00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Annual Winners and Redesign Info!

24,291 Views | 116 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 10:48:07

At 5/6/11 06:10 AM, Chocomilk wrote: ARGH. This is a flash website. I'm not saying that it should only be limited to .swf's, but goddamn it. I wish to keep the name Flash Portal. It's like taking the U.S. constitution and taking a wet diarrhea shit all over it. You're taking a shit on what this place was built on.

no offense tom ur still cool

My goal is for people to stop calling Newgrounds a Flash site, because that's never been what NG is. NG is an awesome community of creative people making some of the best original content on the web. It shouldn't be held back by one format that, quite frankly, has been slow to evolve ever since being acquired by Adobe. Yeah I said it. And I am excited about future Flash updates and hope to some day see a reason to upgrade beyond Flash 8, but we need to acknowledging that other formats exist and are viable means of production.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 10:58:11

Redesign may get me coming back to newgrounds more often, I doubt it though since I have almost no free time.
Keen to see it though.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 11:23:13

I have the sinking feeling I'm going to miss this design the most of all.

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 11:30:51

I hate change. Lets just go back t the original layout.

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 11:57:44

All of this sounds fine and dandy, but the video format thing is what has me incredibly hype as all of my future projects will no longer be simple flash. I'll be using Flash, After Effects, Blender and even more all combined for the projects I'm making. But what do you mean by Invite only? I feel retarded but do you mean this feature is only allowed to you after earning it in someway?

The guy below me is gay

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 12:50:09

At 5/6/11 10:48 AM, TomFulp wrote: My goal is for people to stop calling Newgrounds a Flash site, because that's never been what NG is.

I'm guessing Bob knows that by now, but you might want to make sure. :P

At 5/6/11 12:19 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: 2. Review Delete Button?

I am gonna laugh SO HARD at the inevitable tard-rage when the redesign comes out and you're finally forced to realise you are never getting a hold of that button.

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 15:56:32

Oh hey. redesign seems like it will be pretty cool, even though I don't like change. Also, about the Tank Awards... I disagree. Bahamut was the only winner I agreed with. Depict1? That pig movie? I can't really talk about musician since I'm not very avid in the Audio Portal and really go to listen to a new Lashmush submission. But anyway, I didn't like the results. But who cares about my opinion, congrats to the winners.

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 16:07:53

So, will there be any changes in the review system? I hope you give people a "comments" section to separate from actual reviews.

SirKillington is your new god.

Mongo just pawn... in game of life.

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 16:34:42

The new design sounds intriguing, and like everything else in the world, you need to change once in a while to keep people interested. Most of what you speak about seems to be straightforward, such as a wider screen layout and a different organization method to classify audio, visual, art and literature works.

I'm surprised that no one has yet asked about ranks and levels and b/p points and medals. Will you be adding more levels beyond "Supreme Commander"? Will the b/p points be reset, and we all start fresh, or do we carry them over and continue our quest for balance and recognition? How about the voting process? Recently, there had been many conversations concerning the need to slow down spammers and all the users who blindly vote "5" on everything, filling Newgrounds with junk. Any programming change or automation planned to help keep the balance?

As for the name "Flash Portal" - It is true that this site was designed for people to showcase their Flash talent, and summarily, the Flash Portal should stand as is. If you add new types of media, such as MOV / AVI (true video) then call it the "VIDEO PORTAL". I mean, we use the Audio portal for sound tracks, and the Flash portal for flashes - kinda follows a neat and easy pattern.

I'm sure you've all worked hard on the redesign, and as a programmer, I can appreciate the time, thought, blood, sweat and tears you all put into it. I'm sure it'll be just fine, whatever it is. Just don't lose the originality or the characteristics of Newgrounds - it doesn't need to follow Facebook or MySpace or anyone else - it's strong enough to stand on its own.

Can't wait to see it - will you really surprise us, or give us a few days warning?

Either way, it's going to make summer very interesting!

Thanks for a great site - may it last many, many years!

*Salutes*
EGSC ByteSlinger

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 17:15:15

Why exactly would you need to rename the flash portal? Just because of occasional video files?
Last i checked every video site on the web used flash containers and i doubt you guys implemented something different (since html5's video tag is shit)... so technically still flash.

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 20:41:23

Sounds horrible, Newgrounds is flash.

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 20:56:39

At 5/6/11 10:23 AM, TomFulp wrote: We've been planning to add Unity support ever since MindChamber and I made that Club a Seal demo in late 2009, so YES but it's another post-launch update.

That's fucking great news!

If it's not too far down the line ;)

But yeah, for those who haven't heard of Unity before you must check it out:

http://unity3d.com/

Adobe have obviously responded to Unity with Molehill but Unity have gone one better and announced Flash exporting from Unity. Which means you could build your game once and then export it to web (as Unity or Flash), iOS, Android, Xbox, PS3, Wii and standalone for Windows and Mac without re-writing anything.

Also the export Flash from Unity means the race is on! Which will happen first? NG supporting Unity or with Unity exporting to Flash? :P

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-06 21:46:02

You know, at first I was all like, "what? redesign? after 10+ years of the same goodness, NG is changing it all up on us?" But then again, I didn't think it would look good when NG did a site redesign with the appearance back in 2007 either, but that turned out to be way better than previous incarnations. So maybe this won't be so bad. I don't really like the fact that we're kind of ditching the portal as the center focus now, but hey, it's still gonna be there nonetheless, there's just more things to focus on as well.

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-07 12:39:06

At 5/5/11 06:51 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
At 5/5/11 04:41 PM, TomFulp wrote: For example, if an artist uses After Effects or ToonBoom to complete their animation, they will ultimately be able to submit it as video instead of cramming it into an SWF.
What about people making games? Are you going to start supporting Unity too?

Please say yes...

That would be awesome!

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-07 19:02:06

Could you add game maker support?

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-07 21:21:07

Looking forward to it.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-07 23:33:33

I don't want to be that guy...BUT...You-Tube is making NewGrounds look like a bitch...
How?
You-Tube takes chances.
NewGrounds? Not so much.
The introduction of other forms of media is a brilliant idea.
But why stop at that?
Why not have a NewGrounds journalist who cover media such as music,games,art and present it to us (MUCH LIKE IGN)...back stage passes to Comic-Con,developing games, etc. etc.
ALSO...what about incentives.
Why come here when there is youtube?
F***ING INCENTIVES.
REGULAR MEMBERS GET PERSON ID FOR FUTURE BEHEMOTH GAMES.
PAID MEMEBERS GET PASSes, HIGH BANDWITH, BETTER TOOLS TO UPLOAD YOUR MATERIAL, ETC> ETC.....
ok im done.
sorry for being that guy.
peace.

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-08 12:48:16

Good thing you won't really open a "Video Portal" for all to cram their booring vlogs into. Sounds good and I can't wait!

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-08 16:51:00

EVERYBODY PANIC! AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!

You have been warned...

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-08 18:28:55

Absolutely brilliant news Tom. Especially psyched about the 'video-exported' animation thing.

I want to wait to submit my current movie but I'm too impatient. I'll have one last push at cramming everything into a .swf

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-09 03:31:38

i just hope you thought up a solution to the broken audio voting system

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-09 04:33:33

What about the chat feature :(

And splitting awards into games/movies seems good to me.

Can we get view gems back too?

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-09 13:32:01

What about the audio portal? The music side of this website needs some love too (changes), like really badly.

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-09 14:03:19

Okay, seems pretty nice.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-09 18:38:12

So you bringin' back ngmag?

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-10 05:19:28

I miss the old Portal already...

Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! 2011-05-21 02:38:00

I've got another suggestion (though I doubt anyone will see this).

There's going to be a "Movies Portal", and a "Games Portal", and then the "Art Portal" and "Audio Portal"?

I think it'd be a good idea to split the Audio Portal in the same way the Flash Portal has pretty much been split. There should be a Music Portal, and a Voice Acting Portal (maybe you'll want to figure out a shorter name, but you get the idea).

The movies and games split makes sense because the only reason the two were related was the fact that they were made in Flash. No other (substantial) similarities exist. The difference is just as clear between music and voice acting. The only reason they're related is that they're audio files, but they're two completely different types of content.

If we did that, the music section would be cleaned up a bit (god knows it needs it), and up-and-coming voice actors could showcase their talents alongside other voice actors in a much more organized fashion.

Either way, if you really want this site to not be seen as "that flash site", ALL of the portals need to affect the individual's account equally. You should get voting experience and power by voting for ALL kinds of submissions, not just games and movies. Blams and awards should be used in ALL of the portals to help clear out terrible content, and showcase work that wouldn't be showcased otherwise.

I know you guys are smart, and you've probably already thought about everything I said here, I just wanted to put it out there myself. Thanks for your time, I love Newgrounds!

- Matt