Be a Supporter!

Making good money as a Flash artist

  • 323 Views
  • 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ngman7
ngman7
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:07:25 Reply

If you know how to use Flash and make good Flash movies, can you make a lot of money as a Flash artist? Can you make good money as a Flash artist on Youtube?

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:09:31 Reply

The 80's were shit and cartoons are gay.


MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Piggler
Piggler
  • Member since: May. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Artist
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:09:44 Reply

1. Make awesome flash series
2. Get huge fan base
3. Sell t-shirts
4. ????
5. PROFIT


BBS Signature
ngman7
ngman7
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:11:02 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:09 AM, Dromedary wrote: The 80's were shit and cartoons are gay.

TWO WORDS- ROGER RABBIT.

What does this have to do with making money as a Flash Artist?

Burger-King-RoFL
Burger-King-RoFL
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:11:25 Reply

Christians are stupid because there is no God.

ngman7
ngman7
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:12:51 Reply

Who out there is a successful Flash artist?

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:13:03 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:11 AM, Burger-King-RoFL wrote: Christians are stupid because there is no God.

Thanks for the fun fact of the day now go away.


BBS Signature
ngman7
ngman7
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:13:54 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:13 AM, TheColourAwsome wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:11 AM, Burger-King-RoFL wrote: Christians are stupid because there is no God.
Thanks for the fun fact of the day now go away.

You all are ATHEISTS and you are off-topic.

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:16:21 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:13 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:13 AM, TheColourAwsome wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:11 AM, Burger-King-RoFL wrote: Christians are stupid because there is no God.
Thanks for the fun fact of the day now go away.
You all are ATHEISTS and you are off-topic.

yes.


BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:22:51 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:16 AM, TheColourAwsome wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:13 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:13 AM, TheColourAwsome wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:11 AM, Burger-King-RoFL wrote: Christians are stupid because there is no God.
Thanks for the fun fact of the day now go away.
You all are ATHEISTS and you are off-topic.
yes.

And the 80s are gay, what's your point?


MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Markface
Markface
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:29:01 Reply

Yeah, if you're good enough.

YouTube wise you'll make about $100 for every 80,000 views or so with advertisement (depending on the partnership deal you have with Google AdSense). So if you consistantly bring out quality animations and have a loyal fanbase, you could make some decent money.

There was an article recently about how Fred, Shane Dawson and all those other YouTube celebrities turn 6 figures annually from advertisement and general views. While they're generally talentless and have no animation skill, if you can rack up a similar view count you could look at some serious cash.

That being said, nothing adult or rude can be used with advertisements. Trying to make something legitimately hilarious which is PG13+ is somewhat hard, well, for me at least.


[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
ngman7
ngman7
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:39:05 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:29 AM, Markface wrote: Yeah, if you're good enough.


That being said, nothing adult or rude can be used with advertisements. Trying to make something legitimately hilarious which is PG13+ is somewhat hard, well, for me at least.

I would make something PG at most. How did the guy who made Annoying Orange manage to get so many hits?

Shady
Shady
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:42:21 Reply

Smoke weed every day.
I don't give a fuck.

Markface
Markface
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:45:04 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:39 AM, ngman7 wrote: I would make something PG at most. How did the guy who made Annoying Orange manage to get so many hits?

I think YouTube is a rather sorry market for legitimate comedy. Where quirky, witty skits and animations are left in the dark to the repetitive randomness of things like Charlie and the Unicorn, The Annoying Orange, etc.

You can market your animations to 13 year olds who love to run around screaming things about "Cheese Lords of Doom will take over the world HAHAHAH", or try and create something legitimately interesting and not have that assurance that it'll do well.


[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:45:13 Reply

Lobsters are exquisite!


BBS Signature
Sawdust
Sawdust
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:45:40 Reply

Play in the NBA.

You could be the next Timofey Mozgov.

GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:46:59 Reply

even the greatest flash artists who get millions of views barely make more than minimum wage from ad revenue

Markface
Markface
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:48:08 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:46 AM, GiantDouche wrote: even the greatest flash artists who get millions of views barely make more than minimum wage from ad revenue

Nah, they actually make great money.


[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:48:23 Reply

My father left me at a very young age so now I sometime circumcise parrots!


BBS Signature
GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:49:04 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:48 AM, Markface wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:46 AM, GiantDouche wrote: even the greatest flash artists who get millions of views barely make more than minimum wage from ad revenue
Nah, they actually make great money.

example please

HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:49:39 Reply

I suggest you pay a lot of attention to the detail of the veins on the penis - an often overlooked detail, and when drawing pubic hair always remember to use single strokes.


This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
Burger-King-RoFL
Burger-King-RoFL
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:51:26 Reply

Seriously though, you need an abundance of penile jokes when animating in Flash. That's how all the big shot artists do it. Also, make it cartoon pornography.

Markface
Markface
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:54:45 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:49 AM, GiantDouche wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:48 AM, Markface wrote:
At 4/17/11 11:46 AM, GiantDouche wrote: even the greatest flash artists who get millions of views barely make more than minimum wage from ad revenue
Nah, they actually make great money.
example please

I ran ads on an animation through YouTube. Made about $40 for close to 30,000 views before they removed the ads after it was deemed the content was inappropriate. Not a huge amount, I'll admit, but when you look at some of the people who create even a small handful of animations a year that are successful it can be great cash.

I mean, even if an animation pulls 2 million hits in the space of a year (which for a popular YouTuber is not a huge amount) then you're making about $2,750 a year from a single animation. Some of the shit on YouTube that gets that much coverage can be made in little to no time.

$2,750 for something that takes a few hours of work is decent. You just need it to be creative and quality. Do that a few times over the space of a year and it's a decent amount of money for little effort.


[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
GiantDouche
GiantDouche
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 11:58:12 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:54 AM, Markface wrote: $2,750 for something that takes a few hours of work is decent. You just need it to be creative and quality. Do that a few times over the space of a year and it's a decent amount of money for little effort.

It's pretty difficult to gain a viewerbase where you can get 2 fucking million views on each one of your videos. Just because people have done it doesn't mean it's possible for everyone to achieve by any means. You'd be better off actually doing animation for a TV show or something.

Markface
Markface
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Animator
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 12:02:21 Reply

At 4/17/11 11:58 AM, GiantDouche wrote: It's pretty difficult to gain a viewerbase where you can get 2 fucking million views on each one of your videos. Just because people have done it doesn't mean it's possible for everyone to achieve by any means. You'd be better off actually doing animation for a TV show or something.

I'd say it'd be consideribly easier getting 2 million hits on a YouTube video in the space of a YEAR than grabbing a job for a TV company. A long with that, you can be generally talentless and still pull those figures for YouTube rather than a job.

Chances are people will never get a viewerbase that garuntees a 2 million view hit everytime (unless they are that funny), but quality work can give them serious views over the space of a year, even if it is by people who don't follow them.

It's a great starting point too, YouTube can be used as a portfolio these days.


[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Making good money as a Flash artist 2011-04-17 12:46:39 Reply

Two words: Flash ads. I've got mine up and running for my gadget game I'm making.


BBS Signature