New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-04-24 19:23:45 Reply

At 4/24/11 05:12 PM, naronic wrote: and (this is essential)
design a script that makes it so the flash has to run its FULL duration before voting is unlocked

They used to have something like that. It was implemented along with the redesign, if I recall correctly. You had to watch a certain percentage of a flash before the voting bar activated. The problem with that is that there are cheeky monkeys who can make lengthy movies that are just a blank screen. Should someone have to sit through a half-hour of that just to vote?

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-04-24 21:04:54 Reply

you want to help the flash portal?

start by this

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-04-24 21:06:56 Reply

At 4/24/11 07:23 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 4/24/11 05:12 PM, naronic wrote: and (this is essential)
design a script that makes it so the flash has to run its FULL duration before voting is unlocked
They used to have something like that. It was implemented along with the redesign, if I recall correctly. You had to watch a certain percentage of a flash before the voting bar activated. The problem with that is that there are cheeky monkeys who can make lengthy movies that are just a blank screen. Should someone have to sit through a half-hour of that just to vote?

If it has no content then give it a 0
a responcible flash artist would always make sure his flash was functional before submitting

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-04-25 16:55:23 Reply

yepperz

this thread is dead
someone ring in the coffin and condolences

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-04-27 08:33:31 Reply

At 4/19/11 06:30 PM, AVXAVXAVX wrote: I just looked at the obituaries for today and it seems one of the cookie cutter game authors got his account deleted. Theres about 120 crappy generic games now wiped off the face of NG.

I'd love to see these cookie cutter games get the boot from Newgrounds. I think that any flash that requires less effort to make than taking a "tricky shit" should not be allowed on here in the first place. At least some of the shit we blam is original.

At 4/22/11 12:05 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote: I think that TooCool100 has to take the blam for shitty entries passing the portal. Look at him, he has 123800 plus saves and only 93 blams. He averages about 60 points per day which means that he pretty much protects everything he sees with his massive VP.

As far as I was aware, Toocool was voting only on flash that were worthy of protection. Let's not get personal here.

At 4/24/11 05:12 PM, naronic wrote: If this has not been mentioned yet then all of the people in this threat are utterly stupid.

Restrict to 1 vote per flash #1
to ensure all new voting traffic goes towards the new flashes

Thanks for reading my OP :P

and (this is essential)

i suggested this simple solution many times to mods only to get ignored.

Yes, because moderators can create scripts like this - we're just here to police the forums, the reviews and so forth.

That's a very difficult script to write and one that no doubt flash artists would find a way around.

you don't want to take away stats, people would stop voting.
We want to keep statwhoring but make it PRODUCTIVE not distructive

How is that backing up the cause of Blamming? That's the single most destructive thing a member of the community can do on Newgrounds - helping to destroy someone else's work.

As far as I'm concerned, people will benefit more for seeing a high profile account or two taking a hit in Saves count, because they have been saving blindly

using this method well get more competent, wise raters that want the stats just as bad as the crappy raters we have now.

Tar us all with the same brush, why don't you?

At 4/24/11 07:18 PM, naronic wrote: this thread was dead before it hit the water

I guess people don't care

Seriously? A thread with 5 pages was dead before it hit the water. Why don't you just PM Tom and ask him to change your username to Moronic, so that the transformation can be completed.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Minion777
Minion777
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-04-27 09:37:38 Reply

Still voting 5 on everything.

Monster Count: 2999 - Countdown to 3000
DO ANY OF YOU BOYS LIVE IN VIRGINIA?!

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-04-27 19:13:34 Reply

At 4/24/11 05:12 PM, naronic wrote: If this has not been mentioned yet then all of the people in this threat are utterly stupid.

Restrict to 1 vote per flash #1
to ensure all new voting traffic goes towards the new flashes
Thanks for reading my OP :P

your welcome

and (this is essential)

i suggested this simple solution many times to mods only to get ignored.
That's a very difficult script to write and one that no doubt flash artists would find a way around.

how would they exactly Leonardo?
I'm pretty sure half the scrips used on this site were hard to make.
How do you think NG dealt with the Duck Division or FF? I'm sure as heck that wasn't easy to do either and this problem is 10X more minuscule to take care of.

we want to fix the portal we all need to put in a slice of the cake.

you don't want to take away stats, people would stop voting.
We want to keep statwhoring but make it PRODUCTIVE not distructive
How is that backing up the cause of Blamming? That's the single most destructive thing a member of the community can do on Newgrounds - helping to destroy someone else's work.

I'm sorry what?
read my entire post will you.

or matter of fact let me hold your hand through it since your obviously more impulsive than a 14 year old girl in a bathroom with a long toothbrush.

We channel all voting attention to the Flash Portal -numero uno
Design a script that forces said voter to watch the entire flash before voting
and keep the stats to preserve the desire to level up so that we still have many strong, motivated voters.

Its a simple concept really.
and IMO much better than...

As far as I'm concerned, people will benefit more for seeing a high profile account or two taking a hit in Saves count, because they have been saving blindly

yea...

At 4/24/11 07:18 PM, naronic wrote: this thread was dead before it hit the water

I guess people don't care
Seriously? A thread with 5 pages was dead before it hit the water. Why don't you just PM Tom and ask him to change your username to Moronic, so that the transformation can be completed.

OH HE SHOOTS FOR IT, ITS GOING, ITS GOINNN... OHH AND IT HITS THE SAND 2 METERS AHEAD OF HIM!
yea.

BBS Signature
Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-05-03 22:04:34 Reply

The only revolutions in 2011 were in Egypt and Libya.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-05-19 09:24:08 Reply

At 4/27/11 09:37 AM, Minion777 wrote: Still voting 5 on everything.

Well, that's your loss. We are many and we shall win.

At 5/3/11 08:19 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: I've had my flashed 0'd from 3s to 1s or low 2s by a retard called ishkabibbles, better known as tycrane.

It might help if you took on board the advice that was given to you in the reviews you receive. You're not the best flash artist out there and perhaps your pieces deserve that score?

Anyway, congratulations to those that got boosts to their Blams counts the other day for helping to clear up some shit.

Also, hello to Naronic, who can't understand what I'm on about.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Shanus
Shanus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits 2011-06-03 19:03:57 Reply

I've been looking around the portal today and the submissions are, for the most, part sub par. I remember when the "crews" were around and the spammed the portal with their poorly made submissions, and it was quite fun fighting them off

And failing

But now a days anything, no matter how broken can get in. It also doesn't encourage artist to develop, just stay mediocre as it was good enough to get on newgrounds why even try to improve.

This is an example of a game that will be here forever because of inaction, and no offence to the artists, it's clearly not finished. And they will not try any harder next time

Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge || Elite Guard Barracks || Review Request Club || NGLog

I watch an unholy amount of films

BBS Signature