 03:32 PM Reply

I use audacity, its free, and easy to use. Its also got a list of effects and stuff. It may not be the best quality but it does the job.

it's literally raining all of the fucks i give rn

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 6/12/11 03:32 PM, Iceyninja wrote: I use audacity, its free, and easy to use. Its also got a list of effects and stuff. It may not be the best quality but it does the job.

Except it doesn't...It doesn't have MIDI; it isn't a DAW. So no, it really doesn't do the job of being a full mixing/production workstation, but sure, Audacity is awesome for just recording stuff!

BluGil
BluGil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 05:43 PM Reply

Guyz guyz guyz. How could the DAW possibly matter that much? There's a lot of options, but really if your using VSTi's and VST's, the DAW is moreso just a workbench for your ideas. Use whatever you feel most comfortable with.

My only advice is to steer clear of oversimplified DAW's that kinda do half the work for you, like that one Dub Turbo thing. haha

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 12th, 2011 @ 11:44 PM Reply

- Cebiellus

LOL, I think you rather meant Sibelius?

Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 13th, 2011 @ 05:35 AM Reply

At 6/12/11 05:27 PM, PSvils wrote: Except it doesn't...It doesn't have MIDI; it isn't a DAW. So no, it really doesn't do the job of being a full mixing/production workstation, but sure, Audacity is awesome for just recording stuff

Actually... it does.

Anyways, its not the software that does the trick, its you, YOU are the one making them sweet beats, not the software, YOU are the one writing the symphony, not the software.
In the right hand a so called "Shit" software might just be better then Logic, Cubase or even ProTools for that person.

Now, how about we stop the fighting and start changing the face of music FOREVER?!

(Yeah, i know thats never going to happen here @ NG)

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 13th, 2011 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 6/13/11 05:35 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote:
At 6/12/11 05:27 PM, PSvils wrote: Except it doesn't...It doesn't have MIDI; it isn't a DAW. So no, it really doesn't do the job of being a full mixing/production workstation, but sure, Audacity is awesome for just recording stuff
Actually... it does.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehe lp-1.2/track_midi.htm
That's as much MIDI support as it has from what I could tell.

While I do agree that usually it's not the software, but the person who uses it, that's only true to a certain extent. There's a reason professional producers don't produce using Audacity, or GarageBand, or the Windows Audio Recorder. While it's technically possible to do everything with those tools, realistically speaking it becomes extremely difficult.

Meh.

heur
heur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 13th, 2011 @ 02:00 PM Reply

No love for Propellerhead Reason?

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 13th, 2011 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 6/13/11 02:00 PM, heur wrote: No love for Propellerhead Reason?

That was one of the first DAW's I used, was great, but VST expansion is more fun that reason patches.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 13th, 2011 @ 06:13 PM Reply

There's not really any 'good' software. If you're untalented, no amount of money you throw at sequencers and DAW's is going to make you any better.

Here's my take based on my experience working with some different DAWs:

- Garageband: if you own a Mac, it should have come pre-loaded with Garageband. It's not the greatest software in the world but in the hands of a talented composer, it can be just as good as professional-grade DAW's.

- Logic Pro: fully integrated midi support, tons of pre-sets and synths that you can mess around with to create custom sounds, and it comes with a lot of effects and plug-ins. It's also really easy to use any virtual instruments or software plug-ins (compressors, amp sims, effects pedals, etc.). It looks and works a lot like Garageband, so if you start with GB and move up, Logic will feel natural, if more advanced.

- Pro Tools: designed more for studio recording than actual composing, although as of Pro Tools 6 (I think) there is midi support. You can still write/record midi and use your midi keyboard: if you're going to be doing more recording than midi-ing, Pro Tools is definitely the way to go. It has a crap-load of built-in effects. At first, it's a little less intuitive than Logic Pro, but you can also do a lot more in terms of plug-ins, side-chaining, and generally messing around with audio files.

- Digital Performer 7: this is not software designed for your typical amateur musician. DP7 is, as they say, srs bsns. It is literally everything you could ever want: a full sequencer/DAW, full audio import/recording support, SMPTE time code functionality (very helpful for film composition) and it has complete built-in mixing and mastering suites. Not to mention the amp simulations and modeled effects pedals which are just completely sexy.

- Magix Music Maker: it's a bit like Garageband, but they both do different things. Music Maker seems geared toward more electronic music production, whereas Garageband is more accommodating to different genres. If you stay away from the pre-set loops, Music Maker actually has quite a bit of functionality to offer: a generous amount of editable synthesizers, drum sequencers, a nice amount of pre-set audio effects, "Elastic Audio" (a.k.a. Auto-Tune), as well as built-in mixing and mastering functionality that is a bit more advanced than Garageband.

- Audacity: open source + free = good, in my opinion. It's not got a whole lot of functionality outside of audio recording. I generally use it for rough mixes (sometimes final mixing) and for exporting my work to high quality mp3 (320kbs variable), and reading/writing 'non-common' or OS-dependent formats (like FLAC, OGG, AIF, etc.)

That's just barely scratching the surface, though. There's a ton more software available out there and, as I said, having the most expensive DAW doesn't compensate for natural talent. And just because you use a free or cheap DAW doesn't mean you can't still write good music.

Domcsore
Domcsore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 16th, 2011 @ 02:02 AM Reply

At 6/11/11 11:40 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: Anyone who thinks Pro Tools is required to make professional sounding tracks is an idiot. The IDE means nothing.

Pro Tools is industry standard when it comes to mixing though... every studio I have ever been to runs Pro Tools. Majority, however, use Logic for sequencing. Personally, I would never use Pro Tools to sequence but without fail I would use it to mix. In my opinion it is the most powerful mixing tool created.

but as I said... my opinion.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to To all wanting good software... Jun. 16th, 2011 @ 04:40 AM Reply

At 6/12/11 01:58 PM, Chemich wrote: I'm working with FL Studio 10 XXL, so far best interface for me. Got rid of that stupid pattern selector at the bottom.

Actually Legacy patterns are still there. because im using em.
>:D

Muahahahaaaaaa

BBS Signature