00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lipinski14D just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

When does one get respect on NG ?

2,255 Views | 49 Replies

When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:17:13

I know I do it, and I'm sure everyone else does it. When your browsing through the forums and shit and your reading a post, you size up the profile of the person who is posting to decide how much weight to give that post.

So I ask you, at what Level / Post Count / Sign-up Date do you consider the user a respectable one? Or do you not judge? Is everyone equal? Am I gay?

:3

--------------- "Disrespect women and acquire currency" ---------------

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:18:43

When you make good threads and / or posts. It's not hard really.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:18:51

When you take enough penises up the butt. You can cheat though, by taking a metal dildo wrapped in barb wire, and sliding it into your bumhole and moving it around to stretch and cut the hole up.

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:19:59

You have to use a light aura.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:22:46

At 4/4/11 07:19 AM, BumFodder wrote: You have to use a light aura.

I thought using the Fab aura automatically gave you over 9000 respect points.

But seriously:

At 4/4/11 07:18 AM, HighWay wrote: When you make good threads and / or posts. It's not hard really.

This is pretty much it. I know '10 and '11 users that have made some decent posts and topics. Posts are one thing, but I've yet to master the art of starting a NewGrounds golden nugget BBS topic.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com

Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:24:54

When they stop asking stupid questions.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:25:28

I wish somebody would give me some respect.

No one loves me :(

Proud Scotsman | PSN: Trystlions | Typing Useless Posts Since 2008

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:34:00

when they stop posting

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:34:44

how burned in they are into your mind

i'd say i'm like #10 or so on the forums atm

we're a punchline to spengler's joke

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:35:12

At 4/4/11 07:17 AM, X-TERRORIST-X wrote: Am I gay?

Yes, you're gay.

I could help at least with one question.

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 07:36:34

When you sign up in 05.

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 09:38:58

At 4/4/11 07:18 AM, HighWay wrote: When you make good threads and / or posts. It's not hard really.

Pony sig = SO MUCH WIN

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 09:43:50

I used to pay attention to things such as level/post count, but as of recent I couldn't really care less. As long as they have some decent form of contribution to the topic at hand then I have every reason to have respect for their post.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 09:44:44

When you have high stats.

Pimp, for example. All he did was reach level 60 and make some flashes

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 09:47:37

At 4/4/11 09:44 AM, SSPBOURNE wrote: When you have high stats.

oops

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 09:51:56

It's really a combination of things and it varies by who is giving the respect. For some it's stats, some people like quality, and others just see certain users more than others.

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 09:58:18

I really, really hate how everyone puts so much emphasis on making topics and stirring discussions. It's gotten to the point where people make a topic just for the sake of making a topic that gets a lot of replies. Having a topic get a lot of replies doesn't mean that you or the topic is successful, and it does not make you cool.

If you have something to say, make a topic about it. If not, don't.

What is wrong with you people?

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 10:11:55

one gets respect on NG when their posts and reviews contain useful or funny information

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 10:25:29

Double edged sword.

Moment you get any kind of 'respect' for whatever reason on here, it's countered by someone who suddenly wants to dislike you for the same reason.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 10:56:45

At 4/4/11 10:25 AM, Gagsy wrote: Double edged sword.

Moment you get any kind of 'respect' for whatever reason on here, it's countered by someone who suddenly wants to dislike you for the same reason.

You being a primary example of this.

No offense.

Some people like Gagsy and tend to agree with her opinions she strongly expresses. Usually, I fall in this category and have known Gagsy as a BBS user for some time now. We disagree sometimes, but no one shared the same opinions.

There are others who hate Gagsy and think she's the biggest attention whore/white knight on Newgrounds. Some express this offensively, while others a better at showing their disapproval by simply avoiding abusive language and instead using logic and common sense when debating with her.

As for Mods, almost everyone has their favourite mod to hate along with every mod to love. Not everyone respects EyeLovePoozy for example, derailing topics he posts in to whine how he lets one person slip by his high standards, yet slap them with a ban for allegedly 'the same thing'.

Universal respect, whether through being liked or simply the begruding respect shown to a rival, is not achievable. Someone will disrespect you, but generally if you post well, admit to mistakes and stand firm in your beliefs you will find some respect amoung the regulars as a BBS user. Make some good content on the portals and you'll find respect amoung a fan base that way.

