PainasaurusRex
PainasaurusRex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 03:08 AM Reply

Okay, I got a question.

What about changing only in terms of feel. It's still the same time signiture, but changing the feel from 6/8 to 6/4 is easy. Though you can't (as far as I know) achieve a time signiture change in FLS 8, I can change the feel.

Also, is it okay, if that time signiture change is just for a measure at a time, then jumps back instantly to the regular time signiture?

Next, what about 4/4 to 2/4, in that order, technically the same as 6/4, so would that count?

I feel this is important since a lot of time signitures are the same just with a different feel to them, 6/8 being triplets and such, but 4/4 being one-two-three-four. Would just like some clarification thank you.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 03:26 AM Reply

At 5/6/11 03:08 AM, PainasaurusRex wrote: Okay, I got a question.

What about changing only in terms of feel. It's still the same time signiture, but changing the feel from 6/8 to 6/4 is easy. Though you can't (as far as I know) achieve a time signiture change in FLS 8, I can change the feel.

You've been able to change time signatures since FL 4. Every pattern can have it's own time signature, if you look at the top left of the step sequencer window there's a little display that says "--", you can drag it up and down to change the length (time signature!) of that particular pattern.

I don't think you can change the project's general time signature though, which is kinda annoying but hardly a deal breaker.

p.s. i am gay

PainasaurusRex
PainasaurusRex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 5/6/11 03:26 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 5/6/11 03:08 AM, PainasaurusRex wrote: Okay, I got a question.

You've been able to change time signatures since FL 4. Every pattern can have it's own time signature, if you look at the top left of the step sequencer window there's a little display that says "--", you can drag it up and down to change the length (time signature!) of that particular pattern.

I don't think you can change the project's general time signature though, which is kinda annoying but hardly a deal breaker.

I'm well aware of the easy way to change the beats per measure, but I'm talking a general time signiture change for the entire song, like you mentioned. So to me, a permanent change would require exporting parts with as a sample and putting them into a song with a different time signiture and doing it from there. Atleast that's the best way I'm aware of.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 03:48 AM Reply

Honestly man I don't know why you'd need to do that other than for convenience for seeing where bars line up, but I guess you could just write the track in different files.

p.s. i am gay

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 12:23 PM Reply

To PainsaurusRex

First, if you want to change between 6/8 to 6/4, you don't need to change signature, all you need to do is double all of the note lengths and spread them out so none of the notes overlap. The only thing that may happen is that the measure might become slightly uneven, but as long as you stay consistent it will eventually even out (I'll try to post an example later)

6/4 may be mathematically the same but not rhythmically. It is a 1-2-3-4-1-2 count, the reason it's different is the fact that you'll have 2 down beats rather than one, if you don't have those down beats then you might as well stick to calling it 6/4

6/8 is NOT triplets. Triplets are 1/3 of the beat it falls on. 8 th notes are 1/2 the length of quarter notes (the 4 in 6/4). Be carful of getting note values mixed up or you might get yourself caught in a mathematical and rhythmic nightmare lol

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 01:52 PM Reply

yeah you don't need to do anything - it's all in the piano roll - all that changes the time signature is the way it chops up the bars.. you are still at the end of the day workign with 1/8 and 1/4 notes.. its just how many and how you group them that changes.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 02:34 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 03:48 AM, midimachine wrote: Honestly man I don't know why you'd need to do that other than for convenience for seeing where bars line up, but I guess you could just write the track in different files.

that'd be unnecessary. If you use FL Studio, you can switch through time signatures through the 'beats per bar for this pattern' thing. I use it all the time for songs I never release because it's hard to get time signature swaps to work seamlessly :P

Kayoszx
Kayoszx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 03:51 PM Reply

I like the sounds of this contest.
I'll join in for sure ;P
Gonna make a hardcore rock song with some interestingly timed riffs ;D
I haven't really done anything other than 4/4, so this should be fun heheh

My songs on [Newgrounds]
My songs on [Soundcloud]
My newest song [Here]

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 02:34 PM, Spikrodd wrote: that'd be unnecessary. If you use FL Studio, you can switch through time signatures through the 'beats per bar for this pattern' thing. I use it all the time for songs I never release because it's hard to get time signature swaps to work seamlessly :P

I already told him that and he said he didn't want to so he's shit out of luck :<

p.s. i am gay

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:22 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 03:51 PM, Kayoszx wrote: I like the sounds of this contest.
I'll join in for sure ;P
Gonna make a hardcore rock song with some interestingly timed riffs ;D
I haven't really done anything other than 4/4, so this should be fun heheh

Yay something other than electronic or jazz!! :P

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 6th, 2011 @ 10:33 PM Reply

Just noticed someone posted a WIP for this. Is it cool if we do this?

The track in question was coming along quite nicely too :)

p.s. i am gay

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 7th, 2011 @ 02:59 AM Reply

At 5/6/11 10:33 PM, midimachine wrote: Just noticed someone posted a WIP for this. Is it cool if we do this?

Lol where did they? And it's fine as long as by the end of this, they have edited the name so it isn't a WIP song

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 7th, 2011 @ 03:27 AM Reply

If I do upload a WIP i'll probably delete the first one then upload the final version. This is okay y/n?

p.s. i am gay

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 7th, 2011 @ 08:23 PM Reply

In any case, I posted a WIP, wondering if my micromesure variations are eligible in this contest. If not, I'll just throw down variations in the second part!

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 7th, 2011 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 5/7/11 03:27 AM, midimachine wrote: If I do upload a WIP i'll probably delete the first one then upload the final version. This is okay y/n?

If you do make a WIP, and plan on doing that, don't post it in the submission thread, post it in the advertisment or WIP thread, and post the final in the sub thread, that'll help keep things clean in that thread

mrmcduts
mrmcduts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 8th, 2011 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 5/6/11 10:33 PM, midimachine wrote: Just noticed someone posted a WIP for this. Is it cool if we do this?

was that mine? lol
but yeah i just upload wip's for contests to get an early opinion,
i don't actually post them on the thread until they are done :P

and thanks btw ;D

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 8th, 2011 @ 10:04 PM Reply

No worries, broski. Now I went and upload my own WIP cause I'm at a bit of a dead end with it. I'll probably take it down in a couple days, though.

I was also wondering if resolving to 4/4 in a clever way won't make me lose marks, will it?

p.s. i am gay

mrmcduts
mrmcduts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 9th, 2011 @ 01:26 AM Reply

At 5/8/11 10:04 PM, midimachine wrote: No worries, broski. Now I went and upload my own WIP cause I'm at a bit of a dead end with it. I'll probably take it down in a couple days, though.

I was also wondering if resolving to 4/4 in a clever way won't make me lose marks, will it?

i don't see why you would lose points for that lol,

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 9th, 2011 @ 03:04 AM Reply

At 5/8/11 10:04 PM, midimachine wrote: No worries, broski. Now I went and upload my own WIP cause I'm at a bit of a dead end with it. I'll probably take it down in a couple days, though.

That's fine as long as it doesn't permanently stay there, but i wouldn't worry to much about losing points at this second, you still have plenty of time when we judge the submissions :3

Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 9th, 2011 @ 04:00 PM Reply

Haaaa, why couldn't you have this compo back in November when I was all over submitting Crystal Snail remixes? Yeah, when it comes to time signature changes that would've dominated you all (13/16 mixed in with 3/4 & 4/4, oh yeah).

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have the time for this one, but I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone comes up with.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 9th, 2011 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 5/9/11 04:00 PM, Gario wrote: Haaaa, why couldn't you have this compo back in November when I was all over submitting Crystal Snail remixes? Yeah, when it comes to time signature changes that would've dominated you all (13/16 mixed in with 3/4 & 4/4, oh yeah).

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have the time for this one, but I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone comes up with.

you woulda been disqualified anyways as NACs don't allow remixes unless specifically stated.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 9th, 2011 @ 04:52 PM Reply

Really? I didn't see that in the general rules, but you'd know best in that case (for those less familiar with this compo like myself perhaps make that point clear in the rules...?). I can make an argument that this particular NAC specifically opens itself to all genres, but it'd be a moot point since even if I did join (I still might, you never know) I wouldn't submit a VG remix, anyway.

All that aside, I wish the participants the best. Go knock em' out with your mixed meter madness.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 9th, 2011 @ 06:00 PM Reply

At 5/9/11 04:52 PM, Gario wrote: Really? I didn't see that in the general rules, but you'd know best in that case (for those less familiar with this compo like myself perhaps make that point clear in the rules...?). I can make an argument that this particular NAC specifically opens itself to all genres, but it'd be a moot point since even if I did join (I still might, you never know) I wouldn't submit a VG remix, anyway.

All that aside, I wish the participants the best. Go knock em' out with your mixed meter madness.

If you read the rules for the individual contest you would have seen this clearly

At 5/2/11 12:04 AM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
Requirements:
3.)NO REMIX'S OR COVERS! Even if it is one of your own songs, it is not an original for this contest.

I even Capitalized it, in the first post of THIS thread. The general rules are more for the person designing the contest, and for some extra info for the people so that the Wall-o-text in every contest is just a little shorter.

Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 10th, 2011 @ 12:54 AM Reply

tl;dr. Sorry for missing that.

Don't worry, I'm not submitting anything of the sort - for one, even if I were tempted to do so, I wouldn't be able to submit any VG remixes due to them not being written FOR this competition, time stamps, etc. My post on submitting it was entirely tongue in cheek, so sorry for giving the wrong impression (though I authentically did miss your non-remix clause in this particular remix).

In short, I'm blind. Urgh, after all the confusion I seemed to cause I almost feel obligated to sign up just to make things better... if only I had the time to do sooooooo... :(

AndyLau
AndyLau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 10th, 2011 @ 12:57 AM Reply

At 5/10/11 12:54 AM, Gario wrote: tl;dr

No excuse... impatient illiteracy has gots to stop

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 10th, 2011 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 5/10/11 12:54 AM, Gario wrote: tl;dr. Sorry for missing that.

Don't worry, I'm not submitting anything of the sort - for one, even if I were tempted to do so, I wouldn't be able to submit any VG remixes due to them not being written FOR this competition, time stamps, etc. My post on submitting it was entirely tongue in cheek, so sorry for giving the wrong impression (though I authentically did miss your non-remix clause in this particular remix).

In short, I'm blind. Urgh, after all the confusion I seemed to cause I almost feel obligated to sign up just to make things better... if only I had the time to do sooooooo... :(

lol if you had read the first sentence you would have read this

At 5/2/11 12:04 AM, Kirbyfemur wrote: *If you post TL;DR, then you probably will end up being disqualified since you probably will miss information that could help or keep you in the competition.*

I would love you to join, just make sure that in the future you actually read ALL of the rules, or you might not have the niceness that you're getting from us

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 10th, 2011 @ 02:19 PM Reply

Well I've scrapped my jazz idea, mostly because I don't like jazz. So I'm reverting back to my first idea, piano music. I'm working mostly in 7/8 with a little section in 4/4, but the transition is smooth, so you'll hardly notice it :D

Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 10th, 2011 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 5/10/11 01:59 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: I would love you to join, just make sure that in the future you actually read ALL of the rules, or you might not have the niceness that you're getting from us

*takes a bow*

Will do, for future references.

MisterSambert
MisterSambert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 14th, 2011 @ 02:29 AM Reply

i plan on entering this contest. this post is so i can find the thread later.

Good day.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 14th, 2011 @ 02:36 AM Reply

At 5/14/11 02:29 AM, MisterSambert wrote: i plan on entering this contest. this post is so i can find the thread later.

Good day.

Wooo!!! Hopefully people will post enough so you wont have to search to far :3