New Topic Respond to this Topic
SlashFirestorm
SlashFirestorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Animator
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 10th, 2011 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At 4/10/11 02:52 PM, Sentio wrote: That's a bit extreme don't you think?

As the problem has grown more extreme in severity, so have I grown more extreme in my impatience with it. I wouldn't say that anyone who gave one of the copies a passing score should be punished, but more than one in a short timeframe? I have no sympathy for people who do that.

My personal policy is this: I vote on a flash normally the first time I see it---I believe I gave the previous version a 1 yesterday. But from then on, no matter how good the original was, any recolors/sprite swaps/etc get a zero from me for having no original content. They're effectively stolen, if only from themselves, and I'd love to hear that we're allowed to whistle them.

As for the people who enable multiple copies of a submission---the ones who know what they're doing, and I'm sure the admins have records which make it very clear who's enabling it---at minimum they should lose the save points gained from doing so. I would prefer they lose all of their points if they've done a lot of it. Perhaps take away their account's ability to get B/P permanently. I don't know. I'm perilously close to saying that I don't care. To be blunt, I have no hope that the Portal is going to improve. I have no reason to think that there will be Portal Mods or voting limitations or nerfing of major offenders. I'd love to be wrong, but the Portal has been on a continuous slide ever since I started B/P'ing half a decade ago, and now it's seemed to reach rock bottom.

The only reason I bother B/P'ing now is because doing something is better than doing nothing.

Slash's call
was absorbed
by the darkness.

BBS Signature
idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 10th, 2011 @ 04:40 PM Reply

I know my activity here has been reduced to just getting my exp points here the just of this year so far. At one point i was a stat whore for the worse. As Fro pointed out to me one day to check my stats for the day i saw what i was really doing. I had 100+ saves and only 19 blams for the day. Not that it was just the submissions, but how i was voting.

I can't say for now that i will be active on the forums again any time soon, but i will put my 11.50+ voting power to work. EGB members.. you may see me sooner then later.

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 10th, 2011 @ 05:01 PM Reply

It doesn't look like this revolution is catching on yet.

• gif test
    gif test by thehoopz

Click to view.

Type
    Movie
    Rated
    Everyone

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
DiMono
DiMono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 10th, 2011 @ 05:12 PM Reply

At 4/10/11 05:01 PM, Auz wrote: It doesn't look like this revolution is catching on yet.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/56 7095

That guy's submissions seem to alternate between total shite, and actually fairly amusing.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Please help fund my horror novel. I'll love you forever.

idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 10th, 2011 @ 05:13 PM Reply

Honest to god if this passes, i don't know what I'll do.

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
MrAngel
MrAngel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 10th, 2011 @ 05:47 PM Reply

I would like to point out that there's a general misconception in the B/P habits of alot of NG members. Take me for instance, who has more blam than protect points. While i only have about 1800 B/P points total, 1k+ are blams, while only 800 or so are saves. Think of that pattern going until i end up with 30k points, and say my blam to protect ratio was the same. Its not a sign that i spam 0 on submissions, as a matter of fact, its the opposite. I grade flashes based on quality of the artwork, depth of the plot, and the quality of the sound and how well it meshes with the environment of the graphics. I take the time to watch the flashes, and see if they are of presentable quality or not, and alot of the ones i see arent fit to be on NG. I have noticed throughout the years, the number of blammed flashes per day has gone down at least 20%. Its not that people are submitting less crap, its that people dont grade them on a sensible scale, or they dont even grade them at all, they just want points. I have to agree with Narcissy about there only being a blam and protect button when a flash is under judgement, and that the votes are logged based on account name, since some people log on with different IPs.

BBS Signature
DevourerJay
DevourerJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 10th, 2011 @ 05:53 PM Reply

I do watch everything I vote on, all my B/P are actually earned...

however I think the NG voting system itself is broken... 0,1 get stuff blammed, 2,3,4,5 it gets passed... the rating system should be tweaked so its more balanced.

Also I'd like to point out that all the "0-Bombers" as you call them, are usually "crews". get rid of them you'd get rid of a whole set of issues... how? don't ask me.

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Sig By Xeno.
Formerly known as MissingNYC

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 10th, 2011 @ 06:04 PM Reply

I am one of the few people who actually neither vote exclusively 5 or 0 for submissions, unless absolutely deserving of such scores.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 01:27 PM Reply

At 4/9/11 06:15 AM, Wolfos wrote: It's not broken, it's only 56KB so that means the black screen was put there deliberately. That file size can't really hold much more than that. Especially not an animation.

So why would it get protected? I see no reason not to vote 0 on it.

At 4/9/11 06:26 AM, Gagsy wrote: Personally I think they need to raise the score requirements again.

What is it now 1.60? I feel it could go as high as 2.00. How many flash below 2.00 do you find worthy of watching?

I'll settle for a compromise of 1.80, as that would give people a shot in the arm, when it comes to voting and it would help to balance the system.

At 4/9/11 06:26 AM, sanjeev98 wrote: Good, coop, but then again not allowing guests to vote will mean that there will be a massive influx of users, and then due to the voting power, as people vote, their power will go higher, and thus will increase the amount the flash's score decreases.

Yes, because ever single of the 555,555 flash that have been uploaded to this site is voted by every user who has ever signed up for Newgrounds.

Currently, some of my flash are also being zero-bombed, just because people are jelly -- it's as if users installed a program to automatically vote zero on the thing everyday with a simple script, and they have succeeded in doing so -- bringing a score of 3.05 to 2.9, with 400 votes+! And all the time, it was only zero bombing -- the score was 3.05 at 340 votes!

Perhaps it's a bunch of users telling you that you need to make better flash - ones that are deserving of such a high score?

At 4/9/11 06:50 AM, Damien wrote: Lets just get rid of everything.

And start the whole website all over again.

Doesn't that count as genocide? I'm sure people have tried that before and it's not worked out well.

At 4/9/11 07:18 AM, Lorkas wrote:
At 4/9/11 05:51 AM, Coop wrote: It is here that I come to my proposal - every user be allowed to vote on each submission only once.
I agree with most points except this one. It's a crappy idea. What if you change your mind or if you misclick the right vote number?

Well, if you mis-click, then there is no difference, as you can't vote twice in 24 hours, thus defeating the Blam / Save issue.

At 4/9/11 07:24 AM, Narcissy wrote: You know, when a flash is Under Judgement, what's the point with having 0-5? I wonder would it be better to change it to simply "Blam or Protect?" - Two buttons to decide if it passes or not. And after that it goes through "Showcase" Where people then vote on it for a score. And then it goes on like any other flash.

An interesting point, but that would require quite a bit of programming. I'm merely suggesting tweaks, otherwise, we'll have to wait another decade for the Chat.

At 4/9/11 07:26 AM, Auz wrote: Another revolution? Awesome!

While I agree with what you said, I would like to bring in the fair point gfoxcook made that more submissions passing judgment doesn't have to be a bad thing. Most of the bad submissions will just sink to the depths of the portal anyway and are forever forgotten about. Some people might still have fun with them and they don't hurt anyone.

I'm not complaining about too many flash submissions that pass judgement. I believe that quality has risen since the days when I started and most stuff was blammed. The problem being that people's expected standards of flash pieces has declined as well, which is the main point I wish to address here.

At 4/9/11 07:34 AM, Lorkas wrote:
At 4/9/11 07:21 AM, Gagsy wrote: I think it makes sense only being allowed to vote on each submission once. Why do we need to vote again after that?
To show our love

Why not post links of the coolest movies you like across the site in relevant threads, thus getting your favourites more exposure

At 4/9/11 08:47 AM, Dew wrote: If you want voting change to happen, you can't just ask people to change,

You can ask reasonable people to change and they will consider themselves. These people have been appealed to and hopefully will moderate their behaviour, if it was questionable in the end.

you have to enforce it.

One or two high profile scalps should do the trick. I have my sights trained on a few and have mentioned their names to various people.

Once people start seeing the consequences of being immature and stat whoreish then people will stop doing it.

Three robots have been disabled to my knowledge (fixit; yaya12 and icean) The former was a blamming robot, that nailed the last vote of 0, to get the blam point on every submission for ages. The latter two were save bots, which have been disabled. Personally, I'd like to see all three of these have their stats nullified, as they are signs of how a cheat can prosper to a certain extent.

As for the people who don't post at all in the forums, but inexplicably have 20, 000 plus b/p points, for example, checking their voting habits and banning accordingly will solve any inappropriate habits there as well.

Start at the top and work down ;)

At 4/9/11 09:50 AM, SCTE3 wrote: I'm behind this the full way but what if the user simply wants to deposit their points for the day and nothing else? Those users will just click on 5 random flash submissions and hit random buttons which I don't see as a big problem unless they would be doing this on the Under Judgment submissions in which case that is not so good.