What ever you do, don't bother with trying to make a name for yourself in the Politics or Writer's Forum. I hear no-one cares who's who in those forums ;D

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:00:59

At 4/4/11 07:34 AM, Sanch wrote: when they stop posting

nope.

At 4/4/11 09:44 AM, SSPBOURNE wrote: When you have high stats.

Pimp is a tool.

At 4/4/11 10:31 AM, Alchemist94 wrote: Yeah, I don't think you really get respect unless you're a mod.

hah! no.

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:13:57

At 4/4/11 10:56 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote:
What ever you do, don't bother with trying to make a name for yourself in the Politics or Writer's Forum. I hear no-one cares who's who in those forums ;D

Sarcasm, right?

Politics isn't so bad if you regular there, and post competently. It can work with any new user. That's really all they ask, and the folks in the lounge thread are actually very friendly to those that know when to debate and when to relax. I haven't even been there in a long time and I can safely vouch for that without fear of being hypocritical.

A lot of people, myself included, are quick to get snarky about the Politics forum. It is however one of the few places I've ever seen online where definite right-wingers can get on moderately well and maturely with definite left-wingers. Not many forums accomodate for that. I sometimes just wish I were a good debater, because despite what some may think (or in confirmation), I'm dreadful at politics.

Writing is a little more obvious. I maintain that I wished that they had thought it over a little more. Not that I'm angry or annoyed or anything. Few attempts at standardisation though has lead to over a year of squabbling over standards, which often unfortunately comes out very snobbishly at times. Some people want to be overly harsh to everyone to force the messge home, wheras I am always more than likely to lay it on lightly. That applies to when I read stuff lightly here (admittedly not happened regularly in a long time) or when I'm doing stuff academically.

There's also the point that more 'experienced' writers (whether that mean they've been here for a long time, or maybe they've been published once or twice) tend to act very... you know, and lesser-knowns have, in my experience with the forum, the tendency to just follow them. This is regardless of whether or not the 'experienced' is actually good or, in my honest opinion, a little overrated. That is the point of the Writing forum after all.

Can I make a point about Wi/Ht being close-knit now too!?

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:26:24

At 4/4/11 07:34 AM, TheDunwichHorror wrote: how burned in they are into your mind

i'd say i'm like #10 or so on the forums atm

Do you SERIOUSLY think that? Nobody even knows who the fuck you are.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:33:46

The most respected thing on NG would have to be experience points. How often do you think Pimp is mentioned as opposed to other record holders like AfroUnderScoreStud and XwaynecoltX? A ton more. I have tons of reviews and I am not the most respected guy out there. Trust me, if there's one way to guarantee how good you are, you have to hold records in experience points. Positive awards help too.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:38:20

To get respect, one must be respectable.

So, do things that you think are respectable. If you get respect: great! You've just solidified your understanding of what is respectable. If you haven't? Well... at least you're trying.

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:39:52

When your sign-up date and post count and value impresses at least 50.01% of the general, active NG BBS population

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!

Sig by Me.

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:42:07

At 4/4/11 11:38 AM, Evark wrote: To get respect, one must be respectable.

Or have a yellow aura. That works too.

Hell, if anything it works better than trying to act reasonably on here. Damn kids and their inability to see past some colours on the side of the posts.

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:42:39

At 4/4/11 11:13 AM, Scarab wrote:
At 4/4/11 10:56 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote:
Sarcasm, right?

No, it was blatantly a statement of fact ;D

The BBS needs a sarcasm HTML button...

Politics isn't so bad if you regular there, and post competently. It can work with any new user. That's really all they ask, and the folks in the lounge thread are actually very friendly to those that know when to debate and when to relax. I haven't even been there in a long time and I can safely vouch for that without fear of being hypocritical.

A lot of people, myself included, are quick to get snarky about the Politics forum. It is however one of the few places I've ever seen online where definite right-wingers can get on moderately well and maturely with definite left-wingers. Not many forums accomodate for that. I sometimes just wish I were a good debater, because despite what some may think (or in confirmation), I'm dreadful at politics.

Meh, the Politics forum's ok. Some of the debate is pretty good, bordering on high end. You really got to know your shit and your sources otherwise you will get butt raped by the regs no matter what side of the spectrum you are.

That said, there are some people who argue for view points that many would describe as leaning extremist, or isolationist, so you do have to keep a cool head on when debating with them as they put up a hell of a fight even when the majority see them as 'wrong'. That, and you get the occassional idiot who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about suddenly going on the defensive and throwing miles of source material at you that you need to check and double check in case you yourself look like the tool. It's horrible trying to say to someone they're misquoting only to find out you misquoted too...

The Regular's lounge is nothing more then a slightly more intelligent General Forum, but I suppose it's a bit of a breath of fresh air.

Writing is a little more obvious. I maintain that I wished that they had thought it over a little more. Not that I'm angry or annoyed or anything. Few attempts at standardisation though has lead to over a year of squabbling over standards, which often unfortunately comes out very snobbishly at times. Some people want to be overly harsh to everyone to force the messge home, wheras I am always more than likely to lay it on lightly. That applies to when I read stuff lightly here (admittedly not happened regularly in a long time) or when I'm doing stuff academically.

The idea of 'standardisation' on a BBS forum is what usually drives me away from making any real effort to contribute in there. That said, I also happen to be pretty lazy and don't adequetly set time aside to indulge in keyboard tapping for creativity :/

There's also the point that more 'experienced' writers (whether that mean they've been here for a long time, or maybe they've been published once or twice) tend to act very... you know, and lesser-knowns have, in my experience with the forum, the tendency to just follow them. This is regardless of whether or not the 'experienced' is actually good or, in my honest opinion, a little overrated. That is the point of the Writing forum after all.

Again, another reason why I don't subscribe to the Writer's forum. In some aspects, it can feel a little elitist, despite Coop's heroic efforts to try and change this image. I guess when the Writer's portal comes out things will be a bit better.

The Writer's Forum can turn into more of a Wi/Ht specifically for writing, similar to the Flash/Art/Programming etc forums, with the added bonus of being a place to host competitions and Roleplays (the one bit of the writer's forum I would have liked if people were a bit more active)

The Elitists and the more friendly Regulars will naturally gravitate to the portal and will use the review/vote system for criticism and most of the cream will naturally float to the top while most of the genuine turd lazy stories will fall to the bottom.

Can I make a point about Wi/Ht being close-knit now too!?

You can, but you'd be wrong. Lololololo.

But seriously, I don't think you get much respect for being a regular on Wi/Ht considering those users who actually use that forum for help naturally expect the answers to be friendly and helpful. It's hard to earn extra respect points for doing what many peple view as 'their job'. You'll find this in every single 'service' environment from paid for/employed to unpaid/free/volunteer sectors, and Wi/Ht fits snuggly as the unofficial BBS Customer Service desk.

Did you woop and cheer and idolise the last guy who gave you atleast moderatly good customer service?

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:51:35

At 4/4/11 10:56 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: You being a primary example of this.

No offense.

None taken, as I was speaking from experience :(

Some people like Gagsy and tend to agree with her opinions she strongly expresses. Usually, I fall in this category and have known Gagsy as a BBS user for some time now. We disagree sometimes, but no one shared the same opinions.

To be honest I don't mind when people dislike me. I give people enough reason to dislike me for my thoughts and opinions. It's when they dislike me because I'm Gagsy that I don't like. That's a stupid reason to dislike someone, because people know them on an internet forum more than they know you.

There are others who hate Gagsy and think she's the biggest attention whore/white knight on Newgrounds. Some express this offensively, while others a better at showing their disapproval by simply avoiding abusive language and instead using logic and common sense when debating with her.

I'd love to 'bate with you sometime ;)

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to When does one get respect on NG ? 2011-04-04 11:59:54

There are a few of core users that get a defult amount of high respect, like Gagsy, TehSlapHappy, WehaveFreshCookies,... Heck, despites all the critiques, Twilight or Cootie get plenty of respect.

I wonder what their basis overall is, but I figure stickam and meetings will probably boost respect levels.

Then you have individual respect, which is user to user based. You can figure that out by the way some users act towards posts by others or in what way users refer to others. I have actual respect for plenty amount of lesser users too.

Conversely being ignored I will take as being indifferent. Being hateful, seeking conflict one sidedly implies a greater form of disrespect.

Personally, I try my best to up my respect level by adding something fruitful in certain discussions. The fact that I'm utterly ignored 95% of the time does prove that this is vastly ineffective.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor