New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chando
Chando
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 09:26 PM Reply

I recently had a pretty nasty argument with an acquaintance of mine. We're both in the school band. I play percussion, he plays saxophone and piano. I was talking to people about how excited I was that I'd finally gotten FL Studio and was putting out some music. I thought I was doing pretty well. And this kid saunters up to me and starts asking me all these shit questions like, "Do you own a mic setup?", "Do you use a MIDI for all your melodies?", "Did you rip all your beats?", "How many packs have you used?". I was hurt, because he started insulting my songs because they were "fake". He said if I didn't have the talent to record all of the instruments on my own, then I shouldn't be making music.

I use the piano roll mainly, some MIDI for melodies, and download some samples every now and then. Does that make me less of an artist than everyone else on Audio Portal? I'm beginning to think it does.... What does everyone else think?

Xyresic
Xyresic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 09:32 PM Reply

I use piano roll for EVERYTHING that requires more than 1 note, ALL my drums are samples, I don't even own a MIDI input or a mic. An artist is not be defined by what he uses, but by what he creates.

bork bork bork

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 09:33 PM Reply

Tell the kid that he's an idiot. Tiesto, Deadmau5, Daft Punk... Well... any electronic artist in the world really, they all use software to create their music (A few of them even use FL as I understand it). And I'd bet some of them don't know how to play any live instrument (Keyboard excluded, as most electronic artists use a MIDI keyboard to input their ideas).

As for compared to the rest of newgrounds, 90% (Lulz stats) of newgrounds writes generic electronic music, and the majority of that 90% probably don't even own a MIDI keyboard.

Don't let tools like that get you down, a creative mind with a single piece of software can write better music any day than a bumbling idiot with thousands of dollars worth of equipment.
Besides... my former best friend was much like the kid you just described, he trampled all over the one thing I loved to do in life (Music, duh)... And guess what... I threw his ass to the curb and kept writing music.

On the other hand, you will have to toughen that hide of yours up if you want to go anywhere as a musician. As with any form of art, people can be extremely harsh, and no matter what you do, there will always be people who hate what you make.

But keep that chin up.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
BigRed
BigRed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 09:45 PM Reply

"He said if I didn't have the talent to record all of the instruments on my own, then I shouldn't be making music."

That's hilarious. Ask him if he made his instruments, and tell him that if he doesn't have the talent to make his instruments he shouldn't be playing them.

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 10:18 PM Reply

You seriously have got to grow a spine or people are going to walk all over you. I believe that a lot of that comes from one's own skill level, and being really really good also tends to make people less likely to criticize you. Work your ass off until your so good at making music using whatever the goddamn hell you want to use that he looks like a toddler playing on a toy piano, and then you can just ignore him like the meaningless, annoying speck of dirt that he is.

It is one thing to accept criticism and use it to improve yourself. It is another thing entirely to let an asshole get to you. While being able to see the mistakes in your own work and listening to outside criticism is absolutely crucial to becoming a talented artist in pretty much anything, listening to people who tell you that your dreams suck doesn't accomplish anything. Its your life, you can do whatever the hell you want with it, assholes be damned. This really applies to everything in general - if you give life a chance, its going to rape you in the ass. Do not give it that chance.

GoreBastard
GoreBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 09:32 PM, crapatflash wrote: An artist is not be defined by what he uses, but by what he creates.

I think Batman said something like that once.

At 4/18/11 09:45 PM, BigRed wrote: That's hilarious. Ask him if he made his instruments, and tell him that if he doesn't have the talent to make his instruments he shouldn't be playing them.

Win.

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 10:50 PM Reply

Like B-F-P said, lots of people just use a computer for most of their shit.
I think DeadMau5 does, he's getting really famous now.

Don't listen to him, keep doing your thing.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

TIMarbury
TIMarbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 11:10 PM Reply

lolololol he is just mad that he plays his little instruments all day long and at the end of the day he is left with nothing because he can't make songs to send to record labels since he is incapable of recording a piece. Keep doing what you do and tell him he has no sense of the times. Computer software synthesizers is where the music industry is headed if it is headed anywhere at all.

http://soundcloud.com/timarbury PM me here or there if you want to use anything. thanks

lazy-dave
lazy-dave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 11:17 PM Reply

lololol what a fool. All my music is used with the piano roll, and just because you didn't play it doesn't mean you're not a musician. I'm pretty sure some genres of music are based on sampling, not that it's not music but you don't usually play the stuff you sample.

Just Chill

BBS Signature
MJTTOMB
MJTTOMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 11:29 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 09:26 PM, Chando wrote: I recently had a pretty nasty argument with an acquaintance of mine. We're both in the school band. I play percussion, he plays saxophone and piano. I was talking to people about how excited I was that I'd finally gotten FL Studio and was putting out some music. I thought I was doing pretty well. And this kid saunters up to me and starts asking me all these shit questions like, "Do you own a mic setup?", "Do you use a MIDI for all your melodies?", "Did you rip all your beats?", "How many packs have you used?". I was hurt, because he started insulting my songs because they were "fake". He said if I didn't have the talent to record all of the instruments on my own, then I shouldn't be making music.

