New Topic Respond to this Topic
zawmbee
zawmbee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 04:55 PM Reply

Are some people just naturally gifted in the ability to handle numbers? I'm currently sitting GCSEs on the way to hop over to A Levels, and I was just thinking something: why am I so bad at Maths? :|

I try my best but I just don't get the results. I'm not horrible but I am fairly average. Were people just born with the ability to process numbers? While the rest struggle with Algebra. I don't know. Weird question, but hey. Any tips on how to get better at Maths? I need to succeed in Maths ):

Minerals
Minerals
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 04:56 PM Reply

naturally good at maths

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 04:57 PM Reply

numbers is man-made and something you will have to learn. there seem to be quite a big difference in logical thinking in different people though.

my douchebag-point being that it's not just maths. ^____________________^

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Letiger
Letiger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 04:59 PM Reply

I once read a news article that said Asian-American students preformed better than their peers at Math.

BBS Signature
Homeric
Homeric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:00 PM Reply

If you can't keep up with maths in class you should do extra work outside of it. Either read over your notes and do some examples when you get home, or read up on the syllabus before you're taught it in class so you have a bit of a head start.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:00 PM Reply

Maths isn't just for the naturally logically gifted, it's very much a skill that you can achieve by hard work. it may take some time, but if you spend say at least two hours/day with maths tasks, you WILL get better.

So basically, the hard way is the right way.... probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's something that will work.

Try to push yourself all the time, but don't give yourself tasks that are too hard to solve. It's very important that you actually manage to solve a large part of what you're dealing with, othervice it's just going to feel overwhelming and will quickly get boring.

Good luck with mathsing olooolol ^_^

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

StrikerF2
StrikerF2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 04:56 PM, Minerals wrote: naturally good at maths

Maths... yes?

I'm not particularly gifted at it, but I have to deal with maths on a regular basis. Some people do just "get it" though, it makes a lot more sense to them.

I haven't really had an "Aha!" moment with maths, but I just found that for exam conditions, just hammering formulae into my brain helped.

I probably had the same issues as you when I was doing my standard-grades (GCSE equivalent). I kept getting the wrong answer because the calculations were so long winded that somewhere I would just forget that there was a minus, which screwed the whole thing up. Unfortunately the only solution is to train yourself to check for these errors. I managed to get a top grade after being at a consistent "average" level throughout the years prior, so it is possible, don't give up hope :)
Thing is, although Maths for me is essential, I won't ever have to recall it under test conditions again, and can take the time to work through and understand different calculations at my own pace, when I need to.

BBS Signature
zawmbee
zawmbee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 05:00 PM, Homeric wrote: or read up on the syllabus before you're taught it in class so you have a bit of a head start.

Haha I used to do this all the time as a little kid; I was an eager lad.

At 5/28/11 05:00 PM, Rucklo wrote: Maths isn't just for the naturally logically gifted, it's very much a skill that you can achieve by hard work. it may take some time, but if you spend say at least two hours/day with maths tasks, you WILL get better.

So basically, the hard way is the right way.... probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's something that will work.

Try to push yourself all the time, but don't give yourself tasks that are too hard to solve. It's very important that you actually manage to solve a large part of what you're dealing with, othervice it's just going to feel overwhelming and will quickly get boring.

Good luck with mathsing olooolol ^_^

I'm all for hard work. I was moved to a foundation tier (lower level of learning) because I put Maths at such a low priority compared to my other classes -- worst mistake of my life, seeing as how I need it now more than ever.

MiroDK
MiroDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:03 PM Reply

I'm not that good with math, I can understand the concept if I study, however, I don't have this..'flexibility' with it like some people I know.

I have a friend who doesn't enjoy it, but he took Kumon classes all the way until the end, so now, in Calculus, he understands everything about it, and got like, 9.6 on our last test while everyone got around 3.

shit's amazing

BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:05 PM Reply

i'm asian and i suck at math

so

Asandir
Asandir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:06 PM Reply

If you want to get better, you have to practise it, do some tasks until you are absolutely sure how to solve curtain tasks.

Without truth, there is no justice.
Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users
Portal and Icon moderator

BBS Signature
zawmbee
zawmbee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:06 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 05:03 PM, MiroDK wrote: but he took Kumon classes.

That brings back memories. I always hated that. I was really stupid as a child. I should have payed more attention with Maths, and given it full effort. I hope it's not to late to step up my game now. Maths A Level is fairly hard (or so I'm told), so I don't know if I am capable. Seeing as I was put in a lower level for two years.

StrikerF2
StrikerF2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 05:03 PM, zawmbee wrote: I'm all for hard work. I was moved to a foundation tier (lower level of learning) because I put Maths at such a low priority compared to my other classes -- worst mistake of my life, seeing as how I need it now more than ever.

Out of interest, why do you need it? I put myself in a similar situation by not continuing maths past Standard Grade, but luckily the grade I got allowed me to get into a new-ish uni course that provided me with a refresher and brought be back up to speed with all the horribly complicated stuff I need to do now.

Basically, don't give up hope, there are always routes out of any holes you find yourself stuck in :)

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 05:03 PM, zawmbee wrote: I'm all for hard work. I was moved to a foundation tier (lower level of learning) because I put Maths at such a low priority compared to my other classes -- worst mistake of my life, seeing as how I need it now more than ever.

sorry to hear that. i too wish i was good at maths, it would have made my university studies sooooo much more easy. i studied physics for one year, and would love to continue that, but i need to get better at maths before that's gonna happen. as it is now, i'm nearly done with a three year program of soundengineering, but i'd still love to keep learning both maths and physics... probably not gonna happen as i need to focus on sounddesigning, but if i find time to slip some studies in, i will.

if you know what you wish to work with or what you want to study at uni/college, you can make things way more easy for you by focusing on subjects that will make you prepared for whatever future you're planning. i had no idea what i wanted to do, and started study at uni when i was 25, which was just a few years too late... my head had already started to crumble. seriously... :3

mattuiop
mattuiop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:13 PM Reply

im good at maths. some people are just born with it.
I donno but I put my skill to good use unlike faggots that get As and Bs that smoke weed everyday and party lots!

Rawter
Rawter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:14 PM Reply

im shit to like 53% for me and probs gonna be worse when I get my maths exam back. Maths is weird in a sense because lets be for reals how many peoples are going to use trig graphs when they finished school probably about 0.5 perecent of the population. If you do basic maths in my country you can hardly get into university so you have to learn all of this stuff that im never gonna use, stupid!!

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:17 PM Reply

This guy is naturally good at maths AND science. ;)

On the average person like me, I failed maths for about four years. Now I am in my Junior (As/A levels) year going into Senior and I ace it like a man. It requires a lot of linear thinking. I am about 2 years ahead of my class now.

lel

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:17 PM Reply

I was always kind of good at math, but that's only because I looked at it from a logical perspective, and numbers as concepts.

you can train your logical ability, all you need is the will to do so.

If you are having trouble getting interested in math, look at from a philosophical perspective.

look at math as a numerical medium of the universe.

BBS Signature
mattuiop
mattuiop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:26 PM Reply

im good at maths. some people are just born with it.
I donno but I put my skill to good use unlike faggots that get As and Bs that smoke weed everyday and party lots!

zawmbee
zawmbee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:26 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 05:07 PM, StrikerF2 wrote:
Out of interest, why do you need it? I put myself in a similar situation by not continuing maths past Standard Grade, but luckily the grade I got allowed me to get into a new-ish uni course that provided me with a refresher and brought be back up to speed with all the horribly complicated stuff I need to do now.

Basically, don't give up hope, there are always routes out of any holes you find yourself stuck in :)

I've planned out my future in education accordingly. I have several university courses for Computer Science, which requires an AAB result -- Maths being a necessity. Physics and a computing subject will not suffice, but will receive moxie points. I'm taking IT, Maths and English in A Level to achieve the requirements. I'm an actual beast at English and IT, but Maths is another story.

Cheers mate. Appreciate the comment (:

At 5/28/11 05:10 PM, Rucklo wrote:
sorry to hear that. i too wish i was good at maths, it would have made my university studies sooooo much more easy. i studied physics for one year, and would love to continue that, but i need to get better at maths before that's gonna happen. as it is now, i'm nearly done with a three year program of soundengineering, but i'd still love to keep learning both maths and physics... probably not gonna happen as i need to focus on sounddesigning, but if i find time to slip some studies in, i will.

if you know what you wish to work with or what you want to study at uni/college, you can make things way more easy for you by focusing on subjects that will make you prepared for whatever future you're planning. i had no idea what i wanted to do, and started study at uni when i was 25, which was just a few years too late... my head had already started to crumble. seriously... :3

Haha that's insane, you're like a parallel me. I always wanted to take a sound engineering course, but I opted for a more "stable" career choice. I'm such a nark.

