New Topic Respond to this Topic
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:04 AM Reply

*If you post TL;DR, then you probably will end up being disqualified since you probably will miss information that could help or keep you in the competition.*

Do not post songs in this thread

For info on the basic structure of the NAC Contests, go to (NAC GENERAL INFO AND DISSCUSION)

With all of these Genre and style based contest being thrown about, a few people might feel a bit left out, since quite frankly it can be hard to enter a contest in a genre you have never tried. So here is a contest that any one and everyone can join, but there is one major catch, or even multiple...

Time Signatures!

Most of you are probably used to only sticking to a simple 4/4, ¾, 6/8 or 8/8 time structure, and only using that throughout the entire song. But have you ever thought to venture into something either a bit more complex, or even *gasp * changing mid song? "How can I do that, I am only aloud to build a beat within the lines!" That is easy, but up to you to figure out. If you have trouble however, there are people out there who might be able to help. (Send me a PM or if any of the other judges that say they'll help out as well)

This Contest was made for the purpose of expanding the knowledge of the everyday Newgrounds Musician/Producer. Because sometimes a person will get to comfortable with doing the same thing for so long that once they are presented with a challenge you might not be able to give them what they need. So this is a good opportunity not only for you newbies, but even for some of the more experienced users to prove they can do more than just the same.

The fact that no real genre has coined Time Sig Changing as their thing, anyone can join, and I do mean anyone, even you out there who do electronica and techno, just remember, you'll have to try hard not to use that 4 on the floor beat!

From Today until May 22th 11:59PM (Pacific )/2:59AM(Eastern), you will have plenty of time to work on your songs. Make sure that if you posted a song as a work in progress that you rename it before the end, your song might be looked past if there is a close tie or difficulty in choosing the better song.

From May 23rd until may 30th, the judges will search through the submissions, and figure out the top submissions. A Top 8 will be announced on the 28th and the live reveal show will be on the first of next month.

Requirements:

1.)Must be a song, and not a bunch of random sound effects.
2.)Vocals Samples are great! If you are the one who recorded them. Your submission may be disqualified or docked points if you use samples straight from someone else song (Individual instrument samples are fine as long as you are not using loops, but individual notes and beats)
3.)NO REMIX'S OR COVERS! Even if it is one of your own songs, it is not an original for this contest.
4.)All submissions must be submitted after the posting of the Submission thread
5.)Songs must be submitted on the date given (Unless you PM me with good reason BEFORE the date)
6.)Please use your main account if possible
7.)One song is the limit to the amount you can submit.
8.)Songs must be at least 2 minutes long, however there is no real limit to the length otherwise. (If you are confused by this, just ask)
9.)Any Genre is allowed!
10.)Put "TimeSig2011" into your description so that we can better keep track of everyone

Things That will provide Bonus Points and or judge Likingnessness

1.)A mixture of complexity and simplicity
2.)Smoothness in time transitions
3.)No 4 on the floor drum/percussion kick lines
4.)The ability to keep things fairly unchaotic with the way it is structured.
5.)Mixing/Mastering
6.)No preset Instruments
7.)Unique sounds and melodies
8.)Individual Judges likingness(They will either say what it is or not)
9.)Blowjobs always help too (But not required)
10.)If your song isn't posted within a few hours or few days of the beginning of the contest
11.)More will be given by other judges as they please

Breakdown of Awards
1st Place: $50.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 1st place sig (optional)
2nd Place: $40.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 2nd place sig (optional)
3rd place: $30.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 3rd place sig (optional)
4th place: weekly feature, reviewed by all judges
5th place: reviewed by all judges
6th place: reviewed by all judges
7th place: reviewed by all judges
8th place: reviewed by all judges

At the end there will be a live revealing of the winners, and a showcasing of all/some(Depending on the amount of submissions) of the submissions, so you will be getting extra exposure just for participating, so that is double incentive to joining!

Also, make sure to pay attention to future postings on this thread as more information may be added. I will try to have the new information be posted on the first or second post of every page, but it will help if you keep up to date with the competition, just in case.

As I said, if you are confused on the details, feel free to ask, and we will try to explain it as best as we can. The Judges will be announced once they have been established fully.

End Post, begin Discussion
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Tzunami
Tzunami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:13 AM Reply

Working in odd time signatures sounds like a great idea. If I can come up with something I'll surely enter this. First thing I need to do is look into songs that have been made in odd time signatures and go from there.

I should ask though: the more complex the time signature, the better, correct?

In terms of learning experience

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:20 AM Reply

At 5/2/11 12:13 AM, Tzunami wrote: Working in odd time signatures sounds like a great idea. If I can come up with something I'll surely enter this. First thing I need to do is look into songs that have been made in odd time signatures and go from there.

The more complex the better yes, but also the incorporation of a change in time signature, whether that is a permanent change or only a change for a short breakdown or solo of some sort :3

Tzunami
Tzunami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:24 AM Reply

At 5/2/11 12:20 AM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
At 5/2/11 12:13 AM, Tzunami wrote: Working in odd time signatures sounds like a great idea. If I can come up with something I'll surely enter this. First thing I need to do is look into songs that have been made in odd time signatures and go from there.

The more complex the better yes, but also the incorporation of a change in time signature, whether that is a permanent change or only a change for a short breakdown or solo of some sort :3

Sounds like a plan. I'm already looking into 7/4, as I know you can get some pretty heroic results from that. As for a change into another.. I'll have to do some searching..

BBS Signature
Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:36 AM Reply

Does it has to be only one time signature , or can it be like mixed up?? like changing to a new time signature like every 10 seconds.

Fuck labels , you don't need them.

Tzunami
Tzunami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:38 AM Reply

At 5/2/11 12:36 AM, Acid-Paradox wrote: Does it has to be only one time signature , or can it be like mixed up?? like changing to a new time signature like every 10 seconds.

If you pull that off, I shall call you awesome.

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:38 AM Reply

At 5/2/11 12:36 AM, Acid-Paradox wrote: Does it has to be only one time signature , or can it be like mixed up?? like changing to a new time signature like every 10 seconds.

It can, however, you have to be careful about the smoothness of it all, however, adding humor might give you some points just for being silly, but listen ability helps a little.

So to put it shortly, i would love to see what you would come up with with that idea xP

UncleSqueezins
UncleSqueezins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:42 AM Reply

Sounds interesting. Expect something from me :D

So just for clarification...requirement #5 said that all songs are to be submitted on May 22nd, so we can't submit our entries before that date? Just seems a little odd to me.

Check me out on: YouTube l Soundcloud l Facebook

Newest song: The Little Trap That Could

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 5/2/11 12:42 AM, UncleSqueezins wrote: Sounds interesting. Expect something from me :D

So just for clarification...requirement #5 said that all songs are to be submitted on May 22nd, so we can't submit our entries before that date? Just seems a little odd to me.

Lol" by", sorry, the on was more just to say that's when we have until Sorry for the confusion on that one lol

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:46 AM Reply

Make anything and everything. This comp has my blessing. Can I judge?

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 5/2/11 12:46 AM, Quarl wrote: Make anything and everything. This comp has my blessing. Can I judge?

Of Course, and if you can think of more people who would like to judge that would be great, since there will be a wide variety of genres hopefully :)

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 01:16 AM Reply

I'm really looking forward to this contest - I've been writing piano etudes recently, and I just started writing #6 specifically for this contest... but I'm not gonna give away my super secret time signature! :D

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 01:25 AM Reply

I tried to do a time signature style contest once... Everyone submitted songs with tempo changes instead.

So, I'ma help out here... Tempo change =/= Time signature change.

Look forward to hearing the submissions, I love songs with weird time signatures... Is why I love bands like Dream Theater/Between the Buried and Me/Protest the Hero.

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:50 AM Reply

So yeah I decided to write/record something for this instead of judging. Have fun, Quarl :)

p.s. i am gay

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 03:20 AM Reply

*knocks champaigne battle on thread*

I give this my NAC stamp of approval :P

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 05:35 AM Reply

I might actually take part in this. Sure I have GCSE's but I'll see if I can fit in time. I doubt I can, but I just thought of an idea for this while in the shower and it's too good an opportunity to miss :(.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 07:26 AM Reply

SOOOO what time signatures are you guys thinking of using?

I've started something in 7/8 (mostly). Much fun!

p.s. i am gay

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 07:40 AM Reply

At 5/2/11 05:35 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: I might actually take part in this. Sure I have GCSE's but I'll see if I can fit in time. I doubt I can, but I just thought of an idea for this while in the shower and it's too good an opportunity to miss :(.

If you have time to shower, you have time to make music.
That's my motto.

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 01:34 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 07:40 AM, FairSquare wrote:
At 5/2/11 05:35 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: I might actually take part in this. Sure I have GCSE's but I'll see if I can fit in time. I doubt I can, but I just thought of an idea for this while in the shower and it's too good an opportunity to miss :(.
If you have time to shower, you have time to make music.
That's my motto.

Hmmm, shower or music? Why not both at the same time!!! Wrap dat shit up in a giant ziplock bag and get to work!!!!

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 01:49 PM Reply

pfft - musicians don't SHOWER - they don't sleep either - all musician devote 150% of their time to their music, until they have a nervous mental breakdown or OD on drugs.

DUH.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:34 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 07:26 AM, midimachine wrote: SOOOO what time signatures are you guys thinking of using?

9/8, alternating 5/8 and 6/8 (could be considered 11/8 but I wouldn't do that if I were you), and also 10/8 are pretty fun.

I like 5/8 and 7/8 but I don't know if that alone is ambitious enough for this contest... :P

aka SBB! I'm not on Newgrounds anymore, but you can find me here:
Youtube | Soundcloud | Facebook

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:37 PM Reply

I'm still a big fan of 15/8.. but that can be fucking weird.

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:37 PM Reply

Or, the most impressive thing is maybe to have no identifiable time signature at all. Claude Debussy had a bunch of such compositions

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:39 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 02:37 PM, SBB wrote: Or, the most impressive thing is maybe to have no identifiable time signature at all. Claude Debussy had a bunch of such compositions

just play everythnig live and randomly speed and slow things up. Then you can claim you are using all manner of silly and ridiculous time signatures :P

eventually all the judges will have is mud to judge.

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 02:37 PM, Chronamut wrote: I'm still a big fan of 15/8.. but that can be fucking weird.

is that like... 5 groups of 3
or 3 groups of 4 and then 1 group of 3

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 02:40 PM, SBB wrote:
At 5/2/11 02:37 PM, Chronamut wrote: I'm still a big fan of 15/8.. but that can be fucking weird.
is that like... 5 groups of 3
or 3 groups of 4 and then 1 group of 3

5 groups of 3.

I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 03:11 PM Reply

I'm working in 7/4 and 5/4 with tidbits in 7/8. Right now it sounds like a mess... there's a good chance it won't make it through, so we'll see what happens.

Also I'm not telling the genre :)

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ng2011 Time Sig Contest Discussion May. 2nd, 2011 @ 03:14 PM Reply

At 5/2/11 03:11 PM, Spikrodd wrote: I'm working in 7/4 and 5/4 with tidbits in 7/8. Right now it sounds like a mess... there's a good chance it won't make it through, so we'll see what happens.

Also I'm not telling the genre :)

Lol you have nearly a month to perfect it, i wouldn't be so worried right now since you have so long ;3