Be a Supporter!

The Greatest Video Game Of All Time

  • 1,176 Views
  • 54 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 00:33:03 Reply

Within cinema many critics, film lovers, and others state that Citizen Kane is the greatest film of all time. Although I as well as others do not believe that Citizen Kane is the greatest film of all time we can certainly accept that it's a good movie which I guess is the reason why it is stated as being the greatest.

So what would be considered as the greatest video game of all time. Well there is a website that has been collecting information from many different articles and top tens on what the greatest video game of all time is. Many of the lists have one game in common with one game and that is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Now as with Citizen Kane I as well can accept that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a good game, in fact I think of it as a great game, but at the same time I wouldn't say greatest game of all time, but I can certainly understand while some would think that. The question is though what game would you consider to be the greatest.

Keep in mind that the greatest video game of all time wouldn't be your personal favorite it would be a video game that you critically think is above all others. Now you may hear some people say that there is no such thing as the greatest video game of all time and they are probably right, however that would spoil way too much fun.

If other critics can decide and make us bitch at them, why can't we do the same and bitch at one another?

As for me when I see The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time chosen as either the greatest video game of all time or one of the greatest video games of all time I can accept it, but not much. I will stand behind The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess as taking what "Ocarina of Time" and perfecting it.

If you asked me what the greatest video game of all time would be I would say Tetris. It's the universal game that anyone and everyone can play.

Overall though we don't think of what would be the greatest, we're just excited when one of our personal favorites hits these lists or better yet our all time favorite.

Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?
2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?
3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?
4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?
5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?
6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

The Greatest Video Game Of All Time


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Klik
Klik
  • Member since: Jul. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 00:43:31 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Fallout 3

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

Good at the time, so yeah it deserves it.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

The original super Mario bros., it basically saved home video games

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Ruby red

elcriz000
elcriz000
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 03:06:00 Reply

1. What is your all-time favorite video game?
halo(the first one)
2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?
ok, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was a fantastic game at it's time
3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?
super mario world
4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?
super mario 64
5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?
resident evil 4
6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?
dildo coloured


Iron man is a superhero
Iron woman is a command

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 03:25:33 Reply

This is a cool idea for a thread. That website is interesting, too, if obviously flawed in a lot of ways.

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: we can certainly accept that it's a good movie which I guess is the reason why it is stated as being the greatest.

Nope, that's actually not really the reason. Citizen Kane is frequently cited as the Greatest Movie of All Time mostly because of its influence. Arguably more than any other single film, it helped to establish the language that movies use to tell their stories and/or express their ideas and innovated or refined techniques that have been used by countless films ever since (particularly the use of deep compositions and nonlinear narrative, but there are lots of other things as well).

Basically, if you wanted to, you could split cinematic history into Before Citizen Kane and After Citizen Kane. There's really no other movie you could do that with, except maybe Birth of a Nation, but, you know...

In that respect, I think that there's really only one game that can even be considered as the Greatest of All Time, which I'll talk about farther down in my post. I don't think gaming has quite reached its Citizen Kane yet, but this is certainly our Birth of a Nation (and thankfully it holds up much better to modern sensibilities than the actual Birth of a Nation).

I will stand behind The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess as taking what "Ocarina of Time" and perfecting it.

You encouraged us to bitch at each other, right?

I think that Twilight Princess only improves on Ocarina of Time in a few technological aspects, but that's about it. Other than that, I don't think it refines what OoT did so much as it dumbs it down, and I say this as someone who tends to prefer games that are a little too easy to games that are a little too hard. I dunno, I like TP a lot, but I just don't think it's got the magic. A big part of the problem for me is that the game seems to take a lot of pains to do the things that other modern games do, and it's kind of incongruous and awkward to have things like action set-pieces and quick-time events in a Zelda game.

That big fight on horseback with the goblin dudes was pretty awesome, though, as were some of the clearly Shadow of the Colossus-inspired bosses.

If you asked me what the greatest video game of all time would be I would say Tetris. It's the universal game that anyone and everyone can play.

Good choice. It's definitely in my top 5, maybe even #2 or #3. Though when I think about it purely in the Citizen Kane-y terms I talked about, there's at least one game that I feel has to surpass it...

Overall though we don't think of what would be the greatest, we're just excited when one of our personal favorites hits these lists or better yet our all time favorite.

