New Topic Respond to this Topic
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 6th, 2011 @ 11:04 PM Reply

I've actually been fairly inactive in this thread lately, but don't go thinking it's dead! :O
I've been spending the last couple of weeks fleshing out the details involving the combat engine. This means I've been jotting down as many details as I possibly can and accompanying them with really simple visual examples. I've also more or less decided on the weapons available in the game along with their upgrade branches, but have yet to actually draw them. That'd be the next step.
For now though, here's another doodle of Deyr. I actually really like the way this one turned out, though I'm kind of bad at drawing abs so that part is really sketchy haha
If you say anything odd or out of place though, don't hesitate to comment, I won't lose too much sleep over it.
He's... naked, because I always draw my characters naked for some reason.
Then I add clothes.
I guess it's a somewhat... perverted way of drawing?
I don't know how many of you do this as well.
If at all.

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 7th, 2011 @ 01:04 AM Reply

At 5/6/11 11:04 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: For now though, here's another doodle of Deyr. I actually really like the way this one turned out, though I'm kind of bad at drawing abs so that part is really sketchy haha

Face appears to be a bit on the feminine side.

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 7th, 2011 @ 08:25 AM Reply

At 5/7/11 01:04 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Face appears to be a bit on the feminine side.

I actually thought so as well, but I wasn't sure WHY it looked so feminine... maybe it's the eyes, or the hairstyle.
Should I keep it that way? I think it kind of suits him, personally.
Also, here are a few scanned notebook pages, proof that I'm not lying through my teeth ;D
They're intentionnally too small to read though, don't want to spoil the surprise...!

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 7th, 2011 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 5/7/11 08:25 AM, Kumakun4 wrote:
At 5/7/11 01:04 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Face appears to be a bit on the feminine side.
I actually thought so as well, but I wasn't sure WHY it looked so feminine... maybe it's the eyes, or the hairstyle.
Should I keep it that way? I think it kind of suits him, personally.

i think its the thin neck and jaw, these are both feminine characteristics.
in combination with the long hair and big eyes he looks like a garl.
i'd suggest you play with the proportions

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 7th, 2011 @ 04:43 PM Reply

At 5/7/11 08:33 AM, Flowers10 wrote: i think its the thin neck and jaw, these are both feminine characteristics.
in combination with the long hair and big eyes he looks like a garl.
i'd suggest you play with the proportions

Alright well, I tried lowering and widening the jaw line a bit, made the neck thicker and gave him a pair of legs.
They kind of look flimsy compared to the upper body, but they'll be covered with pants and boots so I won't make too much of a fuss over it.
Next are some clothes...!

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 7th, 2011 @ 11:41 PM Reply

Trying alternate hairstyles, made 'em really simple as they were mostly just to give me an idea of what the hair would look like.
I personally like the top left one.
Any opinions?

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 7th, 2011 @ 11:48 PM Reply

At 5/7/11 11:41 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: Trying alternate hairstyles, made 'em really simple as they were mostly just to give me an idea of what the hair would look like.
I personally like the top left one.
Any opinions?

I agree; top left.
You could also try making one with the hair used in your fullbody WIP, just not in a ponytail :)
Btw, I still like the original.

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 8th, 2011 @ 01:59 AM Reply

Great looking WIP's so far Kuma! Oh how I wish I can see the contents of that notebook. Your character with a ponytail looks great. He kinda resembles this guy.

I like your bear related sig.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Matkingos
Matkingos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 8th, 2011 @ 02:12 AM Reply

Try widening/broadening (or squaring) the jaw, and thinning out the eyelashes a bit if you want to make him look less feminine

silversunned
silversunned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 8th, 2011 @ 07:12 AM Reply

I still say stick with the shortest hair, it's more unique (less generic) and it gives him more of an awesome personality, the top left one actually looks like he has a mullet...

Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 8th, 2011 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 5/8/11 02:12 AM, Matkingos wrote: Try widening/broadening (or squaring) the jaw, and thinning out the eyelashes a bit if you want to make him look less feminine

this!

