New Topic Respond to this Topic
WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Noise. 2011-05-05 18:51:54 Reply

I've just been reminded of a common issue I see with music all the time. Actually, more or less the music itself, but definitely its appreciation (don't worry I'll get the the music production part eventually).

I listen to music that is often described as... well... not music. Noise. It clearly is music, but many people out there still have a narrow opinion of what music is and what it should be. I am reminded of this all the time not only in listening to music, but producing it as well.

Take this band for example:

Behold... the Arctopus

What you may hear on the first listen is a misguided and uncontrolled mess. It sounds like nothing repeats and that there's no worthwhile material in it at all. But listen again. Listen really close. It is much more, and its true value lies beyond the aesthetic surface.

No, I am not trying to set up some vague pretentious poetic metaphor to pretend sophistication exists in this creation. What I am talking about is composition. For those of you who don't know, composition encourages the re-use and development of very few themes. Through-composition, or just simply mixing themes together to create a singular entity, is very discouraged. In this particular example, material is used and reused to a very large extent. However, it is done in such a way that it is very unnoticeable. The lead (individual) guitar, which seems to be the most prominent in the mix, rarely recylces its own themes, but it brings back themes played in what could be argued to be the accompaniment of the bass and vice versa. This is proof that thought was actually put into the music, and it's not just three people wanking around on their instruments for five minutes.

So this brings me to my point. I do not know the degree to which the people of newgrounds frequently practice music theory, but hopefully those who don't make active use of it can still participate in the conversation. To what extent are you personally willing to detract from audience appeal in favor of the compositional value of a piece? I consider the avante-garde genres of late to hold some of the most ingeniously composed music and yet almost all of its appeal is lost on the masses. Is it possible that, in a time such as this, one can be completely satisfied in writing music everyone will enjoy keeping in mind the values of the well-educated?

In my own experience, strictly tonal music doesn't satisfy me. It's almost as if tonality deters me from listening to a piece, even if it is one of Bach fugues which I can still agree are genius. Because of this, I am able to enjoy music more because not only do I satisfy my own tastes when I listen to off-the-wall music, that type of music is often of high compositional value which leads me to enjoy it thousands of times over.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 19:02:27 Reply

At 5/5/11 06:51 PM, WizMystery wrote: Behold... the Arctopus

2:12 is the best part in that song.

WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 19:04:42 Reply

At 5/5/11 07:02 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 5/5/11 06:51 PM, WizMystery wrote: Behold... the Arctopus
2:12 is the best part in that song.

I agree... but it's the most repetitive. That's sort of my point. It's almost like poorly composed music is the easiest to enjoy.

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 19:08:22 Reply

If you like them, you'll shit the front of your pants for Venetian Snares.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 19:11:45 Reply

I'm gonna admit right off the bat, I didn't read your whole post... but I do think I know what you're trying to say simply after listening to the song you linked....

And I agree... Although, in my experience, bands such as this, using extremely odd time signatures, key changes, tempo changes (I.E. Mathcore/Prog), are generally hated by anyone who doesn't have a fair bit of knowledge as far as music goes, be it theory, or production, or even just playing any instrument.

Honestly, these guys kind of remind me of a mix between Between the Buried and Me and Protest The Hero, both of which do a lot of jumping around various time/key signatures, along with different moods throughout pretty much every song. I won't say they're nearly as good as either (Or maybe I just haven't heard enough to really judge), but I can appreciate what they're doing, simply because, as a musician, I do get bored hearing what is essentially the same music over and over again from "lesser bands" that resort to 4/4 time and a single key throughout the majority of their songs.

It's different, and that's what I like about it, it makes me think. But it also saddens me that most people don't want to listen to music that makes them think (In a mathematical way anyways), they want to listen to stuff that's familiar that they can "groove" or bob their heads to.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 19:14:18 Reply

At 5/5/11 07:08 PM, Spikrodd wrote: If you like them, you'll shit the front of your pants for Venetian Snares.

Sounds like something I'd really appreciate. And this about sums up my hate for un-educated criticism:

"this is one of the most godawful things I've ever heard in my life, it makes me want to dig my eardrums out%uFEFF with an icepick. whoever made this shite should burn their turntables."

It's as if this guy thinks that because the music forces him to feel a certain emotion other than escapist joy (which Aaron Copland describes as the least intelligent form of listening, mind you) is proof enough that the music is shit. It's actually the very opposite- if the music makes you feel different then more creativity and thought must have been put into it.

Head-Full-Of-Acid
Head-Full-Of-Acid
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 22:10:11 Reply

The people who usually appreciate that kind of technicality are musicians; it'd be hard to debate that not being music compared to something like this because there are plenty of musical elements to be observed.

Don't really practice music theory when I'm organizing a piece, I'm more into how I hear it in my head, and then modify the chords and progressions if I find the sound too basic. I think it's much easier to make an elaborate piece of music sound genius compared to something more minimal.

Request a review ]                                                                            sea otters hold hands in their sleep so they don't drift away from each other

BBS Signature
Grent
Grent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 22:26:06 Reply

I don't write as much music as I used to, but back in the day, I usually used theory only to get around writer's block. While I can respect that "noise," I personally wouldn't ever produce anything like it simply because I believe the aim of the music is the audience's enjoyment, and if I alienate a large part of the potential audience by getting to technical, I consider that a failing.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 22:37:14 Reply

But, how about this?

Carpal Tunnel for 18 Musicians

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 22:47:54 Reply

At 5/5/11 10:37 PM, SineRider wrote: Carpal Tunnel for 18 Musicians

Thank god minimalism is out X_X
(Not at all saying it's bad, but I just wouldn't fancy listening to 10 minutes of it.)

But it still beats the crap out of this. Who knows what Berio was smoking when he wrote that...

WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Noise. 2011-05-05 22:56:38 Reply

At 5/5/11 10:47 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 5/5/11 10:37 PM, SineRider wrote: Carpal Tunnel for 18 Musicians
Thank god minimalism is out X_X
(Not at all saying it's bad, but I just wouldn't fancy listening to 10 minutes of it.)

But it still beats the crap out of this. Who knows what Berio was smoking when he wrote that...

Sequence III.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Noise. 2011-05-06 01:41:06 Reply

I love both bare-bones minimalism and unrelenting noise/technicality but I have to be in the right mood for either.

My own writing tends to fluctuate wildly between the two depending on my moods, too.

p.s. i am gay

PainasaurusRex
PainasaurusRex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Noise. 2011-05-06 03:25:37 Reply

There is some music I can't stand:
Anal Cunt
Flying Dubman

To me, that music is some of the worst on the planet, barring terrible noisecore or something like that. So while I could see someone liking that music, to me it is not personally appealing. Ergo, I would not listen to it. Yet, I can see some parts to it that make sense to me from a musical stand point. In the AC song, they use simple power chords, and sing about things that are offensive. The whole point is to be offensive and sound terrible. It's an offshoot of the no wave genre, it's suppose to sound bad to people. It's also to be angry, and they do that pretty well. When it comes to the Flying Dubman, I can't stand his drops and wobble, but everything else is fantastic. People like the drop and wobble the most, so that means that there's a point to it, and it can be liked. In conclusion, people are too quick to judge, but that's what we do. For people that are into Flying Dubman, they like themselves some dubstep, and there's a chance they think something I like is terrible (anyone heard of hating Skrillex cause he's not dubstep?). To them, what I like is just noise like their music is to me. Final example: My friend can instantly tell if we're listening to Lamb of God, Cavalera Conspiracy, Devildriver, Soulfly, or any other band like that but I can't tell a difference. On the flip side, most Alternative Rock/Metal sounds the same to him but I can tell the difference very well.

Hopefully all of that made sense x_x