Yeah, too bad almost none of my personal favorites even make a dent in any of those lists. I'm especially surprised at the lack of love for Chrono Trigger.

Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Shadow of the Colossus. It should be our Citizen Kane, it just isn't because modern mainstream game companies seem to only be taking influence from all the wrong places. But whatever. I can see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's my favorite game of all time.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

It's one of my favorite games, and I understand why it would be chosen, but eh, I can't really agree.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Super Mario Bros. It is the first modern video game, and everything that's come since is in some way indebted to it. It radically altered the basic conception of what a video game could be, in level design, scope, complexity, control, physics, visuals, music, everything. It proved that games were more than just gimmicky diversions, they were a fully formed entertainment medium with the power to immerse audiences and create worlds.

And the game is more or less perfectly designed: challenging but not frustrating, easy to learn and difficult to master, full of secrets and tricks but not overcomplicated, full-featured but not stuffed with extraneous bullshit, and the player's control over Mario's movements was impeccable and unprecedented. Pretty much everything that's there is there for a reason. Just look at the first fifteen seconds or so of World 1-1, arguably the most brilliant little chunk of gameplay ever made. In a matter of seconds, without explicitly telling you anything, the game teaches you everything you need to know about playing Mario, maybe even everything you need to know about playing all video games. What else can claim to do that?

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

I guess "Dorkclub.com," which is a site I've never even heard of before now, had a pretty good one. They even included EarthBound!

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

"Gamer.Blorge," whatever that is. Yikes.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Blue, no, yell-AAAAAAAAAAH!


NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
KiDX05
KiDX05
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 04:07:43 Reply

No MGS in the top 3 fucking shitty list.


BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 04:49:00 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

It's Final Fantasy VII. It's a game I've considered an all-time favourite for a long time now.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

I can see why it's considered the best by many. To me, Ocarina of Time defines the Zelda franchise and made a great transition to 3D environments. However, I don't think it comes without flaws. When I last played it I experienced camera issues as well as a few control responses. Still, it's a game I enjoy and I'd like to get the 3DS just for the remake. Hopefully they correct the issues I had with the game when I last played it.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

There isn't one. There may be a game that many will like the most but even then it can't be considered the greatest. It all comes down to personal preference. FFVII is my all-time favourite and not necessarily the greatest game ever made.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

Any that form their own opinions and come up with interesting ideas.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

IGN by far. Flooding top games lists with Madden games? Get the fuck out of here!

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Red suits him the most.


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

ghdude85
ghdude85
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 06:12:14 Reply

As for me when I see The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time chosen as either the greatest video game of all time or one of the greatest video games of all time I can accept it, but not much. I will stand behind The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess as taking what "Ocarina of Time" and perfecting it.

What Nintendo had in mind while making Twilight Princess was infact how people remembers Ocarina of Time. Many "fans" of the series were complaining about Wind Waker beeing so much lighter and colorful while Ocarina of Time was darker and "more mature". So they made Twilight Princess, and darker Zelda games with ideas collected from the gamers memories.

Twilight Princess is indeed a great game, but I prefer Wind Waker over both Twilight and Ocarina any day. Wind Waker took everything awesome from Ocarina of Time but added sailing over vast seas and a quiet better story which builds up on the story from Ocarina of Time.

If you asked me what the greatest video game of all time would be I would say Tetris. It's the universal game that anyone and everyone can play.

You can't really name 1 greatest game ever, but in the puzzle-game genre, Tetris is indeed the champion.

Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

My all-time favorite? Thats a tough question. But I guess I have to go with Crash Bandicoot. So many childhood memories with that awesome PS1 killer app.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

I can't name one game that is better then everything else, but it is truly a fact that Ocarina of Time is the number 1 adventure game, most because of the influence it had. It is also the best game that went from 2D to 3D.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

As I just said, no game deserves the number 1 sticker to it, but I must say that Metal Gear Solid 3 is way up on the top. One of the best games for PS2. Epic story, good and very believeable characters and a lot of good humor and infact, a very clever game looking at it technicly. It's not many games that can kill off a boss by just waiting a week or headshot him a long time before the actual boss battle.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Green! oh wait...

Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 07:00:45 Reply

1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Half Life 2? I'm not totally sure but thats my answer for now.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

I think its only there because of nostalgia, maybe it is just because I could never beat it as a kid but to be honest it never had a lasting impact on me and I just dislike the whole Zelda game series.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Again I'm not sure, I don't know how to define the greatest game of all time. Maybe Half Life 2 or Portal? Then again Portal is a bit short and if I say Half Life 2 then all the retro/pre-2000 gamers will beat me with a stick...

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

Either Goldeneye or Super Mario 64. I have nostalgia from those games.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

I disagree with a lot of them, but it might just be because I could never get into those sort of games. I still think that Zelda Ocarina of time is mostly nostalgia fueled.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Iunno, blue maybe? I like red better but thats obviously because I'm used to that.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

RyanBustersword123
RyanBustersword123
  • Member since: Nov. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 07:10:46 Reply

well i think that's the worst list ever i have seen... EVER
i played all the games in the top 10 and nothing is in the right place like tetris and stuff because
1 i have NEVER and that's NEVER saw anyone who liked tetris [and is addicted to it]
2 i don't know where zelda goes [honestly] but i would never put in in the top 3
3 final fantasy vii is the best game EVER and you could look that up in google [tried that]

well now i got that out lets talk best game ever

if you like rpg try final fantasy 7 and kingdom hearts[ff 7 best game ever]
if you like shooting rpg try fallout 3 [also nice but not in the top 3]
if you like shooting with an intensive story try mafia 1 [mafia 2 is also good but i would recommend mafia 1 because it has a better story, ending, gameplay]
if you like the GAMEPLAY in shooting play mafia 1[don't be stupid and miss the opportunity because it's the best shooting game i have ever play[better that fallout]]

it's already stupid to rate top 10 because every game has a different emotion,story,gamplay, MEANING.
but everyone should rate the number 1 game ever

unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 07:15:17 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. There is just nothing like it.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

It's been up there far too long, a new game needs to take it's place.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

I'll come back to you when Duke Nukem Forever comes out.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

Resident Evil 4, nice to see a newer generation game on there.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

One of the Final Fantasy's needs to come off.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Plaid

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 07:24:06 Reply

Sorry, questions four and five weren't worded that well. I see what you mean now and for those questions:

I agree with most of them as they seem fairly content. The only ones I disagreed with were Nintendo Power for being too one-sided (I know it's Nintendo but still) and Guinness World Records for having GTA1 at #3. I couldn't get into the topdown GTA games as I felt the games were much better in the 3D environments. It doesn't take long for you to crash into something in the old games while driving fast.


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 07:47:36 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Hard to say, there's a lot of good games but OoT is definitely in my top 10.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

At it's time, it was a great game but it didn't age well. All characters and tutorials are just so annoying these days...

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Didn't you just ask that?

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

Super Mario 64 deserves the second place, and that for a free game...

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

Street Fighter 2

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

It's hard to say, because wel already know Mario and his iconic red hat.

Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 07:51:03 Reply

Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

For me, I think it is TES IV: Oblivion. Morrowind comes in a very close second, and I do love that game almost equally, but I played Oblivion first, so it's a little harder to love the previous game more.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

It's not a game I've played a huge amount of, having never owned a Nintendo console. I have spent a few hours playing it but I would definitely not consider it as the best game ever. There are far more deserving titles out there.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Again, really hard to say. There are so many classic titles out there which I've never had the honour of playing. Deus Ex was a great game, and I've seen it rated as the best game in several polls. It comes close to being my favourite game, but I still don't think I would rate it as the best game ever. Really hard to pick just one game.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?
5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

Due to the sheer amount of lists, I'm going to have to skip out these two questions. I'd waste too much time trawling through them to find those that best and least suit me.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

It looks lovely the way it is.


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 07:53:54 Reply

At 5/4/11 07:51 AM, Dean wrote: For me, I think it is TES IV: Oblivion. Morrowind comes in a very close second, and I do love that game almost equally, but I played Oblivion first, so it's a little harder to love the previous game more.

Why do we love Oblivion so much? It's up there in my top 10 as well, but you gotta agree that it has so many flaws...

Lordboy54
Lordboy54
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 08:52:19 Reply

At 5/4/11 03:06 AM, elcriz000 wrote: 1. What is your all-time favorite video game?
halo(the first one)

i don't know how you could have a favorite game and not even know its name...

Its "HALO: Combat Evolved"


Steam ID | X360 Gamertag: AversiveKnave | ORIGIN: DarkBlue96

BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 09:07:03 Reply

When you look at it (Ocarina of Time) from a technical, visual or playable standpoint, it's so-so at best; what really wins with people is the fact that it's the first truly memorable and massively mainstream Zelda game. Yeah, it's anti-alias 3D at the time blew more minds than Scanners, but that's beside the point; it's not that great a game. Great game, but not THAT great.

like when people say Goldeneye 007 is the best FPS of all-time (OF ALL TIME [jus' sayin']), but when you pop the cart in again it plays sluggishly and ugly? Yeah, it's better to keep nostalgia where it is sometimes; in the past.
Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

I was absolutely head-over-heels in love with Enslaved: Odyssey to the West over it's fantastic story, though the game play is lacking, so that's not it. Earth Defense Force: 2017 has one of the most over-the-top insane gameplay I have ever experienced in a game to this date, but the story (and graphics) play out like a low-budget B-movie.

So for me, it has to be Mass Effect 2 for it's great blend of narrative and gameplay, and for vastly improving on a lot of core features that made the first game highly enjoyable and even more memorable.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

Like I said in the beginning, it's a great game, but not THAT great of a game. True, OoT was one of the first games I remember and grow fond of in my childhood, but all that stopped at the Water Temple...

That god damn Water Temple... over a decade and I still haven't passed it.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

That's a very tough question. I'm gonna go with Portal because it's essentially gaming in it's purest form. You have mind-bending puzzles, mystery, an oft glitchy and mad robot egging you on through a level, suspense, conspiracy, CAKE!?

Basically, this is a game that if not handled by the sentient beings from another galaxy at Valve, this game would have never been nearly as good or memorable. And when you wrap the final scene in the end with the metaphor of relief from the physical world for a tied up GLADoS (it looks like nonsense, but there's form to it), you then get a slightly darker side to the story as well.

Fuck man, I gotta play that game again!

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

I'd have to go with Super Mario 64. It was THE game made for N64 when it came out. Every other game had lots of difficulty mapping to the more-awkward-than-kissing-your-cousin controller, often to the point of unplayability. Super Mario 64 did it seamlessly and made it very fun as well.

Plus it's the first Mario game I ever completed start to finish. So there's that.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

Need I say it again? Goldeneye 007 is a game that's fond to look back on, but not one to revisit. Kind of like senior prom, amirite? No? Just me? Okay...

It's just not fun to play like it was back in 1998, when FPS games were as rampant as smallpox. Admittedly, the reason it isn't that fun anymore is kind of because I've been spoiled by modern FPS games that are more polished and fluid in gameplay, and looking back on it, I never did like James Bond films either.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

I like it red, just as it is.

Also I'm gonna tack on another question.

7. What is the worst game of all-time?

I'm gonna have to say Mario Party. I mean it's a fun game but when you look onward 10 plus years later and see what we have to play on the Wii and DS is a little bit saddening. Mini-games are fun the first 5 times or so. Re-skinning the same game over and over and over again and selling it to us is not fun and not okay. So stop it.

Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 09:37:43 Reply

OOPSIE-DIDDLY. I didn't read the 4th and 5th questions right AT ALL. In my defense, I might technically be retarded so there's that. After researching the lists and thinking about it for a whole 5 minutes, I came to this conclusion.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

The Age Newspaper/LiveWire had a very solid list. Might I add that when choosing the best of these lists, it's pretty much me selecting which one is the least wrong. This list is far from right for me, but it's the closest of all of them.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

The Guiness Book of World Records: Gamer's Edition got it all wrong. Whoever wrote up this list is made of dumb. Super Mario Kart ranked at the tippity? Grand Theft Auto 1 at third!? I rest my case.

Also out of all the lists, there's only mention of Diablo once and no mention of Shadow of the Colossus, which made me very sad.

TuLaGii
TuLaGii
  • Member since: May. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 10:12:12 Reply

1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Gta:San Andreas has to be my favourite. The best GTA :)

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

Im not really a fan of Zelda but i've played it and yeah i think its worthy.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Tbh i can decide without being biased to my favs

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

Ermmmm super mario bros. That game was amazingggg

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

007 Golden eye, far better games out there

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

LOL. Erm, i would of made it a range of mind blowing colours


Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 10:19:15 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Final fantasy III/IV

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

meh.. overrated.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Zelda - a link to the past

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

final fantasy 3/6, zelda lttp, mario 64

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

the first one I guess..

