New Topic Respond to this Topic
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 05:57 AM Reply

So I've moved to England from Australia and hold an Aussie license. I had a quick look at a few insurance places within the UK on a small car (as the smaller the car, the cheaper the insurance). I put all my details in to make me sound like a model citizen; low mileage, no accidents or criminal history.

Cheapest result I got was £280 (about $425US) a month.

I then changed the form to say I was a girl, but didn't change ANYTHING else about my driving history or the car...

Cheapest result I got was £110 (about $190US) a month.

The flipping fuck? I know young male drivers are more likely to race around in their cars but I'm actually a sensible driver! I gathered a little difference in insurance but not over £2000 ($3250US) a year...

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
Asandir
Asandir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 06:00 AM Reply

Well, that is really strange and your frustration about it is understandable, I don´t understand why the gap between the amounts of money you have to pay is so big.

Without truth, there is no justice.
Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users
Portal and Icon moderator

BBS Signature
tatsumaru7
tatsumaru7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 06:01 AM Reply

Thats pretty cheap the lowest i cn get is £300 a month. what insurance company are you using??

>>> Relationship advice! <<< Follow my Instagram: the_imaginary_boy

PSN I.D. Ninjakilla777Martial Artist club!

BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 06:07 AM Reply

At 5/24/11 06:01 AM, tatsumaru7 wrote: Thats pretty cheap the lowest i cn get is £300 a month. what insurance company are you using??

Just browsing really.

GOCOMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAREEEEEEEEEEEE EEEE YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAVE YOUR BREAD AT GOCOMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARERERERRRRRRREEE EEEEEE.

It makes sense, save expense, go compare!

Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance

BBS Signature
tatsumaru7
tatsumaru7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 06:16 AM Reply

At 5/24/11 06:07 AM, Markface wrote:
It makes sense, save expense, go compare!

Hahaha Im on it! I just got my licence a few weeks ago and Iv been searching for a car and cheap insurance. Cant seem to do it.

BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 06:18 AM Reply

At 5/24/11 06:16 AM, tatsumaru7 wrote: Hahaha Im on it! I just got my licence a few weeks ago and Iv been searching for a car and cheap insurance. Cant seem to do it.

Oh snap. First few years your insurance will suck, especially as a guy. Only tip I can really offer is if you're staying with your folks then just add yourself onto their insurance claim. It'll generally be cheaper.

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 06:33 AM Reply

I pay $44 dollars a month for my 2 door coupe. U MAD?

tatsumaru7
tatsumaru7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 06:34 AM Reply

At 5/24/11 06:18 AM, Markface wrote:
At 5/24/11 06:16 AM, tatsumaru7 wrote: Hahaha Im on it! I just got my licence a few weeks ago and Iv been searching for a car and cheap insurance. Cant seem to do it.
Oh snap. First few years your insurance will suck, especially as a guy. Only tip I can really offer is if you're staying with your folks then just add yourself onto their insurance claim. It'll generally be cheaper.

Hmm interesting, if I buy my car can I put it on to my parents insurance company and also be insured?

BBS Signature
LazyPint
LazyPint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 07:18 AM Reply

At 5/24/11 06:34 AM, tatsumaru7 wrote:
Hmm interesting, if I buy my car can I put it on to my parents insurance company and also be insured?

Some companies do multi car policies, essentially allowing several vehicles to share one policy.

However, I think he's referring to "fronting", where young people get their parents insured on a vehicle with themselves as a named driver.

This results in lower premiums since your parents will probably have a good no claims history. It is a kind of fraud though and you might get caught. Whoever holds the policy is supposed to be the main driver of the vehicle.

Bridge of Weir Meet-Up 2012, a real thing that's definitely real! You won't believe how real it is!*

*Realness not guaranteed.

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 07:47 AM Reply

I hate insurance companies too. I hate every damned thing about them.
Some free advice:

- Go for yearly premiums if you can afford them, as they're less expensive overall. You'll end up paying about 25% more if you go for the monthly instalment option.

- Max out the voluntary excess. In most cases, the default excess setting is ridiculously low, and increasing it will result in a smaller insurance premium overall.

- Most of them also have optional features like legal cover and free courtesy cars as a default too. Turning off all the optional stuff will likely cause it to get cheaper.

- The vast majority of insurance companies have a third-party only policy type which is a lot cheaper than comprehensive / TPFT cover. Since you're never going to voluntarily use these services, there's little point in shelling out hundreds of pounds extra for them.

- Work the phones / individual websites. Sites like MoneySupermarket and GoCompare may have 100+ insurance sites on them, but if you actually look at the results that they generate, you'll often see a lot of those companies failed to return a result when you submitted your details. Do not give up on those which didn't work: phone them up / go to their websites and do it manually. You'll be surprised how often one of the failed requests actually turns out to be cheaper than any of the ones you got on-screen. Only buy a policy when you're certain there are no other leads to pursue. It may be a pain in the ass, but so's finding out you spent considerably more than you had to at a later date.

Roy-Tomara
Roy-Tomara
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 07:51 AM Reply

Well, since a lot of women are in the kitchen, the few ones that aren't (lesbians) are catered to by the insurance companies.

All kidding aside, it is ridiculous. I just got dropped from mine because of two accidents (one of them involving a deer).

"My God, I haven't be fucked like that since grade school." Marla Singer, Fight Club

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Melancholy
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 07:54 AM Reply

280 a month? I pay that every six months for insurance.

BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 08:48 AM Reply

At 5/24/11 07:47 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Lots of useful shit.

Oh snap... cheers. :)

BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 08:52 AM Reply

At 5/24/11 07:47 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Go for yearly premiums if you can afford them, as they're less expensive overall. You'll end up paying about 25% more if you go for the monthly instalment option.

Fuck me... just did a yearly payment up front. Went down from £2400 or so over 10 months for £1050.

I love you so hard. I'ma call around as well.

BBS Signature
Comrade
Comrade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 10:58 AM Reply

My motorcycle insurance is $250 a year, and that's for a 17 year old male with no prior riding experience on a sportbike. Imagine how cheap it'll be when I turn 25.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 11:03 AM Reply

I've heard about that, they ask like 3 times the price of the car sometimes (per year). Luckily it's not that expensive in my country.

Alchemist94
Alchemist94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 11:09 AM Reply

Yep, this is why I'm getting a motorbike, cheaper to run in this fucking backwards country.

AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 11:35 AM Reply

I'm enjoying a simple $550 every 6 months. Amuurka.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 12:11 PM Reply

The cheapest result you get is still less than mine, and I AM a girl. Insurance is all so arbitrary.

CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 12:13 PM Reply

In a few years time that's going to change as the EU courts say that's sexist and all prices will be equal in the near-ish future. First time ever blokes have pulled out the sexist card in history probably.

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 12:15 PM Reply

I don't know how different insurance rates are over in England compared to the States, but yeah, as much as we all love to make crappy women driver jokes young males are more likely to be in an accident than a female and we pay accordingly. It evens out as we get older, but it still sucks that a percentage of hormone fueled shits who put an emotional quantity on cars and try to prove how masculine they are by driving like complete cock-shafts have to ruin it for everyone else who just want a car to drive from place to place like a sane individual.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 01:44 PM Reply

At 5/24/11 08:52 AM, Markface wrote: I love you so hard. I'ma call around as well.

Lol, it's cool. :D
Just remember, if you do have an accident, you'll be double-fucked if you put the voluntary excess up higher than what you can readily afford. I know you're not planning on crashing your car, but let's face it: who among those who've crashed a car ever did?

At 5/24/11 12:15 PM, Jercurpac wrote: as much as we all love to make crappy women driver jokes young males are more likely to be in an accident than a female and we pay accordingly.

If I remember rightly, women are more likely to be involved in single-car accidents, whereas men are more likely to be in two-car accidents. Since the kind of stuff a single car accident usually involves (streetlamps, postboxes, walls etc.) isn't anywhere near as expensive to fix as a car (and most of it is insured by the local council anyway), the overall amount insurance companies pay for single car claims is often much smaller than what a two (or more) car crash costs them. The actual frequency of accidents is about the same for both sexes; the only difference is the cost of the damage they do.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 5/24/11 06:33 AM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: I pay $44 dollars a month for my 2 door coupe. U MAD?

I only have to pay $84 dollars per month on my Matrix and this is my first car and I haven't even had a license for 6 months yet. Insurance in the UK must be expensive as dick.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Rachel
Rachel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Art Lover
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 03:18 PM Reply

It's a lot whether you're a boy or a girl. And that is why I haven't started driving..

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 03:22 PM Reply

At 5/24/11 02:14 PM, Cootie wrote:
At 5/24/11 06:33 AM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: I pay $44 dollars a month for my 2 door coupe. U MAD?
I only have to pay $84 dollars per month on my Matrix and this is my first car and I haven't even had a license for 6 months yet. Insurance in the UK must be expensive as dick.

Fuck you both, I had to pay £1600 insurance on a 1.2 litre engine for my first car.

BBS Signature
masheenH3ad
masheenH3ad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 03:24 PM Reply

I never really believe in insurance company! :)

They are like sales person to me, they don't care about you. What they care about it their sales!

Magic-Mushroom
Magic-Mushroom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 03:35 PM Reply

Solution: Don't be a dick off and you won't get caught without insurance!

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 03:48 PM Reply

At 5/24/11 03:35 PM, Magic-Mushroom wrote: Solution: Don't be a dick off and you won't get caught without insurance!

ANPR cameras are EVERYWHERE in the UK. You can be driving as carefully as you like and still be spotted a mile off if you haven't got insurance.

Just so you know.

andy70707
andy70707
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Fuck Yourself, Car Insurance May. 24th, 2011 @ 03:52 PM Reply

Agreed that is pretty cheap. And the insurance policies are quite biased like that, just by owning a citroen saxo your insurance will be a few hundred more.

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature