New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-11 00:38:26 Reply

Hi. I have recently obtained a copy of photshop cs3, as I have been told it is the easiest to use and create art. I have never used photoshop and the tutorials I seem to find on the interwebs are patchy and do not seem to help, most are just people showing off without explaining what they are doing. I have only a very brief idea of how to use the tools in Photoshop as I have been messing with it for the past 3 days. I have mostly used Flash for my art but I want to do more detailed art.

Could someone please either give me a link to a tutorial that would help me make concept with photoshop or explain how to use it. I do not have a scanner to put my hand sketches onto a computer.

Much appreciated.

-warwicks on the prowl, aww fuck man I know i'm dead-

go to my ill named thread here.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-11 00:48:39 Reply

At 5/11/11 12:38 AM, TheDragonBoy wrote: Hi. I have recently obtained a copy of photshop cs3, as I have been told it is the easiest to use and create art. I have never used photoshop and the tutorials I seem to find on the interwebs are patchy and do not seem to help, most are just people showing off without explaining what they are doing. I have only a very brief idea of how to use the tools in Photoshop as I have been messing with it for the past 3 days. I have mostly used Flash for my art but I want to do more detailed art.

Could someone please either give me a link to a tutorial that would help me make concept with photoshop or explain how to use it. I do not have a scanner to put my hand sketches onto a computer.

Much appreciated.

well, With photoshop, it's more than just a tool for art. So it is best to learn how to use the tools the best you can to make the program work for you, not the other way around.
Starting with basic tutorials will help greatly. I admit with most beginner tutorials, you won't be working your own stuff, and some of them, you won't be working on things you even want. But you do them anyway because you have to learn the tools.
So here is some links
Tutorialized Photoshop
I have tons of tuts, but They aren't orgainzed.
http://www.elfwood.com/farp/art-tutorial s.html
http://open-tube.com/20-impressive-photo shop-photo-editing-tutorials
http://webdesignledger.com/tutorials/14-
most-impressive-photoshop-typography-eff ects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHlEduMhr aU&feature=player_embedded

I should really sort my tuts folder

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-11 00:51:33 Reply

Thanks. Now I know what my weekend will consist of. :P

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-11 00:54:31 Reply

Welcome to the art forum! Photoshop is definitely the most commonly used by the majority of digital artists. It's quite too vast to explain in one post but you can always google the specific needs you're looking for. I think this is helpful. But I suggest using google for more of your specific needs.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Third-Eye-Crow
Third-Eye-Crow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-11 02:00:41 Reply

When I was learning Photoshop I wasn't really sure who to turn to either, but I ended up learning in a pretty interesting way. My problem was that I couldn't afford to buy Photoshop, so I tried to google up free programs on the net. I first started with "MS Paint" which introduced me to digital art, then I moved on to "Paint.Net". I bought myself a Tablet, and I moved on to Sketcher which is a free non-downloadable public program that can be found on www.artgrounds.com. After I mastered that, I moved on to Gimp to do private work and shortly after that I found that I was extremely fit to use Photoshop with ease. The programs MS Paint, Paint.Net, Sketcher and Gimp are all free programs and they can serve as stepping stones if you want to master Photoshop quickly. Hope this helps.

TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-11 02:07:10 Reply

Thank you for your advice. I already have photoshop but i'll check out these programs for sure.

TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-12 00:37:23 Reply

I'm having a bit of trouble with the different brushes. I cant sem to find one that is effective enough for colouring. Would someone be able to give me a link to where I could download some good custom brushes? I will post my peice here when I am done.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-12 01:15:30 Reply

At 5/12/11 12:37 AM, TheDragonBoy wrote: I'm having a bit of trouble with the different brushes. I cant sem to find one that is effective enough for colouring. Would someone be able to give me a link to where I could download some good custom brushes? I will post my peice here when I am done.

eh, custom brushes are both a good and bad. A double edged sword, if you will.
Usually custom brushes are only good for the project they are built for. And the stock brushes aren't that great.

Although if you know how to build a brush for a project, and use it right then it can become a powerful tool.

For coloring, your best option is to use the basic round brush. If you need some effects with it, mess with the brush presets, and opacity.
Also make sure to make good use of your layers. They can be one of the most powerful features of photoshop.
Make a layer under your line art and color it. If your top later isn't transparent, Set its blend mode to "Multiply"

How does one use Photoshop?

BBS Signature
TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-12 02:00:17 Reply

I noticed that in the youtube vid you gave me (not sure if its you in the video) that the person used a brush where either side of the brush stroke become more and more transparent, almost as if it where a real paint brush, how would I get something like that? And i've messed around with the brushes a fair bit, I made a sketching brush, I just need a painting brush to colour like he had shown in the vid.

TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-12 02:29:15 Reply

Also, The screenies help alot.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-12 10:29:46 Reply

At 5/12/11 02:00 AM, TheDragonBoy wrote: I noticed that in the youtube vid you gave me (not sure if its you in the video) that the person used a brush where either side of the brush stroke become more and more transparent, almost as if it where a real paint brush, how would I get something like that? And i've messed around with the brushes a fair bit, I made a sketching brush, I just need a painting brush to colour like he had shown in the vid.

That is part of the brush settings. When you have a tablet, many settings like that get automatically applied.
But you can make your mouse compensate with the brush panel just the same.
It's Tricky, but it can be done.
Best bet though is to get a tablet. You can get some cheap but effective ones at various places online, or you can go the more quality route and get a wacom.

there are other options than in my example, but I tend to forget them easily . so you'll have to do some research on your own, or play around with them to get the hang of it.

BBS Signature
TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-12 19:39:19 Reply

haha. Allright. So my best bet is to get a quality tablet. Right now i have this retarded $100 note pad thing. Its terrible to use but better than the mouse. I'll post my pic here when I am done (sorta messing with it in between school and work).

Thanks for your help.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-12 19:46:01 Reply

At 5/12/11 07:39 PM, TheDragonBoy wrote: haha. Allright. So my best bet is to get a quality tablet. Right now i have this retarded $100 note pad thing. Its terrible to use but better than the mouse. I'll post my pic here when I am done (sorta messing with it in between school and work).

Thanks for your help.

Well just about any tablet will work as long as it has good pressure sensitivity and movement.
Just make sure you have the proper drivers installed so the tablet works properly

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-12 20:07:50 Reply

If you do cartoonish art rather than realistic pictures, this is probably worth checking out.

TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-13 05:05:51 Reply

Am I doing It right?

Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-13 05:19:30 Reply

At 5/13/11 05:05 AM, TheDragonBoy wrote: Am I doing It right?

It's ok looking. Now start going over the lines and then add colour and detail then all you need is a decent background and you should be left with something pretty good.

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-13 05:23:59 Reply

I'm coloring and detailing it now. FREAKING EXCITED.

TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-14 00:25:06 Reply

Well. I don't think its THAT bad for a first time. Give me some tips and crits guys. Hope you like.

TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-14 01:33:52 Reply

At 5/14/11 12:25 AM, TheDragonBoy wrote: Well. I don't think its THAT bad for a first time. Give me some tips and crits guys. Hope you like.

Looking at this. I feel kinda stupid I didn't color how the video's showed me.

xxlouisx
xxlouisx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to How does one use Photoshop? 2011-05-14 10:24:19 Reply

That is a nice little dragon you got there.

maybe go a bit darker in the lines though.