Ah, but wouldn't that generate more traffic for "dormant" pieces, which have been on Newgrounds for ages and have barely been viewed?

Hell, let's go the whole hog and introduce experience being awarded for voting on any submission (Flash, Audio, Art or Other, depending on additions in future), then you can get experience for supporting Everything, by Everyone.

At 4/9/11 10:50 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: And no, I don't give a shit how many of those blams actually lead to points.

I do, but only because no-one seems to agree with me that there's a large pile of shit that needs to be removed coming in here.

It may be harsh, but at least it's fair. I usually go for the smaller file sizes (because I'm an impatient fucker), and most of those tend to be the classic broken screens and 10-second-effort jobs. Granted, you also get some pretty cool external content flashes in the small ones, but they're in the minority here.

Yeah, I appreciate that. The only time I've rushed to vote on flash are if I've logged in and a verge of death piece is waiting. Then it's usually a click, load, blam. They tend to be small, but time is a factor there.

At 4/9/11 11:10 AM, Quinny wrote: The second coming of Viva La Revolution? I'm OK with this.

There's still loads that'll either vote 0 or 5 though, just saying.

Yeah, we want to control that though.

At 4/9/11 11:16 AM, Cootie wrote: Just bump up the score required to pass to 2.50 I say.

Too high, Tom would not go for that right now.

At 4/9/11 11:22 AM, byteslinger wrote: The current voting system on Newgrounds is defective and needs to be enhanced. Remember, this website is still PRIVATELY owned, and thus the owners can do whatever they want to protect it. They chose to share it with the general public, but that public can no longer be trusted to do the right thing.

Yeah and I want to be a part of this - I'm sick of being someone that sees spam getting through the portal and posting links to Wade. I'd guess he's pretty sick of receiving them from those of us that hit him with them, to be honest.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 01:27 PM Reply

At 4/9/11 12:16 PM, SlashFirestorm wrote: I invite anyone who doesn't think that this is a problem to spend one day on the Portal. Watch what passes. Blank screens, animated .gifs, a shitload of horrible mass-produced clones of dressups and racing games, and shitty no-effort crap that has so little original content that is effectively stolen...that's what's passing nowadays. I've been active on the site since 2005 and it is, by far, the worst it has ever been. No spam group has ever done close to the damage that a bunch of stat-happy twats have accomplished by passing this garbage.

Yeah, that's the state of play sadly. How about when flash are removed from the system by Wade, for breaking the rules or something like that, those that voted to blam are rewarded (as I believe it is at the moment) with a Blam point and those that voted 2-5 are penalised a save point? That would fuck some people up enough to convince them to use the much maligned 0 or 1 buttons.

At 4/9/11 01:00 PM, Minion777 wrote: I vote 5 on everything.

Then you're just a troll cunt.

At 4/9/11 01:46 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Well, I come across a lot of crap that I vote zero on but still manages to get scores above three.

The sheep that frequent the portal don't use their eyes. It's upsetting, isn't it.

At 4/9/11 09:49 PM, phantomlassuk wrote: I agree with this so much I have seen all the posts here and feel the same .I thought that maybe a idea was to not let people vote till they have seen the entire flash. But that does not stop stat whore why are they not being stopped? it unfair to us genuine voters who vote fairly a revamp is need I agree.

I'm almost offended by the stat whore term - I am a stat whore, but one that votes fairly, rather than doing so for the point, like a sheep, following the crowd.

At 4/10/11 05:24 AM, AllReligiousDrunk wrote: Someone hasn't received enough blams lately? ;-)~

Over the past week, I may have average 3 blams per day, but THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT!

At 4/10/11 02:16 PM, SlashFirestorm wrote: This is a flash that was passed yesterday.

And it's since been blammed. I think that's a result.

At 4/10/11 02:27 PM, DiMono wrote: You think that's bad? Check out this guy's submissions. I'll give you a hint: they are identical, except they're palette shifted from each other. He's submitted the same game five times. I think I've called him out on it twice.

I'll pass that to Wade in a moment.

At 4/10/11 06:04 PM, phrozonfire wrote: I am one of the few people who actually neither vote exclusively 5 or 0 for submissions, unless absolutely deserving of such scores.

I only use 5 after judgement at the moment. I don't think I've voted 5 on a submission under judgement for 2-3 years.

*Phew* I'm off back to the portal.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 01:29 PM Reply

Proving my point nicely, here's some music. Clearly, this one doesn't know what the FLASH and AUDIO portals are for.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
RohantheBarbarian
RohantheBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 01:36 PM Reply

At 4/11/11 01:29 PM, Coop wrote: Proving my point nicely, here's some music. Clearly, this one doesn't know what the FLASH and AUDIO portals are for.

Spotted that as well, Jesus H. Christ I will weep for the Portal if it passes. Ok, the music is pretty decent, but it's a blank screen. Not even a coloured blank screen, not that it would be anyway better but it would take a whole 10 seconds more effort.

Maybe it's a bug on my end but last I checked the Audio Portal button was RIGHT NEXT to the Flash Portal button, right? Right?

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 4/11/11 01:36 PM, RohantheBarbarian wrote: Spotted that as well, Jesus H. Christ I will weep for the Portal if it passes.

*Hands Rohan a box of tissues.*

hitman1993
hitman1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 11th, 2011 @ 04:29 PM Reply

This is so true. I'm fairly mature when it comes to voting on submissions, though I have to admit there are the days where I just want to deposit some points so I vote 5 on random front page submissions but hey, at least it's a 5 and not a 0. Everyone should have to take a test before finalizing their account to make sure they're mature enough to handle this site. I'll administer the test personally.

If someone on the BBS were to disagree with your opinion, how would you respond?
a: I see your point, good sir/madam
b: FUCK YOU DOUCHEBAG DERP

BBS Signature
EagleRock
EagleRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 12th, 2011 @ 02:25 PM Reply

I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread, but I think it's fitting I say something. I'll try to keep it short, though I know I won't. :-)

This was a problem in 2005, and it's gotten worse every year since. At least back in 2005, people were critical of what they voted on. I don't mean critical as in "Level 3 was too easy, instant 0," I mean, "Let's see if the game actually works before I vote." There were mass-voters back then, too. They just didn't have the benefit of having the general populace behind their back.

Besides the changes Coop has suggestion to make to the Portal (all good ones, I might add), there is one thing we can all do to help solve this issue: Vote fairly on every flash, no matter what. Gonna miss a point? Who cares? Know it will pass though you don't like it? Blam it anyway.

Wouldn't you rather get points for voting how you wanted to vote on a Flash, instead of having to choose between a point and what you believe in? It's not impossible, especially when more and more people chip in. Keep to it, and it'll turn the Portal around soon enough.

Portal Submissions in 2011 come in the following varieties:

1) Flash gaming websites reposting their professional-grade Flash to Newgrounds - Not bad at all, but not exactly what Newgrounds was made for.

2) Mass-voters putting out their crap on the Portal - Been around for a long time, and their power has all but grown.

3) People who are putting absolutely no effort into their Flash at all - The latest salvo. Thanks to 5-6 years of being tempered by mass-voter groups, most people on Newgrounds let these pass as if they were masterpieces.

4) The people actually trying to make Flash on Newgrounds - Remember them? The kid trying out Flash that wants to get good and get recognized. What Newgrounds is all about. What happened to this guy? I'd say 1 out of every 25 Flash I vote on is this. Not all are worth to pass, but at least people are still trying.

If we let the Portal keep up like this, that fourth group is eventually going to give up. Most are zero-bombed or just allowed to pass without any form of constructive criticism whatsoever. Not the best environment to grow and actually get good at this. If Newgrounds is no longer the place for an aspiring Flash artist to try their hand at this, they'll just stop coming here.

And that'll be when Newgrounds dies. Don't let it happen, folks.

Founder of the Elite Guard Barracks [ Thread ] [ Forums ] Sig by ByteSlinger

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 12th, 2011 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 4/11/11 04:22 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 4/11/11 01:36 PM, RohantheBarbarian wrote: Spotted that as well, Jesus H. Christ I will weep for the Portal if it passes.

Here Wade comes to save the day!

At 4/11/11 04:29 PM, hitman1993 wrote: Everyone should have to take a test before finalizing their account to make sure they're mature enough to handle this site. I'll administer the test personally.

If someone on the BBS were to disagree with your opinion, how would you respond?
a: I see your point, good sir/madam
b: FUCK YOU DOUCHEBAG DERP

Or c: don't respond.

At 4/12/11 02:25 PM, EagleRock wrote: Besides the changes Coop has suggestion to make to the Portal (all good ones, I might add), there is one thing we can all do to help solve this issue: Vote fairly on every flash, no matter what. Gonna miss a point? Who cares? Know it will pass though you don't like it? Blam it anyway.

As Cave Johnson says, Humans cannot be trusted. So we will have to replace the system with robots. Those six extra seconds can make the difference between life and death of a flash.

News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
RohantheBarbarian
RohantheBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 13th, 2011 @ 01:04 PM Reply

At 4/12/11 06:16 PM, Coop wrote:
At 4/11/11 04:22 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
Here Wade comes to save the day!

Great that these issues are being taken care of, just a pity that at the moment it's requiring direct administrative action to be resolved. That said it might be a catalyst which may drive a change towards a system where this wouldn't be required.

DiMono
DiMono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 13th, 2011 @ 05:32 PM Reply

Here's my other favourite offender of superficial changes to the same submission. Every flash "she" submits is just the same thing with different pictures, but they always pass because they're pictures of tits. And for some reason she keeps going on and on in the author comments about how she has a boyfriend. Weird.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

AVXAVXAVX
AVXAVXAVX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 12:28 AM Reply

I've noticed a HUGE drop in the standard for passing flash since 2006 (wow that was 5 years ago). It seems somewhere in 2008/2009 there was an uproar of crappy generic (usually tagged with ads) games making their way through the portal. I'm not surprised when they pass, since they aren't horrible, just generic. I suppose you could say its an improvement from the large amounts of crap back in '06. At least that crap got what it deserved.

But theres one thing about the way voting habits have changed. The thing is that we've gone from quickly voting zero on a flash without watching it to quickly voting 2 or 5 without watching it. In retrospect the voting habit is very much the same, its just the score that has changed. The bottom line is that a heavy percentage of the users are only doing it for the points. And I'm guilty as hell for that. I used to vote 0/5 on everything as if the other buttons were going to give me AIDS if I touched them. Lets not kid ourselves, most users are only doing it for the points, simple as that. The main reason any of the flashes under judgment ever see the light of passing is because somebody has to give a damn about it. And that is done through the use of points rewards. Points is all it takes for somebody to spend hours doing any mundane task just so they can gain bragging rights. I can't think of a better example than the medals points, completely useless besides showing off how you've spent the last year or so playing flash games that you would of gave up on if they didn't have medals.

Whats the real bottom line? Nobody is doing it for fun. Its all about those goddamn numbers. Might as well make a stat for how many flashes you've watched/played or how many times you've voted on something (no thank you).

So what exactly is my advice toward fixing this? Well you can't get rid of the points or else there would be a significant drop in the people voting on flashes under judgment (a flash could be under judgment for hours or even days). Hightening the score requirement wouldn't do much seeing as how most of these generic games (along with most flashes) get a 2.8-3.0. So what should be done? Nothing. Lets face it, things change. I bet people weren't happy back when the portal was 90% crappy blam material, I know I wasn't. Just go with the flow, ignore the games entirely. When I say that I mean don't even bother clicking on them, you're just feeding these guys their precious AD money (the only reason they make these cookie cutter games in the first place). I'm sure in the future when this site is dealing with a new dilemna users will look back at this and say "Hey, at least they had all these games to play." It could be a lot worse.

Also one last thing, if you're gonna complain about the spam crew flashes passing judgment, either ignore them or just vote 5 on them, they're gonna pass regardless so you might as well decrease their chances of getting Turd of The Week (the only reason they make these flashes is for negative attention). I thought most people knew this by now.

LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 01:00 AM Reply

With any democratically-fueled engine, masses of like-minded sheep will flock wherever you steer them. Whatever you guys decide to do, stick with it.

I personally like the idea of raising the blam bar to 1.9 or something.

I don't vote on the UJ portal anymore. I trust the weekly tops and fave authors. Do I miss the occasional gem? Yes. But I also don't review. Leaving a constructive review is more valuable than any vote.

Attempting to fix the problem of premature, inaccurate voting really relies on the userbase detecting and reporting anomalous wastage flash to an open and active administration crew that is capable of "fixing" it.

I think the whistle function could be enhanced. Allow the whistles for the first week. Have garbage whistle penalties stretch further. There's an angle there to work a system into place to curb junk flash beyond judgement. Have the deleted flash deduct its B/P from the UJ voters' records, if it doesn't already.

Otherwise a once-a-year flash audit would weed out the shit. Like tax day, everyone who voted on flashes flagged and deemed worthless would lose the respective points all at once when the time rolled around.

Otherwise I don't see this problem ever being fixed without wholly butchering the portal itself.

We gladly feast upon those who would subdue us.

BBS Signature
DiMono
DiMono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 01:10 AM Reply

The problem with the portal as it is now is that you only really have any incentive to vote 0 or 5, because those are the votes that give the flash in question the greatest odds of giving you points for your vote. If you vote an honest 2, and the submission is blammed by 0.01, then a vote of 5 would have saved you your save point, and most people only need to learn that lesson once. I know I never vote 1, but I usually vote 2 or 3 on most flashes anyway because that's what they usually deserve.

The solution, I think, is to make save points awarded not based on whether the submission passed judgment, but how close your vote was to the real rating when it made it through the portal. I detailed this earlier, but basically, if you vote 5 and it passes with a 2.1, you don't get a point. If you vote 2 and it passes with a 2.8, you do. Blam points would have to stay as they are, though, because otherwise it could end up rewarding people for voting 2 on a submission that didn't make it through judgment.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 01:22 AM Reply

It's a good idea but it would probably take away a lot of the appeal of Newgrounds to all the non members and believe it or not but a large part of the rating for some flashes are actually from non members. Maybe it could just be applied to the art and audio portal or something.

It seems like a good idea though but I bet it's more complicated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 01:47 AM Reply

Telling people the moral reasons for voting fairly is useless(i.e., THE ARTIST IS TRYING TO MAKE A NAME FOR HIMSELF/HERSELF WON'T YOU PLEASE OH PLEASE VOTE FAIRLY).

Instead of punishing bad voting habits, reward good ones.

Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 02:29 AM Reply

I've read some great suggestions here, especially DiMono's.

But we all know that the best motivation is fear. Not rewards, but fear.

Remember that Wade. Remember it.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
DiMono
DiMono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 03:21 AM Reply

At 4/15/11 02:29 AM, Lorkas wrote: I've read some great suggestions here, especially DiMono's.

I like it so much I'm going to use it on my own site.

SlashFirestorm
SlashFirestorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Animator
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 04:49 AM Reply

At 4/15/11 02:29 AM, Lorkas wrote: But we all know that the best motivation is fear. Not rewards, but fear.

Strongly agree with this statement.

If a few statwhores lose a few tens of thousands of points, maybe others will reconsider the next time they want to give a goddamn slideshow of static images a weekly Flash Portal award.

i mean the drawings were great but the art portal button is literally an inch and a half away from the flash portal button what the fuck

Slash's call
was absorbed
by the darkness.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 11:06 AM Reply

I really like some of the ideas that have been mentioned here --- they are much better than any idea that I can think of.
However, the challenge remains, say that cereal submits a blank screen with five other users, all of them have decent VP and all of them vote 5 on the submission. Further assume that three statswhores with a combined VP of 30.00 vote 5 on it as well. Then it becomes nearly impossible for others to blam the submission. Does any of you have any idea to prevent mass voting?

BBS Signature
AVXAVXAVX
AVXAVXAVX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 03:07 PM Reply

At 4/15/11 11:06 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote: I really like some of the ideas that have been mentioned here --- they are much better than any idea that I can think of.
However, the challenge remains, say that cereal submits a blank screen with five other users, all of them have decent VP and all of them vote 5 on the submission. Further assume that three statswhores with a combined VP of 30.00 vote 5 on it as well. Then it becomes nearly impossible for others to blam the submission. Does any of you have any idea to prevent mass voting?

Simply don't let people vote on their own submissions, including the collaborators. Now theres always the thing that these spam collaborators don't actually join in on the flash until it has passed, this can best be dealt with by making it so once they've voted on it they cannot be a part of the collab. Another alternative could be collab accounts or something but thats another discussion.

Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 11:11 PM Reply

Earlier today, I tried to blam four consecutive submissions because they were all garbage, and it turned out that all of them were blammed. It has been years since I blammed four submissions in a row. There is still hope! :)

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Revolution 2011 - Voting Habits Apr. 15th, 2011 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 4/15/11 11:11 PM, Dream-of-Duke wrote: Earlier today, I tried to blam four consecutive submissions because they were all garbage, and it turned out that all of them were blammed. It has been years since I blammed four submissions in a row. There is still hope! :)

Feels good to get blams. I haven't been able to get a lot lately since I didn't vote as much this week since I didn't watch anything therefore I didn't vote. I saw one submission the other day where it passed with a score of 2.01, few hours later it was still alive with a score of 1.21. Wow!!

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature