New Topic Respond to this Topic
Klik
Klik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:21 PM Reply

You guys have to remember that this controller will likely go through many different designs. Hell remember when we first saw the wii controller?

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:22 PM Reply

The Wii U looks interesting, but it's not what I was expecting. If anything, Nintendo's conference has me wanting to buy a 3DS, something I never thought I'd ever want. Some of those games that they announced seem to be exactly what I think is missing from modern gaming.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:25 PM Reply

My prediction for E3 2014:

Sony and Microsoft reveal their own tablet controllers, put way to much time and effort into marketing them without actually making any games for them.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
SlipperyMooseCakes
SlipperyMooseCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:27 PM Reply

I suppose it is cool but it seems too late. It's awesome to finally have games that were PC/360/PS3 exclusive for so long on Nintendo. The only problem is that this console launches in 2012 and by then the Xbox 360 will have been out for 7 years. The on par or slightly above graphics aren't really a game seller for me. It will be nice to see a HD Zelda game though.

As for the cool things you can do with the controller, I suppose the ideas are almost limitless like Kinect. However it seems more gimmicky (to me at least) than something I would realistically use playing a game. I can only imagine the really cool things you can do that will blow your mind when you see them presented, but won't really care about them when you just want to play a game.

I have to say this is the most disappointing E3 in a long time. All conferences strayed away from games and focused on hardware. I suppose you have to do that when launching a new hardware but still it is a bit of a bummer.

The best announcements of E3 in my opinion:

Halo 4 - Master Chief is finally back. Microsoft actually LISTENS to what Halo fans want.
NGP - $250 price is perfect. A massively better deal than 3DS and I don't even really like handhelds.

There was stuff shown that I'm really excited about but I already knew about it.

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:32 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 01:21 PM, klik wrote: You guys have to remember that this controller will likely go through many different designs. Hell remember when we first saw the wii controller?

You've got a point... The PS3's 'boomerang' was changed entirely to the old school PS controller at the release. I'm not holding my breath on it, but it might change for better or worse.

DirtySyko
DirtySyko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:42 PM Reply

I think the Wii U is an awesome idea in concept, but I won't give any of my faith to it until it's release and I see the software coming out for it. I'm sure I'll still buy on launch because I'm a consumer whore and generally buy new consoles at release. I just like that exciting, new and fresh feel.

I think the only way Wii U has a chance to actually convince people to buy third party games for the system is to get exclusive third party games. I really doubt people with a choice between 360, PS3 or Wii U versions of a multi plat game will pick up the one on Nintendo because of the controller. The controller doesn't seem very ergonomic for playing games like Battlefield 3. If Nintendo wants people interested in third party games, they need third party games you can't get on a Microsoft or Sony platform. Nintendo needs more exclusives than any other console.

Their online structure is also in their infancy. Who in their right mind as an avid Xbox Live or PSN player would jump ship and buy a heavy online game like Battlefield 3 for Wii U when Nintendo has done everything in it's power to make online gaming an inconvenience. Also, 360 and PS3 have achievements and trophies, and people obsess with that. Nintendo has no system like that, and starting one now puts them pretty far behind. It was tough enough for Trophies to try and compete with Achievements in the beginning.

tl;dr: Nintendo needs exclusive third party support, because their new controller isn't enough to convince people to buy multiplats on their console and their online infrastructure has always sucked. I'm sure first party games will still be great though. Where the fuck is Pikmin?

I've been refurbished and reissued, prepackaged and precooked, decontaminated and deloused, but I still smell, sound, look and feel like shit.

New to the video game forums?

BBS Signature
unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:42 PM Reply

So, Nintendo has released their new hardware with no price, no new games or IP's, and a rehash of games already out? Did they at least give a release date for the new Zelda game?

EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:43 PM Reply

Just confirmed: Apple did indeed design the WiiU controller.

Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 01:42 PM, DirtySyko wrote: Where the fuck is Pikmin?

I still want Metroid Dread but after Other M flopping, Nintendo aren't going to bother with Metroid for a while. It's a damn shame since Metroid is my favourite Nintendo franchise.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

djack
djack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 01:25 PM, Jercurpac wrote: My prediction for E3 2014:

Sony and Microsoft reveal their own tablet controllers, put way to much time and effort into marketing them without actually making any games for them.

My prediction for the next 4 years of E3.

E3 2012: WiiU has a new look and people stop bitching about the controller because it's been shrunk down, Nintendo has games for the WiiU that both hardcore and casual gamers can enjoy but fanboys of other consoles still whine about it not being as powerful as other consoles. Microsoft and Sony fail to reveal anything noteworthy as they continue to advertise the new software updates that don't do anything useful for gaming just to compete with each other and get people interest in the Move/Kinect.

E3 2013: Microsoft reveals plans to release a new console soon, a few good games are shown but very little of interest is shown during the conferences.

E3 2014: Sony reveals new console, much like the PS3 it's huge and has a bunch of features but costs so much even more people are driven away from Sony. Microsoft apologizes that an inherent flaw in hardware/programming that causes frequent problems with the console. Both Sony and Microsoft reveal plans for tablet controllers in an obviously desperate attempt to compete with an original idea from Nintendo.

E3 2015: Sony apologizes that they pissed off someone else who targeted the PSN system and stole a bunch of personal data.

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:47 PM Reply

OMG!!!! OMGGG!!! MUST HAVE NOW!!!

Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:47 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 01:43 PM, EtchASketchClock wrote: Just confirmed: Apple did indeed design the WiiU controller.

My thoughts exactly.

EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:52 PM Reply

My friend just sent me a text with this bit of gold:
"Weeeeyoo that new wii is smelly"

First name joke?

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature
Jerkapotamus
Jerkapotamus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:56 PM Reply

I was pondering why Nintendo didn't just use the 3DS as a controller. Then I thought, hell, it would pretty much be the same thing if they had just put a second analogue stick on the 3DS and make it capable of higher resolution. Then I realized that the PS vita has both of those.

Wii U controller = PS Vita

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus
Sig by Akula

BBS Signature
LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 01:56 PM Reply

Smash Bros 3DS, Super Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 3DS. They're all I care about. Also Animal Crossing 3DS whenever that's arriving.

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 02:00 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 01:42 PM, DirtySyko wrote: I think the only way Wii U has a chance to actually convince people to buy third party games for the system is to get exclusive third party games. I really doubt people with a choice between 360, PS3 or Wii U versions of a multi plat game will pick up the one on Nintendo because of the controller.

I agree, if someone wants to play Darksiders II are they going to pick up the WiiU or just play it on the PS3 or 360 they already have? I'm going to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and assume they have exclusives in the pipeline because it looks like they're genuinely trying to cultivate relationships with publishers, but they really stumbled by not showing a substantial demo that said "This is the next fucking generation and we're fucking starting it." The fact that people are interpreting this as Nintendo squeezing into the current generation says everything.

I'm not going to lie. It's a potentially cool idea and I'll also admit that Nintendo does more to nurture their innovations than either Sony or Microsoft do, but right now it's all talk.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 02:14 PM Reply

Anyone Concened about a bulky remote I'm sure Nintendo gonna have a better one of these for the specifically for the system.

Come on man.

LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 02:21 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 02:14 PM, JoSilver wrote: Anyone Concened about a bulky remote I'm sure Nintendo gonna have a better one of these for the specifically for the system.

Come on man.

I would be so happy if they had just a regular, normal controller.

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 02:27 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 02:21 PM, LulzCal wrote:
At 6/7/11 02:14 PM, JoSilver wrote: Anyone Concened about a bulky remote I'm sure Nintendo gonna have a better one of these for the specifically for the system.

Come on man.
I would be so happy if they had just a regular, normal controller.

C'mon, this is Nintendo we're talking about. It's always been about their retard controllers and the quirkiness of such.

kiljoy96
kiljoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 02:43 PM Reply

Wait, so do you need to already have a Wii and the Wii U is just another controller?

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature
Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 02:43 PM, kiljoy96 wrote: Wait, so do you need to already have a Wii and the Wii U is just another controller?

The Wii U is a separate console but they had the controller on display since the console is just a machine while the controller is what is making this console.

UncleABCD
UncleABCD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 02:43 PM, kiljoy96 wrote: Wait, so do you need to already have a Wii and the Wii U is just another controller?

The Wii U is the console, the controller is the controller. It wasn't shown in the conference for whatever reason.

picture below

UNCLE///

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 03:08 PM Reply

No lol there is a new console, a bulky horizontal Wii really. Link to a pic.

Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 03:08 PM, 7794 wrote: No lol there is a new console, a bulky horizontal Wii really. Link to a pic.

Am i late to the party?

Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 6/6/11 05:04 PM, ZJ wrote: if Pikmin 3 isn't announced, I'm going to scream.

*Screams*

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 03:34 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 02:27 PM, Spikrodd wrote:
At 6/7/11 02:21 PM, LulzCal wrote: I would be so happy if they had just a regular, normal controller.
C'mon, this is Nintendo we're talking about. It's always been about their retard controllers and the quirkiness of such.

Clearly you don't own a Wii... :|

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 03:48 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 03:34 PM, JoSilver wrote:
At 6/7/11 02:21 PM, LulzCal wrote: I would be so happy if they had just a regular, normal controller.

Oh, but I do. i've owned every console with the exception of 3DS and Virtual Boy, and I know that Nintendo is quirky for the sake of being quirky. I'm gonna need to see more material and gameplay footage before I'm convinced that it's worth it. The name is still dumb as shit.

All in all, the entire E3 was lackluster. It was a bunch of tech talk and sequel plugging. There was very little new IP talk or mention through the show.

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 04:16 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 03:48 PM, Spikrodd wrote:
At 6/7/11 03:34 PM, JoSilver wrote:
Oh, but I do. i've owned every console with the exception of 3DS and Virtual Boy, and I know that Nintendo is quirky for the sake of being quirky. I'm gonna need to see more material and gameplay footage before I'm convinced that it's worth it. The name is still dumb as shit.

All in all, the entire E3 was lackluster. It was a bunch of tech talk and sequel plugging. There was very little new IP talk or mention through the show.

Well, anyway The Classic Controller will work for the system based on what they said so even if they don't make a normal remote specially for the system, it's will still have the classic controller option. Not all Wii games use the classic controller but pretty much all shooter games and junk like that support the classic controller. So suck it :P

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 6/7/11 03:21 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 6/6/11 05:04 PM, ZJ wrote: if Pikmin 3 isn't announced, I'm going to scream.
*Screams*

In all seriousness, though, I'm happy with how this year's presentation went for Nintendo. While I'm not totally sold on the Wii U, I am really pumped to get a 3DS, as I really want to play the new Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Luigi's Mansion game. I'm also really eager to see how the remake of MGS3 works. Not too shabby.

Also, Mario Party 9 is nice. Hopefully it'll have online functions.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Sandman99999
Sandman99999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Official E3 2011 Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2011 @ 05:17 PM Reply

Well seeing as I don't particularly give half a shit about Nintendo, I'm gonna change the topic for a quick second.

Was I the only surprised to hear about FarCry 3? I honestly hadn't heard anything about it before I read about it on G4.