New Topic Respond to this Topic
ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Professional says... Apr. 1st, 2011 @ 01:08 PM Reply

Not to listen to music while you draw or animate (same thing) I just read this in a book written by Richard Williams and it was a page I kept disregarding then I decided to read it. (Those of you who dont know who he is he is the guy that was the animation director behind Who Framed Roger Rabbit, If you never heard of that movie or never seen it well I advise you do so immediatly)

They say not to do it and you will see more improvement in your work, it has to do with when you listen to music your concentrating on more then one thing even when you dont relize it. It was even tested on student artists and they saw improvement.

Im going to put that to the test now for myself and get back you you guys after the first reply.

ugh

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Professional says... Apr. 1st, 2011 @ 09:50 PM Reply

I usually have things running on other screens like movies or music for both keyframing and inbetweening. Got to admit I could only work in silence for a few hours, never an entire work day.

Working on uStream certainly helps gets things done too.. all those watching eyes.. waiting.. judging [ probably not judging =P ]

ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Professional says... Apr. 1st, 2011 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 4/1/11 09:50 PM, maficmelody wrote: I usually have things running on other screens like movies or music for both keyframing and inbetweening. Got to admit I could only work in silence for a few hours, never an entire work day.

Working on uStream certainly helps gets things done too.. all those watching eyes.. waiting.. judging [ probably not judging =P ]

I did try the Ustream thing but when you have 0 viewers it makes it hard to go back :P

ugh

Kollskegg
Kollskegg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Professional says... Apr. 1st, 2011 @ 11:54 PM Reply

I usually listen to music, specifically boards of canada. keeps me focussed and inspired.

ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Professional says... Apr. 2nd, 2011 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 4/1/11 11:54 PM, Kollskegg wrote: I usually listen to music, specifically boards of canada. keeps me focussed and inspired.

I hear ya, I want to listen to music but when I dont I do feel more concentrated...

ugh

Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Professional says... Apr. 2nd, 2011 @ 04:11 PM Reply

yhea ive read richard and that statement of his

now, in my expierience, if im working at something while listening to music i tend to open firefox every ten minutes which often ends up in watching some videos or browsing the web so it hurts my work

i work way better and longer in silence and it keeps me from entering the interwebZ............

....i like having music better though

ama gon chill

ThyGentleman
ThyGentleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Professional says... Apr. 2nd, 2011 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 4/2/11 04:11 PM, Sacros wrote: yhea ive read richard and that statement of his

now, in my expierience, if im working at something while listening to music i tend to open firefox every ten minutes which often ends up in watching some videos or browsing the web so it hurts my work

i work way better and longer in silence and it keeps me from entering the interwebZ............

....i like having music better though

wow, I have the exact same problem...I also do enjoy the music but if it hurts the work then im not going to listen.

ugh

the-muffinman
the-muffinman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Professional says... Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 01:10 PM Reply

I have that book, Animator's survival kit right?

Personally, I like to work in silence. But I think it depends on thed person.
For example, some people prefer to study with music, wheras I can't fully concentrate with it.

BBS Signature
Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Professional says... Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 10:44 PM Reply

I think that tip has to do with baseless opinion without any actual research done in the topic. The truth is that everyone works differently. Do what works for you and stick with it. Try it both ways, document how much work you get done and if you get more work done, great, but I'd expect it to be about the same.

Personally I alternate between the two... but the REAL secret...

is coffee... no joke!

NitWitt
NitWitt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Professional says... Apr. 5th, 2011 @ 10:52 PM Reply

I think it depends on the person, the song, and the animation too. For instance, if it is a music video or fast-paced animation, rhythmic music can help a person stay on track and have a consistent rhythm in their animation. If the music has lyrics though, it can be distracting.
But yeah, different for every situation.