New Topic Respond to this Topic
lit-on-fire
lit-on-fire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-10 19:04:56 Reply

Does anybody have advice for me? I know that I wont join unless I go in as an officer, and I know to take somebody with me who has military experience to the recruiter office. I also know that I have to get EVERYTHING in writing, and proofread the contract a million times. But I'm not really sure what else to expect. I know I'd want to join the Marines, but that's it. Anybody with experience in the military want to let me know what I can expect in the Marine Corps? All I have to go on is what I see in movies. Is it a worthwhile choice? Will I regret it? Just spare your experiences and thoughts, I guess.

Thanks.

SouthAsian
SouthAsian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-10 19:11:18 Reply

Im trying to make the same decision.Of course you are making the right decision by waiting until you become an officer.You need a college degree for that so after college then you should make a choice whether or not you want in.I hear that even as an officer your still deployed and can face danger.Youll be leading your troops so obviously you will face the most danger.Although I first thought that officers were too valuable to be sent out and would end up at the desk all day.Think it over is my suggestion and if you really really want to do this get a college degree first.

C-Doodlez-Man
C-Doodlez-Man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-10 19:12:59 Reply

Well, I think your setting your standards a little high for the US military. I'm not sure how easy it is to waltz right on in as an officer, but I have no interest in the military and have no clue. It's a good way to stall for a few years if you don't know where to take your life and you want someone to pay for your meals and living quarters until then. If your afraid of death, then join the chair force. The chair force is better for careers I'm sure also.

Check out the flaming atom forums! A growing community of youtubers, with interesting discussions and a minecraft server. http://forum.flamingatom.com/index/

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-10 20:00:42 Reply

How much you will do as an officer depends entirely on what regiment you join. In some regiments, your combat career will be over in five years maximum, and you'll spend the rest behind a desk. Me, I would much rather be a Sergeant than a Captain or whatever. I have a really long military history and all of them got to warrant officers, but none of them were actually officers.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Allaire
Allaire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-10 20:04:17 Reply

OP-

If you feel that strongly about it, do it. I did, I love my life.

BBS Signature
lit-on-fire
lit-on-fire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-10 22:22:17 Reply

At 6/10/11 08:04 PM, Allaire wrote: OP-

If you feel that strongly about it, do it. I did, I love my life.

I don't feel really "strongly" about it. I just am seriously considering it. However, I'm trying to figure out what I'd actuall be getting mysel into if I signed up. What's boot camp like? What's service like? Etc.

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 16:52:03 Reply

Talk to people you know that were/are in the military. There aren't many movies that can convey to you the way it really is.

Don't trust what the recruiters tell you. That is something you will hear a lot researching your choice. They have a quota to meet, and they will promise you the moon.

If the MOS you want isn't available when you go to sign up, wait. That recruiter will call around and pull all his strings to find an open spot.

Don't go in the Marines just because of what you have seen in movies. It is very infantry based. If you want a technical job, the army may be the place for you. If you want to fly, look into the navy. If you want to sit on your ass, check out the Air Force.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
kiljoy96
kiljoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 16:52:54 Reply

Have you seen the movie Stripes?
Just think of it like that, but the complete opposite.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature
LucasJC
LucasJC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 16:55:17 Reply

I'm tired of these motherfucking threads on this motherfucking forum. >:-(

"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 16:56:10 Reply

At 6/18/11 04:52 PM, kiljoy96 wrote: Have you seen the movie Stripes?
Just think of it like that, but the complete opposite.

Sgt. Bilko is a documentary.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 16:59:33 Reply

At 6/18/11 04:52 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: check out the Air Force.

More like the Chair Force

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 17:01:10 Reply

At 6/18/11 04:59 PM, RacistBassist wrote:
At 6/18/11 04:52 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: check out the Air Force.
More like the Chair Force

Obligatory picture.

Thinking of Joining the Military...

BBS Signature
Randomguy78
Randomguy78
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 17:01:15 Reply

i was never in the military, so have no reliable advice for you.

i guess the only tip i have is to make sure you are physically fit before you try.

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 17:08:57 Reply

At 6/18/11 05:02 PM, Xyphon202 wrote: Luckily, if you are going in as an officer, as soon as you come out of basic training, you are a higher rank than the people running basic training, so it's certainly easier in that case.

No. To be an officer, you have to attend OCS (officer candidate school) after bootcamp in order to become a commissioned officer. You also have to serve some time as an enlisted man before doing so.

The only way to begin as an officer, is to be in an NROTC program at a college, or to go through the Naval Academy.

BBS Signature
Allaire
Allaire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 17:22:05 Reply

Boot camp is a walk in the park man, unless you're a fatass. A lot of running, but you'll come out lean and mean!

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 17:23:55 Reply

Good, to become an officer just join the Military Academy, to become an actual person who would be in the infantry, Calvary, Navy, Airforce, ect... join bootcamp

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 17:24:21 Reply

At 6/18/11 05:22 PM, Allaire wrote: Boot camp is a walk in the park man, unless you're a fatass. A lot of running, but you'll come out lean and mean!

I was at a Marine Corps League convention last year. Some of our Young Marines had just come back from a trip to Parris Island. So, in a conversation someone said the words Parris Island. There was this old, old man (I think a WWII or Korea vet) that covered his ears and said, "Oh lord, don't even say those words."

