SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 12:20 AM Reply

hai guiz
Do you all know how I'd be able to make an awesome IDM/Glitch drum loop without smacking 5 d_blue's on it and calling it a day?

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 12:29 AM Reply

At 6/5/11 12:20 AM, Space-Whale wrote: hai guiz
Do you all know how I'd be able to make an awesome IDM/Glitch drum loop without smacking 5 d_blue's on it and calling it a day?

Go to town with the slicer or dr rex, really. Make multiple instances of the same loop so you can swap between different effects and what not. The chopper tool in FL is your best friend.

p.s. i am gay

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 12:54 AM Reply

At 6/5/11 12:29 AM, midimachine wrote: Go to town with the slicer or dr rex, really. Make multiple instances of the same loop so you can swap between different effects and what not. The chopper tool in FL is your best friend.

But how would I make something Autechre-esque?

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 01:03 AM Reply

Well there are lots of different ways to do IDM drums. Personally I don't like using dBlue glitch, although it is a fine VST I must say. I like to do all the glitching myself. Although, it can get pretty tedious after doing several bars of different glitching/effects while trying to keep it fresh and concise. (Probably why I don't make much IDM anymore, cuz I'm lazy)

Obviously, there is no right or wrong way. But I can give you some tips or ideas on how I do my IDM style percussion. I like to rely on time stretching and generally fast paced percussion. Throwing in small amount of effects is cool, like a bit crusher over a bar or turning a delay on and off repeatedly over a phrase of percussion. Far panning to the left and right for shorts amount of time can be a cool effect too.

For IDM, I like to use drum-machine and synth-style drum samples over breaks. Either that or a mix of the two.

If you're into breakcore, I've noticed the percussion is heavy breaks-based. Quick switching between the breaks within measures is a good idea and generally throwing in whatever different sounds you can find. But try not to have them overlap.

Overall, if you take anything from these my (unorganized and basic) ideas is to try and think outside the box, and just play around with different things until you find a sound you like, then roll with it.

You know, Sessilenomad made a few helpful videos on different glitching techniques in FL. Give em a watch and see what you learn.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 01:07 AM Reply

At 6/5/11 12:54 AM, Space-Whale wrote:
At 6/5/11 12:29 AM, midimachine wrote: Go to town with the slicer or dr rex, really. Make multiple instances of the same loop so you can swap between different effects and what not. The chopper tool in FL is your best friend.
But how would I make something Autechre-esque?

Well if you mean the Draft 7.30 and Confield albums, those were mostly generative, made with Max

unowned
unowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 01:30 AM Reply

http://www.autechre.info/press/grooves-1 0.html

if it was "mostly generative" it wouldnt sound as presice, as they confirm in that interview

but hey, its what you get from a lieing scoudndrel who on record gets linked to a maxmsp tutorial about how to turn something into a midi controller in the old chat room, and on record claims he also did it himself later on these boards

never forget

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 01:40 AM Reply

At 6/5/11 01:30 AM, unowned wrote: http://www.autechre.info/press/grooves-1 0.html

if it was "mostly generative" it wouldnt sound as presice, as they confirm in that interview

Oh my mistake, guess I ought to check my sources before I post.

but hey, its what you get from a lieing scoudndrel who on record gets linked to a maxmsp tutorial about how to turn something into a midi controller in the old chat room, and on record claims he also did it himself later on these boards

Wat, care to explain?

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 01:49 AM Reply

Yo SineRider homie, I think I've got an idea on how to do it now. Thanks! :O

BBS Signature
unowned
unowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 02:19 AM Reply

one will not remember their deceit

and the same rap, open renoise.exe
then get kick sample, press ctrl+8 then alt+2 to multiply it to 16
then hold down z for a while to fill up the pattern
then add some other percussion around it and add some effects commands like retrigger and reverse
and if you want, change "set lines of pattern" every x lines to make the tracker speed up and slow down
maybe even use delay patter ncommand to stop it for x amount of time, put some cheese on there

get the hydra device to automate multiple things in one fader, then draw a automation pattern then scroll up and down the pattern while playing live and recording it to the built in sample editor