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

YELLOW!

Graduation
Graduation
  • Member since: Sep. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 10:55:50 Reply

At 5/4/11 10:19 AM, Chronamut wrote:
2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?
meh.. overrated.

More like most over rated game on a shit console in history.


BBS Signature
LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 13:31:51 Reply

Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

This is so tough. I don't think I can come up with a number one favourite, but the ones I love the most are-
GTA IV
Zelda OoT
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Elder Scrolls III/IV
Fallout 3
Portal
Super Mario 64
Half Life 2

I'm probably not alone where I say that I cannot come up with an all time favourite. The games I've listed are (IMO) perfect. Some of them may have aged, some may have bugs but in my eyes these have truly defined my, gaming history, if you will. They are the most stand out and memorable games I've ever played. Its only once every so often a game can do that to you.

Sure we have great games that come out yearly, for example Bad Company 2. This was an absolute brilliant game, but it will never stand out as a truly defining moment to me.

I think, there can never be a 'greatest game of all time'. Its up to you, and its up to how well that game has stuck with you throughout the years. It doesn't have to be still playable today, it doesn't have to be completely bug free, but if it stands out in your history of playing video games as special, then that in my eyes is perfect.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

I remember very well playing OoT as a kid. Several times in fact! At the time, it was amazing. Graphically, musically, atmosphere and gameplay wise of course, it excelled in every area. As I mentioned before it that rather lengthy paragraph, a perfect game is a memorable one that sticks with you forever, and OoT has succeeded in that aspect thoroughly well.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Question 1 pretty much lists everything I'd put here.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

They're all fairly similar. I couldn't agree with any. This may sound stubborn, but I agree with the list I put at the top of this post. They IMO are the most perfect games out there, but of course to you, it could be dramatically different. And that's perfectly fine.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

Again, they're all relatively similar.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Mario's symbolic red hat would of been brilliant whatever colour. Mario is one of the most stand out well known characters ever, and even if his hat was blue, then that's what we would have grown with and recognised today.


| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 15:16:39 Reply

It always pisses me off when people choose Tetris.
Sure, anyone could play it, but so fucking what? That's a bullshit reason. Anyone could play Pong, that doesn't make it the best game ever. Anyone could play E.T., that doesn't make it good. Anyone with two hands can play any game ever made. Thinking games like Tetris and Bejeweled are better than, say, Mass Effect just because they're casual is asinine.


last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
darkrchaos
darkrchaos
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 15:32:07 Reply

Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Gex

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

Amazing game but I liked Ocarina of Season more

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

I Don't Know


BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 17:11:02 Reply

At 5/4/11 03:16 PM, Jackho wrote: Thinking games like Tetris and Bejeweled are better than, say, Mass Effect just because they're casual is asinine.

Then it's a good thing that nobody thinks it's better than, say, Mass Effect just because it's casual. Also, who said anything about Bejeweled?

Tetris isn't just a game anyone can play, it's the game anyone can play. There's a reason why it's been remade for just about every platform and why it's probably been played by more people than any other game. It's universal and timeless (Mass Effect, good as it is, is neither), and it might be the only video game that legitimately deserves to mentioned with all of the best games and toys of all time. It's an extremely simple concept that gets more complex the more into it you get and that has endless replay value. It's an extremely difficult thing to achieve, which is why few aside from Alexey Pajitnov have.

If you want to focus exclusively on the "video" part of "video games," then fine, go talk about some wannabe action movie, but just as a game, Tetris is peerless.

Also, explain to me how this is casual.


NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-04 18:51:08 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Ocarina of Time.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

Well, I have never heard of a game that was so widely considered the 'best game of all time' as OoT was at the time when it came out (and the years after). It is truly an epic masterpiece and I find it understandable that it holds the #1 spot.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

I can agree with picking OoT as the best game ever made. In the 15 years I've been playing video games, I have never come across anything better (though some games were close).

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

There is none that really sticks out in my opinion. For most of them I only agree with two or three picks.

I think there are four games that ought to be mentioned and those are Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Final Fantasy VII and Super Mario Bros. Out of all the lists, #24 Nintendo Power (2006) is the only one that comes close (but misses FF VII).

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

I have not played a lot of the mentioned games, so this is difficult, but #26: Famitsu readers' poll (2006) looks like a shitty list to me. A top 10 with four Final Fantasy games and three Dragon Warrior games is just silly.

But there are more lists I find a bit crappy. Some only pick Nintendo games, others only Playstation 1 games and some seem to be too heavily influenced by what was popular at that time. For example, list came out in 2006 and mentions several 2005-2006 games nobody gives a shit about anymore. I saw several of such lists.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Red is fine.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Member since: May. 2, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-05 14:55:45 Reply

1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Tough call, but I'd have to say Megaman Legends.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

Not my personal choice for top spot, but I can see why people would think that way.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Metal Gear Solid. It really was groundbreaking in the fields of gameplay and narrative.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

Number 27, the one with Tetris at the top spot.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

Number 26. Seems to me like someone was sucking Square-Enix's dick.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

What hat? Real men let their hair loose. ;)


When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-05 15:48:08 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day
1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Super Mario Bros. 3 Can't go wrong with a classic.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

It's a good game, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10 all-time.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

This is really a subjective question, because they are so many excellent choices. If I had to pick one, I would go with Pong because it more or less started it all.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

Super Mario 64

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

Final Fantasy 7. It's not the best FF in the series by far IMO. {That would be FF6}

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

Red


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Infamus15
Infamus15
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Audiophile
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-05 15:55:35 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

Descent. Period. This will never change. Ever.
Freespace is just under this.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

I didn't care for it.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

Descent.
Why? It revolutionized gaming with the first ever full 3D graphics engine. Not only that but you could move and look in and on all three axis. Although the game was advanced it was only 15 megs big, and in 1994 could be fit on just about any hard drive.
The weapons where balanced, and the Earthshaker Missile from D2 made the BFG look like a fucking popgun.
The difficulty system did not fuck around. Rather than bombarding you with more annoying enemies, they became more vicious and powerful, and on Insane - the highest - you will die. Period. I can't even get past the second level.
The first level's name is "Ahayweh Gate" which is an acronym of "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here". This is reference to the games originally planed name, Inferno.
The enemy variety was incredible, ranging from basic shooting things, to mach 5 minelayers, suicidal drones, big, hulking missileboats of death, and even enemies that try to claw you to death.
Did I forget to mention the boss robots? They teleport, have unlimited ammo, and some on Descent 2 have weapon immunities (on higher difficulties, most of them do).

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

I ain't looking

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

I ain't looking

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

I wouldn't have changed it.

LulzCal
LulzCal
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-05 16:02:41 Reply

At 5/5/11 03:55 PM, Infamus15 wrote:
At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What is your all-time favorite video game?
Descent. Period. This will never change. Ever.
Freespace is just under this.

Wow, Decent. I remember that. Such a brilliant game!


| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature
FlaminSquirrel
FlaminSquirrel
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Greatest Video Game Of All Time 2011-05-05 17:28:56 Reply

At 5/4/11 12:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What is your all-time favorite video game?

My personal favorite is Banjo-Kazooie. It basically takes a concept like Super Mario 64 along with other platformers & genres and mushes them into probably one of the best if not the best platformer of the 1990s.

2. What are your thoughts on "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" at the No. 1 spot?

I think Ocarina of Time is overrated. Good, yes. I found it really entertaining and for its first bout in 3D with no other action games to really base itself on, it sure did the trick. But I wouldn't go so far as it's the best ever. I've found games that were much more entertaining and offered a lot more than OoT did.

3. What do you think is the greatest game of all time?

I would say Half-Life, out of the fact that it was so different and the gameplay was out of this world. Puzzles, shooting stuff, platforming, all within a thrilling story and events. I would say it would trump Ocarina of Time anytime.

4. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you agree with the most?

The Age Newspaper/LiveWire list IMO was pretty good. It's got a lot of awesome games on there, and Ocarina of Time's on there but not #1. Nice list it be.

5. Out of all of the lists on that website which one do you disagree with the most?

Famitsu's list. I wouldn't say I disagree but I don't really like it. It's either Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest with a few odds and ends in there. Then again, Japan's RPG crazy, so IDK.

6. What color would you have made Mario's hat?

I'd left it red in no other reason besides it just suits him.