Respond to this Topic
RubberNinja
RubberNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 12:27 AM Reply

Well there goes my hopes and dreams of making a web blog series about my cute cat. Gee, thanks a lot Tom.

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 12:34 AM Reply

At 5/6/11 12:08 AM, cast wrote:
At 5/5/11 11:35 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 5/5/11 04:43 PM, Evark wrote: So... you're shocking us with this by June, right?
it'll be up by next weekend
It better be, I've been waiting 11 years for this shit.

Naked pics of Tom!!

BBS Signature
Jurgen
Jurgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 12:38 AM Reply

as long as NG doesn't become the new youtube, or get somehow crowded with 4chan trolls because of this, i'm fine with it.

I like this site, i come to it to get away from youtube and find some real talent.

GamerTag: MEGAxCptnWalrus

aListers
aListers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 01:48 AM Reply

Just make sure there's no watch this movie bug. That thing was really annoying back in 07.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-on= anime era.
What have I done with my life?
clock crew

BBS Signature
Sterance
Sterance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Programmer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 01:50 AM Reply

At 5/5/11 04:41 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Because of these changes, you will notice there is no "Flash Portal" in the nav bar but it does exist as a "Classic Portal" in the subnav. There will still be a judgment phase with blams and saves.

What the fuck Tom. There better still be a place where i can go and watch all the little flash that are trying to survive, so i can mock the ones that get destroyed! You can't get rid of the portal, the portal IS newgrounds. And you won't call it flash? will it be the "Stuff Portal" or the "Things Portal?" If it aint broke, don't fix it; leave the portal be. Its the newgrounds flagship.

Hopefully your changes to the portal just won't be that drastic, but its the center of the ng community. Casual visitors probably don't have the time or energy to sift through the shit launched into the portal, but thats why the front page is jammed full of goodies.

Just finish the back end for the chat and everyone will be happy, until it stops being used a few months after its release.

Fear Popo Bawa!!!
John Goodman | ¥
while(<>){chomp;print;}

Shauna
Shauna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 03:23 AM Reply

3 more weeks guys, 3 more weeks.

Signature made by Squidbit <3
Also known as MissAllanPoe
BOOP | Wonna Buy A Ghost? | DUCKSPIN

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 03:57 AM Reply

At 5/5/11 04:41 PM, TomFulp wrote: COME WATCH THE 4TH ANNUAL TANK AWARDS VIDEO!!!

Congratulations to the winners, especially Bahamut, as you've put a lot of time and effort into this. The countless evenings where you've stopped talking to em, because you're "doing some icons" has paid off handsomely!

After some nudging, we've decided to reveal SOME info about the upcoming redesign!

The word "Flash" has essentially been removed, so games and movies have the potential to include more than just content made with Flash. For example, if an artist uses After Effects or ToonBoom to complete their animation, they will ultimately be able to submit it as video instead of cramming it into an SWF. This will be an invite-only feature and will happen post-launch. We won't be using it for video blogs and cute cat videos and it should feel pretty seamless when it happens.

Basically, we're becoming more mainstream, but we're not YouTube, so you still need to go over there for Video Blogs, so nyah-nyah!

Because of these changes, you will notice there is no "Flash Portal" in the nav bar but it does exist as a "Classic Portal" in the subnav. There will still be a judgment phase with blams and saves.

I'm going to be lost for a short while (3.5 picoseconds) after the launch, then after I've had an orgasm over the site, I'll get on with my NGing.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 04:01 AM Reply

At 5/5/11 04:41 PM, TomFulp wrote: We won't be using it for video blogs and cute cat videos and it should feel pretty seamless when it happens.

This will please me greatly.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 04:08 AM Reply

I use all of my voting power (~6 votes) against the decision to rename the "Flash Portal". It's like you're trying to rename Fenway Park or Wrigley Field

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 04:50 AM Reply

Since it's going to be wide, it seems I'll have to readjust my browser window to take up that space, and in essence, provide less screen real estate for my other applications. However, it's a relief it's not too wide, as my laptop's screen is essentially only 1366 x 728 pixels.

Also, not to be rude or anything, but the Classic portal name makes me want to puke...

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Chocomilk
Chocomilk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Reader
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 06:10 AM Reply

ARGH. This is a flash website. I'm not saying that it should only be limited to .swf's, but goddamn it. I wish to keep the name Flash Portal. It's like taking the U.S. constitution and taking a wet diarrhea shit all over it. You're taking a shit on what this place was built on.

no offense tom ur still cool

BBS Signature
Lunaful
Lunaful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 06:11 AM Reply

But I want it noooooow.

Lunaful Is Awkwardly Honest. MSPA Crew

BBS Signature
Burner1
Burner1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 06:58 AM Reply

So excited

SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 08:54 AM Reply

Hmm. Naturally reading this I'm feeling a bit skeptical, because Newgrounds has had basically the same interface since I joined 8 years ago.

Minecraft server: proxa.co
PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download
Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
maxvm
maxvm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 09:00 AM Reply

At 5/5/11 04:41 PM, TomFulp wrote: The new site layout is wide, roughly 977 pixels.

Ommageurd, an extra 197 pixels!

New features will remain a surprise and a variety of small improvements should be expected.

I hope Some account type thingy here. will finally have a purpose in life...

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:20 AM Reply

At 5/5/11 06:13 PM, ASSMAN wrote: So how about adding an iphone/droid compatible subsection in the portal for those non-flash content? iPhone/iPod/iPad supports quicktime embedded videos.

Awaiting tom's non-response..

We hope to accomodate mobile in the not-too-distant future but the ideas are piled up high so we'll just have to see how soon that ends up being.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:23 AM Reply

At 5/5/11 06:51 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: What about people making games? Are you going to start supporting Unity too?

Please say yes...

We've been planning to add Unity support ever since MindChamber and I made that Club a Seal demo in late 2009, so YES but it's another post-launch update.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:25 AM Reply

At 5/5/11 07:04 PM, Nerdonk wrote: Will movies include actual shot footage or will they just be for purely generated stuff when it comes to aftereffects, etc?
I'm glad it's invite only, we already have YouTube.

The plan is for video to include animation and live video that incorporates animation - for example if MindChamber actually makes a live action MindChamber film with real people and computer generated robots.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:29 AM Reply

At 5/5/11 09:13 PM, EpicFail wrote: I have an idea.... If you are an artist of some sort you should have an option available in your account management.

The option is to toggle ON or OFF, whether or not you get a PM when somebody reviews one of your submissions. So people who get front paged submissions would be smart to turn it off, but people who aren't recognized in flash or audio would have it set to ON so that they can know when they get a review.

We do intend to add a Notifications inbox which would log reviews, review responses, forum replies and blog replies. I'm hoping we can even let you reply right in the PM form and have it post to the correct location, so you don't have to jump all over the place. This is another item on the post-redesign list.

This redesign has been a two-year bottleneck and our immediate post-redesign plans are lots of LITTLE things, so people should expect much more frequent improvements after launch!

BBS Signature
Bubbowrap
Bubbowrap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:35 AM Reply

So that opens the door for CG? SWEET.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:48 AM Reply

At 5/6/11 06:10 AM, Chocomilk wrote: ARGH. This is a flash website. I'm not saying that it should only be limited to .swf's, but goddamn it. I wish to keep the name Flash Portal. It's like taking the U.S. constitution and taking a wet diarrhea shit all over it. You're taking a shit on what this place was built on.

no offense tom ur still cool

My goal is for people to stop calling Newgrounds a Flash site, because that's never been what NG is. NG is an awesome community of creative people making some of the best original content on the web. It shouldn't be held back by one format that, quite frankly, has been slow to evolve ever since being acquired by Adobe. Yeah I said it. And I am excited about future Flash updates and hope to some day see a reason to upgrade beyond Flash 8, but we need to acknowledging that other formats exist and are viable means of production.

BBS Signature
Zendra
Zendra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:54 AM Reply

At 5/6/11 10:48 AM, TomFulp wrote: Yeah I said it. And I am excited about future Flash updates and hope to some day see a reason to upgrade beyond Flash 8, but we need to acknowledging that other formats exist and are viable means of production.

I believe that's what people call innovation and keep on track with the latest developments - which is good! :)

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:58 AM Reply

Redesign may get me coming back to newgrounds more often, I doubt it though since I have almost no free time.
Keen to see it though.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
XenonMonkey
XenonMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 11:23 AM Reply

I have the sinking feeling I'm going to miss this design the most of all.

BBS Signature
Rooster
Rooster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Artist
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 11:30 AM Reply

I hate change. Lets just go back t the original layout.

ifureadthisdie
ifureadthisdie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 11:57 AM Reply

All of this sounds fine and dandy, but the video format thing is what has me incredibly hype as all of my future projects will no longer be simple flash. I'll be using Flash, After Effects, Blender and even more all combined for the projects I'm making. But what do you mean by Invite only? I feel retarded but do you mean this feature is only allowed to you after earning it in someway?

The guy below me is gay

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 10:48 AM, TomFulp wrote: My goal is for people to stop calling Newgrounds a Flash site, because that's never been what NG is.

I'm guessing Bob knows that by now, but you might want to make sure. :P

At 5/6/11 12:19 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: 2. Review Delete Button?

I am gonna laugh SO HARD at the inevitable tard-rage when the redesign comes out and you're finally forced to realise you are never getting a hold of that button.

headphenomenon
headphenomenon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 01:38 PM Reply

I (and my tallywacker) am very excited about the redesign, Tom. :D

06-17-11: User of the Day
07-25-11: 1500th Post
08-09-11: Level 13!

Davoo
Davoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 02:04 PM Reply

I don't at all like the idea of changing the name of the Flash Portal. I say it can be more than just Flash, but it wouldn't hurt anyone if you still called it that. And calling it "the Classic Portal" is a pretty stupid alt name. Honestly.

I know I'll get over this change, but it will always be nagging at me, forever and ever.

Davoo
Davoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Annual Winners and Redesign Info! May. 6th, 2011 @ 02:12 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 10:48 AM, TomFulp wrote: My goal is for people to stop calling Newgrounds a Flash site, because that's never been what NG is. NG is an awesome community of creative people making some of the best original content on the web. It shouldn't be held back by one format that, quite frankly, has been slow to evolve ever since being acquired by Adobe. Yeah I said it. And I am excited about future Flash updates and hope to some day see a reason to upgrade beyond Flash 8, but we need to acknowledging that other formats exist and are viable means of production.

Well, that makes sense. Can we at least call it something better than the Classic Portal, though? Such a word makes it sound even less willing to evolve. How about the "Movie/Game Portal"? Or just call it "The Portal" and call the audio portal just "Audio" to make it consistent?

Okay, I know these aren't very great ideas, but I really hate the idea of "Classic Portal".