take a sample and change the looping points to make it sound retriggered, clone the sample multiple times then apply dsp effects in the sample editor, do what you need to do

then go and have a cup of coffee while joe name is still drawing it in a piano roll, waiting to boast how long it took them, while prolific tracker artiste

unowned
unowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 02:33 AM Reply

At 6/5/11 02:19 AM, unowned wrote: alt+2

i mean alt + plus

humanize some of it sometime, and not other times, enable and disable groove here in there by putting f301 command

then when that pattern is done, render it to selection and use 09xx command to slice it, clone it and add other effects to the cloned loops, enable "sync loop" to pattern to make it on time

then move the phoney cables and sliders around to waste time

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 02:59 AM Reply

Layering is your friend, I'd highly recommend after slicing up a beat to copy paste the snare/kicks and layer them with a second better mixed one since you can only apply generic mixing to the sliced pieces.

BBS Signature
mmmburgers
mmmburgers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 03:08 AM Reply

Go download some amen breaks, splotter some random notes into the piano roll of Fruity Slicer.

INSTANT IDM DRUMS.

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 03:09 AM Reply

Slice everything and experiment from there. It's hard to explain, really.

how did I get this job!?
InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 03:14 AM Reply

At 6/5/11 03:09 AM, Spikrodd wrote: Slice everything and experiment from there. It's hard to explain, really.

I share this sentiment, there are a lot of ways of making drums complex. Slicing is probably at the core.

Also worth doing, after writing up varied beats with the sliced track, and after mixing, try exporting the track back into the song, remove the original beats and run the drum mp3/wav file through more effects processing that you can automate to toggle on and off. Similarily, try running a short phrase of the drums through a bitmap editor, or a the FL granuliser and tweak parameters in there.

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 03:29 AM Reply

If you wanna do "generative" stuff then you check out the ordinate and muchacho VSTs by xoxos. Very slick.

p.s. i am gay

Decibel
Decibel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 07:41 AM Reply

Well ;;

dBlue is very good, I don't understand why you wouldn't like using, I use about 7 different dBlue's in 1 channel when making IDM or Glitch stuff.

Then, I suggest you download some compressors and bit crushers, they make the best fills and transitions when inserting new melodic elements, or harmonies, pads, etcetera, hell, slap one on the master channel for shits and giggles.

What is pretty good too, is flanger, Insert a flanger on the drum channel/channels and play around with, then turn down completely, and then create an automation clip and increase it to the full for two bars, it makes a great 'going faster effect.

What is also extremely cool is reverb fills ;; SessileNomad ha a tutorial on youtube for it. I suggest checking out his other tutorials too, they are smashing ;D

nubbinownz has a tutorial or 2 as well, check the out.

That's all I know so far, I'll keep you posted if I find anything else ;)

poopr1221
poopr1221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 01:03 PM Reply

Most people are too lazy to REALLY automate Dblue to their advantages, so it ends up sounding REALLY recognizable. But then again, the reason most people don't use Dblue is simply because doing said glitches by hand gives you far more control. But that's a different argument for a different topic.

If you're going to get into IDM drums, dabble into a little bit of everything. Experiment. Try synthesizing your own bleeps, squelches, and bloops. Take classic drum machine sounds and use them dry or completely mangle them and transform them into something different. Use some sliced up breaks here and there. If you've got a good mic, record your own sounds, and then process them into what you want them to sound like. Basically it's, like someone said earlier, all about experimenting.

Alchemist94
Alchemist94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 01:14 PM Reply

I vaguely remember nubbinownz doing a tutorial on breakcore drums, if you can find that then you should be fine, providing you're using FL.

DonCarrera
DonCarrera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Doing Sick Idm Drums Jun. 5th, 2011 @ 01:58 PM Reply

If you want some GREAT loops for IDM - start here:

LOOPPROJECT

No spambotting intended, but check out Plugexpert's breaks and compress/excite/EQ/chop them to your liking for maximum IDM goodness. Even better than the traditional Amen.

Oh yeah, and get Renoise (as aforementioned) if you want to try the drill/breakcore section - it may be hard to learn but it works VERY well after hours and hours of practice/tutorials!