New Topic Respond to this Topic
Bobfleadip
Bobfleadip
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Flash Can't Open .fla File Help 2011-04-10 18:03:58 Reply

So yesterday I was working in flash when suddenly the computer froze and had to be manually restarted, it had happened earlier that day as well but after the second reboot I could no longer open the file I was working on in flash or on any other computer (I was working on my Mac book with CS4 and also tried to open it on my school's Mac/PCs with CS5, but none of them could read the file)

Every time I try to open the file I get the same pop up message which can be seen in the pict with this post

I have never encountered a problem like this before and have no idea what to do, I was browsing the Adobe help forums earlier and found several other cases like mine where everyone says to just convert the .fla into a .zip and pull the library items out of the .xml folder, but every time I rename the file and try to open the .zip all it gives me is the broken .fla file without access to the folder options

Does anyone know how to access the folder option with a mac or know of any other way for me to get into the file and at least copy the library symbols and save them to a new file? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Flash Can't Open .fla File Help

Jimp
Jimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Flash Can't Open .fla File Help 2011-04-10 18:46:12 Reply

Looks like youve got a corrupt .fla file :( Not sure if theres much you can do about restoring the file completely, but if you have a .swf of the file you might be able to get some work back using a decompiler - I use Sothink swf decompiler.

It's horrible when stuff like this happens but I've learnt to deal with it after years of putting up with Flashes crap. If you have a Mac, Time Machine can be a godsend in this situation!

BBS Signature
Bobfleadip
Bobfleadip
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Flash Can't Open .fla File Help 2011-04-10 18:59:41 Reply

Unfortunately I did not have an updated .swf of the work I had done since yesterday, the first half of the file has already been exported as a .png sequence so I didn't really lose any major work, but I had a good 12 hours worth of work of Key frames and rough animation in that file that had not been backed up on any device since I tend to make copies after I finish a full sequence and I had just started those drawings yesterday. If I could just access those damn symbols then everything would be fine, but so far it looks like I'll have to start from scratch, it's just so frustrating X________X

Jimp
Jimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Flash Can't Open .fla File Help 2011-04-11 05:08:54 Reply

I feel for you!

If I ever lose work from Flash crashing I just force myself to start again, but the 2nd time around I make sure the end results are even better than the first. It gives me satisfaction to improve the second time around, and means that flash crashing and losing work only improves your project in the long run!

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Flash Can't Open .fla File Help 2011-04-11 08:39:48 Reply

Happened to me some time ago, it seemed you had a corrupted file (it didn't save properly).
Still, when it happened to me (the system doesn't crash, but flash does because its a pirated copy) I was making a movie, and I had major plans, but the second time, I did less because if the same thing happened, I didn't lose much.
The next time it happens, or whenever you save, just do Ctrl+Shift+S. It'll save as a new copy, and so won't disturb the previous ones, and if there is a need to rollback, it's simple rather than jabbing Ctrl+Z.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature