New Topic Respond to this Topic
Cynus
Cynus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-23 19:21:31 Reply

Is there a heavy metal vst instrument that doesn't sound like complete shit?

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-23 20:06:44 Reply

bro you gotta be more specific, heavy metal vst for what? for guitar???, drums??, condoms??(lol heavy metal condoms) keyboard??

Music is my passion , not my business.

Cynus
Cynus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-23 20:26:40 Reply

At 3/23/11 08:06 PM, Acid-Paradox wrote: bro you gotta be more specific, heavy metal vst for what? for guitar???, drums??, condoms??(lol heavy metal condoms) keyboard??

Guitar. Sorry.

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-23 20:42:03 Reply

At 3/23/11 08:26 PM, Cynus wrote: Guitar. Sorry.

nah don't worry mate, anyways:

Guitar Rig

Amplitube

guitar fx

POD farm

In tone

Those will help you out to get that window crusher sound that all your neighbors can't wait to hear

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-23 20:49:58 Reply

hey man i read your post again and i have a doubt? did you mean't a VST guitar amp simulator or did you meant just a guitar vst?? the ones that i posted on my previous post are guitar amps simulators but just in case you meant just guitar vst:

Electri6ity

That's the true definition of having a guitar on your keyboard, take a look at the sound demos they have, your head will explode due to the epicness of this beast

seel
seel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-24 10:19:32 Reply

Yeah Electri6ity is the only one at the moment that doesn't sound like complete shit/liquid ass.

Though I suggest running the raw guitars from it into an amp sim from Lepou or TSE, then into a speaker cabinet impulse.

picklesandwichh
picklesandwichh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-24 16:06:19 Reply

You'll have trouble getting a convincing guitar sound without actually playing it or getting someone else to play it. However, this is a good start: http://refx.com/products/slayer2/summary /

Cynus
Cynus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-24 16:31:48 Reply

Uh, yeah a guitar vst. I'm a noob, so if I can find a VST guitar instrument with metal distortion already put in it, then I'll take it. Oh by the way, my budget is ZERO, so I'll need something free if possible(it's probably not.)

Also, I have a distortion VST called Redskull. I heard it's pretty good, but I have nothing to test it on. See, I can record my guitar, but it is a really crappy guitar, and also I use audacity to record, sop there's no point in trying.

BUT, if anyone knows a free, distortion-free guitar vst, there might be a possibility I could use Redskull on that, and have a decent sound. So if any of you know one, then please say so :)

EricFreeman
EricFreeman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-24 17:15:30 Reply

At 3/24/11 04:06 PM, picklesandwichh wrote: However, this is a good start: http://refx.com/products/slayer2/summary /

LOL

I hope that's sarcasm, Slayer 1 & 2 are both awful!

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-24 17:23:18 Reply

You'd be better off putting distortion on a piano and tweaking it a bit to sound like a guitar (It's very possible and I'm not the only one who would vouch for this) if you're looking for something free.

Guitar VSTs are generally expensive if you want half decent quality, because the amount of sampling that has to go into a guitar VST to give it a sound that is even close to what a real guitar sounds like is mind boggling. The guitar is one of the most dynamic instruments on the planet, and is therefore ridiculously difficult to recreate electronically should you want all the dynamics that come with it (Palm mutes, bends, slides, harmonics, etc.).

So as long as you aren't looking to do anything to complicated with it, a piano with some distortion and a little tweaking can get you by. But if you want something more diverse, you'd be better off finding someone who can play guitar for you unless you're willing to dish out some cash.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Cynus
Cynus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-24 17:41:55 Reply

Well, i can play guitar pretty good, but like I said, I have no recording techniques or equipment.

Anyhoo, about the piano. Can you show my how to do this? Or know someone who can?

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-24 17:50:24 Reply

At 3/24/11 05:41 PM, Cynus wrote: Well, i can play guitar pretty good, but like I said, I have no recording techniques or equipment.

Anyhoo, about the piano. Can you show my how to do this? Or know someone who can?

Well, if you can hook your guitar up to the PC, there are a few free distortion effects out there (I couldn't really name any, as I've spent probably $2000+ on my guitars/equipment by now, so I've no need for the free stuff).

As for the piano, just grab a distortion VST, throw it on the piano and play around with the envelope and reverb a bit, there's really no perfect way to do it, it really depends on what kind of sound you want. I'd point you in the direction of the person that got me started on it, but I honestly can't remember who it was I picked this technique up from.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
B0UNC3
B0UNC3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-25 02:20:47 Reply

Impact Soundworks: Shreddage

Combining that with Electri6ty (whatevz the name) and the amps mentioned above you're pretty much set.

Avoid slayer 1 and 2 at all costs though.

CenterWall | Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter

Avizura
Avizura
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Heavy Metal Vst 2011-03-25 12:05:55 Reply

Yeah Slayer is bad indeed, but this demo sounds pretty cool: http://refxcache.com/slayer2/slayer2.mp3
But yeah I agree, it still sucks.

Fl l.l i '/. l.l l' Fl