Sketchy
Sketchy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 05:22 AM

At 7/3/11 05:14 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/11 04:28 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Thank you J-qb and M-Vero for agreeing with my original plan.
I seem to remember your original plan was that 32 artists go through in the first round.

Yes it was, but only half had submitted their art, so that erased the 4th round. There are now only 3 rounds.

69 artists, only 36 submitted. Next round will be top 18, following with the top 9, or 10.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 05:39 AM

At 7/3/11 05:22 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Yes it was, but only half had submitted their art, so that erased the 4th round. There are now only 3 rounds.

You can't just change the rules in the middle of a competition, SketchyEntertainment.

That violates all competition running etiquette.

When you started the thread you stated "the top 32 artists will continue to the second round." Not the top half, and not the top 18. What you are doing is not fair on the participants.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Sketchy
Sketchy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:03 AM

At 7/3/11 05:39 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/11 05:22 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Yes it was, but only half had submitted their art, so that erased the 4th round. There are now only 3 rounds.
You can't just change the rules in the middle of a competition, SketchyEntertainment.

That violates all competition running etiquette.

Well lets think of it as the second round. We now have 36 art pieces and the next 18 ARTISTS continue to the next round. Only about 6 artists will not be seen in the next round.

When you started the thread you stated "the top 32 artists will continue to the second round." Not the top half, and not the top 18. What you are doing is not fair on the participants.

Yes, the top 32 only if ALL artists competed. 69 artists were meant to join, we only had about 28 submit. You are looking at it all in the wrong direction. The people that didn't submit is about the same amount of people erased from one round of this tournament, therefore 4 rounds is unnecessary. And as discussed in the other page, if we reached 64 there would be 4 rounds. But it really seems pointless having 4 rounds when only 28 artists submitted.

I also find it unfair, but it is also unfair that not even half of the people who signed up submitted art (don't worry if you were one of these people, there is no grudge). But these things happen.

Please feel free to express your opinion everyone else.

-SketchyEntertainment

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:11 AM

At 7/3/11 06:03 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Well lets think of it as the second round. We now have 36 art pieces and the next 18 ARTISTS continue to the next round. Only about 6 artists will not be seen in the next round.

Your counting is off. 36 artists submitted art. There are 41 pieces of art.

BBS Signature
Sketchy
Sketchy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:20 AM

At 7/3/11 06:11 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/11 06:03 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Well lets think of it as the second round. We now have 36 art pieces and the next 18 ARTISTS continue to the next round. Only about 6 artists will not be seen in the next round.
Your counting is off. 36 artists submitted art. There are 41 pieces of art.

Oh sorry, thank you for the correction. I am all over the place. Thanks once again. Well yes, this is a big drop, but it is for the best. Next tournament will be far more organised. Thanks for your help though, I will take this into consideration for next time.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:33 AM

At 7/3/11 05:14 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/3/11 04:28 AM, SketchyEntertainment wrote: Thank you J-qb and M-Vero for agreeing with my original plan.
I seem to remember your original plan was that 32 artists go through in the first round.

The original plan was to let about half or 2/thirds of the artists go through each round.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 03:42 PM

In the beginning of this thread, it says "The top 16 artists will then be selected for the second round."
However, it's understandable that the rules may have changed since then, since so many people had joined.
So, it the Art Entries thread, you (Sketchy) posted, "The top 32 highest scored artists will then continue on to the next round"
Now. I realize that you may just say, "Well, this just eliminates a round!" As that may be, I believe personally (and I'd like to think I speak for others as I say this) that I made my piece to the best of my ability, but that was also in the thought that I could be in the top 32, not the top 18.
Just a thought. If you disagree, then whatever. But I'm on Aigis' side.

Besides, an extra round can't hurt anyone.
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 05:03 PM

Quite the clusterfuck we have here.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 05:08 PM

I think everyone should just calm down.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 05:23 PM

50% of the artist's who submitted there work should drop out.

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
sirhenrystudios
sirhenrystudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 06:17 PM

At 7/3/11 05:23 PM, Flowers10 wrote: 50% of the artist's who submitted there work should drop out.

Why? What do you mean "drop out"

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:21 PM

At 7/3/11 06:17 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote:
At 7/3/11 05:23 PM, Flowers10 wrote: 50% of the artist's who submitted there work should drop out.

he means "mot go through to the next round".