I use the piano roll mainly, some MIDI for melodies, and download some samples every now and then. Does that make me less of an artist than everyone else on Audio Portal? I'm beginning to think it does.... What does everyone else think?

If it makes you feel any better, I started out writing my compositions using the piano roll feature in garageband.

Next Fall I'm going to be studying classical composition at a music conservatory.

So really, just keep working, and keep your focus on what you know you have to do, not on what others tell you you should do.

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 09:26 PM, Chando wrote: "Do you use a MIDI for all your melodies"

Oh gawd he's so right I don't EVEN USE A MIDI FOR ALL MAI MELODIES.

It's so hopeless, I just know I'll never be a real composer now :'(

boney-man
boney-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 11:39 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 09:26 PM, Chando wrote: I use the piano roll mainly, some MIDI for melodies, and download some samples every now and then. Does that make me less of an artist than everyone else on Audio Portal? I'm beginning to think it does.... What does everyone else think?

Why would you think it makes you less of an artist than everyone else here? This is electronic music; using software is what we do. I don't understand how someone can call you less of an artist just because you don't record live instruments. Electronic music is just a different form of art. I get this stuff sometimes too - people saying that my music isn't "real" music because it's made on a computer and uses samples. You just have to ignore those people and keep doing what you love to do man - they don't have half the talent you do, and they don't understand what art is.

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 18th, 2011 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 11:33 PM, joshhunsaker wrote:
It's so hopeless, I just know I'll never be a real composer now :'(

brokendeck still loves you :P

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 12:09 AM Reply

At 4/18/11 09:26 PM, Chando wrote: Typical argument of analogue VS electronic

What does everyone else think?

I think you should link him to this thread, and he can decide if he wants to be aware of the shallow view point he stands from, or he can decide he's just better then people on the internet and pretend we're all idiots incapable of playing a saxamaphoneroon-a-tube.

Don't let someone get you down, as others have said, you'll come across people who just belittle what you do. I'll reflect my own opinion on the matter though, this is criticism and you should take it for what it is (don't get upset). Electronic music doesn't make you 'less of an artist', but your music in particular is pretty simple, and highly evident of a newcomer to composing with a computer. I don't know if he heard it, but typically people who aren't extensively accustomed to their equipment are not particularly artistic, because they simply don't have the ability to do as they please within the electronic medium.

That being said, anything takes time to learn, so that is to be expected.

Mr.Guy you know may play instruments, but he's likely not capable of performing or writing entire pieces on his own.

BBS Signature
Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 10:02 AM Reply

Huh, I wonder if Wagner was a true artist or not. He didn't record or perform with instruments at all. All he ever did was write operas on a score and got everyone else to do the work.

According to your friend, there are quite a few composers that wouldn't be artists. Instrumentalists are fine, but there is more to writing music than playing an instrument, and it's very immature to believe otherwise.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Decibel
Decibel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 10:50 PM, EpicFail wrote: Like B-F-P said, lots of people just use a computer for most of their shit.

deadmau5 switched to Ableton if I'm not mistaken.

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 01:15 PM Reply

At 4/19/11 12:48 PM, Decibel wrote:
At 4/18/11 10:50 PM, EpicFail wrote: Like B-F-P said, lots of people just use a computer for most of their shit.

deadmau5 switched to Ableton if I'm not mistaken.

Deadmau5 uses FL Studio, Reason, Cubase and some other stuff, and then mixes it all in Ableton. At least, that's what he said in an interview.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
SteveGuzzi
SteveGuzzi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Writer
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 02:23 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 09:45 PM, BigRed wrote: Ask him if he made his instruments, and tell him that if he doesn't have the talent to make his instruments he shouldn't be playing them.

hahahahaha that's pretty clever

BBS Signature
seel
seel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 03:01 PM Reply

It's funny to see how butthurt this makes people. Some retarded 15 year old kid who thinks he's the shit was obviously trying to act all cool as if he's some kind of professional sound engineer, obviously he doesn't know what the shit he's talking about.

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 03:55 PM Reply

The fact that I can make music from both loops and my own made sounds makes music production so fucking amazing. I would blast anyone with piss talking how much possibilities there are using software..

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 04:02 PM Reply

Haha, don't worry. He's just butthurt he can't be as awesome as you are.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 4/19/11 10:02 AM, Gario wrote: According to your friend, there are quite a few composers that wouldn't be artists. Instrumentalists are fine, but there is more to writing music than playing an instrument, and it's very immature to believe otherwise.

^ I think this pretty succinctly sums up all that needs to be said.

Chippix
Chippix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 04:33 PM Reply

your more of a creative musician than he is in my books

Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 09:26 PM, Chando wrote: I recently had a pretty nasty argument with an acquaintance of mine. We're both in the school band. I play percussion, he plays saxophone and piano. I was talking to people about how excited I was that I'd finally gotten FL Studio and was putting out some music. I thought I was doing pretty well. And this kid saunters up to me and starts asking me all these shit questions like, "Do you own a mic setup?", "Do you use a MIDI for all your melodies?", "Did you rip all your beats?", "How many packs have you used?". I was hurt, because he started insulting my songs because they were "fake". He said if I didn't have the talent to record all of the instruments on my own, then I shouldn't be making music.

Fuck that guy.

Classically trained musicians are very talented individuals attempting to emulate what we can do with ease using digital grid snap level precision. In fact it's so easy for us and so hard for them that to make our music sound "real" we have to fuck up the quantization on purpose a lot of the time.

If he thinks music isn't music unless a person is playing it live on an instrument then he's an elitist snob who needs to learn a thing or two. A real artist isn't afraid to use any sound they can find or make (that they're allowed to use, unless this real artist doesn't intend to be living off of his art and/or outside of jail) to produce their music. My favorite example? Armin Van Buuren's latest feature album (no his compilations don't count :p) Mirage's title track - it uses an 80 piece orchestra recorded live and some traditional rock instrumentals, also recorded live, set into a studio-made electronic backdrop. He wanted his music to have electronic dance roots with a huge orchestral breakdown and an electric guitar so he took them all and put them together and if that ain't what music is all about then I don't know what is.

TL;DR - an artist is defined by his ends, not his means. Unless those means were illegal sampling then his ass is going to jail.

supaflea74
supaflea74
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 07:05 PM Reply

You can tell that guy music's only limitation is artistic interpretation.

I saw That One Guy play an enormous pipe with a bass string strung through it, looped effects, a synth kick drum, and a violin bow. He even had an quarter inch audio input for his boot.

The only qualm i have with FL studio or sequencers or computer based music in general is that they tend be a crutch for talentless hacks. Not that shitty guitarists are really all that different, throw down some distortion and play some scales and someone is bound to think its awesome when its not.

You can use FL to make really cool original songs, or shitty techno wank fests. So long as you put effort into the former, anyone who tells you you suck because of your medium needs to get their head screwed on straight.

Chando
Chando
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 19th, 2011 @ 08:57 PM Reply

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. It means a lot that you listened to my whine-fest. I'm gonna keep my chin up and keep producing. See you all around the portal. :)

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 20th, 2011 @ 12:02 AM Reply

At 4/19/11 08:57 PM, Chando wrote: Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. It means a lot that you listened to my whine-fest. I'm gonna keep my chin up and keep producing. See you all around the portal. :)

Chando, that kid is an idiot. He has an inferiority complex and is just jealous that you're more creative than him and he spent half his life practicing an instrument (a noble thing, yes, but different than composing).

On top of that, he's taking a classical approach, which is ridiculous because the greatest classical composers whether past or present ALL write their music either on paper or in notation programs. They don't play every instrument in the orchestra, they just know how to write for each instrument.

Sequencing is an instrument in and of itself. If your goal is to make good electronic music, you're set with the tools you have. In fact, you may not know that many of the world's TOP hiphop and techno/electronica producers can barely play instruments, but are masters of their craft and create great tracks in their genre regardless. So you're in good company.

People always think I use a MIDI keyboard controller to make all my tracks, but I only started doing that recently. If you want examples, feel free to check out my tracks. Basically everything before 2010 was made entirely with a mouse and computer keyboard. Even my latest tracks are mostly sequenced by hand, because I've built up a proficiency taking ideas from mind to MIDI that way. The piano controller is extremely useful but not always necessary.

Anyway that kid is dumb, ignore him.

Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 20th, 2011 @ 12:35 AM Reply

At 4/19/11 07:05 PM, supaflea74 wrote: The only qualm i have with FL studio or sequencers or computer based music in general is that they tend be a crutch for talentless hacks. Not that shitty guitarists are really all that different, throw down some distortion and play some scales and someone is bound to think its awesome when its not.

Yeah. Nothing wrong with it being a starting point though. Lots of artists started with FL and while many are still making as said earlier "generic crap," some have differentiated themselves from the pack and are moving ahead.

There's nothing like a cheap, easy and powerful as hell tool to get people interested in something that they may want to pursue much further than originally intended.

Plus, ask any really good or professional producer: EVERYONE produced crap when they started out! It's just who decides they want to get better and who gives up! ;)

WerewNC
WerewNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 20th, 2011 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 4/18/11 09:26 PM, Chando wrote: Boo hoo

I play the saxophone, clarinet, piano, and guitar. Do me a favor and refer you friend to this site, would ya?

I blame the drugs.

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to So what, am I not an artist? Apr. 20th, 2011 @ 08:13 PM Reply

At 4/20/11 07:58 PM, WerewNC wrote:
At 4/18/11 09:26 PM, Chando wrote: Boo hoo
I play the saxophone, clarinet, piano, and guitar. Do me a favor and refer you friend to this site, would ya?

I'm a drummer and those hurt :(

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat