New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 12:06 PM Reply

Looking back at the season as a whole the thing I'm most disappointed about is gutting of all prophecy and mystery.

One of the most appealing things about the books is the speculation they cause over both the prophecies of things to come, and the visions and half-told stories of the past.

The show should generate Lost-type theories and arguments, but instead we get nothing. No Tower of Joy means no discussion of Jon's parentage, what actually happened there or Ned's promise, no House of the Undying means no discussion of Rhaegar and Elia (and no "song of ice and fire" line), no Red Wedding foreshadowing, no flaming warrior, stone beast or mummer's dragon (which are all still debated as of A Dance With Dragons), and also not getting what is perhaps Dany's most important prophecy, the "child of three" stuff which predicts her entire story. Cutting Melisandre's means we're not even introduced to the concept of Azor Ahai let alone the situations surrounding his birth/rebirth so we can't speculate who he is. Even Patchface had Red Wedding stuff to say.

Instead we get that one green dream from Bran which pays off in the next fucking episode, and nothing else.

It seems insane. Doing something like this would only help the show by keeping up interest even when it isn't on the air.

But I guess you can't expect too much from a show which openly admits they have one executive who deals with the "drama" side and one who's job it is solely to cater to the (in their own words) "perverted" side of the audience.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 01:00 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 12:06 PM, TheMaster wrote:
But I guess you can't expect too much from a show which openly admits they have one executive who deals with the "drama" side and one who's job it is solely to cater to the (in their own words) "perverted" side of the audience.

I think the second one should go away.

But I found this video and for some reason I've watched it about 7 times in a row but you guys are the only ones I can show it to because my friends aren't cool and don't watch Game of Thrones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfLiugkQnY&feature=relmfu

creepyboy
creepyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 01:21 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 12:06 PM, TheMaster wrote: Looking back at the season as a whole the thing I'm most disappointed about is gutting of all prophecy and mystery.

One of the most appealing things about the books is the speculation they cause over both the prophecies of things to come, and the visions and half-told stories of the past.

The show should generate Lost-type theories and arguments, but instead we get nothing.

I think the producers wants to focus more on drama and character development to not disappoint the audience like Lost did. Lost was a heavy character based drama, but they use all the mystery mostly to move the story and the characters motivations, but most people didn't get it and that's why they were disappointed at the end because all the questions weren't answered. It's logic that such an ambitious show like Game of Thrones don't want to fall in the same "trap", because audiences are now hesitant to follow Lost-type shows.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet
Art Page|Art Thread|DeviantArt|Twitter

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 02:11 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 01:21 PM, creepyboy wrote: I think the producers wants to focus more on drama and character development to not disappoint the audience like Lost did. Lost was a heavy character based drama, but they use all the mystery mostly to move the story and the characters motivations, but most people didn't get it and that's why they were disappointed at the end because all the questions weren't answered. It's logic that such an ambitious show like Game of Thrones don't want to fall in the same "trap", because audiences are now hesitant to follow Lost-type shows.

But Game of Thrones already has the answers decided. GRRM knows how it ends, he's not making it up as he goes like Lost. There's no fear of that, especially since some of the Clash of Kings prophecies have already paid off.

I wouldn't say character development is their focus, either. By changing Arya's story to what it was she didn't grow as a character at all this season. By this stage in the book she's killed men in cold blood, while in the show she's only killed that stable boy accidentally, which is very different. She should be a significantly darker character than she is by now.

I don't even want to think about Dany's story, which was changed from some pretty dull but ultimately important foreshadowing and character development to killing time for a season and having her shout "FAIAH AND BLUHD" a lot.

Honestly, it's not the fact that there are changes that bothers me, it's that some of the changes are entirely unnecessary and create plot holes or remove motivation for later events. I can understand the changes to the Blackwater or removing minor characters like Bywater and Alyanna and giving their roles to series regulars instead, I can't understand a lot of the other stuff.

Why did they not have Robb and Cat be informed for Bran and Rickon's "deaths"? Without it you go from a grieving mother freeing a man out of desperation to save her daughters to her apparently being played for a fool. Robb is even worse though. From a wounded man having just heard of his brothers death seeking comfort with the woman caring for him, and ultimately marrying her because honour demands it (drawing parallels with Ned) to an impulsive jackass who puts his own desire above the needs of his people and sacrifices a valuable alliance for pussy.

There's no reason for these changes. They wouldn't cost anything, and they make for much more likeable characters.

Then you've got the whole wilding thing, which was woefully handled. Qhorin is reduced to a bit part, and instead of the rangers sacrificing themselves one by one to stall the pursing wildlings, and Qhorin educating Jon along the way you get a bunch of sex jokes with Jon and Ygritte, and then a fight scene where it isn't even clear if Jon understood what Qhorin was doing.

Jon just comes off as a fucking retard in the show. Rather than showing compassion for Ygritte and freeing her, she tricks him and escapes. Rather than becoming a convincing turncloak by murdering the Halfhand on Rattleshirt's orders, he apparently kills him in self defence before being inexplicably freed by the wildlings because the plot demands it.

Again, none of this is a budget issue.

There's some more borderline cases, like giving most of Reek's role to Dagmer Cleftjaw, a relatively minor character, rather than just casting Ramsay this season and omitting Dagmer, and Qarth, that was handled poorly but at least the motivation behind the changes was fine, that being the lack of Dany in ACOK.

I don't want to give the impression I don't enjoy the show, I do, it's just frustrating that it could have been so much better with such minor alterations.

BBS Signature
camobch0
camobch0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 03:33 PM Reply

I feel like such a foreigner having not read the books. I suppose I'd probably agree with TheMaster if I'd read them. The Wildlings seemed so built up, but they were barely touched in the series thus far other than scenes where they were an aside to Jon and that final thing in the last episode.

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 03:51 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 03:33 PM, camobch0 wrote: I feel like such a foreigner having not read the books. I suppose I'd probably agree with TheMaster if I'd read them. The Wildlings seemed so built up, but they were barely touched in the series thus far other than scenes where they were an aside to Jon and that final thing in the last episode.

In the book it's a lot more menacing. Having attacked the sentries like in the show, Qhorin's band travels further into the Frostfangs to hopefully scout Mance's army. They're pursed by a band of Wildings they never see, but one by one the rangers fall back to sacrifice themselves and stall the wildings to give the others more time to complete their mission, eventually leading to a superb scene where only Jon and Qhorin remain and Qhorin explains his plan to Jon without Jon really understanding, before it finally clicks when they're caught up with and Jon turns cloak and murders Qhorin, allowing him to infiltrate their ranks with the hope being he can escape and report back to Mormont.

It also introduces the concept of Skinchangers due to a bird (I forget what it is, a hawk maybe) that a wildling is controlling and using to spy on them, which is pretty fucking important since a lot of major characters are wargs or skinchangers.

BBS Signature
SigmaNoob
SigmaNoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 03:54 PM Reply

This show... ME GUSTA!

Game of Thrones (Show)

Hey man, hows it goin?

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 03:54 PM, SigmaNoob wrote: This show... ME GUSTA!

Your 9gag is showing.

The House of the Undying scene was fucked up. There was was so much foreshadowing in the book, it's insane reading the book a 2nd time.

But what I'm most worried about is "That Scene".

If done right, it has the potential to be the most incredible scene in TV history. But if they fuck it up, or REMOVE it, the show will be dead to me.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 04:47 PM Reply

If THAT scene is the Red Wedding, then the creators will do all in their power to make it amazing, they've said it's their dream scene to put on screen and so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 04:11 PM, phrozonfire wrote: But what I'm most worried about is "That Scene".

If done right, it has the potential to be the most incredible scene in TV history. But if they fuck it up, or REMOVE it, the show will be dead to me.

I'm terrified Roose and Jaime will never cross paths and he'll be unable to send Robb his regards.

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 04:49 PM, TheMaster wrote: I'm terrified Roose and Jaime will never cross paths and he'll be unable to send Robb his regards.

Well Bolton's in the show, it'd make no sense for their paths not to cross.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 05:33 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 05:24 PM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 6/10/12 04:49 PM, TheMaster wrote: I'm terrified Roose and Jaime will never cross paths and he'll be unable to send Robb his regards.
Well Bolton's in the show, it'd make no sense for their paths not to cross.

They've fucked with Harrenhal so much though. Brave Companions (or at least Hoat) being cast is a good sign, but the lack of Weasel Soup isn't.

I really hope the Greatjon was only missing for this season and will be back, too. Need him at that wedding.

BBS Signature
AlphaCentauri
AlphaCentauri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

Sunday nears its end, and a lack of Game of Thrones leaves me sad.

Anyway, I've started reading the books. I really wanted to hold out and watch the entire series before reading the books. Because I saw the show before I even knew about the books, I have (had?) a little more loyalty towards the show. Mainly I didn't want to see any spoilers by reading the books.

Upon the realization this series wont be over until I am at least 27 years old (I suspect longer) I have giving up on holding off from reading the books.

Finally I was wondering if anyone with video editing capabilities could create a video containing clips of Jon Snow and Ygritte set to this song. It would be so hilariously terrible.

You have to know your name.
LOOP
One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature
brmalone
brmalone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 07:36 PM Reply

cant wait for season 3

:3

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 07:36 PM, brmalone wrote: cant wait for season 3

neither can i

i hope they put in more ros scenes and make her a main character.

hey

BBS Signature
creepyboy
creepyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 03:54 PM, SigmaNoob wrote: This show... ME GUSTA!

Because of the titties?

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet
Art Page|Art Thread|DeviantArt|Twitter

BBS Signature
brmalone
brmalone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist

At 6/10/12 07:44 PM, Crink wrote:

neither can i

i hope they put in more ros scenes and make her a main character.

me too :)

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer

All these people saying they're not gonna read the books is amusing.

Do you really think you'll be able to avoid spoilers for 7 years?

I was Xbox Live the other day playing Max Payne 3 and someone was shouting out "**** DIES!" "****** DIES!"

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 07:49 PM, phrozonfire wrote: All these people saying they're not gonna read the books is amusing.

Do you really think you'll be able to avoid spoilers for 7 years?

after the first episode of season 1, i was promptly spoiled on everything significant by a certain television and film imageboard

i read the books after that anyway. still amazing. it's going to be impossible to remain on the internet and not be spoiled about at least something upcoming because there is a lot.

@whoever said being loyal to the show and then reading the books: it's better to read the books and then watch the show imo. it's much more enthralling to see the shit you imagine come alive on the screen rather than the inverse.

hey

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 11:16 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 10:08 PM, Bees wrote: i think season 1 did a good job of adapting the book. season 2 was mediocre at best.

Yeah, I read the first book up to about where Ned got captured by Jaime before I stopped for school reasons and the show adapted it spot on, though I think they might have made Tyrion slightly cooler in the show than in the book. Maybe I just didn't get through enough that had to do with Tyrion. I felt like around season 2 they just started to kinda cram shit together and cut some thinks out, mostly from Dany's story but to be fair she's not that interesting right now, cause I guess they had to fit in everything leading up to and everything happening in the Battle of Blackwater in just 10 episodes. Obviously I didn't read the book equivalent to the events of season 2 so I can't really back that claim up, but I just kinda get that feeling from the way season 2 felt more rushed than season 1. And of course from everyone saying they're skipping important stuff from Dany's story.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 08:52 PM Reply

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/06/hbo-pulls-episode-in-wake-
of-bush-head-flap/

Episode 10 of season 1 pulled from on demand services, rotation and production of DVDs/Blu-rays halted, because in that scene where Joffrey shows Sansa the heads, one of them is George Bush.

It's going to be removed from the episode permanently.

Glad I have an original print Blu-ray.

BBS Signature
AlphaCentauri
AlphaCentauri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 08:57 PM Reply

At 6/15/12 08:52 PM, TheMaster wrote: http://winteriscoming.net/2012/06/hbo-pulls-episode-in-wake-
of-bush-head-flap/

Episode 10 of season 1 pulled from on demand services, rotation and production of DVDs/Blu-rays halted, because in that scene where Joffrey shows Sansa the heads, one of them is George Bush.

It's going to be removed from the episode permanently.

Glad I have an original print Blu-ray.

This is just silly. They clearly tilted the head and gave it a wig so it wouldn't be recognizable. And it isn't recognizable. Its simply a non-issue. If anything I'm only upset because it takes me out of the Song of Ice and Fire Universe ever so slightly.

You have to know your name.
LOOP
One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jun. 28th, 2012 @ 07:25 PM Reply

Tara Fitzgerald cast in season 3.

