New Topic Respond to this Topic
GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 14:21:32 Reply

Despite not being an active part of the Newgrounds community, I have often used the audio portal to find legal music for my video's (and games). Recently I have also started to use it as the best legal source for instrumental music, but missed a playlist feature extremely much (and didn't want to download half of Newgrounds), so as a native geek I decided to make myself a playlist function... which grew into a playlist app... which is starting to grow into a full featured music app :P

Getting to the point, ngTunes is a prototype which ONLY WORKS IN CHROME (ideally in mac, functional on windows/linux as well, but not as beautiful). You can try it out over here and I attached a screenshot.

As far as I am concerned I am done with it, because it fits my personal requirements, if however u guys could convince me that u would really like it (I honestly don't know what u guys will think :S ) (*hint* *hint* donation/chipin form :P) I will probably at least make it cross browser and make :) Oh well, just thought I would drop that out into the open :) So what do u guys think? (Right now it updates the list only once a day, as it's a fairly intensive task)

ngTunes prototype - audio playlists

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 14:39:32 Reply

Wow, that is awesome man. Good job.

I have no use for it, sadly, but I do appreciate the great technical skills displayed.

Well done.

#coys

BBS Signature
066pop
066pop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 14:41:21 Reply

Nice job dude!

Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 14:42:06 Reply

I use this guys app.
Which is download-able.

But still great job man!

GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 15:09:39 Reply

At 4/11/11 02:42 PM, Damien wrote: I use this guys app.
Which is download-able.

But still great job man!

Wow, should have seen that app earlier I guess :P, but by now I like my own app better (especially because I tend to switch operating systems quite often :P). But reminded me of some cool stuff I want to add sometime (author and download links, shuffle and repeat), as they are all fairly really simple, but I am simply quite lazy XD

VitaminP
VitaminP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 16:16:15 Reply

Nice, its also functional in Firefox 4 btw.

--------------------[ Mod Type Indicator ] - [ Change Level Icons ] - [ Last Post Link ] - [ Inline Poster ]------------------

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 16:22:09 Reply

At 4/11/11 04:16 PM, VitaminP wrote: Nice, its also functional in Firefox 4 btw.

Works in Opera as well.

Nice job.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 16:48:50 Reply

At 4/11/11 04:16 PM, VitaminP wrote: Nice, its also functional in Firefox 4 btw.
At 4/11/11 04:22 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
Works in Opera as well.

Nice job.

@Both: Yeah I tried it in both opera and firefox as well, but in firefox the input[type=range] slider thing at the top isn't yet implemented (well... I tried a script which should have automatically solved that, but didn't do it well enough) and with opera... I had a problem with the sound... hmm... interesting, because if u claim it did work than getting it to work in 11.10+ shouldn't be too hard. Dunno.

And thx for all the compliments :)

How out of place I feel here as a lvl 1 (*bragging mode on* for the record, on kongregate I am lvl 45 *bragging mode off*)

Nerdonk
Nerdonk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 16:50:52 Reply

This is fantastic! If you widened the compatibility and made it downloadable that would be even better! As early posts go, this was a great one!

Your opinion is wrong.
Current favourite thread.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-11 17:15:17 Reply

Not using it, but good job nonetheless.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 01:44:22 Reply

At 4/11/11 04:50 PM, Nerdonk wrote: This is fantastic! If you widened the compatibility and made it downloadable that would be even better! As early posts go, this was a great one!

Downloadable as a stand alone app, because depending on your operating system you can already get pretty close to that and once I get it to work neatly in firefox that would be possible on every OS using mozilla prism. Oh well, I dont really see the point nowadays anymore of stand alone apps over web apps... especially for apps which need internet connectivity either way.

sugarsimon
sugarsimon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 01:45:14 Reply

great job, man (dude)!

TheDunwichHorror
TheDunwichHorror
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 01:52:05 Reply

pretty fucking terrible

there's nothing that makes this stand out from the already functional ng audio portal besides playlists by genre

we're a punchline to spengler's joke

BBS Signature
Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 02:06:01 Reply

That's pretty cool, but I don't really spend that much time browsing the AP.

BBS Signature
GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 04:45:53 Reply

At 4/12/11 01:52 AM, TheDunwichHorror wrote: pretty fucking terrible

there's nothing that makes this stand out from the already functional ng audio portal besides playlists by genre

That, my dear friend, is exactly the point :P

therealanimator
therealanimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 07:52:23 Reply

You shoud definitely tell Tom about this. Its like Itunes for newgrounds

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 11:09:29 Reply

i dig it and bookmarked it. I find myself more open to use stuff like this while im at work because my playlists of personal music are at home and alot of times i dont really know what i want to listen so i like to wander

None

GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 15:19:50 Reply

At 4/12/11 07:52 AM, therealanimator wrote: You shoud definitely tell Tom about this. Its like Itunes for newgrounds

Hmm, it's not like he couldn't simply say a word and have one of his developers build a far superior version in a week or so :P and on top of that without the limitations I am facing (can't read id3 data without a artificial parser, I can't read equalizer visualization data, etc. ) XD

Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 15:27:38 Reply

At 4/12/11 03:19 PM, GreatS wrote:
At 4/12/11 07:52 AM, therealanimator wrote: You shoud definitely tell Tom about this. Its like Itunes for newgrounds
Hmm, it's not like he couldn't simply say a word and have one of his developers build a far superior version in a week or so :P

*cough*Chat*cough*

BBS Signature
TechnoHound
TechnoHound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 15:31:44 Reply

Wow, thats really cool and stuff.

By Life Stream

BBS Signature
Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 15:51:19 Reply

Almost didn't click the link just cause I didn't want to open Chrome to use it. Then I read it works in Firefox, so I tried and it's pretty good.
Bookmarked it, and I'll probably use it fairly often. Much better than those shitty flash NG radio things.

GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-12 17:13:51 Reply

UPDATE : In the bottom left you will now find a shuffle button, I have a number of other buttons planned as well :P, but this was the first step. During the upgrade it was possible some of you got a 404 error, though I doubt anybody experienced that. Hmm... what's there to add... shuffle through different genres is of course not possible and I solved a bug where now the playlist will restart at the beginning if it reaches the end (btw, is there anybody who often reaches the end and would really like more songs to be available in every genre?)

Aside of that, I am sincerely suprised that you guys are ok with how it looks in firefox... because I would call that anything except esthetically functional... oh well, it's a pity/odd that I can't edit the opening post, cause I counted on that being possible. Oh well, as I said in the beginning for now I am just continuing developing in chrome except something convinces me to change my mind ;P.

GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-13 04:33:25 Reply

Ok... I hate double posting, but wanted to share with you that there is now a notifier option, screenshot attached below, it can be toggled form the bottom left (from a svg-based interface *jaj*).

therealanimator
therealanimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-13 06:58:57 Reply

You should work with some of the audio mods and see what they think of your project

BBS Signature
GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-13 14:17:07 Reply

At 4/13/11 06:58 AM, therealanimator wrote: You should work with some of the audio mods and see what they think of your project

I would have no clue at all where to look for them :P , but it might be interesting to drop them a line if u - or somebody else - could point in the right direction.

Will be uploading a new version with repeat as an option as well, sometime today probably, will post a message once I get there.

merlin
merlin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-13 14:28:37 Reply

At 4/13/11 02:17 PM, GreatS wrote:
At 4/13/11 06:58 AM, therealanimator wrote: You should work with some of the audio mods and see what they think of your project
I would have no clue at all where to look for them :P , but it might be interesting to drop them a line if u - or somebody else - could point in the right direction.

Will be uploading a new version with repeat as an option as well, sometime today probably, will post a message once I get there.

Try the Audio Portal Forum

in before needs more merlin in the playlists

Also, needs more merlin

BBS Signature
GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-14 02:47:08 Reply

Added the promised loop feature, but I... hmm... fear there is an ugly bug somewhere which sometimes causes problems (although normally everything is fine). Oh well, enjoy the update.

Laughingbox
Laughingbox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-14 03:01:15 Reply

Interesting. I've tried those flash games that organize the NG Audio Portal into something easier to sift through, but her you made a web applet which is lighter (can't say it's as shiny, but it suits my needs well) and it doesn't require five seconds of load-time. Excellent work, man!

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

therealanimator
therealanimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-14 03:25:04 Reply

you should definitely be an audio mod.. This is mod material right here!

BBS Signature
GreatS
GreatS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to ngTunes prototype - audio playlists 2011-04-14 07:37:49 Reply

At 4/14/11 03:01 AM, Laughingbox wrote: Interesting. I've tried those flash games that organize the NG Audio Portal into something easier to sift through, but her you made a web applet which is lighter (can't say it's as shiny, but it suits my needs well) and it doesn't require five seconds of load-time. Excellent work, man!

Not as shiny the way it looks in most browsers? Or not as shiny as it looks in the screenshots and chromium on mac (were I build it on :P)? Cause as far as I am concerned it looks awesome :P