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 17:24:34 Reply

Good luck with that getting shouted at and never being drafted out of your country shit, bro.

just roll with it nerd

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 17:33:26 Reply

At 6/18/11 05:01 PM, Randomguy78 wrote: i was never in the military, so have no reliable advice for you.

Your impressive K/D ratio suggests otherwise.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Allaire
Allaire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 18:14:28 Reply

At 6/18/11 05:24 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote:
At 6/18/11 05:22 PM, Allaire wrote: Boot camp is a walk in the park man, unless you're a fatass. A lot of running, but you'll come out lean and mean!
I was at a Marine Corps League convention last year. Some of our Young Marines had just come back from a trip to Parris Island. So, in a conversation someone said the words Parris Island. There was this old, old man (I think a WWII or Korea vet) that covered his ears and said, "Oh lord, don't even say those words."

Word, I wouldn't know. U.S Army.
They glorify the Marines way too much. I know guys in the Rangers who've made Marines look like sissys.
Their first boot camp is definitly tougher, but the Advanced Individual Training of some jobs in the Army is really hardcore. Come September Allaire is off to the sandbox!

BBS Signature
lit-on-fire
lit-on-fire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 18:15:01 Reply

At 6/18/11 04:52 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: Talk to people you know that were/are in the military. There aren't many movies that can convey to you the way it really is.

Yeah, I'll have to talk with my Grandpa and Uncle then.

Don't trust what the recruiters tell you. That is something you will hear a lot researching your choice. They have a quota to meet, and they will promise you the moon.

I know that much.

If the MOS you want isn't available when you go to sign up, wait. That recruiter will call around and pull all his strings to find an open spot.

The MOS? Well I'm not going to settle for anything less than what I want. And to meet their quotas, I'm assuming a recruiter will do a lot to help you out, if it means your signature.

Don't go in the Marines just because of what you have seen in movies. It is very infantry based. If you want a technical job, the army may be the place for you. If you want to fly, look into the navy. If you want to sit on your ass, check out the Air Force.

I'm thinking Marines because my Uncle is a Navy commander, and he has a lot of respect for the Marines, and because I know my history pretty well. And the things Marines have done are incredible. For that, I respect them a ton.

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 18:31:07 Reply

At 6/18/11 06:15 PM, lit-on-fire wrote: The MOS? Well I'm not going to settle for anything less than what I want. And to meet their quotas, I'm assuming a recruiter will do a lot to help you out, if it means your signature.

What MOS are you looking at? I used to want to be a rifleman, then I wanted to work with artillery, then I wanted to be a MP, and now I'm looking into Dog Handler.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 18:32:33 Reply

who needs to sign up for the military needs days?

look son, you gotta be lean, you gotta be mean, you gotta buy a gun, some ammo, some sandwhiches and a ticket to anywhere in the middle east then you get on your donkey and travel till the war finds you. and when you do find the war, dont bother with all that "tactics" and "manouvers" n shit, just go in guns blazing and try not to hit anyone unarmed or fully armed with body armour with the large insigna "The US army dipshit, dont shoot me"

my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 18:35:32 Reply

Good luck son.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 18:36:02 Reply

At 6/18/11 06:35 PM, Lorkas wrote: Good luck son.

SHUT UP YOUR NOT HIS FUCKING FATHER!

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 18:42:15 Reply

At 6/18/11 06:32 PM, MrPercie wrote: try not to hit anyone unarmed or fully armed with body armour with the large insigna "The US army dipshit, dont shoot me"

I'm taking notes so help me out, does that mean I CAN shoot Sailors?

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 18:44:54 Reply

At 6/18/11 06:42 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote:
At 6/18/11 06:32 PM, MrPercie wrote: try not to hit anyone unarmed or fully armed with body armour with the large insigna "The US army dipshit, dont shoot me"

you sure as hell can, I dont know much about anything, but I DO KNOW that sailors work on boats in the ocean and the middle east is a giant fucking desert so why any sailors would be in the middle of a desert deserve to be shot for being so stupid. GET BACK TO THE OCEAN SAILORMAN!

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 19:01:57 Reply

At 6/18/11 06:44 PM, MrPercie wrote:
At 6/18/11 06:42 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote:
you sure as hell can, I dont know much about anything, but I DO KNOW that sailors work on boats in the ocean and the middle east is a giant fucking desert so why any sailors would be in the middle of a desert deserve to be shot for being so stupid. GET BACK TO THE OCEAN SAILORMAN!

Actually there are plenty on Naval ground jobs. Like navy corpsmen, who are the medics for the Marine Corps. Not to mention the Navy has Anti-IED teams. And who can forget the Navy Seals, and they don't stay on ships all the time.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 19:05:33 Reply

At 6/18/11 07:01 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote:
Actually there are plenty on Naval ground jobs. Like navy corpsmen, who are the medics for the Marine Corps. Not to mention the Navy has Anti-IED teams. And who can forget the Navy Seals, and they don't stay on ships all the time.

then their not fucking navy are they! who names GROUND based units after a fucking WATER based thing?

thats like having a soldier that is transported bya plane but fights on ground by parachuting

BBS Signature
Allaire
Allaire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Thinking of Joining the Military... 2011-06-18 19:15:20 Reply

Mr. Percie.

You're 17, shut the fuck up about the Military and do your homework.

BBS Signature