BBS Signature
DCzerkies42
DCzerkies42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to What is a very good mic? Jun. 4th, 2011 @ 02:01 PM Reply

CAD GXL2200SP Studio Condenser Mic Recording Pack anyone have opinion of this one?

Animation I want to be the Best Fucker.

BBS Signature
jhardin
jhardin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What is a very good mic? Jun. 4th, 2011 @ 05:13 PM Reply

CAD mics are generally on the low-end spectrum of recording. They'll get the job done, but won't necessarily give you the best quality. If you want to get a good voice recording mic, I'd personally suggest something from MXL, Shure, or Audio Technica. My personal favorite(though I have yet to actually own one at home) is the Shure SM57. It's a great little dynamic mic that you can pretty much drop all over the place, and it will still work. SM57's are also used alot in live recordings and performances, and are largely considered one of the most versatile mics on the market. It's the mic I have the lead singers at my church use when I'm running sound. They only cost around 100 bucks too, so you get great quality for a great price. If you want a condenser though, then I'd suggest the MXL V63M. I have this mic at home myself, and it works great.

szindaer
szindaer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What is a very good mic? Jun. 4th, 2011 @ 05:43 PM Reply

I'd suggest you to invest in a condenser mic for the voice recording :)

We have such sights to show you...

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to What is a very good mic? Jun. 4th, 2011 @ 05:46 PM Reply

I would certainly reccommend the AT2020 Podcasting Microphone. It is very easy to setup up, very easy to use, and very affordable! I have used it for the past 3 years and it has never let me down. I don't even use the stand anymore. I just pick it up and go. Although, you should invest in a $5 pop filter for sure to go along with it (and any mic for that matter)

$80 AT2020 Right Here :)

neolinked
neolinked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician

Click pic for my best trance song

BBS Signature
DCzerkies42
DCzerkies42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Avensus
Avensus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to What is a very good mic? Jun. 6th, 2011 @ 05:50 AM Reply

At 6/4/11 05:13 PM, jhardin wrote:

:My personal favorite(though I have yet to actually own one at home) is the Shure SM57. It's a great little dynamic mic that you can pretty much drop all over the place, and it will still work. SM57's are also used alot in live recordings and performances, and are largely considered one of the most versatile mics on the market. It's the mic I have the lead singers at my church use when I'm running sound. They only cost around 100 bucks too, so you get great quality for a great price.

Gotta say, I'm thrilled to hear this. I have an SM57 that I bought for putting in front of my guitar amp (and I've had studio techies do the same thing, so i knew I'd made the right choice for that), but I wasn't sure if it was gonna be good for voiceovers. It's great to hear someone talking it up for voiceovers, 'cause it means I don't have to worry about getting another mic :D

Kpheeyat
Kpheeyat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to What is a very good mic? Jun. 6th, 2011 @ 06:52 AM Reply

Shure is a bit cold for my taste - It's *slightly* overrated.
I'd go with a condenser mic, too.

"Contra Mundum, Semper Et In Aeternum."
My voice acting demo - PM me if you need me:)

Avensus
Avensus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to What is a very good mic? Jun. 6th, 2011 @ 07:44 AM Reply

At 6/6/11 06:52 AM, Kpheeyat wrote: Shure is a bit cold for my taste - It's *slightly* overrated.
I'd go with a condenser mic, too.

My singing teacher uses a condenser mic to record our lessons, so you won't get any argument from me. Thing is, condenser mics tend to be fairly expensive. My SM57 was ~$150, and I couldn't get a condenser for less than $350.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to What is a very good mic? Jun. 6th, 2011 @ 07:46 AM Reply

Look at a T-Bone or Behringer large diaphragm condensor, they're generally very competitive in terms of Cost Vs. Quality in their budget range.

But then you'll need a soundcard with a mic in and phantom power. So there's a trade off, the investment in a non-USB microphone means that while you can use it in all contexts it requires a more expensive setup.

I might just reiterate the idea of using a SM58 if you don't have a room suitable for voice overs - an airing cupboard, for instance. Somewhere small with plenty of material to soak up reflecting sound. Even hangig curtains and duvets and such does alot to help.