Be a Supporter!

The drinking age should be lowered.

  • 2,378 Views
  • 122 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:43 PM Reply

I think that the national drinking age in the U.S. should be lowered from 21 years old to just 18 years old. Why? Well, if you're legally able to vote in local, state, and federal elections, gamble, and serve in the military with the possibility of dying for your country, you should be allowed to drink. I'll provide more reasons why I think the drinking age should be lowered if this thread can encourage some meaningful discussion and debating.

What are your opinions, Newgrounds?


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Spoopy
Spoopy
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:44 PM Reply

yes


BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:45 PM Reply

I agree. I believe the drinking age should be 18, and I think it used to be 18 in some states.

My dad told me stories of how he drove down to CT from MA to buy beer since at the time, 18 was the drinking age in CT.


BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 09
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:47 PM Reply

They tried lowering the legal drinking age to 18 back in the 70s and immediately afterwards, the drunk driving fatality numbers skyrocketed. They'll never do it again unless the youth learns moderation, and at the rate that we're going, I'd say it'll never be lowered again.

james-pinfold
james-pinfold
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Audiophile
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:48 PM Reply

Agreed. Actually, lower it to my age. I need alcohol right now.


BBS Signature
kiljoy96
kiljoy96
  • Member since: Jul. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:48 PM Reply

LOL FGGTS I DUN KNEAD DAT SHET IN MY LIFE
i can hav a god tim w/o that
amerca shoud go dry

xXSTR8EDGEXx

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 10:47 PM, Spikrodd wrote: They tried lowering the legal drinking age to 18 back in the 70s and immediately afterwards, the drunk driving fatality numbers skyrocketed. They'll never do it again unless the youth learns moderation, and at the rate that we're going, I'd say it'll never be lowered again.

Correlation does not imply causation....Unfortunately, politicians don't understand this.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
C-Doodlez-Man
C-Doodlez-Man
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:49 PM Reply

Well yeah. Lowering the drinking age is obvious. Most countries have nowhere near 21 as a drinking age. Ages like 16, 17, 18. I'm sure I won't be able to utilize a lower drinking age, because by the time it's lowered (which is inevitable) I will probably be 21 anyways.


Check out the flaming atom forums! A growing community of youtubers, with interesting discussions and a minecraft server. http://forum.flamingatom.com/index/

BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

didn't Cootie make basically the exact same thread as this

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 09
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

double posting

While true, I believe that if you can die for your country, you should be able to get a drink, I just don't think people are responsible enough to drink and know their limits. It's a crutch to many and it's a shame when most of those people haven't even left high school yet. It's either blackout drunk or sober as a bird.

Then again, I'm a huge supporter of Darwinism, so if the dumbasses wanna drink themselves to death, then so be it.

Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

I think that drinking is overrated. But yes, it seems illogical that you can do all those other things you mentioned before at 18 and yet you don't have permission to drink alcohol.

Meh, here in Dominican Republic the drinking age is 18 in legal terms, but anyone can go to a bar and drink regardless of age.


BBS Signature
MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:51 PM Reply

You know, even if it's lowered to 18, nothing is gonna really change. I mean, even people under 18 somehow manage to obtain alcohol nowadays. So I think that it doesn't make sense to change the "drinking age"

C-Doodlez-Man
C-Doodlez-Man
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:52 PM Reply

Furthermore, I don't understand how you can be a legal adult with so many other rights, 18 years old and responsible for yourself, and can't drink alcohol.


Check out the flaming atom forums! A growing community of youtubers, with interesting discussions and a minecraft server. http://forum.flamingatom.com/index/

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:59 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 10:52 PM, C-Doodlez-Man wrote: Furthermore, I don't understand how you can be a legal adult with so many other rights, 18 years old and responsible for yourself, and can't drink alcohol.

Your brain isn't fully developed and you aren't actually a responsible person yet. You're still just a child.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Thilon
Thilon
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:01 PM Reply

Kids and drinks don't go together well. I disagree. Last thing we need it drunk children.


Missing: My Forum sig

Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:02 PM Reply

Go to mexico, the legal age there is 18.
Or come to Canada, the legal age here is 19.
Or you can get a fake ID, or grow a mustache, I got into my first titty bar when I was 17.


[SevkittyBBS, join LOSER] - [I am not a crook] - [Add me on Steam: svkkt]

BBS Signature
Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:03 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 10:51 PM, MrSaint wrote: You know, even if it's lowered to 18, nothing is gonna really change. I mean, even people under 18 somehow manage to obtain alcohol nowadays. So I think that it doesn't make sense to change the "drinking age"

Well, a reason that comes to mind is being able to drink with friends at bars, clubs, etc. Unless you're good at faking IDs and/or the bartender doesn't give a fuck.


BBS Signature
Im-A-Pirate
Im-A-Pirate
  • Member since: May. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:05 PM Reply

We've got enough stupid kids killing themselves already.


"Sir, we are surrounded!"
"Excellent, we can attack in any direction!"

Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:06 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 10:59 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 6/3/11 10:52 PM, C-Doodlez-Man wrote: Furthermore, I don't understand how you can be a legal adult with so many other rights, 18 years old and responsible for yourself, and can't drink alcohol.
Your brain isn't fully developed and you aren't actually a responsible person yet. You're still just a child.

Maybe, but I don't see why the government should preclude 18~20 year olds from drinking.

It's not like they'll become mentally retarded if/when they sip alcohol at that age. And besides, with that logic, we should ban alcohol altogether since it damages entire organs, such as the brain, the liver, kidneys, etc.


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
BlakeMo
BlakeMo
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 10:44 PM, Spoopy wrote: yes

The thread should have ended right here.

But yes it should be down to 18


Keepin' Calm and Chiving On
*clickable siggy*

BBS Signature
Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:09 PM Reply

So guys, since being 18-20 is still considered as being a kid, can I touch other kids too? I mean it should be legal, right?


BBS Signature
GoryBlizzard
GoryBlizzard
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:16 PM Reply

They could raise the drinking age to fucking 30 or illegalize it again for all I care.

Most people who want alcohol will always have a relatively easy time obtaining it. Same goes for any other drug.


'Cause you're feeding the fire within me...
Twitter | NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 11:16 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote: illegalize it again for all I care.

In today's news, crime goes up 5,000%


[SevkittyBBS, join LOSER] - [I am not a crook] - [Add me on Steam: svkkt]

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Reader
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:20 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 11:05 PM, Im-A-Pirate wrote: We've got enough stupid kids killing themselves already.

My entire assertion here has been focused on the fact that at the age of 18 years old, you are no longer legally recognized as a "kid."


I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
RyderOmega
RyderOmega
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Filmmaker
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:25 PM Reply

Here in Texas, a minor may drink alcohol if a Parent/Guardian is present.

I love Texas.

PSN:Ryder-Omega/Steam:Ryder Omega

I'm that lazy bastard who doesn't bother to take down his damn Christmas lights. I still have the fucking kriss-kringle hats from last year!

BBS Signature
LucasJC
LucasJC
  • Member since: May. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:26 PM Reply

They should just make alcohol illegal and marijuana legal, because when you actually look into it, alcohol is worse.


"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

Picknikel
Picknikel
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:27 PM Reply

You can't gamble when you're 18. At least not in Vegas anyways.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 18
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 11:26 PM, LucasJC wrote: They should just make alcohol illegal and marijuana legal, because when you actually look into it, alcohol is worse.

Because Prohibition never caused any problems

Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 6/3/11 10:43 PM, Jedi-Master wrote: I think that the national drinking age in the U.S. should be lowered from 21 years old to just 18 years old.

I don't.

Why? Well, if you're legally able to vote in local, state, and federal elections

They can put a man in office, but not drink. That's a good thing? You want drunk people voting?

Gamble,

They love stupid kids gambling. It puts money in the system, and doesn't result in drunk driving death.

and serve in the military with the possibility of dying for your country, you should be allowed to drink.

I'm sure we wouldn't win many fights wih drunk soldiers and pilots. Besides, this arguement is used mostly by dumb kids who have no intention of joining the military. They just use this complaint because they want to drink.

I'll provide more reasons why I think the drinking age should be lowered if this thread can encourage some meaningful discussion and debating.

I hope you can give me some better reasons than you simply want to go get hammered. So far, your reasons suck.

Weigh the cons against the pros. There is no good reason to drink. It's either because you're screwing around, or you're depressed with dealing with the world, and want to escape. It kills people. Liver disease. Certain cancers. Drunk driving death. Being a sloppy mess prick is bad. But some people get mean enough to fight, or kill. It's usually in the family too. Most people aren't even old enough at 21, if you ask me. Like black out drunks, and mean asshole drunks.

Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to The drinking age should be lowered. Jun. 3rd, 2011 @ 11:29 PM Reply

I think everything ever.


Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature