00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Game of Thrones (Show)

59,182 Views | 630 Replies

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-20 21:30:04

I love Game of Thrones. I watched every episode a few weekends go. I plan on purchasing the books soon.

I can't wait until April when the new episodes start coming on.

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-20 21:37:22

At 7/20/11 08:07 PM, DarkMatter wrote: my friend told me about it a month back.

He mentioned the sex but he also mentioned how it didn't take away from the show and how it was becoming his next favorite thing. He even told me they're based off of books and he's reading those now.

The sex isn't enough to ruin it, but it definitely detracts from it. There's an awkward as fuck scene where Littlefinger dumps exposition at the camera while watching two women have sex. Not only is it a cheap ratings grab, it also treats the audience like a moron by having the character spell out his motivations. It's the one thing I can't stand about the show.

The fact of the matter is you get maybe 4 or 5 sex scenes per book (which is still quite a lot), whereas HBO likes to have at least 2 in every single episode. It's been a real problem for the network recently, cramming tits where tits are not needed into stuff like Boardwalk Empire and The Pacific.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-30 14:38:12

Seems like HBO thinks everyone who watches the show is a moron, and is renaming even more characters to avoid anyone getting confused.

They already renamed Asha to Yara (because Asha is too similar to Osha, apparently), and now they've renamed Cleos Frey to Alton Lannister, presumably so people won't be confused as to why a Frey is fighting for the Lannisters.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-30 14:47:04

Just finished the second book a few days ago. I can't wait to see The Battle of Blackwater next season hnnnnng.

At 7/30/11 02:38 PM, TheMaster wrote: They already renamed Asha to Yara (because Asha is too similar to Osha, apparently), and now they've renamed Cleos Frey to Alton Lannister, presumably so people won't be confused as to why a Frey is fighting for the Lannisters.

oh god, Yara is such a stupid name.

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-30 15:08:19

At 7/30/11 02:47 PM, Ptero wrote: Just finished the second book a few days ago. I can't wait to see The Battle of Blackwater next season hnnnnng.

It's HBO. You'll get a few shots of the battle lines before the battle begins, a charge, and then it'll fade to black and cut to the aftermath. If they couldn't afford to show Tyrion fighting Robb's diversion, which is just him fighting a couple of guys with his wildlings, they're not going to be able to show dozens of burning ships on the Blackwater.

HBO never show the actual battles. Didn't do it in Rome, haven't done it in Game of Thrones so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-30 15:16:11

At 7/30/11 03:08 PM, TheMaster wrote: It's HBO. You'll get a few shots of the battle lines before the battle begins, a charge, and then it'll fade to black and cut to the aftermath. If they couldn't afford to show Tyrion fighting Robb's diversion, which is just him fighting a couple of guys with his wildlings, they're not going to be able to show dozens of burning ships on the Blackwater.

HBO never show the actual battles. Didn't do it in Rome, haven't done it in Game of Thrones so far.

They increased their CGI team by a lot, plus they're getting George R.R. Martin to write the episode with the battle. The showrunners have confirmed that the battle will be shown.

The main problem with the first season was that they had a smaller budget, plus they had to reshoot a lot of scenes from the pilot when they had to replace Dany's actress.

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-30 15:53:00

I thoroughly enjoyed the first series, and I'm eagerly awaiting the future installments.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-30 16:38:27

At 5/12/11 11:52 PM, Rallard wrote: I only watched one episode, but I didn't like it.

The story was cliche medieval fantasy bullshit that has been done a million times before, the characters are unforgettable and bland (with the exception of maybe the royal dwarf, who is only memorable because he's a dwarf who has orgies with a ton of normal sized chicks), and nothing about it impresses me.

So no, I don't like it. I heard the books are good but judging from the show, it's the same old shit. I've seen dungeon and dragon campaigns more original than this.

3.5/10.

Honestly, i read it, and i had the same ideas about it. i heard a description and it sounded like any other medieval fantasy book. then i read it, and i found the characters to be all intriguing. they all have faults, and seem human. theres a good amount of backstory into everything. the characters all end up being highly interesting. and there always a good cliffhanger for each chapter.

So how about dem mudkipz?

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-30 17:09:54

At 7/30/11 03:16 PM, Ptero wrote: The main problem with the first season was that they had a smaller budget, plus they had to reshoot a lot of scenes from the pilot when they had to replace Dany's actress.

I didn't know that, who originally played Dany?

You have to know your name.

LOOP

One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-07-30 17:15:20

At 7/30/11 05:09 PM, AlphaCentauri wrote:
At 7/30/11 03:16 PM, Ptero wrote: The main problem with the first season was that they had a smaller budget, plus they had to reshoot a lot of scenes from the pilot when they had to replace Dany's actress.
I didn't know that, who originally played Dany?

Tamzin Merchant. Jennifer Ehle played Catelyn in the pilot, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 15:55:26

Xaro Xhoan Daxos is cast. They cast a black man to play him, even though the character is supposed to be white. Interesting choice, I suppose that his skin color doesn't really matter.

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 16:05:25

I started watching the first episode and I didn't like it about halfway through so I gave up. I've been kind of bored lately, so does the series pick up? Should I give it another chance and rewatch the first episode, give it even more of a chance and watch past the first episode, or is this just something that isn't for me?

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 16:07:07

At 8/2/11 04:05 PM, Makeshift wrote: I started watching the first episode and I didn't like it about halfway through so I gave up. I've been kind of bored lately, so does the series pick up? Should I give it another chance and rewatch the first episode, give it even more of a chance and watch past the first episode, or is this just something that isn't for me?

The show improves a lot as it goes on. In the first few episodes they kind of have to set everything up and introduce all of the characters, but shit gets real pretty fast. I'd give it another chance if I were you.

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 16:25:14

At 8/2/11 03:55 PM, Ptero wrote: Xaro Xhoan Daxos is cast. They cast a black man to play him, even though the character is supposed to be white. Interesting choice, I suppose that his skin color doesn't really matter.

I still think it's an odd bit of casting. If you look at that photo, and then try to imagine him mincing around, crying and being generally over dramatic like Xaro does, it doesn't sit quite tight.

Did you ever see Hercules: The Legendary Journeys or Xena: Warrior Princess? I always pictured Xaro as basically being Salmoneus from them.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 17:42:03

At 8/2/11 03:55 PM, Ptero wrote: Xaro Xhoan Daxos is cast. They cast a black man to play him, even though the character is supposed to be white. Interesting choice, I suppose that his skin color doesn't really matter.

Xaro is a summer islander, he's black. Your probably thinking of Davos.

Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 17:48:39

At 8/2/11 05:42 PM, froggerfreak wrote:

Nevermind that, I was thinking of someone else...

Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 17:49:49

SPOILERS

A Dance with Dragons is great.

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 17:50:41

Xaro is Qartheen, and they're described as pale skinned.

Are you not thinking of Jalabhar Xho?

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-02 17:59:14

At 8/2/11 05:50 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Xaro is Qartheen, and they're described as pale skinned.

Are you not thinking of Jalabhar Xho?

Yeah, That's probably who I was thinking of. Also, aDwD was awesome, but not enough Arya chapters IMO, or any one from the aFfC. Tyrion and (SPOLIER)

Ser Barristan were my favorite prospective..

Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-03 15:52:34

Jaqen is cast.

Looks good.

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-03 17:31:29

At 8/3/11 03:52 PM, Ptero wrote: Jaqen is cast.

Looks good.

Yeah, that's spot on. I think how the accent sounds will be what makes or breaks the character, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-03 17:36:38

At 5/12/11 11:07 PM, Rooster wrote: My dad likes stuff like this. So if we had HBO I would probably watch it.
He will probably just wait till its on DVD and buy it or rent it then and watch it. It looks good though. I usually don't like movies and shows from that period though.

you must have heard of sparticus blood and sand? if you have not i definitely recommend you torrent the first 10 episodes. after that you wont be able to stop watching.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-03 17:50:01

Looks awesome ill have to check it out

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-03 18:45:43

At 8/3/11 05:48 PM, Bees wrote:
At 8/3/11 03:52 PM, Ptero wrote: Jaqen is cast.

Looks good.
eh he's alright, they described jaqen with longer hair than that tho. otherwise he's exactly as i pictured him. i hope they get someone good for biter

Are you seriously implying he's not just going to wear a wig?

How many of the actors do actually think have the same hairstyles they do in the show?

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-03 19:11:52

At 8/3/11 05:48 PM, Bees wrote: eh he's alright, they described jaqen with longer hair than that tho. otherwise he's exactly as i pictured him. i hope they get someone good for biter

He'll definitely either get a wig or grow out his hair. What I wonder is if they're going to make his hair red and white.

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-08 13:17:19

Hannah Murray from Skins as Gilly.

Doesn't have a lot to do in season 2, but whatever.

Seems odd to casting someone like Gilly when we still don't have a Roose Bolton yet, or a Ramsay Snow/Bolton for that matter.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-09 08:29:31

Dolorous Ed cast

I thought it was looking like he wasn't going to get cast at all. Glad he did, one of the best characters.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-10 01:55:05

Roose Bolton cast.

GRRM made it a riddle and some guy in the comments solved it.

-3 nominations for best actor and 1 win.
-was in the Santa Incident = "taken on Santa".
-last worked on Shadow Dancer = "last seen dancing home"
-Was Fergus in Fergus' Wedding which he wrote= "wrote the script for his own wedding"
-was in The Tiger's Tail = "caught a tiger by the tail"

Game of Thrones (Show)

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-10 02:03:31

I've been debating with myself to read the books or not.

The show was so awesome that I don't want to read the books for fear of "spoilers". I'm not sure if I wan't to know whats going to happen and watch to see "how they are gonna do that" in the show, or just watch the show and be amazed as the story unfolds.

All this news about casting would be really exciting if I even knew who the characters were.

So, what do you all think, does reading the books detract from the suspense of the show, or is still just as interesting knowing what happens? I suppose to properly to answer this you would have had to read the first book before seeing the show, but regardless, any input is valued.

You have to know your name.

LOOP

One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature

Response to Game of Thrones (Show) 2011-08-10 10:23:28

At 8/10/11 02:03 AM, AlphaCentauri wrote: So, what do you all think, does reading the books detract from the suspense of the show, or is still just as interesting knowing what happens? I suppose to properly to answer this you would have had to read the first book before seeing the show, but regardless, any input is valued.

Well of course it detracts from suspense when you know what's going to happen, but I still enjoyed just watching everything play out. The books have loads of extra stuff that didn't make it into the show, and the show has stuff invented for itself that isn't in the books, too.

Apparently season 2 is going to deviate even further, with stuff from A Storm of Swords (book 3) being moved into it. They already did a little of that in season 1 (Arya meeting Hot Pie, Lommy and Gendry is at the start of A Clash of Kings, Catelyn interrogating Jamie tied to the tree takes place in a dungeon in Riverrun well into Clash), and if I had to bet, it'll be Dany stuff they move over, since she's hardly in A Clash of Kings at all, but has plenty to do in Storm.

BBS Signature