Respond to this Topic
DUDE4U
DUDE4U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jan. 18th, 2002 @ 07:26 AM Reply

yes the dude above me is the founder and i'm the vice president........so if ya didn't know then ya know now......learn it people

DUDE4U
DUDE4U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? May. 22nd, 2002 @ 11:08 AM Reply

At 1/14/02 12:57 AM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote:
At 12/14/01 11:27 PM, DUDE4U wrote:
At 12/14/01 11:23 PM, DUDE4U wrote: sup every body. i gotta request. if ya in the blam club u should make it where it can be recognized. like on ur BBS signature
but if ya don't wanna change ur signature then me(vice president) and the president of the blam club will understand

Yup, I am the president of the BLAM club (Founder)

and you changed it anyway

Chr0me
Chr0me
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 5th, 2004 @ 09:34 AM Reply

that would be a kick ass idea

soulofevil666
soulofevil666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 15th, 2004 @ 04:27 AM Reply

Damn you S**T just do it and lets see if it works good

Edvin
Edvin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 15th, 2004 @ 12:11 PM Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

I did a topic about the same subject, about ng users voting 0 or5 !!! They all said i was a fucked up lunatic !!! I'm just glad Tom maid a topic about the same problem !!! Now, time for some payback !!! hehe.......

JTtheLar
JTtheLar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 18th, 2004 @ 06:28 PM Reply

long as i can blam im cool, and i do see what you mean i dont use any thing but 0 or 5 anyway, why dont you put up a vote on wether to change it or not, pop it on the front page and let the users decide.

Kurt-1
Kurt-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 20th, 2004 @ 05:27 AM Reply

It should be like the NG mag system

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 20th, 2004 @ 11:48 AM Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: What does everyone think of this?

Sorry to bring it back up because I know it probably won't happen this far in the future but I think that's an excellent idea.

I'm tired of everyone voting 0's and 5's.

white-moses
white-moses
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 21st, 2004 @ 08:44 PM Reply

maybe you can use a third kind of thumb, the one who isn't down or up but in the middle, just in case the movie isn't so bad, but neather so good, you know? gotta say, great idea, but you gotta put something in it that's just in tha middle of the two

skipallmighty
skipallmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 21st, 2004 @ 11:40 PM Reply

well i myself think this is a good i dea a lot of voters do vote in a 'yay or nay' style any way so this is a just a more facated way of making it that way so i think it is a good i dea
-skip

2lazy2pickname
2lazy2pickname
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 26th, 2004 @ 07:10 PM Reply

The thumbs up/thumbs down is a great idea. I think you should switch to it.

Source-of-numbness
Source-of-numbness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 27th, 2004 @ 11:33 AM Reply

good i only use 0 and 5 cause it doesn't hurt a crappy movie to vote 1 or 2

New Voting System?

theINFECTOR
theINFECTOR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jun. 27th, 2004 @ 10:41 PM Reply

as long as a thumbs down would have just as much as a drastic change as a 0 does im down with it cuz i wanna still have as much voting power as i do now.

FiretruckJoe
FiretruckJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jul. 3rd, 2004 @ 11:24 PM Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site...
What does everyone think of this?

Eh, I like the way it is right now but I'm probably one of the only people who votes using more than two of the buttons. Either way I don't think It'd matter, the site would still kick ass.

Grey-Fox-Leader
Grey-Fox-Leader
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jul. 10th, 2004 @ 05:48 PM Reply

I find the thumbs up/thumbs down idea cool, but it will create few problems too. You will have to change all the ratings of the older flash, but how will you change it to be really representative? If you continue with your idea, it will be hard to say how much a flash rated 2.65 can be worth in a percentage scale. You have to be careful with it. And you have to think that a majority of the scores are under 3.00, so under 60 %. For the newbie who comes on Newgrounds for the first time, if he saw 25 movies with a 50 % rate... I think you got my point.

Cinderblock
Cinderblock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jul. 23rd, 2004 @ 10:16 PM Reply

It could be a Good idea.

The movies or games that i love i ussually vote 5 but sometimes i vote 4 by the graphics.

But i now vote 5 because when i vote 4 on those movies or games that i love it always says that i'm lowering it's score.

New Voting System?

aKaShia
aKaShia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jul. 30th, 2007 @ 01:49 AM Reply

NO! This is gay!

alicetheDroog
alicetheDroog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jul. 30th, 2007 @ 03:03 PM Reply

i dunno. i think the way it is is good, because you decide on how much of a diffrence you wanna make.

I miss my old sig )=

alicetheDroog
alicetheDroog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jul. 30th, 2007 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 7/30/07 03:03 PM, alicetheDroog wrote: i dunno. i think the way it is is good, because you decide on how much of a difference you wanna make.

yeah, i make a pretty good point, don't i?

I miss my old sig )=

Coolio-Niato
Coolio-Niato
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jul. 30th, 2007 @ 07:32 PM Reply

That has got to be the sloppiest Idea I've ever heard. I always vote using all of the numbers. And the fact that many are saying to have a good bad and middle number is just more reason to keep all the 6 numbers we have already. Altho the MAJORITY dont use them, other users such as myself use all of them.

Why change something that already works? Who gives if the majority vote 0 or 5? I know many who do this only do it for the deposit points anyways. And how would the top 50 work then? None would recieve anything BUT thumbs up. I know those submissions are subjective to mainly 5s and 4s, and those 4s make a difference in that area of NG.

Scores would be grossly innaccurate I would say. Im a BIG no against this. Sorry tom =(

Dark-Knight
Dark-Knight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Jul. 30th, 2007 @ 08:48 PM Reply

Yeh I agree but there should also be like a " I DONT CARE" button

cause some movies in the portal there not shit and there not great eather..

so you definetly need a in between..

"He Who Devours Your Entrails & Enjoys It" : Lobo

BBS Signature
bonjovis
bonjovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 3rd, 2007 @ 03:37 PM Reply

I am one of the few people that actually use the 1-4 buttons, and so I agree that it shouldn't have to be all-or-nothing, or even with a button in the middle. I think we should keep the voting system as it is.

Flee
Flee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Animator
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 4th, 2007 @ 11:25 PM Reply

lol, wut?

buggysgobooom
buggysgobooom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 5th, 2007 @ 12:00 AM Reply

i like it

kickin old skool when im dead

BBS Signature
55555yuma
55555yuma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 5th, 2007 @ 12:52 PM Reply

hell yeah

ha new signature!!!

BBS Signature
MiddleFingerRings
MiddleFingerRings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 6th, 2007 @ 02:42 AM Reply

I'd say that having three options; good, average or bad, is the best way. Movies are not just good or bad, there is an in-between. I personally usually only use 0, 3 and 5.

BBS Signature
Chris-Aldin
Chris-Aldin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 6th, 2007 @ 10:08 AM Reply

It is a good idea when you think of it that way. But then there are quite a few movies out there that are not good enough to warrant a 5 or bad enough for a 0. Yes, it is true most people vote 5 or 0, but thats usually for getting the blam/protect points and sometimes in the top50. It happens everytime an awesome submission comes into the portal, itll get lets say a 4.40 and then it makes it to the top50 of all time and its score slowly and eventually plummets to something like a 4.25 or 4.24. This is evidence of people voting 0 because they want their favourite submission at the top. But that wont change with the new rating system, these amazing submissions will still lose their superior score and become one with the others. Once a submission actually makes it to the portal, from what i have heard and seen in some reviews, people vote on in for how good it is because it doesnt matter to them whether its score drops or raises 0.01. And the last thing I have to say about the possible new rating system is that it wont be as easy to distinguish the amazing submissions from some of the worse ones. With only 2 options, and people see an ok movie/game what do they do? They may end up voting Thumbs Down or thumbs up and hence receiving the same vote as something horrible or something awesome when it really doesnt deserve it.

Basically I think this idea would be good for some things, but for the most part itll just make things harder to distinguish from each other. And there are still many people who use this current system the way it was meant to be used, by voting 0,1,2,3,4, or 5 accordingly.

BBS Signature
Chris-Aldin
Chris-Aldin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 6th, 2007 @ 10:15 AM Reply

At 7/10/04 05:48 PM, Grey-Fox-Leader wrote: I find the thumbs up/thumbs down idea cool, but it will create few problems too. You will have to change all the ratings of the older flash, but how will you change it to be really representative? If you continue with your idea, it will be hard to say how much a flash rated 2.65 can be worth in a percentage scale. You have to be careful with it. And you have to think that a majority of the scores are under 3.00, so under 60 %. For the newbie who comes on Newgrounds for the first time, if he saw 25 movies with a 50 % rate... I think you got my point.

Yea thats another thing, it may be harder for the many newbs to follow if they see so many things with roughly the same score (early after it passes judgement so there are not many vots in total)

And like AlicetheDroog said a little bit before me, its good to affect something the way you want.
And last thing, How will the VOTING POWER work when there are just two options?

BBS Signature
computergeek67
computergeek67
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 6th, 2007 @ 01:23 PM Reply

I use all of the ratings buttons. If they were changed, though then the buttons would look like the hallpass.com pass and fail buttons.
Example:

New Voting System?

karrachr000
karrachr000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? Aug. 6th, 2007 @ 02:49 PM Reply

I'm sorry to say that that would be both a good and bad idea...
It would be good for those who do vote either a 0 or a 5, but for those like me who do give submissions the actual score they deserve. This also might mess up the Blam / Protect system.