00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Greatest Video Game Of All Time

2,926 Views | 49 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 00:19:31

1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Chrono Trigger I guess

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

Well Deserved, considering the game's quality and innovation

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Probably Ocarina of Time

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

None of them are great matches, but the 2008 IGN's reader poll is not too far off.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

The Famitsu list. If FFX were the greatest game of all time, this would be a very boring hobby.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Red

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 02:07:42

-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?
-I think there are way too many "Nintendo-childhood" people voting on these matters. I had both a PS1 and a N64 in the 90's and I can honestly say that I could name a dozen of games I liked and played more often than Ocarina of Time, most of which were PS1 games.

-GTA III, hands down. It was the trend setter of a completely new, giant avenue for games.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?
-Tetris, I suppose. You can't deny that that game got around.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?
-Ocarina of Time, obviously. I fail to see what makes it so great. Everything, from the Nintendolized semi-D&D rip off dark fantasy setting, to the gameplay was completely uninviting to me. I would have voted most Final Fantasy's over any Zelda game any day, based on story and gameplay scores alone.

-Does this seriously matter to anyone at all? Mario's overrated and I stopped caring about it as a character long ago. I like Luigi better anyway.... so green, I guess.....

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 02:09:57

Oops, I misread 4 and 5 to "Which entry on this list do you agree/disagree with the most?".

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 04:09:59

I guess I'll do these too.

6. What is the most underrated and overrated games/series of all time, {any genre?}

I'm rubbish at thinking of these but probably Singularity for the underrated one. It was soo good, felt a lot like Bioshock too which is awesome. Not many have heard of it, not many played it and if I'm right, it received relatively mediocre scores. I loved this game and can recommend it, if you see it cheap anyway (which is likely) go for it. Runner up would be an awesome game called The Knytt, and everybody who I've talked to has never ever heard of it. Its one of the most beautiful atmospheric games ever, and its free. If you liked XBLA exclusive Limbo, you'll love it. Heres the download link.

Right, as for overrated that's a pretty large area. But I am going to go for the obvious and say a CoD game, MW2. Black Ops wasn't too bad, but I think MW2 was a dissapointment. It wasn't awful, but a follow up to one of my most favourite games and in that respect was a big let down. The campaign was okay but I liked how CoD 4's wasn't to far fetched, you could really believe it, but it was at MW2 when CoD went Hollywood. The multiplayer on the game was also an unbalanced mess, the addition of tonnes of killstreaks was stupid, I didn't like the maps that much and now its been hacked to hell.
And on the other hand, I still play CoD 4 to this day.

7. If you can only play one game on one console, what would you choose?

Hmm, tough one. If I had to go with one game it would be Age of Empires II. IMO that game game is perfect, great gameplay , great strategy and great visuals. I was playing it just last night actually and what originally seems to be a quick 30 minutes translates into a lengthy 3 hour battle.

I love building up cities and strengthening my defences in that game. I usually try and hold my ground and build a great city instead of mindlessly attacking the enemy. I will build up an army though, as if they do attack or use my resources I will attack back. Oh, another bonus is that it will run on practically any PC, its great being able to play in on a laptop at places.

God I love AoE II, AoE III didn't cut it for me. Any other fans in here?

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 05:32:31

Yo, Ocarina of time...
I'm happy for you.... and I'mma let you finish....

But Chrono Trigger is one of the best video games OF ALL TIME!

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 09:32:24

6. What is the most underrated and overrated games/series of all time, {any genre?}
Underrated:
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
It is the most quirky, colorful, beautiful, replayable, enjoyable, funny, Extras filled, chuck full of replay value game on the PS2. And yet nobody ever talks about it.

Overrated:
Team Fortress 2
Seriously, when are people going to get bored of close quarters, twitchy shooter fragfests that pretend to have variety by including "classes" and whatnot, even though whatever equipment you play with feels the exact same thing.

7. If you can only play one game on one console, what would you choose?
Worms World Party
Because it's lolzy as balls.
or
LittleBigPlanet 2
Because, honestly, that's like having a truckload of mini game packs and an editor in one game.

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 09:41:26

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

Probably Final Fantasy 8, the summons were incredible and the storyline had me attached to the game until I finished it. Even grinding battles never got old.

It was a childhood favorite. I fully agree.

Personally I feel there are different categories for this. It would be between GoldenEye for shooters, FF7 for RPGs, MGS for stealth (the original), and LoZ: OoT for the hack n slash genre.

I honestly don't know. They're all fairly difficult to decide on.

Same answer as above. Too many to compare.

Brown, because the pixels would have made it look like he had a turd on his dome.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 09:47:02

At 5/6/11 04:09 AM, LulzCal wrote:

:I usually try and hold my ground and build a great city instead of mindlessly attacking the enemy. I will build up an army though, as if they do attack or use my resources I will attack back.

That's basically me in every single RTS I play.

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 12:36:08

If you could only play one game on one console, what would it be?

Freespace2.

Although I love descent, the game itself was built for mainly one purpose, to go in a mine and blow everything up. Out of all of my favorite games, FS2 takes the cake. Volition released the source code, so now everyone can mod the fuck out of it, and we already have a huge modding community.
It has an excellent storytelling platform, allowing voice-acting, in-game text (not just communication), music based on events, a huge assortment of sounds, ships, and loadouts, transforming objects, objects within objects, fully customizable ships and weaponry, and did I forget to mention the storytelling?

Backgrounds, lighting, nebulae, voice, communicae, text pretty much anywhere on the screen, special events, music, flash-changes (gray-outs), events that change the course of things, decisions that effect outcomes later on (this is built into the original game, mind you), and the list goes on, and it will get longer.

The SCP team brought this game from 2001 all the way to 2011; well, they have been working on it for a long time.

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 14:32:14

hm... greatest videogame of all time? hm....

call of juarez. DUDE I JUST PLAYED THAT SHIT. for like 4 minutes.

its too fucking awesome.

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-06 15:33:28

I've always enjoyed the GTA series. So probably San Andreas. But I enjoy all of them.

It needs to be replaced by something worth while. I get it, it's a fantastic game. I played it and loved it. But it's been quite awhile in the gaming world since it's release. We need something new.

Minecraft. trollololol.

Some people's videos on Youtube are alright. I don't really search for best games evar.

That one.

I wouldn't have given him a hat.

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-07 05:48:19

Ocarina of time

The game deserves to be at the No. 1 spot

Ocarina of time

Ocarina of time

Final fantasy VII

Silver

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-07 06:04:22

Look, saying 1 specific video game is the best of all time is really unfair seeing as there's a ton of video game genres. Some will argue that FF7 is the best video game of the RPG genre or Metal Slug 4 is the best of the shoot-em-up genre and so forth, but the point is that there will never be a Greatest Video Game of All Time.

Anyways, one of the best video game MMO's I've ever payed would have to be WoW seeing as all the players have to work together to defeat the Horde enemy, which just so happens to be another group of other players working to eliminate you.

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-07 06:16:53

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I've never played it, so I can't really say, though I'm not a fan on Zelda this must do something right as of all the people I see rating it their favourite.

Goldeneye 007

Goldeneye 007

Street Fighter II, fighting games are all so linear and boring.

Yellow.

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-07 09:51:16

Questions of the Day
That would be Final Fantasy VII
A great and wonderfull game, but it should be in 2nd place
Final Fantasy VII

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-07 11:44:52

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day

Pokemon Emerald.

It's fine there.I mean, it's an ok game,but it doesn't exactly deserve it.

Super Mario Galaxy 1+2.It gave the Wii popularity.

Orange and Green.

Friends are like potatoes.If you eat them, they die.-Norweigan Hobo

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-07 23:06:32

Questions of the Day

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

It might be true sells wise, but I could care less about zelda.

Halo 3

Custom it to be the sonic hat "when you pre order Sonic:COLORS from GAMESTOP: POWER TO THE PLAYERS."

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-07 23:56:05

Questions of the Day

Bioshock

It's a fantastic game, so it definitely deserves it

Half-Life 1

DOOM

Resident Evil 4

Blue

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-08 11:09:42

Devil May Cry 3.....ITS JUST TOO COOL!!!!!!
hmmm nahh not my kinda game...not a big zelda fan!!
Metal Gear Solid.....ALL OF THEM!!
Tetris its just a all time classic!
Zelda..i just dont like it!
Hmmm i think i would keep it red it suites you cant change a thing so iconi like that!

BBS Signature

Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-08 19:22:29

Half life or Portal
those games just... changed my out look on what games could be as a whole.
Being able to create a good narritive/exposition without yanking control away from the player is the true test of storytelling capability. (And also quadruples the rate of immersion)

I've never played it or payed much attention to it in general but the way a lot of people are alluding to it would make a person believe that it ended world hunger.

In all honesty, after checking out some gameplay videos I can't really say that it held anything over other 5th generation games out at the time besides some minor RPG elements.

I also think nostalgia drove the deciding factor for this list with a heavy hand.

cmon guy's, I like to entertain myself with a good game of tetris too, but it's a cheap mini game at best

This is kind of interchangible with the 1st question.

Everyone has thier own opinion but for me its the list that put HL2 in first place

cod 4 in first? Kidding me

I would have stolen it and sold it on ebay for 100 $

BBS Signature