I completely agree. I've planned my university years with a lot of alternatives. Haha, what are you working as now? I'm in the place of not knowing what I want to do in the future. I only have hobbies, which I'm not even intermediate at as I don't think I could preform under a professional level -- bar programming and overall computing.

At 5/28/11 05:17 PM, Sequenced wrote: This guy is naturally good at maths AND science. ;)

On the average person like me, I failed maths for about four years. Now I am in my Junior (As/A levels) year going into Senior and I ace it like a man. It requires a lot of linear thinking. I am about 2 years ahead of my class now.
At 5/28/11 05:17 PM, Sequenced wrote: This guy is naturally good at maths AND science. ;)

He looks 12, what is this? He makes me feel bad. But he'll be my new tutor nonetheless.

What do you mean "linear thinking"? I always thought it would be quite the opposite.

GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:27 PM Reply

It's possible. People on the autistic spectrum tend to be good at math. I wasn't naturally good at math but I studied my fucking ass off when I was really young and became really good at math.

zawmbee
zawmbee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 05:26 PM, mattuiop wrote: im good at maths. some people are just born with it.

I fucking hate that! Everyone in higher Maths are obsessive party whoring junkies, who don't revise at all. How do they amount to such great grades :|

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 05:26 PM, zawmbee wrote: Haha that's insane, you're like a parallel me. I always wanted to take a sound engineering course, but I opted for a more "stable" career choice. I'm such a nark.

I completely agree. I've planned my university years with a lot of alternatives. Haha, what are you working as now? I'm in the place of not knowing what I want to do in the future. I only have hobbies, which I'm not even intermediate at as I don't think I could preform under a professional level -- bar programming and overall computing.

At the moment I'm doing my final thesis at DICE, games studio in Stockholm that makes the Battlefield franchise. After this we'll see what goes down... i wanna get into sounddesigning for computergames, but I'm new with this... however, I'm learning shitload at DICE, so it's a flying start for sure.

Sound started out as a hobby for me, then I studied siound for a year, and since then I've worked extra as a live-sound technician. A while I had strong doubts about "ruining my hobby" (sound being the hobby) by working with it one way or another, but now I'm at a point that I could definitley see myself working with sound for games for a couple of years. What the future brings, who knows...

But you should really try to think things through. Look up as much as you can of various jobs that may or may not include your hobbies. The sooner you can decide what you wanna do, the more time you'll be able to spend and get good at it once you've decided.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 04:57 PM, Rucklo wrote: numbers is man-made and something you will have to learn. there seem to be quite a big difference in logical thinking in different people though.

my douchebag-point being that it's not just maths. ^____________________^

I tend to agree with this, however some people also just psych themselves and overthink certain math, which is why I always tried to pay attention in math class xP.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 06:54 PM Reply

As someone who's done more math than he cares to think about, my advice is to read your textbook and really think about the concepts behind what you're doing. If you understand the ideas (which are generally conceptual and not numerical in nature), the application will come much easier.

Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 06:56 PM Reply

At 5/28/11 04:59 PM, letiger wrote: I once read a news article that said Asian-American students preformed better than their peers at Math.

It's a common fact for the last couple of years that the general American educational system is decreasing and not at the level that should be expected for a country like the USA.

Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 06:59 PM Reply

Maths are conventional we all have to learn them. Some just accept it as a part of reality better then some.

CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 06:59 PM Reply

I think Maths is one of those topics you're good at or not. Of course you can get better and understand it more the more work you do on it but in my opinion (yes this is not fact.) It is something some people are naturally clued on about. I myself am totally incompetent with maths and at GCSE level I took the foundation paper because I simply couldn't do the higher one. Foundation is really easy to pass and anyone who is "average" will school it, but prepare for a shock come A-levels as Foundation GCSE to that is a very big step.

BBS Signature
Alchemist94
Alchemist94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 07:00 PM Reply

GCSE's don't mean shit, you'll still get into college. Don't worry.

DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Naturally good at Maths? May. 28th, 2011 @ 07:04 PM Reply

I've become interested in mathematics recently, but I've always been shitty at math at school because of my lethargic attitude.. Now I just feel like I can't really get good at it because I'm already old and I never put any effort into it. I'm so far behind.