I understand some poeple might be sad that instead of making it to the second round they now have to stop after the first round, but what is the value of that second round really when nearly everyone goes through?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
sirhenrystudios
sirhenrystudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:26 PM

I think half, or at least a third should be eliminated, I was confused by 'drop out," I thought he meant just give up or something. I agree with J-qb, there would be no value to the second round if everyone made it through, regardless of the rules before, there are only 36 of the 64 artists

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature
Sketchy
Sketchy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:57 PM

At 7/3/11 06:17 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote:

Eliminated.

I tell you what, those who do not make it to the second round will have a round for themselves where they compete against to continue in the second round with everyone else. They will only have 1 week or so.

The top 4 from there will join everyone else in the second round. If they lose in that round, there is no saying that the people that lose that round, will win the competition, but there is a possibility.

If this is still confusing, please ask.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 02:34 AM

it seems everyone is getting confused about whats going on... the problem is (if you havent worked it out already)

around 70 artists said they would do something... and only 36 did... basicly making the first round invalid (in the old rules) due to the fact everyone* who posted something would get in regardless...

*2 or 3 people might have been elimated*

Now... with the suggestion of making the first round the 2nd round *so only half get in* has started some people off beacuse they put enough effort in to get them into the top 30 something... not the top 18 or something like that...

So... to try to make EVERYONE happy (to a degree) I think... the top X amount go through regardless... and the rest have a pre-battle to show us judges what you really got... similar to what sketchy has already talked about.... and then from that bunch of art... we choose the top Y and they get put with the others for round 2!...

if you are going to start kicking up a hissy fit beacuse you have to do more art... what do you want to do!?.... sketchy is trying to make it as fair as possible and solve as many problems... of course... you cant make EVERYONE happy beacuse someone will always complain or disagree...

Have fun and enjoy making artwork...

now... i think sketchy has to Write somewhere WHAT is going to happen and NOT change his mind... this is one of the problems i have seen so far... if you keep changing your mind people get confused and start to get anoyed... as above...

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 03:07 AM

Who gives a flying fuck how many people advance. Its sketchy's contest let him do with it as he pleases. All that really matters is that he comes through with the prizes offered at the end. If he wanted to say "fuck it, we will just have one round and the winner of this round gets a prize" then so be it. there were no contracts signed by any of you. The amount of people advancing is pretty much irrelevant since those who are good would have advanced anyway, and those who weren't wont.

Most of the people bitching in here are shoe ins for at least the first 2-3 rounds regardless of how many people get dropped. He can change the rules as much as he damn well wants. The only thing he cant do if change the way the final winners are selected and what the prize is. That would be a violation of the rules. You cant offer a prize and then not deliver, especially when money is involved.

But seriously, its a new contest, relax and have fun. Next time I'm sure the kinks will have been ironed out.

Sketchy
Sketchy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 04:19 AM

Thank you Ornery and LegolaSS.

========

So, this is the final decision.

The top 18 artists will continue into the next round. The artists who do not make it into this round will all be given a different theme to create art to. This sub-round will go for 1.5 weeks. All judges will then come together to discuss who they think is worthy of joining the other artists in the second round. Because of this event, the second round will go for an extra week or so.

The amount of people from this 'sub-round' who continue will depend on what the judges agree on. It could be 14 or it could be less.

The sub-round will start as soon as all of the judge's results have been received and tallied. On the 9th of July NG time, the theme for the 2nd round will also be given.

The sub-round for those who just missed out on making it to the second round will go for 1.5 weeks.

Round 2 will go for 4 weeks, and will overlap the sub-round.

That is the final decision.

So, if you have any queries whatsoever, please ask.

Thank you

-SketchyEntertainment

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 09:25 AM

Now that we are long past the sign ups stage, to avoid confusion among those not in the know about the AVAT you might want to start up a new thread for discussion that doesn't have 'signups' in the title. Otherwise there will probably end up being a reasonable amount of people not reading the thread and trying to sign up way too late.

Something like 'AVAT Discussion Thread' or 'AVAT Round 2 Discussion'.

Just a thought.

BBS Signature
Sketchy
Sketchy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 09:27 AM

At 7/5/11 09:25 AM, Aigis wrote: Now that we are long past the sign ups stage, to avoid confusion among those not in the know about the AVAT you might want to start up a new thread for discussion that doesn't have 'signups' in the title. Otherwise there will probably end up being a reasonable amount of people not reading the thread and trying to sign up way too late.

Something like 'AVAT Discussion Thread' or 'AVAT Round 2 Discussion'.

Just a thought.

Yes, that is a good idea. I will get started tomorrow morning (my time). Thanks for the heads up.

DCzerkies42
DCzerkies42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Avat - Art Signups Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 03:16 PM

sounds beast i know what im doing

Animation I want to be the Best Fucker.

BBS Signature
rendibsivad
rendibsivad