Judging from reference to her and Dragonstone in a twitter post by the actress playing Melisandre who's name escapes me at the minute, she's probably Selyse.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jul. 1st, 2012 @ 08:53 AM Reply

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/06/clive-russell-cast-as-the-
blackfish/

We have a Blackfish.

Spot on casting. Lessens some of my worries about the recent casting of "Myranda", who appears to be another fucking original character, and we've seen how shite the show is at handling them.

BBS Signature
lucariopokemonsonic
lucariopokemonsonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jul. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:46 PM Reply

Game of Thrones
WHY IT'S AWESOME: [HOPE LOVE WARFARE DRAGONS VIOLENCE MONARCHY DESIRE DESPAIR] How does the men at Home Box Office studios balance all this into a single show AND have enough room to hold tens of hundreds of characters? If you think about it for a while, the concept is risky. You'd need actors that are willing to do ANYTHING for the camera to be perfect, a heartfelt storyline, but, most importantly, we have to care. The story is based on A Song of Ice and Fire, which isn't a well-known series, but, trust me, after finishing the first few episodes, you'll be running to a bookstore, begging for one. The actors and the dialogue they share let you bond with them as they progress through the above mentioned terms. Therefore, GoT does manage to finish the much-anticipated series and change it into a much-delivering one. You simply HAVE to check out Game of Thrones. Otherwise, you might not have lived.

BBS Signature
lucariopokemonsonic
lucariopokemonsonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jul. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

Well, here's a little smart asshole.
1. Don't judge a book by its cover. Did you hear about that one smartass?
2. Did you actually READ any medieval fantasy novels? Because if you did, you need to move on from those history books.
3. You haven't even BONDED with the characters yet. Why? Because you keep judging it.
4. Give examples of some cliche medieval fantasy. History? It's SUPPOSED to be based off history retard.
5. Are you one of those people who only like the titties? If you are, you're in the wrong place.
6. Lastly... fuck you.
GOOD DAY. :)

At 5/12/11 11:52 PM, Rallard wrote: I only watched one episode, but I didn't like it.

The story was cliche medieval fantasy bullshit that has been done a million times before, the characters are unforgettable and bland (with the exception of maybe the royal dwarf, who is only memorable because he's a dwarf who has orgies with a ton of normal sized chicks), and nothing about it impresses me.

So no, I don't like it. I heard the books are good but judging from the show, it's the same old shit. I've seen dungeon and dragon campaigns more original than this.

3.5/10.

BBS Signature
lucariopokemonsonic
lucariopokemonsonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jul. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

Me neither. So far, I just can't see how it can get any better.

BBS Signature
lucariopokemonsonic
lucariopokemonsonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jul. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 12:06 PM, TheMaster wrote: Looking back at the season as a whole the thing I'm most disappointed about is gutting of all prophecy and mystery.

The same thing happened to the Harry Potter series.

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:51 PM Reply

At 7/2/12 07:58 PM, lucariopokemonsonic wrote:
The same thing happened to the Harry Potter series.

LOL @ harry potter

Also, don't respond to posts from a longtime ago - I.E. your reply to that negative post from the first page. :P

Also also, next year I will audition as a character for this show. I don't care if I have to fly to LA or something for the audition, i'm doing it. FOREALZ.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Game of Thrones (Show) Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 7/3/12 12:51 PM, AniMetal wrote: Also also, next year I will audition as a character for this show. I don't care if I have to fly to LA or something for the audition, i'm doing it. FOREALZ.

My brother tried to get in as an extra for season 3 after hearing they wanted people with martial arts experience (presumably as they'd know how to fall down and such without hurting themselves in battle scenes), but they only accept people based in Northern Ireland, even if you would be able to travel there.

Also you'd be going a bit farther afield than LA, given that most of the filming is in Ireland, Iceland and Malta.

Still a bit concerned about the casting. One woman cast as "Myranda", a character not in the books (there is a minor character, but she's much older and appears later on), and two more women cast as unspecified characters. One looks about right for Meera, but the other doesn't really fit anyone, and the only other female character for season 3 who needs casting now is Olenna Redwyne who is an old woman.

Terrified they're either massively modifying characters (ageing down Myranda Royce and moving the part of the story she's involved in forward or Nathalie Emmanuel's character being an older Missandei) or creating more new characters for the show, which has NEVER gone well. Look at fucking Talisa.

BBS Signature