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 8th, 2011 @ 10:47 AM Reply

At 5/8/11 01:59 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Great looking WIP's so far Kuma! Oh how I wish I can see the contents of that notebook. Your character with a ponytail looks great. He kinda resembles this guy.
I like your bear related sig.

Haha I was actually more inspired by
this guy's hair, but I actually didn't reference and just tried to base it off of what I remembered it to look like. But then I guess I ended up copying Samus' hairstyle, in a way. I don't think it was intentionnal though, I actually hadn't noticed the ressemblance until someone mentionned it in Stickam.
But thank you though! For the compliments, means a lot coming from you :D

At 5/8/11 02:12 AM, Matkingos wrote: Try widening/broadening (or squaring) the jaw, and thinning out the eyelashes a bit if you want to make him look less feminine

I've actually had a few comments about the jaw and I've tried modifying it, but making it any squarer than this gives the character a completely different look than the one I'm looking for. He looks a little too manly, but then I didn't really provide a character description so I can't blame anyone for making suggestions that don't exactly fit him.

At 5/8/11 07:12 AM, silversunned wrote: I still say stick with the shortest hair, it's more unique (less generic) and it gives him more of an awesome personality, the top left one actually looks like he has a mullet...

I was aiming for surfer dude hair, I guess I missed the mark... D:

BBS Signature
silversunned
silversunned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 8th, 2011 @ 06:14 PM Reply

I was aiming for surfer dude hair, I guess I missed the mark... D:

you were going for more of a surfer guy look? well then make the sides longer but don't put any flair to it you know, Side-bangs but not too long or too short LOLOL

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 9th, 2011 @ 09:51 PM Reply

Put more work into the combat engine notes, started working on weapon concepts :D
It's like... upgradable.
So Stone Sword is the original, then you can choose to go with power or speed, or a balance of both.
The bottom one and right one have the same name, I just realized I don't know which one to change, and to what.
Suggestions? :O

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 9th, 2011 @ 10:05 PM Reply

At 5/9/11 09:51 PM, Kumakun4 wrote:

Maybe you could call the lighter faster one a Stone Sabre?

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
Matkingos
Matkingos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 10th, 2011 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 5/9/11 09:51 PM, Kumakun4 wrote:
So Stone Sword is the original, then you can choose to go with power or speed, or a balance of both.
The bottom one and right one have the same name, I just realized I don't know which one to change, and to what.

Quick pointer about the Stone Edge, Matt Rosak also has a sword called the Stone edge in EBF1 and 2. Just a heads up

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 10th, 2011 @ 03:03 PM Reply

Stone Edge for lighter one.
Stone Broadsword for the larger?
Idk, I was looking up synonyms.

Lol, bilbo.
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 18th, 2011 @ 09:36 PM Reply

I actually haven't posted here in a while, I had to job-hunt for a bit and quit my current job, etc.
Not that it's been keeping me that busy, to be perfectly honest.
I actually haven't posted in a while because I've been obsessed with Birth By Sleep and, well... drawing 9 animals kind of winded me after not-drawing for so long.
I've still be drawing even though its been more off than on, bu all the same, here are more concepts! This one is for a spell called Flaming Fists...

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 18th, 2011 @ 09:39 PM Reply

...and this one is for a weapon spell that's actually a combination of Stone Sword and Flaming Fists. I've called it... wait for it...
Firesword!
Genius, I know.

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 18th, 2011 @ 10:12 PM Reply

To Simply put it.. Awesome stuff like this inspires me to draw and that being said you are an inspiration! (to me, and possibly many other artists)

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 18th, 2011 @ 10:16 PM Reply

At 5/18/11 10:12 PM, Ramatsu wrote: To Simply put it.. Awesome stuff like this inspires me to draw and that being said you are an inspiration! (to me, and possibly many other artists)

Well...thank you! I'm flattered. I'm really not quite sure what else to say. Insert generic modest comment here?

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 18th, 2011 @ 10:23 PM Reply

You draw well, keep drawing maybe. I like Samus the best MWUAHAHAHA

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 18th, 2011 @ 10:48 PM Reply

At 5/18/11 10:23 PM, Knocturne wrote: You draw well, keep drawing maybe. I like Samus the best MWUAHAHAHA

Thank you, I always appreciate feedback from the African Asian community.

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 19th, 2011 @ 10:32 PM Reply

So I've actually been trying to learn how to paint digitally today ;D
It's had... mixed results? I honestly don't know. I bugged the guys on Stickam about it for a while-- it yielded interesting insight so I tried to apply these new notions on linework I'd previously made.
Digital painting seems to... really point out the flaws in the anatomy.
I call it "digital painting" losely though, as I'm really not quite sure if I've actually painted, or just raped the smudge tool.
Any feedback would be awesome on this, I've been staring at it for 3 hours now, trying and erasing and starting over from scratch at least 6 or 7 times now, I feel biased.
Is this kind of coloring job any good? D:
More importantly, is it even any different from what I've been doing so far...?
I feel like I've been stuck in a cell-shaded world for so long, not to mention I'm horrified of coloring without linework.

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 20th, 2011 @ 01:21 AM Reply

Going great, maybe you should do some real life so you know what kind of colors the skin has. or you can just go with it, because it already looks good to me!

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 20th, 2011 @ 01:35 AM Reply

At 5/20/11 01:21 AM, Flowers10 wrote: Going great, maybe you should do some real life so you know what kind of colors the skin has. or you can just go with it, because it already looks good to me!

Yeah, the more I'm working on it, the more I'm thinking I should go back to basics and digitally paint some fruits or something...
At least until I get the hang of it.
It's wholly unrelated to the actual game though since it'll be pixel art, so I'm kind of torn.

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 20th, 2011 @ 03:46 AM Reply

Took a break, came back to this drawing, updated the clothes and really thinned out the linework, started coloring her skin. The stomach was referenced, the rest no. Well, it wasn't referenced per se, I'm just going with what I remember from this sweet step-by-step process and all.
The tits were actually the hardest to shade but the most fun for some reason. Go figure. But yeah, giving volume to a pair of jellyous spheres squeezed together is actually a tad bit harder than it looks...?
Maybe I really should paint a fruit basket first.
I think I'm getting the hang of it though. Not entirely sure, but I think.

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 20th, 2011 @ 04:04 AM Reply

First off, I love the way you draw hands. I hadn't had a look at this thread before.

Secondly, I think I preferred the way you shaded the face in your previous post compared to this one. It seems a bit flatter now.

I REALLY like your choice in skin tones too. Very Street Fighter/Capcom-ish.

Great stuff.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 20th, 2011 @ 07:03 AM Reply

At 5/20/11 03:46 AM, Kumakun4 wrote: But yeah, giving volume to a pair of jellyous spheres squeezed together is actually a tad bit harder than it looks...?
Maybe I really should paint a fruit basket first.

Paint a basket of jelly spheres next.

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Kuma's Art...! May. 20th, 2011 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 5/20/11 07:03 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Paint a basket of jelly spheres next.

I actually though about it, but having to draw all the light refractions in the spheres... I would die.
Probably.
A bowl of fruit is probably more solid practice and less likely to make me cry like a little girl :D
More WIPness!
I've got about 8 hours invested in this so far. About half of it is spent staring at the screen, rubbing my chin, wincing while trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to make the light and shadows on the hair to give it volume. Then erasing it. Then trying. Then erasing it again. Then trying again.
I wish I could have kept working on it, this is stupidly addicting but I have work in an hour so I need to get ready D:
Lemme know what you think!
I have no idea why I made her a blonde, it seemed to suit her better than blue hair.
I have no idea why I initially gave her blue hair either.
Probably because it's one of only two colored pencils I carry with me, the other one being red.
...Actually, that would explain Deyr's hair color as well.

Kuma's Art...!

BBS Signature