New Topic Respond to this Topic
ToastedToastyToast
ToastedToastyToast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art) 2011-06-03 22:02:53 Reply

Basically Im trying my hand at making a pixel art game (MSPaint). Whilst I have always use paint in my art I have rarely used it alone, I always use other programs for different stages depending on what program is most suitable for what I am trying to achieve.

Below is just a few of the basic graphics I have made so far.
I just want to know what you think of it, improvements, advice, good points, bad points, tips etc. Be as constructive and as detailed as possible because I want to get this right. Its useless saying this sucks without saying why and how I can improve it.

All feedback and criticism is appreciated and will be taken into account. Thanks.

Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art)

If in doubt then set it on fire because fire is A if not THE answer and solution to absolutely everything.
-- Corey Griffin 2008
</thread></head></body></html>

TouchEverything
TouchEverything
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art) 2011-06-04 07:57:10 Reply

The shading seems wrong and colors are to plain boring, you have way to many colors on one object.

Pm me and I'll try to help you

Buujack
Buujack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art) 2011-06-04 08:12:28 Reply

its really good. shading is okay.
but thats because i cant do any better myself so, touche, my young warrior!

Gimme a minute! And im in it! Yo moma that is!

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art) 2011-06-04 08:24:51 Reply

At 6/4/11 07:57 AM, TouchEverything wrote: Pm me and I'll try to help you

Why aren't you able to help via a reply to the thread? :'( Other people may get the benefit, or nudge you in the right direction.

BBS Signature
Armaina
Armaina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art) 2011-06-04 12:58:58 Reply

Your general structure for your items look good, though one of the things that is causing them to look flat is the fact that they have solid black lines. You'll want to give color to the lines as well as possibly lighting to match the lighting in your coloring

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218
This is a good basic article on pixel art.

Also, if you plan on making these for a game, you're going to want to figure out a cohesive pallet for your sprites, as it will help everything look 'together' in the game

http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/art/Pix el-Art-Tutorial-Colors-184802567
this is an excellent tutorial on how to make color pallets for sprites.

ToastedToastyToast
ToastedToastyToast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art) 2011-06-04 15:42:28 Reply

At 6/4/11 12:58 PM, Armaina wrote: http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218
This is a good basic article on pixel art.

Also, if you plan on making these for a game, you're going to want to figure out a cohesive pallet for your sprites, as it will help everything look 'together' in the game

http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/art/Pix el-Art-Tutorial-Colors-184802567
this is an excellent tutorial on how to make color pallets for sprites.

Thanks a bunch. The tutorials were pretty good, that helped a lot! I understand what you mean about the solid lines and the colouring may be slightly dull as some of you stated but thats because they are weapons. Not much I can do in the way of decorating them other than colouring the handles and such. But then again I think everything looks slightly more dull than if it was featured in a movie or game. Right now Im seeing an adventure quest advertisement below where Im typing, the swords are all silver crosses with brown handles. But I bet if somebody played it then it wouldnt be quite so boring... Then again its a generic internet RPG...

If in doubt then set it on fire because fire is A if not THE answer and solution to absolutely everything.
-- Corey Griffin 2008

ToastedToastyToast
ToastedToastyToast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art) 2011-06-06 12:11:44 Reply

Okay I took youre suggestions into account and I am going to edit the weapons and continue making them in the ways you suggested.

Second part is making levels, I am trying to make tiles to build levels with. Heres just a tiny token of the tiles so far, Im not going to bother showing all of them because they are all pretty much the same just on slants. Its fairly basic, little shading and coloured lines which is something you guys mentioned about the weapons. I made it based off of pixel games like Nitrome's stuff (Check out his games on NG by the way, they are sweet!) atari and gameboy consoles etc. It actually reminds me of them old 2d sonic levels with the loops and swirls and also super mario bros with those grassy platforms held up by pillars.

No, I havent drawn ground yet. Thats probably the part I want help with most now. Anybody can tell me what kind of texture to use, provide example images and example colours then that would be great because I kept trying and everytime I looked at the result it just didnt seam to look quite right.

Heres the grass, let me know what you think, suggestions, tips, changes etc. Those tutorials helped out quite a bit and your suggestions were pretty good for the weapons. Be harsh, ultimately youre the ones going to be playing this game when I finish and release it and I aim to please. So speak your minds. I also added a second larger version so you can see pixel by pixel how it was made.

Thanks again.

Feedback / Suggestion (Pixel Art)

-- Corey Griffin 2008