Respond to this Topic
TheDarkLordofMetal
TheDarkLordofMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-28 17:59:30 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

First of all, a mediocre like "middle thumb" option would make it worse. The percentage score just matters on yes, therefore just lowering the damn score, although it would do just as good as a no. If it was like this with the percent of yes, the choices would be exactly the same as "good,bad, or bad". Instead, you should put 3 percents or maybe a graph showing who put yes, mediocre, or no. But other than that, it doesn't seem like that bad of an idea.

ilovewhiteout
ilovewhiteout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-28 18:05:30 Reply

At 8/28/01 01:13 PM, flank_hoss wrote: Hey i got It!!!! Thumbs up, an ok sign like you make with your hand, and the FINGER! yeah dude you gotta have the FINGER. somebody back me up on this.

That's a really awesome idea! The finger could be used for a movie that REALLy sucked ass.

Pepitoon2001
Pepitoon2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-29 00:03:24 Reply

nonononononononono. i get 4 rods to the hogshead and thats the way i likes it...wait, are we talking about the metric system? what? thumbs up thumbs down? thats stupid. who thought of that? HIM? o crap. dont revoke my membership.even though the idea sucks.

Haxter
Haxter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-29 01:40:13 Reply

I like that idea. You should give it a Newgrounds look though. A simple hand icon would be all to boring.

EdWolfman
EdWolfman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-29 05:18:03 Reply

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

This gets a fat thumbs up for the idea it would stop movies at the top differing by 0.02 votes and get some serious results go for it you got my thums up!

kevyn1234
kevyn1234
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-29 14:36:09 Reply

hey u guys at newgrounds go for the thumbs up/down idea i think u are right by dropping the 0-5 scale it would be easier and like u said it will still help with telling the good from the bad well later skater

Hector2002uk
Hector2002uk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-29 17:57:57 Reply

one word : NO its better the way it is as

etwas
etwas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-29 19:23:55 Reply

But Tom, it seems so....wrong, so very crass. If anything, the portal needs something like a 1-10 rating system, not this dumbing-down. If a luser finds himself using only 0 and 5, then that is his own damn problem.

Let me elaborate - a lot of new flash artists (if one wishes to call them that) use this site to post their works and see on what they need improvement. Thus they can tell they're doing better this time if they get a 1.63 instead of a .67 . I may give such a flash movie a 1 if it didn't completely suck, or a two if it made me laugh.

Removing this distinction would compromise any usefulness of the rating system. Furthermore, more movies would get voted off because it is harder to give a 'thumbs up' to movies that were only 'good'. That's what the '3' rating is for. It's not neutral, it just means that the film was good - not that it induced multiple orgasms.

Please don't do this. I know the rating system needs some revision, but not in this manner. I've been hanging around Newgrounds almost since the beginning (long before finally signing up to get XP), and would really hate to see the portal go to shit.

DerangedElectro
DerangedElectro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-30 00:27:06 Reply

Hmmm, I'm still willing to stay with the old system, but I might change my mind.

martino103
martino103
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-30 10:13:12 Reply

I think this is a good idea.

therock82642
therock82642
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-30 12:52:42 Reply

great idea

Dave21
Dave21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-30 23:53:47 Reply

Zyply
Zyply
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Programmer
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-31 00:53:05 Reply

Great Idea butt...

1)Thumbs Up
2)Thumbs Middle (something)
3)Thumbs Down

iamyourgod
iamyourgod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-31 04:28:21 Reply

i think u should have the knew way because i only use 0 and 5 so the thumbs up and down gets my thumbs up

jabbathehut
jabbathehut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-31 07:08:13 Reply

perfect

strict930
strict930
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-31 11:59:07 Reply

Why? Why over-simplify? I like the current system. I use all the buttons! I swear!

New Voting System?

EvilBobTheAlmighty
EvilBobTheAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-31 20:19:44 Reply

DUDE MAKE AN ERASE SYSTEM WITH THUMB THING man some shit like dbz funny spoof that shit sucks!!!!!!!
please make an erase button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Voting System?

EvilBobTheAlmighty
EvilBobTheAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-31 20:21:07 Reply

MAKE AN ERASE SYSTEM

New Voting System?

Rongi
Rongi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-31 20:58:21 Reply

I like the system i say yes. Oh can you make a Sonic the Hedgehog celection?

Bandit0ne
Bandit0ne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-08-31 21:06:05 Reply

Overall i think that its a pretty good idea, but what about the people with enormous points-like bomb. That would mean for those members giving an extreme vote all the time (as it would for everyone else) and having their shitload of points to back that up. Genius theory says we'd see alot more ups and downs-with being able to vote neutrally-they could make or break entrys

worksucks
worksucks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-03 04:00:53 Reply

it sounds good but what about the experience and how much the vote counts? like the grounds gold your vote counts as more or less, would it work similar with the thumbs up thumbs down?

Xx-DEADLINE-xX
Xx-DEADLINE-xX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-03 05:29:37 Reply

Sounds great..

TpK
TpK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-03 16:06:08 Reply

The new vothing system is a well good idea, it would be a lot easier to use!!!!

MarleyEFuck
MarleyEFuck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-03 22:34:34 Reply

I think that's a good idea.
But you should have thumbs up thumbs down and X for offensive movies.
The X wouldnt lower score but it could accumulate points and notify you guys of offensive movies

Thumbs middle could be ok.

Then again, flash newbies would always get thumbs downs, but then again, they always seem to anyway.

Ambusher
Ambusher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-04 03:53:45 Reply

Hey, how did you do the voting thing, like view results and the poll thing?

amymaggot1
amymaggot1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-04 14:19:42 Reply

i think it is a very good idea and i think it would work a lot better thanx amy

slackadaisical
slackadaisical
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-04 22:49:01 Reply

Sounds like the real voters get screwed.

tommeke-be
tommeke-be
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-05 07:40:34 Reply

hello newgrounds, I have an idee for your site, could you place a part on your page wich has links of other sites like newgrounds????

thanks

rasquin.tom@yucom.be

New Voting System?

wildfiredawg
wildfiredawg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-05 12:17:11 Reply

Thats a good idea...y didnt i think of that? lol

TwistedWarlock
TwistedWarlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to New Voting System? 2001-09-05 12:49:42 Reply

since people still use the X button when voting i think you should change that to the middle finger.